The Coming War - Trump vs. Desantis

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Jaymann

Re: The Coming War - Trump vs. Desantis

Post by Jaymann »

Sure, it should be said over and over from the highest rooftops, until the Florida Men succeed in burning down the Repugnicans.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is getting interesting fast:

I’m not clear as to why Republican leadership thinks the base will follow them to DeSantis now. The base can’t stand the leadership. And why now, when they’ve had plenty of previous opportunities to dump Trump.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Grifman wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:08 pmI’m not clear as to why Republican leadership thinks the base will follow them to DeSantis now. The base can’t stand the leadership. And why now, when they’ve had plenty of previous opportunities to dump Trump.
Because it's becoming increasingly clear that Trump is a loser.

The Republican party is starved for wins. On the big stage, they do almost nothing but lose. To find a successful Republican President, you have to go back to Reagan. The reason so much of the party was willing to sell their souls to Trump was because he won, and they wanted that more than anything else. They still do. But it's getting harder to believe that Trump will deliver.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Holman

Post by Holman »

Little Raven wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:12 pm
Grifman wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:08 pmI’m not clear as to why Republican leadership thinks the base will follow them to DeSantis now. The base can’t stand the leadership. And why now, when they’ve had plenty of previous opportunities to dump Trump.
Because it's becoming increasingly clear that Trump is a loser.

The Republican party is starved for wins. On the big stage, they do almost nothing but lose. To find a successful Republican President, you have to go back to Reagan. The reason so much of the party was willing to sell their souls to Trump was because he won, and they wanted that more than anything else. They still do. But it's getting harder to believe that Trump will deliver.
Counterpoint: They were willing to sell their souls to Trump because he gave them permission to be their worst selves. And that's how he won.

Now that that Pandora's Box has been opened, it's possible that someone else might be able to do it even better than Trump. Look for DeSantis to lean into the Hate, since that's his path to Trumpian victory.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

But they still have a base problem, which is why they haven’t abandoned Trump before. After all, Trump’s mid terms were a blue wave, and he lost the presidency after that. And the base is not going to follow them to DeSantis. It’s a cult and you don’t replace the cult leader until he is dead.

Still, this is going to be interesting.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Right - the base is the problem. The election deniers are mostly taking their cues from the base. It is essentially part of a loyalty pledge to Trump in the end. I think DeSantis gets that though and if Trump doesn't burn himself to the ground, DeSantis is definitely positioning himself to pick up whatever comes next even if it's a little long-term which will almost certainly not be a return to normal for the GOP.
Zarathud

The Coming War - Trump vs. Desantis

Post by Zarathud »

DeSantis existing is a problem for Trump. There can be only one.

So he’ll burn him down unless DeSantis humiliates himself before the Golden Don.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Grifman wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:08 pm This is getting interesting fast:

I’m not clear as to why Republican leadership thinks the base will follow them to DeSantis now. The base can’t stand the leadership. And why now, when they’ve had plenty of previous opportunities to dump Trump.
I'm sure this sticks in the craw of Florida Man (Uno) like nobody's business, especially since it's coming from Fox News. Expect him to lash out big time, and, IMO make him more likely to run. It's always been and about narcissism, and almost nothing to do with politics. I don't expect the rank and file to denounce him, just ignore him and move on. To Florida Man (Uno) this is the worst possible outcome. If Putin deserts him it will be icing on the cake.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:28 pmI don't expect the rank and file to denounce him, just ignore him and move on.
That's the problem they face. The rank and file still want him. This looks like "establishment" Conservatives trying to limit the damage. And railing and counterpunching against the establishment is what Trump is good at. This has as much chance as helping him in the end than hurting him. How many times have we seen this show now? How many times in the last 2 6 years has his political career been over? And some other star was rising. Too many times to count.

Still I agree that this makes it more likely he'll run. He is a child in many ways and they've challenged him. He can't let that go.
To Florida Man (Uno) this is the worst possible outcome. If Putin deserts him it will be icing on the cake.
Putin is more likely to support both of them and hope it causes more chaos. Friction points are a breeding ground for the most effective disinformation.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:23 pm Right - the base is the problem. The election deniers are mostly taking their cues from the base. It is essentially part of a loyalty pledge to Trump in the end. I think DeSantis gets that though and if Trump doesn't burn himself to the ground, DeSantis is definitely positioning himself to pick up whatever comes next even if it's a little long-term which will almost certainly not be a return to normal for the GOP.
My thought is that DeSantis hopes that Trump’s legal problems take him out, leaving DeSantis to pick up the pieces.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:03 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:23 pm Right - the base is the problem. The election deniers are mostly taking their cues from the base. It is essentially part of a loyalty pledge to Trump in the end. I think DeSantis gets that though and if Trump doesn't burn himself to the ground, DeSantis is definitely positioning himself to pick up whatever comes next even if it's a little long-term which will almost certainly not be a return to normal for the GOP.
My thought is that DeSantis hopes that Trump’s legal problems take him out, leaving DeSantis to pick up the pieces.
That's definitely one scenario. There are several for sure where Trump unceremoniously is out of the picture and DeSantis is there to offer stability in the tempest that is sure to arise.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

After Monday night, I can put this is the realm of possible, which I could not before. Many have peeled from Trump this week to my :shock: but he still has a weaponized base, plenty of MAGAts in power, and two years to utilize them... though I guess for the first time in a long time, I see the possibility for flaming out and couldn't happen to a nicer guy than DeSantis. Still. I'll believe it when I see it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He does have a base.

And the fact that 'Trump's base' isn't the same as 'the Republican party' could end up being his greatest gift to us.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is interesting, opinions seem split but both sides have good reasons:

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Trump fires a new broadside:

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

We need to hear more about this ballot theft and sending in the FBI.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

A follow up to that:

Hodor.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It's got to be lying, right?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-desantis ... en-1758853
"The Fake News asks him if he's going to run if President Trump runs, and he says, 'I'm only focused on the Governor's race, I'm not looking into the future.' Well, in terms of loyalty and class, that's really not the right answer," the former president wrote.
His loyalty has been tested and found lacking. Trump will attempt to burn him to the ground if past performance is indicative of future results.

I'm totally :pop: now. As much as I never wanted to hear his name again, I'm hooked.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:18 am It's got to be lying, right?
That hits on all the disinfo cylinnders. Election denial is in there. He also could be intentionally dirtying up his possible adversary. "I used them ths way. Just like they have and will."
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

:pop: :pop: :pop:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

What's the likelihood of Trump starting his own party?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

:pray:
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Interesting, DeSantis leads Trump in some polling apparently;

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:07 pm What's the likelihood of Trump starting his own party?
That’s a pretty expensive proposition and Trump is anything but an organizer, and whoever helped him would kill their own political future for a losing cause. I’d say it’s close to zero.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Grifman wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:03 am
Alefroth wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:07 pm What's the likelihood of Trump starting his own party?
That’s a pretty expensive proposition and Trump is anything but an organizer, and whoever helped him would kill their own political future for a losing cause. I’d say it’s close to zero.
I think there was a time after he lost the 2020 election that he was floating starting his own party, but the Republican Party told him they'd stop paying his legal bills (which they have to do once he announces today anyway) so those rumors stopped.
Hodor.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Return fire:

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:37 am
Grifman wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:03 am
I think there was a time after he lost the 2020 election that he was floating starting his own party, but the Republican Party told him they'd stop paying his legal bills (which they have to do once he announces today anyway) so those rumors stopped.
Perhaps the time is riper now.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm still hoping Trump is incarcerated before the 2024 election, but the Donkeys don't seem to have it in them to see it through.

Desantis could certainly run on his own record, and hopefully be rewarded with a crushing defeat.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:05 pm I'm still hoping Trump is incarcerated before the 2024 election, but the Donkeys don't seem to have it in them to see it through.

Desantis could certainly run on his own record, and hopefully be rewarded with a crushing defeat.
That could happen if MAGAt's stay home because he is not trumpy enough.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wouldn't put it past him to win from prison and pardon himself from his cell.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Cracks appearing:

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

‘Boebert then commented that 2024 is “in the far future.”‘

Translation: “too early to tell if Trump is truly toast at this point. If that becomes clear then I will throw him under the bus and side with DeSantis”
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Republicans tiring

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I really think he's done. His entire life of bs only lasts so long before it blows up in his face and he moves onto something else. Usually it's just a crippled company and not an entire country.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Done? Please. He gets up on that stage and starts dancing and the GOP loses their mind.

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go