FIFA World Cup 2022

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by El Guapo »

For offsides, does the offensive player's whole body have to be behind the last defender to be offsides, or just any part of it?

For the offsides call at the end of the first half, looked pretty clear to me that the U.S. player was partially but not entirely ahead of the last defender.
Black Lives Matter.
telcta

Post by telcta »

That offsides technology display was pretty impressive.

I’m new to soccer and this is my first game that I’m watching closely to understand the sport. Love the 45+ minutes of continuous play with no commercial breaks.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hey! A sub at halftime!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, Pulisic is out, which is too bad, but at least he got that goal.

Hopefully he'll be back for the next game if the US advances.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:45 pm Great goal for USA, but injury to Pulisic. He is now back in.
Um...ouch.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Was in a meeting and couldn't turn it on until half :oops:

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
disarm

Post by disarm »

El Guapo wrote:For offsides, does the offensive player's whole body have to be behind the last defender to be offsides, or just any part of it?

For the offsides call at the end of the first half, looked pretty clear to me that the U.S. player was partially but not entirely ahead of the last defender.
The official rule states that a player is in an offside position if any part of their head, body or feet are in a position past the second-to-last defender. The only part that doesn't count are the arms. But then it becomes even more complicated because it's not considered an offside offence unless that player is in an offside position and "involved in active play," meaning that they're doing something that impacts the ball or other players. A player could theoretically stand alone in the corner in an offside position and it wouldn't be a violation as long as they're just standing there doing nothing, away from the ball or other players.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Stupid US not playing for possession. Grrr....

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Now throw it backwards instead of turning it over!!!!!

Dumbasses. possession more important than attacking.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Woof. A couple very close calls at the end, but they made it. :D
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Berhalter is a terrible coach and the US won in spite of his terrible subs.
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:16 pm Berhalter is a terrible coach and the US won in spite of his terrible subs.
Berhalter did well at pre-match strategy v. England in coming out in a 4-4-2 rather than a 4-3-3 and that made a huge difference. I think also the pre-match strategy to really deny Kane the ball was well setup and executed - he was nowhere near as dangerous as usual in that match.

but yes, his substitution patterns cost the US a probable win v Wales, and possible a win v England (they were the superior side until England subbed and the US failed to sub), and his tactics with a lead are pure brain dead and will cost us again eventually.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:41 pm
pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:16 pm Berhalter is a terrible coach and the US won in spite of his terrible subs.
Berhalter did well at pre-match strategy v. England in coming out in a 4-4-2 rather than a 4-3-3 and that made a huge difference. I think also the pre-match strategy to really deny Kane the ball was well setup and executed - he was nowhere near as dangerous as usual in that match.

but yes, his substitution patterns cost the US a probable win v Wales, and possible a win v England (they were the superior side until England subbed and the US failed to sub), and his tactics with a lead are pure brain dead and will cost us again eventually.
As a very casual soccer fan, what did he do wrong with the subs? I do recall hearing in the postgame that one of the players that he subbed in was terrible, and pondering why another couldn't get into the game, but otherwise I have no real idea (other than that they seemed to play much worse as the game went on).
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:43 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:41 pm

As a very casual soccer fan, what did he do wrong with the subs? I do recall hearing in the postgame that one of the players that he subbed in was terrible, and pondering why another couldn't get into the game, but otherwise I have no real idea (other than that they seemed to play much worse as the game went on).
Generally, he waits too long and doesn't bring in subs which have necessarily matched the situation the US is in. E.G. today he should have brought in players who could possess the ball and defend. Zimmerman was a good sub, but not until the 80th minute. probably should have been around 60. V. England, england brought in their 2 subs at the 60th minute and immediately took control of the match, and the US didn't get any subs in to counter until after the 80th minute. Part of this is because one of the US's best players (McKinney) is still not 100% in shape, and can't really go 90-100 minutes, so the idea should be to take control of the game with him and get a lead. as they did v Wales and Iran, and then sub someone who can protect that lead through possession/defense

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ESPN
The Chelsea winger said in a social media post after the game that he would "be ready Saturday, don't worry," while teammate Weston McKennie said: "I sent him a text and checked on him, and he said, 'Best believe I'll be ready on Saturday.'"
Brenden Aaronson came on for Pulisic at half-time, with US Soccer saying after the match he had been taken to the hospital and diagnosed with a pelvic contusion that was termed "day to day."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Honestly though, I do feel a little bad about the U.S. eliminating the Iranian team given the brave political stances they took at the World Cup.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:58 pm Honestly though, I do feel a little bad about the U.S. eliminating the Iranian team given the brave political stances they took at the World Cup.
I hear that, and I know it's not on the Iranian team themselves, but listening to those asshat Iranian journalists at the pre-match press conference grill Adams for mispronouncing Iran and for playing for a country rife with racial injustice really rubbed me the wrong way. Fuck those fake journalists and the regime that supports them.

If you haven't seen the clip from the presser, you should take a look. Adams handled the questions with such poise and class.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kurth wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:16 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:58 pm Honestly though, I do feel a little bad about the U.S. eliminating the Iranian team given the brave political stances they took at the World Cup.
I hear that, and I know it's not on the Iranian team themselves, but listening to those asshat Iranian journalists at the pre-match press conference grill Adams for mispronouncing Iran and for playing for a country rife with racial injustice really rubbed me the wrong way. Fuck those fake journalists and the regime that supports them.

If you haven't seen the clip from the presser, you should take a look. Adams handled the questions with such poise and class.
Yeah, but none of that is on the Iranian players.

But ultimately this isn't more than an idle thought. It's not like the U.S. players should have lied down and let them win or anything.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:35 am

But ultimately this isn't more than an idle thought. It's not like the U.S. players should have lied down and let them win or anything.
They could, and may still, make some sort of statement.

I know the USMNT took some heat from the regime for their supportive Tweets of the edited Iranian flag.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What the Frack? Tunisia takes down France.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:39 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:35 am

They could, and may still, make some sort of statement.

I know the USMNT took some heat from the regime for their supportive Tweets of the edited Iranian flag.
That's good. Though even there that's a little complicated, as I imagine USMNT support for the Iranian players' political acts probably doesn't decrease the risk to the players and their families.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:19 pm What the Frack? Tunisia takes down France.
Yeah. Seriously. In the pool I'm in, I needed France to beat Tunisia and Denmark to beat Australia. :x :(
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:19 pm What the Frack? Tunisia takes down France.
France played their 2nd team as they had already clinched the Group.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Totally makes up for 75 years of "Protection".
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Belgium out! Probably the biggest country to miss the knockout round so far.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Not for lack of Croatia trying to give them a goal. Geez.

Another thrilling nil-nil. And I say that with zero sarcasm.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:41 pm Not for lack of Croatia trying to give them a goal. Geez.

Another thrilling nil-nil. And I say that with zero sarcasm.
That's one of the biggest issues with capturing the casual fan - plenty think nil-nil can't be exciting, when games like Croatia/Belgium (or US/England) show that it can be.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Japan currently lead Spain and Costa Rica is tied with Germany.

Let's go chaos!
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:16 pm Japan currently lead Spain and Costa Rica is tied with Germany.

Let's go chaos!
Wow. Had a call but just turned on JPN/ESP.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

As things currently stand, Japan still lead Spain; Germany lead Costa Rica 3-2. Germany would not advance like this.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

If Spain can tie their game, Germany would go through and Japan would go out on goal differential.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Japan lose to Costa Rica, but beat Germany and Spain, and win their group. Germany replaces Belgium as the biggest shock elimination from the group stage.
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Deutchland haben ein blitzkrieg, aber sie sind nicht uber alles.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:59 pm Deutchland haben ein blitzkrieg, aber sie sind nicht uber alles.
I can actually read that. Thanks, Duo!
telcta

Post by telcta »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:00 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:59 pm Deutchland haben ein blitzkrieg, aber sie sind nicht uber alles.
I can actually read that. Thanks, Duo!
Ich auch!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:55 pm Japan lose to Costa Rica, but beat Germany and Spain, and win their group. Germany replaces Belgium as the biggest shock elimination from the group stage.
For about 3 minutes in the second halves (while Costa Rica was up 2-1, and Japan was up 2-1), it was Japan and Costa Rica through and Germany/Spain out.

Think on that for a bit! ;)

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:16 pm
pr0ner wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:55 pm Japan lose to Costa Rica, but beat Germany and Spain, and win their group. Germany replaces Belgium as the biggest shock elimination from the group stage.
For about 3 minutes in the second halves (while Costa Rica was up 2-1, and Japan was up 2-1), it was Japan and Costa Rica through and Germany/Spain out.

I was rooting for Germany to go through, but with Japan leading Spain, I was really hoping CR would win.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:10 pm

I was rooting for Germany to go through, but with Japan leading Spain, I was really hoping CR would win.
I was born in Germany, so I have a connection there (they are always my team #2 if the USA is done), and even I was rooting for the Ticos!

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:13 pm
Alefroth wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:10 pm

I was born in Germany, so I have a connection there (they are always my team #2 if the USA is done), and even I was rooting for the Ticos!
They are one of my top teams to root for. It feels like the end of an era. It's got to be Neuer, Mueller, and Gundogan's last World Cup.