Crazy Drax shenanigans right up front? Check
Slowed down Space Hog soundtrack? Check

I'm in.

5/5/23
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Re: [Film] Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3

Post by Daehawk »

4 days before my birthday and me and the wife went to the first two which makes it difficult mentally to prepare but still Ill go..... no way im not going. Cant wait.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

One of the few Marvel movies I look forward to watching.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New trailer:

Maybe next year, maybe no go
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm pretty much burned out on the Marvel Universe but I might make an exception for this one.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:39 pm I'm pretty much burned out on the Marvel Universe but I might make an exception for this one.
That's where I'm at too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It sounds like someone is going to be doing some dying.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Archinerd wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:11 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:39 pm I'm pretty much burned out on the Marvel Universe but I might make an exception for this one.
That's where I'm at too.
+1. I stopped following Marvel after the big Infinity War finale. If Disney has a lock on streaming Marvel I can't see their movies anyway. Will GOG3 bestir me to the theater? Unlikely, but not impossible.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Is this Rocket’s origin story?
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Brian

Post by Brian »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:13 am Is this Rocket’s origin story?
Yes.

I enjoyed the Rocket back story stuff but overall this was not the send off to the series (at least with this group) that I was expecting.

Overall it was....fine? Nothing really wowed me in this one and the story was serviceable but ... I dunno. Maybe I'm finally getting burned out on Marvel movies.

Honestly, this can wait for streaming and something tells me it's going to be on D+ really soon.

Edit: Oh, and then...
Spoiler:
For all the trouble the GotG went through to save the planet Xandar in the first one, they witness an entire planet of beings get wiped away without even a second glance. Seriously, they never even mention it.

Oh well, sucks to be you guys, we gotta go save our trash panda now.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Brian wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:40 pm
Yes.

I enjoyed the Rocket back story stuff but overall this was not the send off to the series (at least with this group) that I was expecting.

Overall it was....fine? Nothing really wowed me in this one and the story was serviceable but ... I dunno. Maybe I'm finally getting burned out on Marvel movies.

Honestly, this can wait for streaming and something tells me it's going to be on D+ really soon.

Spoiler:
For all the trouble the GotG went through to save the planet Xandar in the first one, they witness an entire planet of beings get wiped away without even a second glance. Seriously, they never even mention it.

Spoiler:
What were they supposed to do about Counter Earth?
The High Evolutionary blew up the planet. By the time they realized what was happening it was way too late to actually do anything.
Last edited by pr0ner on Sun May 07, 2023 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hodor.
Brian

Post by Brian »

pr0ner wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:49 pm
Brian wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:40 pm
Yes.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
What were they supposed to do about Counter Earth?
The High Evolutionary blew up the planet.
Spoiler:
I mean, acknowledge it in some way at least? No, there wasn't really much they could do but at least a "We can save SOME of these people!" [the bat family, maybe?] and toss in a "There wasn't anything you could do.." remorse scene along with a "We could have TRIED!" or SOMETHING!! beyond, "LOL, peace out! Have fun while your planet explodes!!" Byyeeeeeee!!!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Spoiler:
How were they supposed to save them? Or even make a token comment about saving them? They blew up almost immediately.
Hodor.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Spoiler:
Again, it's [mostly] not about them saving or even attempting to save any of the people (which, they could have but I'm not going to argue with you about that) but that they don't even acknowledge this massive loss of life that just happened. You'd think there would be SOME reaction but hey, they were just a bunch of animal head people so fuck them I suppose.

Just not a whole lot of Guardianing going on for this world. Can't even be bothered to show even the smallest remorse for not even TRYING to save somebody. But hey, at least we saved a ship full of cute children (as long as they aren't animal headed kids)
disarm

Post by disarm »

I actually really enjoyed GotG 3 and would put it as second best of the three (after the original)...also the best Marvel movie in a while in my opinion, ahead of the latest Thor, Ant-Man, and Black Panther. To each their own I guess...

As for Brian's debate...
Spoiler:
I didn't have any problem with how they addressed that issue at all. They were so busy trying to save their own asses and get off the exploding planet that I really don't think there was time for anything else. Sure, they could have taken a linen of silence for all the dead animal people, but that would have been an awkward pause in the fast-moving conclusion of an already long movie. I also felt like this was addressed in some of the dialogue with the High Evolutionary and the fact that his own people tried to mutiny. Like others have said, I'm not sure there's much more that could have been done.
Last edited by disarm on Sun May 07, 2023 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Spoiler:
Your premise is flawed, though, because there was no way for them to save the people on Counter Earth, but they could save all the children (and animals) on The High Evolutionary's ship. They still Guardianed, in the end.
Hodor.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

disarm wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:25 pm I actually really enjoyed GotG 3 and would put it as second best of the three (after the original)...also the best Marvel movie in a while in my opinion, ahead of the latest Thor, Ant-Man, and Black Panther. To each their own I guess...
That's kind of a low bar, though. Haven't seen GotG but it sounds like I may wait for it to hit D+
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Brian

Post by Brian »

pr0ner wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:28 pm
Spoiler:
Your premise is flawed, though, because there was no way for them to save the people on Counter Earth, but they could save all the children (and animals) on The High Evolutionary's ship. They still Guardianed, in the end.
Spoiler:
Again, you are not reading what I'm saying or purposely ignoring it. There was no way to save everybody, obviously, which is not what I'm arguing but they could have saved SOME and quite easily and, one more time, that's not even my primary complaint. It's that they don't even ACKNOWLEDGE an entire planet full of millions of people being wiped out. How difficult would it have been to add a scene showing ANY fucking remorse?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I liked this a heckuva lot. More than GoG 2, which had some great moments but also big flaws. This was more consistently strong across the board.

At the very end the screen says
Spoiler:
THE LEGENDARY STAR LORD WILL RETURN

..and I'm not sure that I want him to. I'd much rather follow the continuing adventures of Rocket and the new Guardians, or Mantis and her trio of monster friends.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:36 pm
disarm wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:25 pm .also the best Marvel movie in a while in my opinion, ahead of the latest Thor, Ant-Man, and Black Panther.
That's kind of a low bar, though.
To put it mildly IMO.

For reference, and for any Tomatoheads out there:

GOG 3: 81% RT
GOG 2: 85% RT
GOG 1: 92% RT

I’m totally seeing this one as I love the series and the actors, but probably not at the theater.

Further, I’ll watch anything with Chris Pratt in a comedic role, he’s just so naturally funny (watch some of the outtakes from Parks and Rec to see that in action).
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:43 am
Further, I’ll watch anything with Chris Pratt in a comedic role, he’s just so naturally funny (watch some of the outtakes from Parks and Rec to see that in action).
Agreed, just don't watch them with any kids around... :lol:
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I just remembered one other bit I enjoyed.

As a PG-13 movie, Guardians gets to drop one, and only one, f-bomb:
Spoiler:
"Get in the fuckin' car."

Not during any of the hyper-intense dramatic scenes or over-the-top action scenes, just a throwaway line telling someone to get in a car. Perfect.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I really enjoyed it. Coming off of Wakanda and Quantumania mostly falling flat for me, Guardians 3 was a lot of fun. Not quite as good as 1, but well above 2 for me.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Brian wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:36 pm
pr0ner wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:28 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Again, you are not reading what I'm saying or purposely ignoring it. There was no way to save everybody, obviously, which is not what I'm arguing but they could have saved SOME and quite easily and, one more time, that's not even my primary complaint. It's that they don't even ACKNOWLEDGE an entire planet full of millions of people being wiped out. How difficult would it have been to add a scene showing ANY fucking remorse?
Spoiler:
I could be misremembering but I don't recall any real downtime to even really acknowledge it. Planet explodes and they are immediately trying to escape and save Rocket and the kids and whatnot. Then Starlord almost dies. It would have been weird for them to stop in the middle of all that and have a moment.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

So.. just read an article where James Gunn explains
Spoiler:
Groot speaking English at the end. I figured it was just him learning Englush for a special moment when instead it meant that we, the audience, had become part of the Groot family and learned how to understand Groot. I think that's pretty cool!
I think it would be a GREAT idea if once it's released on video/streaming, they go back and add subtitles to every Groot scene in every movie he's in acknowledging that we now understand him.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Gunn's explanation is how I understood that moment in the theater. Really loved it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After seeing people's reviews Im not sure Ill go see this in theaters. Sounds like its a big departure from the first two movies and the Christmas Special so maybe not something I have to rush out and see on the big screen.

Just not sure yet. But I do know Ill be seeing the last Indiana Jones in theaters. That should be a romp.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:32 pm Just not sure yet. But I do know Ill be seeing the last Indiana Jones in theaters. That should be a romp.
That's what everyone thought about Crystal Skull!

Anyway, I don't think GoG3 is much of a departure from its predecessors. Vibe-wise, it's closer the blend of heartfelt drama and humor in GoG2. But the drama parts are better executed and more affecting in the new one.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Shouldn't we be dissecting why nobody was wearing any helmets out in open space for half the movie?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Took Ethan tonight as my daughter had some school friends over and she didn't want him around :D

I love the guardian series, mainly for the humor\sarcasm. Quill and Drax just nails it everytime. It's what Mario was missing, humor.

after playing the ps5 game it dawned on me how good that game was in terms of portraying the characters.

Fun movie overall. I probably liked all 3 equally.. Solid 8's.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

naednek wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:55 am Shouldn't we be dissecting why nobody was wearing any helmets out in open space for half the movie?
If you mean the big rescue, then forcefields.
It's why
Spoiler:
Quill started dying when the 2 ships separated and he went between them.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I really enjoyed the movie. Like others, I'd put it below GotG1 but above the second one. I've always enjoyed the humor and music and was really curious how they were going to end this era. Now, I'm really curious where they'll go with this franchise next time. I mean, we know they'll eventually make another GotG movie.
Spoiler:
And with nobody dying, you really have a bevy of characters who could come back, if you throw enough money at the actor/actress. Meaning, I'd be surprised if the future GotG shown is truly the team we necessarily see. I'm not sure what's going on with Star Lord coming back... solo movie? And maybe more importantly, can they find a writer/director who will succeed with this motley crew the way that Gunn did?
Anyway, I found it entertaining unlike a lot of the recent Marvel offerings.
disarm

Post by disarm »

FWIW, Dave Bautista said he won't play Drax again unless James Gunn is in charge, which I think is pretty clearly not going to happen at this point. Zoe Saldana has also stated on multiple occasions that while she thinks there could be more stories for Gamora in the future, they won't happen with her in the role. She has no interest in doing it again.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yep. I've seen those articles. But I've seen lots of actors say they're never going to reprise a role. Until they do.

Plus, they have a lot more options here compared to say, the next Avengers movie, where most of your draws are off the board.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

disarm wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:32 pm FWIW, Dave Bautista said he won't play Drax again unless James Gunn is in charge, which I think is pretty clearly not going to happen at this point. Zoe Saldana has also stated on multiple occasions that while she thinks there could be more stories for Gamora in the future, they won't happen with her in the role. She has no interest in doing it again.
Honestly it's stuff like this that makes me kind of want photoreal CGI to go forward.
Imagine that any movie you like could continue forever if it does well. No worry about aging out or injuries or just wanting to move on. The characters could stay any age and even go back and forth. Similar to cartoons or anime but it's photoreal with no uncanny valley. Something where you have to question if it is real. You could also "film" whatever crazy scene you might want with no risk.
Yes, it would mean that some people would have to look at new careers and you would still want real people associated with it like if you used their digital likeness and audio but they could still go to events and such.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Actors are getting paid too damn much if they can afford to turn down roles.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Saw this over the weekend with my soon-to-be-11 YO son. I did really like it, and the villain was especially well done. I gotta say it was *way* darker and more grim than the prior GotG movies, and during a lot of the animal torture & murder scenes I kept looking over at my son...who didn't (I think?) seem to be bothered all that much by it. Which is....good? I think?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just saw it. I think I actually liked it better than the last one. It was long, but once the action kicked in, it moved so quickly that I didn’t feel like there was any lag time.

It also earned its emotional moments. They didn’t feel forced or unnatural.

Normally I like villains with depth who I can at least understand why they do what they do, but the actor playing the High Evolutionary did such a great job of making me hate him, that I felt like cheering when he inevitably got his comeuppance.

As for the biggest draw for me (and most likely Hentzau), Adam Warlock was really well done. But he wasn’t as big in the overall story as I’d hoped. I wanted more. I really wish they’d just make a Jim Starlin style movie with all the cosmic characters.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Agreed. For a great villain you need to be able to understand how they think of themselves as the "good guy" or hero of the story. Thanks in large part due to the amazing job that the actor did, we got that - he's trying to make a peaceful utopia, and he's also fairly crazy / unhinged. The only potentially missing piece is the story of why he became obsessively focused on that, but that's not totally necessary and since we were already at a 2.5 hour screen time, makes sense to not focus on that.

Potentially they could make him the villain again in a future Marvel movie that's set in time before this and get a little more into that, but we'll see.
Black Lives Matter.