The Coming War - Trump vs. Desantis

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: The Coming War - Trump vs. Desantis

Post by Isgrimnur »

Like he has the desire or flexibility to do that work himself.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:56 pm I’m always surprised that any releases written by Trump aren’t accompanied by photos of him blowing himself.
Yeah. And the grammar . . . For crying out loud, would it be too much to proofread this shit?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That doesn’t seem crazy to me. I wouldn’t want to hire my political enemies’ supporters, either.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:49 am That doesn’t seem crazy to me. I wouldn’t want to hire my political enemies’ supporters, either.
There's a big difference between not hiring someone who worked against you (shhh...) and threatening them with it to try and frighten them into abandoning their candidate.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Touché
Holman

Post by Holman »

Yeah, it's routine for the primary winner to hire the most talented of their primary rivals' team members once they reach the White House.

Lots of Hillary people wound up working in the Obama WH, for instance, and I'm sure the Biden/Harris staff is full of people who worked on Warren's or Buttigieg's campaigns (though probably not Tulsi's).

Of course, Trump is not really a Republican. His party is Trump and Trump alone.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We've already seen Trump's take on "the best people". It has nothing to do with ability or talent. It's all about undying loyalty and ability so stiffle any sort of ethics and morality.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/02/2 ... a-00084023

Goodbye first amendment!

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2022 ... epublican/

Hello registering democrats as republicans by stealth!

Who’s more evil now?
Last edited by waitingtoconnect on Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:52 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:49 am That doesn’t seem crazy to me. I wouldn’t want to hire my political enemies’ supporters, either.
There's a big difference between not hiring someone who worked against you (shhh...) and threatening them with it to try and frighten them into abandoning their candidate.
Don’t forget threats to destroy their families and friends and getting any one who employs them in the future ostracised and ruined.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

DeSantis seems to be weakening, can’t handle Trump:

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

You know, we talk a lot here about Democratic Party incompetence, and there is certainly a lot of it, but it's also striking how so many DeSantis-favoring people in the GOP elite haven't really grasped that "Donald Trump is right about pretty much everything, and the election was probably stolen from him, but he's not a winner so you shouldn't vote for him" is probably not a winning argument.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That's right. This is more about how the GOP elite are desperate because they built a monster and now fear Trump for all the right reasons. He very well might turn on them. That will last up until he is re-nominated. They'll then fall in line because it is clearly better to ingratiate themselves once they have no choice.

Still in terms of relative competence it still is no argument. The GOP is rolling out multiple waves of attacks against our democracy. Books bans, demonizing people, taking action to protect Trump from prosecution, various outright acts of thuggery, and much more while the administration is pretty much silent about it. It's incomprehensible.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Is it? We’ve been talking about this for years in here it seems.

Maybe that it is still being couched in terms of ‘incomprehensible’ is part of the problem. We collectively have been hit in the mouth and still questioning the actual punch, how it happened, how could it happen (nobody punches us!).

America is punch-drunk.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Sort of. This has been a journey with many phases. Each incomprehensible in their own way. We had the first inklings of an attack on our democracy but that was sneered at by the very serious people. "THE STOP OVERREACTING!" segment of the crisis. That lasted awhile but then Trump runs and the darkness pours out into the open. Thus begins the 'IT'S JUST A PHASE!' segment of the crisis. Then the Trump years and 1/6 led to the 'IT WAS BAD BUT OUR INSTITUTIONS HELD! STOP OVERREACTING! IT WAS JUST A PHASE!' segment of the crisis. That storyline has persisted through the midterms.

Now we're watching a President ignore all that risk to try to build some sort of lasting legacy by doubling down on "empire" stuff. Ukraine. The CHIPS act. The Infrastructure Reduction Act. Etc. It's all potentially meaningful but he is ignoring the real risk all that stuff could be washed away like it never happened in only a couple years. All those dollars redirected to GOP aligned grifters. Maybe that won't happen but it's still incomprehensible to me that he and his geniuses are all figuratively fiddling while America burns.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:43 am That's right. This is more about how the GOP elite are desperate because they built a monster and now fear Trump for all the right reasons. He very well might turn on them. That will last up until he is re-nominated. They'll then fall in line because it is clearly better to ingratiate themselves once they have no choice.

Still in terms of relative competence it still is no argument. The GOP is rolling out multiple waves of attacks against our democracy. Books bans, demonizing people, taking action to protect Trump from prosecution, various outright acts of thuggery, and much more while the administration is pretty much silent about it. It's incomprehensible.
It's just striking that it seems like GOP elites genuinely dislike Trump and view him as a hindrance, and don't want him as the 2024 nominee (which is why so many of the elite media organs have been pushing DeSantis for the last 6+ months). And yet, it sure seems like the best that they can come up with to accomplish that is a mixture of "he's not a winner" and "let's just hope that someone takes him out for us."
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sorry, I see your point now - kinda strawmanned that a bit.

That the current admin is seeming to fiddle while Rome burns is incomprehensible, not that Rome is burning.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:34 am Sorry, I see your point now - kinda strawmanned that a bit.

That the current admin is seeming to fiddle while Rome burns is incomprehensible, not that Rome is burning.
Yeah that's the slice of it. We have seen Biden do this before. He went pretty dark at times during the election and didn't want to "get in the mix". Someone might say it didn't hurt him or even might have helped him by elevating him out of the muck. Maybe but in the end he went dark when he should have been creating his own narrative. He instead relied on old narratives. It worked out but...that was a coin flip.

I'll keep beating on the drum that we need someone to step up and break us out of this cycle by forging a coalition of folks sick over how this country is driven by bullshit narratives and grift all around.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote:
malchior wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:43 am That's right. This is more about how the GOP elite are desperate because they built a monster and now fear Trump for all the right reasons. He very well might turn on them. That will last up until he is re-nominated. They'll then fall in line because it is clearly better to ingratiate themselves once they have no choice.

It's just striking that it seems like GOP elites genuinely dislike Trump and view him as a hindrance, and don't want him as the 2024 nominee (which is why so many of the elite media organs have been pushing DeSantis for the last 6+ months). And yet, it sure seems like the best that they can come up with to accomplish that is a mixture of "he's not a winner" and "let's just hope that someone takes him out for us."
I'm curious as to who these GOP Elites are.

Trump or DeSantis, the ones who matter will get their power increased through tax cuts and further ownership of the courts. They may actually be more afraid of DeSantis (see Disney attack).

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Liz with a bullet.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Alefroth wrote:Liz with a bullet.
To the face?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Looks like the Haley campaign is going gangbusters.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Her comet is fading into the Oort cloud.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Trump loves Disney:

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Low bar, but that may have been the most fun I’ve ever had reading a WSJ opinion piece. Delicious!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Love this comment from the WaPo story on this.
One prominent Republican who does not support Trump was highly critical of the prison comment, noting that suburban moms and others from Middle America whose support is important in elections go to Disney World. “What is wrong with you?” said this person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to be more candid.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

DeSantis doesn't have the personality to pull off the bs that Trump can. Declaring a holy war on Disney seems like it's not working out for him. And all these abortion bans didn't work in the midterms, so not sure why they think it will work now? On the bright side I don't think he's that much of a smarter Trump. I mean that's not a high bar to begin with. Cereal murder. Seriously just fucking end this timeline already.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I was trying to figure out what D&D alignment they both were. I feel that Trump is somewhere between Neutral and Chaotic Evil, while DeSantis is somewhere between Lawful and Neutral Evil.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:14 am I was trying to figure out what D&D alignment they both were. I feel that Trump is somewhere between Neutral and Chaotic Evil, while DeSantis is somewhere between Lawful and Neutral Evil.
For me Trump is almost the definition of neutral evil. Using any means necessary to gain advantage for the self. Agree on DeSantis though - he sort of splits the difference.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

How is he not a candidate when some PAC runs a "DeSantis won't back down" ad every hour on CNBC? Odd that his response is the epitome of backing down and being a spineless contrary to the ads I can't get away from.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Because of the law in Florida that prohibits elected officials from running for another office while holding a different position. His minions floated a repeal/modification of the law that would then allow him to campaign while still functioning as governor but until that passes / takes effect, he's just out having a good time.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I wonder if Trump would be able to win FL in the general if he beats DeSantis.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And the answer is: even if he doesn't, he'll say he did.
Covfefe!