Trump 2024

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Trump 2024

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:41 pm
Apollo wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:59 am As an Old School Liberal living in a Deep Red State, I sincerely hope that those on the Left one day learn that the way to discredit Right-Wing assholes like Trump is not to be OUTRAGED! by everything they say and do. That's what they are hoping for! That's Red Meat for their base: See how much the Lefties hate him!

The way to hurt someone like Trump: Roll your eyes at whatever he does and dismiss him as a Pathetic Loser. Don't even discuss what he's done or said. That plants real doubt in the tiny little minds of his supporters that they might be backing someone who is a joke and might lose the election. The Right-Wing Establishment understands this and is using this technique right now to discredit him. I only hope that the Left and their continual OUTRAGE over everything Trump does doesn't cancel out their efforts. :doh:
QFT.

Calling out how ‘unusual’ or norm-breaking something he says or does is just fuel. People support him BECAUSE he colors outside of the lines and doing that drives the libs and progressives they hate, crazy.

They love the ‘maverick’ in him. The fact that his maverick behavior drives libs nuts is gravy.
I don't doubt that painting him as a loser is more popular with the right wing base than stoking outrage against Trump. However, the reality is that Trumpism is a very real threat to the Republic, and dismissing Trump as a loser doesn't change that reality. We are going to need to do what we can to make sure that responsible actors in and outside our government take that threat seriously and respond to it to avoid Trumpists consolidating an authoritarian government in our country. In addition, we may well need popular protests as a fallback if the GOP attempts to overturn a Democratic presidential win in 2024, or if the GOP wins legitimately and then tries to consolidate an authoritarian system.

None of that is going to work if we all collectively pretend that Donald Trump is a vanquished loser. That's not a switch that you can effectively just suddenly turn on in November / December 2024.

Now, maintaining constant outrage isn't really reasonable, and we shouldn't pretend that everything that Trump and the GOP does is equally outrageous regardless of context. But at the same time "LOL Donald Trump take the L" isn't likely to be an effective strategy here.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

You may be missing the point. The suggestion is the only way to reduce Trump’s popularity WITH HIS BASE is to appeal to the way they think, fight fire with fire as it were: the world is made up of losers and winners and Trump’s a loser (now).

Many GOP’ers are already saying this, and not just ‘never-Trumpers)
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:42 am You may be missing the point. The suggestion is the only way to reduce Trump’s popularity WITH HIS BASE is to appeal to the way they think, fight fire with fire as it were: the world is made up of losers and winners and Trump’s a loser (now).

Thanks, I may not have made my point clearly, but you understand what I'm trying to say. It's NOT that Trump isn't a threat: He's a HUGE threat to Democracy itself, and he should be resisted at every turn. I'm only talking about how the Left can discredit him with his own base, which is the ultimate key to ending his influence.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Apollo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:06 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:42 am You may be missing the point. The suggestion is the only way to reduce Trump’s popularity WITH HIS BASE is to appeal to the way they think, fight fire with fire as it were: the world is made up of losers and winners and Trump’s a loser (now).

Thanks, I may not have made my point clearly, but you understand what I'm trying to say. It's NOT that Trump isn't a threat: He's a HUGE threat to Democracy itself, and he should be resisted at every turn. I'm only talking about how the Left can discredit him with his own base, which is the ultimate key to ending his influence.
No, I get that. My point is that for the most part you can't communicate just to the Trump base. If your public messaging is that Trump is a pathetic loser whose time has passed, you'll be communicating that to your base as well as to the Republican base, and they'll respond accordingly. On top of that, your public communication to the Republican base is going to be filtered through Fox News and talk radio, so it's going to be a funhouse mirror version of what you're actually saying.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I think this is a miss about his what his appeal is to the base. They aren't just supporting him because he is a
"winner". They support him because they think the system is corrupt and he is here to break it. He speaks the "truth" and everyone tearing him down is lying.

That is why anything premised in calling him a loser isn't going to work. We already tried painting him as a loser framed within the confines of the current system (e.g. electoral losses). They've collectively agreed that elections are rigged. Every establishment person who tries to paint him a loser only sharpens their suspicion that it is the system fighting against him. We need to forget about changing/moving the base. They are truly deplorable.

We have to forget them and make people who are sitting on the sidelines realize that they have skin in this game. We saw that Dobbs helped with that to some extent. We need folks clearly messaging against all the GOP propaganda that is going to come from the heavens over the next two years. It's going to be a societal wide slog.

The biggest problem we face though is that it is tough to motivate people that they should care because trust in the system is at crisis levels across all demographics. It's difficult to motivate people when they fight and fight and fight and get the same dysfunctional government. They don't see things getting better and only worse. So we need a message or someone exceptional to break through. And what I'm dead sure about is we aren't getting that from Biden. So I remain doubtful we'll see meaningful positive change.
El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:10 pmNo, I get that. My point is that for the most part you can't communicate just to the Trump base. If your public messaging is that Trump is a pathetic loser whose time has passed, you'll be communicating that to your base as well as to the Republican base, and they'll respond accordingly. On top of that, your public communication to the Republican base is going to be filtered through Fox News and talk radio, so it's going to be a funhouse mirror version of what you're actually saying.
Right and even with Murdoch seemingly against Trump (for the moment at least) we'll see if Trump's support flags. However, I won't count on it and I'm not seeing any change out of the most important person in the Fox Alternaverse -- Tucker Carlson.
Holman

Post by Holman »

We should remember that Trump was considered first a joke and, later, an aberration by the rest of the crowded field of Republicans in the 2016 primary. By the time they recognized their mistake, it was too late.

If they're serious about avoiding that same mistake this time, the whole party (and especially all of the second- and third-tier wannabes) will leave the race and throw their support fully and loudly behind DeSantis. But we're dealing with egomaniacs who know that they only get one or two shots at the presidency in a lifetime, so we should expect chaos and idiocy.

Or course there's no telling whether the Trump base will give up their God Emperor.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Look at this bullshit. Is this true or was this what sources told them? I ask because it sounds like bullshit. Secret service protection means that anyone can approach him if Mar-a-Lago's top notch security waves them through? I mean secret service is pretty incompetent but even then this sounds like hip deep bullshit covering up for Trump's misbehavior. Edit: As a note, the article manages to not have the words secret or service in it at all. Top notch work there Associated Press. :roll:

Also as an aside, if this is somehow against all odds true then this seems like a solid place to store the government's most dangerous secrets.
Trump has repeatedly said he did not know until after the fact that he had had dinner with Nick Fuentes, the far-right activist who has used his online platform to spew antisemitic and white nationalist rhetoric. Fuentes arrived by car with Ye, the rapper formerly known as Kanye West, and was waved into the club by security, even though only Ye had been on the security list, according to one of the people present and others briefed on the events. (Fuentes apparently did not show his ID and the car’s driver, a frequent guest at the club, got in using a credit card after misplacing her license.)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Robert Reich's take (copied from facebook)
What worries me most about Trump’s dinner last week at Mar-a-Lago with Nick Fuentes, the outspoken antisemite and racist who is one of America’s most prominent young white supremacists, and Kanye West, whose recent antisemitic outbursts have rocked the entertainment world, isn’t just that a former (and possibly future) president would dine with such avowed bigots.

I don’t think Trump is seeking to legitimate antisemitism or racism. The only “ism” Trump believes in is narcissism. Fuentes and West apparently showered him with enough compliments to get an invitation from him.

What worries me is how they got that invitation.

A former president, or anyone even vaguely thinking about running for president, has a staff that’s supposed to warn against dining with people who much of the public view as reprehensible.

That Trump doesn’t have anyone around him to sound that alarm – or at least anyone he’ll listen to – is a serious problem. It’s not just a problem for his own ambitions and legacy; it’s a problem for the nation.

Let me explain.

During the last months of his presidency, the more level-headed of Trump’s staff were known in the White House as “team normal,” by contrast with “team crazy” that presumably helped him plan and execute his attempted coup.

But the only way Fuentes and West would have got an invite to Mar-a-Lago is if the normals had all left. I’m reasonably sure they’re gone. Why would any of them stick around? Why would we expect Trump to keep them around?

So there’s only one explanation for the dinner. Trump has surrounded himself with crazies.

Which makes me think that his run for the presidency this time will be utterly out of control — beyond the hate-filled, bullying, divisive, traitorous, vindictive, and deceitful Trump we have already endured.

It could be so shameful, so despicable, so reprehensible that it will cause all but his most loyal followers to desert him.

Those totally loyal followers probably constitute no more than 30 percent of the American public.

Which would be fine if our democracy holds, as it did in the midterms. DeSantis or whomever else Republicans put up would be nominated. Biden or whomever the Democrats nominate would probably be victorious.

But what happens if that 30 percent act crazy, too? What if they believe the overt racism, antisemitism, and Q’anon conspiracy rubbish that a Trump without guardrails tries to sell them?

What if Special Prosecutor Jack Smith chooses to indict Trump, and as a result, Trump gets some of his crazies to take up arms — resulting in an even bigger and more dangerous version of January 6, thundering across America before the 2024 election?

Trump won’t care. He no longer has any illusions about winning the presidency legitimately. In fact, he’ll welcome the chaos, just as he did January 6.

That’s my real worry: A presidential candidate who would welcome Nick Fuentes and Kanye West to dinner at his home is a candidate without sound advice, a candidate who has no one around him to tell him no, or he’s a candidate who doesn’t give a damn.

Whatever the reason, that presidential candidate is untethered. He is surrounded by people as crazy as he is. Which means he’s even more dangerous.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Wikipedia:
Fuentes identifies as an incel (or "involuntary celibate"), although some of his supporters have criticized him for being a "voluntary celibate" after he admitted that he kissed a girl while he was in high school.[12][80] He has attempted to defend himself as an incel by claiming that "having sex with women is gay" and that "the only really straight heterosexual position is to be an asexual incel."[81][82]

WTF does that even mean?! :doh:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Baffle them with bullshit.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:52 am Baffle them with bullshit.
Exactly. Also I expect he is performing a bit to build credibility.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sudy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:29 am Wikipedia:
Fuentes identifies as an incel (or "involuntary celibate"), although some of his supporters have criticized him for being a "voluntary celibate" after he admitted that he kissed a girl while he was in high school.[12][80] He has attempted to defend himself as an incel by claiming that "having sex with women is gay" and that "the only really straight heterosexual position is to be an asexual incel."[81][82]

WTF does that even mean?! :doh:
It's kind of potentially fascinating. As I understand it the whole worldview of incels is based around the concept that women are some mix of dupes and conniving evildoers, who are only interested in dating / breeding with predatory "Chad" guys and who spurn the virtuous and wise men in the community who they *should* be dating (i.e. them). Hence they are "involuntary" celebates.

In that context, I can imagine how just getting a girlfriend would be a controversial act, as it would implicitly threaten their joint worldview.
Black Lives Matter.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, the entire incel worldview is just so disgustingly bent. I understand the derision of shallow people (of all genders) who are little more than modern apes reveling in their base urges and lottery-won physical attractiveness, but the incels and the PUAs and the MGTOWs and the MRAs and the "sigmas" have no awareness that they're not actually the "good' guys. Shitty is a spectrum that we all have to strive to transcend, and they're at the worst end of it. These are socially awkward boys who've never matured mentally beyond the age of fifteen and feed on each other's hate. Their true misogyny is lazy and revolting and incomprehensible and actually demonstrates the very worst traits of masculinity. Let's not pretend their philosophical stance wouldn't collapse into dust the moment a woman inexplicably showed romantic interest in them. The few who would stick to their guns are the ones to fear. But even the weak-minded acolytes can grow depraved enough to drive a van down a crowded street.

Yet in this devolving hell of a society their numbers only grow. They may not be reproducing physically, but they're infecting minds at an even faster rate.

Yeah, utterly fascinating.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm idly wondering what Melania thinks about being First Lady again. Not that I think she was consulted.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:11 am I'm idly wondering what Melania thinks about being First Lady again. Not that I think she was consulted.
Melania 3.0? Totes ok with it. The mouthy, pouty OG Melania was ‘taken care of’ long ago. :P
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:52 am Baffle them with bullshit.
Yep. Or simply trolling.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:41 pm Trump is spending his weekend demanding we suspend all constitutional rules and make him president again.
"They are a disgrace to our great Party, and to our Nation, which has become a laughing stock all over the World!" Projecting again.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

CNN gives the whole quote in context.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/03/politics ... index.html
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:17 pm CNN gives the whole quote in context.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/03/politics ... index.html
Good for them. More outlets should be quoting it.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:41 pm Trump is spending his weekend demanding we suspend all constitutional rules and make him president again.
Paul Gosar agrees with him.

Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Gosar lives inside Trump's rectum. So of course he has to agree with anything he says. Otherwise he doesn't get those fruit suppositories he likes so much.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Why is "Founders" in quotes? Is he dissing the founding fathers? They did give us guns, well muskets anyway. But I guess separation of church and state was a bridge too far.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Once again, a federal official saying things counter to the oath that they spoke when they were elected. Let's see what happens.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He's trying to be politically correct. He heard that they weren't actually the ones who 'found' America, and he doesn't want to lose the native vote.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:00 pm Why is "Founders" in quotes? Is he dissing the founding fathers? They did give us guns, well muskets anyway. But I guess separation of church and state was a bridge too far.
That's actually very interesting. My first, very strong reaction is "because he's that much of an idiot and doesn't know how to use quotes", but I'm not so sure. Probably has come across some conspiracy theory on late night tv that claims that the "founders" were actually aliens doing a social experiment.

FWIW I hate myself and you right now for making me even wonder why Donald F'ing Trump has or has not put quotes around a word...in Dec 2022, long after he's been booted from office. %$$@#%$!@%^$ Will this bastard ever leave my psyche alone?!? Begone, vile spirit!!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He doesn't know how to use punctuation in general. Go pick ten of his tweets at random and check.

I'd guess that he's using the quotation marks to indicate dismissiveness and scorn, not realizing that they only imply those things in specific contexts.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

“I do not care.”

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Grifman wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:20 pm “I do not care.”

-unnamed "advisor."

Now that Kanye is actively denying the Holocaust he's passed the point of redemption. I'm not burning "The College Dropout" but I'm done listening to it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

heh, good luck getting Trump to denounce someone who says nice things about Trump.
Black Lives Matter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Trump has announced he is making an announcement tomorrow. One rumor is he wants to be Speaker of the House.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Grifman wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:08 pm Trump has announced he is making an announcement tomorrow. One rumor is he wants to be Speaker of the House.
vs Meadows... - which I would think would not be an optimal GOP event.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

More like Whiner of the House. I think he would do a lot of good for Democrats in that position, although he'd damage the country considerably in the process.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump is gonna announce Lake is his VP pick. I’m calling it now.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'd totally welcome that announcement.

Pin the two losers on their "elections are fraudulent" ticket and see how many turn out to put down a vote.

Imagine if your entire argument was only that voting was pointless.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Grifman wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:08 pm Trump has announced he is making an announcement tomorrow. One rumor is he wants to be Speaker of the House.
I'm hoping he's feeding off the lack of complete and total support from the GOP and is instead planning on announcing the creation of the MAGA Patriot Party.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

:horse: :csmile:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:21 pm
I'm hoping he's feeding off the lack of complete and total support from the GOP and is instead planning on announcing the creation of the MAGA Patriot Party.
I’ll be in my bunk.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm hoping for terminal cancer. Fingers crossed.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:51 pm Trump is gonna announce Lake is his VP pick. I’m calling it now.
That also is a possibility, but there are no signs of this as she is pressing on with her election lawsuits. I think he is worried about being relevant and is seeking to keep the spotlight on himself