The Coming War - Trump vs. Desantis

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: The Coming War - Trump vs. Desantis

Post by Carpet_pissr »

More Whitey signalling! Damn, he's good.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LOL!

does trump use white power signals?
I'm sorry, but I am not able to browse the internet and therefore do not have information about current events or specific individuals.

Fine, did George Washington use white power signalling?
I am not able to provide information about specific individuals or events. White power signaling is a relatively recent phenomenon and it is highly unlikely that George Washington or any other historical figure would have used it.

:ninja:
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

DeSantis’ anti-Trump strategy - go all out anti-vax:

The base hates vaccines.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

How funny (not).
Literally, the only thing that Trump did positively for COVID was to actually put some small value in being vaccinated for it. Not so far as to promote vaccinations, but to put a small value on being vaccinated.

Also, total aside:
what the hell is it with the GOPs trying to gain the love of "particularly young men" in their statistical narrative?

Am I being idiotic to assume this is their appeal to incel?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

WSJ poll finds DeSantis leads Trump among likely primary voters:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ron-desant ... 1670989311

My hope is that if Trump loses, he takes his voters and tells them to stay home. Regardless, if he is beaten in the primaries, it’s going to be delicious.

That said, DeSantis is better AND worse than Trump. He’s definitely not as crazy as Trump which is on the plus side. But he is a smarter version of Trump, which makes him more dangerous in some ways. He’s more calculating, he’s more savvy, and he is willing to use the govt not just to govern, but to punish political opponents.

The next two years are going to be interesting for sure.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Just wait until Elon throws in. Wheeee!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:34 am Just wait until Elon throws in. Wheeee!
Throws in for what? POTUS? He can't be POTUS.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, no. He's going to magnify the derpisphere. You know, to counter all that liberal bias that was working against TFG between 2016 and 2020.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm still convinced that the DeSantis appeal is largely a product of wishful thinking. Most of the GOP's leading lights understand that Trump is toxic and that there's a solid chance he gets indicted. Their great hope is that DeSantis represents "MAGA without (or after) Trump."

But DeSantis is a plodding, petulant, uncharismatic doughy guy. He's Ted Cruz without the baggage of long familiarity. His current strategy of leaning into the culture war indicates weakness, not strength; it's how you appeal to the MAGA base but not to swing-state independents.

DeSantis will never be able to hold a Trump-style rally. He just doesn't have the stage presence for it. Trump is a TV star while DeSantis is the dealer who tries to sell you on undercoating for your car.

He's also peaking early. If and when Trump's fall comes about, DeSantis will instantly become the target every other Republican needs to take down, and he won't have the shield of Trumpian charisma to protect him.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I always felt that the one thing saving us from Trump was Trump. He was too incompetent to be as dangerous as he wanted to be. A competent Trump-like? I almost think we'd be better with the original.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:44 pm I always felt that the one thing saving us from Trump was Trump. He was too incompetent to be as dangerous as he wanted to be. A competent Trump-like? I almost think we'd be better with the original.
I am of the same mind. I feel like the stewards of the country (those that will come out and vote against Trump) are perhaps reliable. It's disturbingly close, but I hold on to some comfort that I think "America" may be over him as an electable candidate (*state voting shenanigans notwithstanding)... But to introduce a viable alternative that may be able to 'wink and nod' his way with the former Trump base into jumping Trump's ship - it makes me worry.

Now that being said, I think DeSantis may find that his national appeal isn't quite the same 'ass-whooping' that he is able to show in Florida. Especially because I think that the 'stewards of the country' group would see him as being the new Trump.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:41 pm I'm still convinced that the DeSantis appeal is
The narrative that has me convinced is:

Florida has seen a great influx of residents that moved there specifically for DeSantis' politics. He wins in Florida because it's a concentrated DeSantis country. The rest of the country fell in love with Trump and hasn't switched... but the fear is (IMO) if DeSantis can harness the "Hate King" crown... if that happens - then we are up for a change in leadership and the new leadership will indeed be better at being horrible.

I still like to think that the stewards of the country would respond appropriately to this.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Those folks all moved from somewhere, too.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:20 pm Those folks all moved from somewhere, too.
Yeah.
Places with electoral votes that will no longer hear their political voice.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:01 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:34 am Just wait until Elon throws in. Wheeee!
I would have agreed with that a few years ago. However, he’s an American God (wealth). With enough money, I’m not sure anything is off the table.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Unagi wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:38 pm
Florida has seen a great influx of residents that moved there specifically for DeSantis' politics.
That’s an assertion I’ll need to see some evidence for. A quick google search says jobs, weather, lower taxes, cheaper housing, etc. Nothing said anywhere about political reasons, much less DeSantis. And governors come and go - who is going to uproot and move because of a guy that will be out of office on 4 - 8 years.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:00 am
Yet.
You really think a constitutional amendment could get through to make that happen?
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:41 pm I'm still convinced that the DeSantis appeal is largely a product of wishful thinking. Most of the GOP's leading lights understand that Trump is toxic and that there's a solid chance he gets indicted. Their great hope is that DeSantis represents "MAGA without (or after) Trump."

But DeSantis is a plodding, petulant, uncharismatic doughy guy. He's Ted Cruz without the baggage of long familiarity. His current strategy of leaning into the culture war indicates weakness, not strength; it's how you appeal to the MAGA base but not to swing-state independents.

DeSantis will never be able to hold a Trump-style rally. He just doesn't have the stage presence for it. Trump is a TV star while DeSantis is the dealer who tries to sell you on undercoating for your car.

He's also peaking early. If and when Trump's fall comes about, DeSantis will instantly become the target every other Republican needs to take down, and he won't have the shield of Trumpian charisma to protect him.
The main reason to think that DeSantis has a shot against Trump is that the conservative media machine is, at the moment, pushing him over Trump. The Republican elites want to ditch Trump because he's an overall liability, and the conservative media is the necessary tool for getting Republican primary voters on board.

Obviously the conservative media (and 99% of the GOP) will immediately switch to "we have always loved the Dear Leader above all" mode immediately if Trump is on the path to winning the nomination. But I do think that DeSantis has a shot.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:11 am
Yet.
You really think a constitutional amendment could get through to make that happen?
I really think that governments and specifically the rule of law is an idea that doesn't exist in the physical world. It only exists because enough people believe in it. We are seeing the erosion of that belief, and things that were considered unthinkable only 10 years ago, have been happening (politically, judicially, civically, etc). That's putting it a BIT strongly, but it's no longer as silly an idea as it was a few years ago is my point here.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:22 am
pr0ner wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:11 am
Yet.
I really think that governments and specifically the rule of law is an idea that doesn't exist in the physical world. It only exists because enough people believe in it. We are seeing the erosion of that belief, and things that were considered unthinkable only 10 years ago, have been happening (politically, judicially, civically, etc). That's putting it a BIT strongly, but it's no longer as silly an idea as it was a few years ago is my point here.
It's absolutely a silly idea.

Elon Musk will never be POTUS. 0.0% chance.
Hodor.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Barf.

Also, what an unattractive laugh.

It’s like the Green Goblin’s cackling.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Grifman wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:41 am
They should just get a room…or make a NFT of the two of them with Tucker gazing lovingly upon his idol.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The war heats up:

“If he runs, that’s fine. I’m way up in the polls. He’s going to have to do what he wants to do, but he may run,” Trump told The Associated Press in an interview after a campaign appearance in South Carolina on Saturday. “I do think it would be a great act of disloyalty because, you know, I got him in. He had no chance. His political life was over.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3 ... point/amp/
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I miss the olden days, when I would evaluate the GOP nominee on whether I could consider voting for them. I haven't voted for a Republican for president since Gerald Ford, but I have at least considered it a time or two...most recently, for John McCain, until he paired up with Palin.

I wonder if Republicans will ever nominate a worthy person again, or if only the worst of the worst will forever win the primaries.

My newsfeed said that Nikki Hailey is going to throw her name in the hat. She seems not-crazy and un-evil, but she does have the stench of trump on her.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hailey is a two faced sycophant. She condemned Donnie when it was politically safe and then backs away from that when confronted by any of the orange shitbags fans. She’s not someone I would ever vote for.

Anyone from the Trump admin is a lost cause. They’re a rot that has to be cut away to save the party. If that’s even possible at this point.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:34 pmShe seems not-crazy and un-evil, but she does have the stench of trump on her.
Wait until you get a good look because she is the understated crazy of GOP olde and she is evil though in a far less fascist way (think slimy). She probably has no chance of getting the nomination in any case.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:19 am
Kraken wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:34 pmShe seems not-crazy and un-evil, but she does have the stench of trump on her.
Wait until you get a good look because she is the understated crazy of GOP olde and she is evil though in a far less fascist way (think slimy). She probably has no chance of getting the nomination in any case.
I wasn't suggesting that I'd consider her so much as lamenting whether I can ever even think about supporting a national-stage Republican again. I mean, she has no chance because she isn't crazy evil enough.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah I got that. That whole party went off the rails. I actually voted for Dole and Bush (the first time). Dole at least was a good man. Bush was...surrounded by the onset of this madness. It's hard to believe it has gotten so much worse than that even.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:50 am Yeah I got that. That whole party went off the rails. I actually voted for Dole and Bush (the first time). Dole at least was a good man. Bush was...surrounded by the onset of this madness. It's hard to believe it has gotten so much worse than that even.
Yeah, it's crazy to look back at clips from like the Bush --> Obama transition, or like McCain talking about how Obama was a good man that he just had political disagreements with, and realize how much our political system has decayed in so short of a time. But part of it is that the past few decades there's been significant rot that lots of people across the political spectrum were downplaying - like the Brooks Brothers riot was a really bad sign thinking back on it.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:01 pmBut part of it is that the past few decades there's been significant rot that lots of people across the political spectrum were downplaying - like the Brooks Brothers riot was a really bad sign thinking back on it.
That was the first outward sign of how radical it might become. What's interesting is that institutional rot outside the GOP was setting in at the same time elsewhere. For example, when you look at Whitewater now it is clear that was a massive failure by the NY Times. That could be seen as the early 90s equivalent of the Hunter Biden laptop turned into a major, major scandal that lasted throughout Clinton's whole Presidency.

The GOP whispered that idea into the ear of someone with ambition and it took a life of its own. To this day the NY Times still hasn't reckoned with it and instead were all too happy to follow the GOP, FBI turncoats, and others down rabbit holes through the years. Our "paper of record". With time the pattern is clearer. So many of our institutions just became corrupt - likely mostly because of the judicious application of money by bad actors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's also why I don't agree with the premise of this thread; I don't believe for a second DeSantis is a viable candidate for President in 2024 - especially with how much power he has there and the damage he can continue to do in FL as Governor. That doesn't mean he won't try in a future election, but I don't think it's Trump vs DeSantis in 2024.

And that's really what's hilarious to me. Either the GOP has to go all in on Trump in 2024 or risk him splitting the ticket and hurting their chances overall.

At the same time, the Democrats can't realistically float Biden again and yet they have no one else that's seemingly even trying.

We're all in Hell. There is no other rational explanation.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I don't want to think what happens if we end up seeing an economic slowdown in Q4 2023 or Q1 2024.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:59 pm It's also why I don't agree with the premise of this thread; I don't believe for a second DeSantis is a viable candidate for President in 2024 - especially with how much power he has there and the damage he can continue to do in FL as Governor. That doesn't mean he won't try in a future election, but I don't think it's Trump vs DeSantis in 2024.
The thing to bear in mind, though, is that the Grifter Class is increasingly betting on DeSantis 2024:

Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's all true, but it goes back to what I'd said. There could be a significant number of GOP members (and their disciples) that support and would vote for DeSantis in isolation. They might want to crown him the next big thing, but TFG isn't going to allow it while he still has power. There's no scenario here where TFG doesn't burn the GOP to the ground as a 3rd party candidate if they don't endorse him.

Just like we saw with the House insanity last month, there are party members that are clearly done with him and they know they have to move on to someone else. The problem is TFG still commands too many MAGAts across the nation; I don't get the impression they're jumping ship.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I honestly don't think DeSantis has the charisma to be elected even if Trump wasn't in the picture. The guy is a whiny little bitch and a terrible debater. He's done fine in the confines of his illegally gerrymandered state, but on a national stage?

The pages of history are littered with the remains of presidential candidates who everyone thought were "sure bets" until they actually got into the spotlight.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yup. DeSantis has terrible mic skills. He just doesn't have the chops to drop a great promo and get over with the MAGA faction.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The question about DeSantis’ lack of charisma is relevant only in the context of who his D opponent will be.

Very, very scary IMO.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Trump takes a shot:

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

By posting pictures from sourcing gathered from anti MAGA sources that have been circulating since when? 2021? How does that revelation go? That's mighty white of him?