The Gretchen Whitmer thread.

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Little Raven

The Gretchen Whitmer thread.

Post by Little Raven »

After Tuesday, I think she may need her own space. She's about to get big in the Democratic Party.
As Gov. Gretchen Whitmer waited to speak at a campaign event Saturday night in Detroit, the 51-year-old mother of two joined her junior staffers in turning a cartwheel backstage.

“Like physically doing cartwheels,” said Sen. Debbie Stabenow, a fellow Michigan Democrat who also spoke at the event. “They were good! I was impressed.”

Just three days later, Whitmer impressed the political establishment, as well, vaulting into the national spotlight with a double-digit reelection win Tuesday night. The Michigan governor soundly defeated her Donald Trump-endorsed rival while helping usher in Democratic control of both the state House and Senate for the first time in 40 years.

“It was a great night for Governor Whitmer,” Stabenow said, “and she certainly is part of our next generation of leaders, not just in the state but across the country.”
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Jaymann

Re: The Gretchen Whitmer thread.

Post by Jaymann »

Great, we need some fresh blood on the national stage. Especially someone not from the east or west coast.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My friends and family in MI have strong opinions about Whitmer. She's a polarizing figure...which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Let's see what she can accomplish with a friendly legislature.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'll try to remember when she pops up locally for good or ill or just for shits and giggles likes when SNL did their parody and she sent the Michigan made beer as a response. (which is I guess starts as S&G but ends up for good). Also, she doesn't tend to stand on her own. Benson and Nessel seem to be a package deal with Whitmer (which is good for Whitmer unless you are an election denier, then it's fuel for the fire) much like Paxton and Abbott seem to be a packaged deal.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's good to see the Democratic up & comers distributed geographically rather than concentrated on the coasts.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:21 pm My friends and family in MI have strong opinions about Whitmer. She's a polarizing figure...which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Let's see what she can accomplish with a friendly legislature.
Yeah, I've heard that Republicans just hate her, but she did win by 11 points (her opponent was an idiot) and her coattails did turn Michigan pretty blue, the Democrats now control both houses of the legislature. She pretty much did in Michigan what DeSantis did in Florida. That can't be ignored.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Grifman wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:18 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:21 pm My friends and family in MI have strong opinions about Whitmer. She's a polarizing figure...which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Let's see what she can accomplish with a friendly legislature.
Yeah, I've heard that Republicans just hate her, but she did win by 11 points (her opponent was an idiot) and her coattails did turn Michigan pretty blue, the Democrats now control both houses of the legislature. She pretty much did in Michigan what DeSantis did in Florida. That can't be ignored.
Coattails didn't deliver the legislature. Fixing gerrymandering did. Michigan established a 13-member nonpartisan panel to draw districts, and this was their first election using a fair map.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:10 am Coattails didn't deliver the legislature. Fixing gerrymandering did. Michigan established a 13-member nonpartisan panel to draw districts, and this was their first election using a fair map.
Aye, as did the Supreme Court's ruling on RvW. As did the election denying and literal insanity in charge of government fears. It was a motivated turnout this time. Thank Pancake. I don't doubt that Whitmer had a comparative record turnout but she was a beneficiary of circumstance more then the driver. How long will it last? Dunno. But all things considered I'm happy. I actually like Benson and Nessel and I don't doubt that our electorate is too ignorant to realize how great it is these two were re-elected, and the propaganda squad that is the state GOP, Chamber of Commerce, DeVos, etc... have been going after these two hard ever since they got in office.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im glad to hear her successes. Both her and Michigan deserve the love. All I heard right after COVID hit was all the shit GOP gave her.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:10 am
Coattails didn't deliver the legislature. Fixing gerrymandering did. Michigan established a 13-member nonpartisan panel to draw districts, and this was their first election using a fair map.
Which, sadly, will probably be the example held up behind closed GOP doors on why they don't want to let that happen ever again.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's depressing to see how the media has fawned over DeSantis for simply keeping a Red state Red while almost ignoring how Whitmer turned a Purple state solid Blue.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:58 pm It's depressing to see how the media has fawned over DeSantis for simply keeping a Red state Red while almost ignoring how Whitmer turned a Purple state solid Blue.
The voice of the oligarchy.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:10 am
Personally, I think the MI vote was largely in response to the RvW issue... in addition, the large dose of the 11-point win was in a generic push-back to the MI-militia mentality against Whitmer - and the un-gerrymandering fixes totally amplified that into 11 points.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Last 3 men charged with plotting to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer found not guilty
Eric Molitor and twin brothers William Null and Michael Null were among the 14 men charged in state and federal court over the alleged plan to kidnap the governor at her vacation home in Antrim County in 2020, largely over the Democratic governor's strict COVID-19 shutdowns.

Molitor, 39, and the Null brothers, both 41, had pleaded not guilty to state charges of providing material support for terrorist acts and illegally possessing firearms.
William Null and Molitor testified in their own defense, claiming they didn't know the true nature of the plot until the last minute.

William Null told the jury that while on a nighttime surveillance mission, he didn't know they were going to the governor's cabin.

Molitor testified he feared for his life during surveillance of the cabin with Adam Fox, one of the plot leaders who was convicted on federal charges.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I don't get it. 14 men decide kidnapping is the right response to being forced to wear a surgical mask for their own good, but not one person is willing to assassinate the greatest threat to American democracy in...forever, maybe?

Settle down, settle down. My point is, disproportionate responses on both sides :D
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

[NYTPitchBot]Whether it's right wing militias plotting to kidnap a Democratic governor for imposing mask mandates, or left wing groups failing to plot to assassinate former President Trump, both sides have a problem with determining an appropriate response level to their concerns.[/NYTPitchBot]
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We investigate theirs, so they investigate ours in retaliation. We impeach one of theirs, they start impeaching ours in retaliation. We assassinate one of theirs... and 'The American Troubles' we were talking about a few weeks ago explodes.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm really curious what the jury looks like here because I heard the defense amounted to the FBI tricked our guys into planning to kidnap the governor. And that apparently worked?! I'm constantly amazed how dumb things have become.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Without knowing all of the details (and what charges were actually attempted), it's hard to say if this was reasonable or not. It's entirely possible that some of the people in the group had different levels of involvement, and depending on the charges, may not have met the criteria.
Previously, nine of the militia members have been convicted in state or federal court in connection with the alleged plot, while two have been acquitted.
It isn't like nothing came of it.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Right and these prosecutions were perhaps grouped together in various ways for a purpose by the prosecution. It's fair to say it might have been the least involvement but it also just could have been the pick of the draw here. That's why I'm a bit curious.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Per the article the help provided by one of the guys (Molitor) was to take a video of the grounds of the governor's residence. He claimed that he did not know the reason for the video. Entirely possible that there wasn't a ton of evidence showing that he did.

There's less info on the other two. Supposedly they were to provide "muscle"; I don't really know how much planning or active assistance that entails before the day of.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:16 pm I don't get it. 14 men decide kidnapping is the right response to being forced to wear a surgical mask for their own good, but not one person is willing to assassinate the greatest threat to American democracy in...forever, maybe?

Settle down, settle down. My point is, disproportionate responses on both sides :D
Honestly, I've wondered the same thing. I'm not calling for assassination - but the number of people Trump tweaks, I'm shocked dozens of people haven't taken a shot.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I've thought the same thing about Biden.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

He's not making anyone wear a mask. He's safe. For now.