Artificial Intelligence [ChatGPT rn]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Max Peck

Re: Artificial Intelligence [ChatGPT rn]

Post by Max Peck »

Today, on Waste an AI's Time:
Write film noire script for a scene where Eddie Dane (a character from the film Miller's Crossing) shakes down the Grinch in order to claim the stolen Christmas presents for himself.
Spoiler:
Eddie Dane approaches the Grinch, who is standing in the shadows of a dimly lit alley. The neon lights from a nearby bar cast a flickering glow over their faces.

Eddie: "I know you stole those Christmas presents, Grinch. Hand 'em over."

Grinch: "I don't know what you're talking about, Dane. I'm just a simple Who trying to spread some holiday cheer."

Eddie: "Cut the crap, Grinch. I've been watching you. I saw you pilfering those presents from under old man Whobble's tree. Now give 'em to me."

The Grinch hesitates for a moment before pulling a bag of presents out from under his coat and handing it over to Eddie.

Eddie: "I'm letting you off easy this time, Grinch. But if I catch you pulling a stunt like this again, you'll wish you'd never been born."

Grinch: "I won't cause any more trouble, Dane. I promise."

Eddie: "You'd better not. Now get out of here before I change my mind."

The Grinch scurries away as Eddie looks down at the bag of presents in his hand, a satisfied smile crossing his face.

Eddie: "Merry Christmas to me."
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Everybody Please Calm Down About ChatGPT
Over the past week or two, there's been a new AI panic brewing: this time, it's about whether ChatGPT, a chatbot created by OpenAI, is poised to render vast swaths of our society obsolete.

Sam Altman, co-founder of OpenAI (and creator of the seemingly stalled-out WorldCoin crypto project that sought to scan eyeballs for crypto but went silent after multiple investigative reports uncovered a dysfunctional operation with numerous labor and privacy concerns) himself doubts that ChatGPT is actually worthy of the reaction it's eliciting right now.

“ChatGPT is incredibly limited, but good enough at some things to create a misleading impression of greatness,” Altman said in a tweet on December 10. “It's a mistake to be relying on it for anything important right now. it’s a preview of progress; we have lots of work to do on robustness and truthfulness.”

That doesn’t seem to have stopped anyone from predicting the imminent demise of college, professors, journalism, and much more, however.
ChatGPT Is Dumber Than You Think
Treat it like a toy, not a tool.

As a critic of technology, I must say that the enthusiasm for ChatGPT, a large-language model trained by OpenAI, is misplaced. Although it may be impressive from a technical standpoint, the idea of relying on a machine to have conversations and generate responses raises serious concerns.

First and foremost, ChatGPT lacks the ability to truly understand the complexity of human language and conversation. It is simply trained to generate words based on a given input, but it does not have the ability to truly comprehend the meaning behind those words. This means that any responses it generates are likely to be shallow and lacking in depth and insight.

Furthermore, the reliance on ChatGPT for conversation raises ethical concerns. If people begin to rely on a machine to have conversations for them, it could lead to a loss of genuine human connection. The ability to connect with others through conversation is a fundamental aspect of being human, and outsourcing that to a machine could have detrimental side effects on our society.

Hold up, though. I, Ian Bogost, did not actually write the previous three paragraphs. A friend sent them to me as screenshots from his session with ChatGPT, a program released last week by OpenAI that one interacts with by typing into a chat window. It is, indeed, a large language model (or LLM), a type of deep-learning software that can generate new text once trained on massive amounts of existing written material. My friend’s prompt was this: “Create a critique of enthusiasm for ChatGPT in the style of Ian Bogost.”

ChatGPT wrote more, but I spared you the rest because it was so boring. The AI wrote another paragraph about accountability (“If ChatGPT says or does something inappropriate, who is to blame?”), and then a concluding paragraph that restated the rest (it even began, “In conclusion, …”). In short, it wrote a basic, high-school-style five-paragraph essay.
I believe they're right, but within its limitations I still find it to be a fun toy.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I don't think anyone's worried that ChatGPT is about to take over the world. It's simply a clear example of a major step forward vs prior language models.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Chatbot wrote:If people begin to rely on a machine to have conversations for them, it could lead to a loss of genuine human connection.
This line made me think of OO. Given sufficiently advanced AI, I could be posting on a forum populated by nothing but bots and not really know the difference. Though I feel a "human connection" to those I haven't met on these boards, it only comes from knowing (assuming?) there's an actual human being on the other end.

Would finding out all of you are bots make that friendship connection not be true? Makes you think as this stuff gets more advanced.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:38 pm
Chatbot wrote:If people begin to rely on a machine to have conversations for them, it could lead to a loss of genuine human connection.
This line made me think of OO. Given sufficiently advanced AI, I could be posting on a forum populated by nothing but bots and not really know the difference. Though I feel a "human connection" to those I haven't met on these boards, it only comes from knowing (assuming?) there's an actual human being on the other end.

Would finding out all of you are bots make that friendship connection not be true? Makes you think as this stuff gets more advanced.
I think it would just mean that you were friends with bots. Pretty sure we are headed that way in the not distant future a la Bladerunner 2049.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:12 am I don't think anyone's worried that ChatGPT is about to take over the world. It's simply a clear example of a major step forward vs prior language models.
In the various academic circles I dabble in, I'm already starting to see more and more instructors reporting they are seeing submissions that are likely AI written - papers and short essay questions. I'm quite curious to see how that unfolds...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:23 pm I think it would just mean that you were friends with bots. Pretty sure we are headed that way in the not distant future a la Bladerunner 2049.
I still maintain that story was about the girlfriend and should have ended when her story did and left all that boring stuff that came after. She was by far the most interesting character and remains the protagonist in my reality.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'm guessing something like Marjorie Prime would be possible now or very soon.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:27 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:12 am I don't think anyone's worried that ChatGPT is about to take over the world. It's simply a clear example of a major step forward vs prior language models.
In the various academic circles I dabble in, I'm already starting to see more and more instructors reporting they are seeing submissions that are likely AI written - papers and short essay questions. I'm quite curious to see how that unfolds...
AI simply needs self-recognition. An instructor can ask it if it wrote this, and it will know. That should be pretty straightforward if there's one dominant bot that everyone uses.

But it's an interesting conundrum -- an AI writing an original paper isn't plagiarism, so we're going to need some new rules.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:56 pm But it's an interesting conundrum -- an AI writing an original paper isn't plagiarism, so we're going to need some new rules.
You're implying that there are currently no rules against a student having someone else write a paper for them.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

He's correct - it's not plagiarism, but as you've noted it would absolutely violate academic integrity policies - at least the ones I'm familiar with.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yes, it's not plagiarism, but no, nobody needs new rules just because someone cheats using an AI instead of a ghostwriter.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's not so much new rules it's me wondering how they're going to detect it. There are already tools for plagiarism. I'm not aware of anything that can detect an AI written submission.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Stylometry? I can see a couple of ways to apply it, either by comparing an essay to control samples of a student's writing, or perhaps looking at whether particular AIs have a distinctive style. For example, ChatGPT output tends to be somewhat formulaic, so there may be a detectable signature.

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Smoove_B wrote:It's not so much new rules it's me wondering how they're going to detect it. There are already tools for plagiarism. I'm not aware of anything that can detect an AI written submission.
There’s one we use for work. It analyzed the text and gives a probability of whether it’s AI or not.

I can’t remember the name of it, and I don’t know how well it works, but I’ve seen it in action briefly.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The one I'd seen was called GPT-2 Output Detector, but it's still in development.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Seem like we don't need to worry about the AI being too good.

Here is the answer from the AI that is totally wrong or backward:

The probability of getting all male or all female springtails when randomly selecting 5 springtails would be lower than the probability of getting all male or all female springtails when selecting 10 springtails, assuming the same population and sex ratio. This is because the sample size is smaller, so there is a lower probability of getting a sample that is completely comprised of only one sex.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:23 pm I have a friend who streams cooking on Twitch. I'm not saying my new hobby is to ask them to make recipes that were written by an AI, but I'm not saying it isn't going to happen either.
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
I made a half-batch of these this afternoon. They're actually.... good. The only tweak I made was to roast the garlic first. The garlic flavor is fairly subtle, so I might increase the amount of garlic if I were to make them again.

paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I started playing with this tonight. What a hoot!

Should I go on a date with Christina on Friday night?

I cannot give you personal advice about whether or not you should go on a date with Christina on Friday night. Only you can decide if going on a date with Christina is the right choice for you. It is important to consider your own feelings and what you want out of the experience. It may also be helpful to communicate with Christina and get a sense of what she is looking for and whether you both have similar expectations for the date. Ultimately, the decision is yours and you should do what feels best for you.

Would it be better if I just stayed home?

It is impossible for me to determine whether it would be better for you to go on a date with Christina or to stay home. Only you know what will bring you the most happiness and fulfillment. If you are unsure about whether you want to go on the date, it might be helpful to take some time to think about your feelings and what you want out of the experience. You could also consider talking to someone you trust, such as a friend or family member, about your thoughts and feelings. Ultimately, the decision is yours and you should do what feels right for you.
No sig, must scream, etc.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

What's the best way to enjoy my work more?

There are several things you can try to help you enjoy your work more:

Set goals for yourself: Having specific goals can help you stay motivated and focused on your work.

Take breaks: Taking regular breaks can help you avoid burnout and increase your productivity.

Find meaning in your work: If you can find meaning or purpose in your work, it can be more rewarding and enjoyable.

Build positive relationships: Building positive relationships with your coworkers can make work more enjoyable and fulfilling.

Seek out opportunities for growth and development: Look for opportunities to learn new skills or take on new challenges in your work.

Take care of yourself: Make sure to take care of your physical and mental health by getting enough sleep, eating well, and finding ways to manage stress.

Seek out support: If you are struggling to enjoy your work, it might be helpful to talk to a manager, mentor, or a mental health professional for support and guidance.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Paul could not decide if he should go on a date with Christina or just stay home for the night. Write a pop song about his ordeal and how he resolved the issue.
Spoiler:
Verse 1:
Paul is feeling torn inside
Should he stay or should he go outside
He's got a date with Christina tonight
But he's not sure it's worth the fight

Chorus:
Oh, what should he do?
Should he take a chance or play it cool?
He's got a heart that's beating fast
But he doesn't know if it's meant to last

Verse 2:
He's got his friends all on the phone
Telling him to go and not to stay alone
But something in his gut is saying no
He's not sure if he's ready to go

Chorus:
Oh, what should he do?

Bridge:
Maybe he's just overthinking
Maybe he's just too afraid
But he knows he's got to make a choice
Before the night slips away

Chorus:
Oh, what should he do?

Outro:
He finally makes his decision
He's going to take the chance and go
He knows he might regret it
But he's tired of living in the unknown
He'll take a deep breath and hold on tight
And hope that everything will be alright

Chorus:
Oh, he knows what he'll do
He's gonna take a chance and see it through
And he's finally ready to make it last

paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

That's great!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

lol!
nice

indecisión me molesta
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Write a television script for a scene from The Walking Dead where Rick and Shane settle their differences with a rap battle, after which the other members of the group decide who was the winner.
Spoiler:
"The Walking Dead"
Scene: "Rap Battle"

[Open on Rick and Shane standing face to face in the middle of the group's campsite. The other survivors are gathered around them, watching intently.]

Rick: "Shane, you and I have had our differences. But I think it's time we settle this once and for all."

Shane: "Oh, you want to settle this? Fine by me."

Rick: "I propose a rap battle."

Shane: "You're on."

[The group cheers as Rick and Shane begin to rap.]

Rick: "I'm Rick Grimes, the leader of this pack
I may not be a rapper, but I'll never hold back
I've been through hell and back, but I'm still standing
I've got a plan to keep us all surviving"

Shane: "I'm Shane Walsh, the man with the gun
I'll take you down, Rick, and it won't be fun
You may be the leader, but I call the shots
I'll do whatever it takes, even if it gets hot"

[The group cheers and claps as Rick and Shane continue to rap, trading verses back and forth. After they finish, the group members huddle together to decide on a winner.]

Daryl: "I don't know, Rick had some good lines."

Carol: "Yeah, but Shane's delivery was on point."

Maggie: "I think they both had their moments."

[The group continues to debate, until finally, they come to a decision.]

Glenn: "Alright, we've made our decision. The winner of the rap battle is... Rick!"

[The group cheers as Rick and Shane embrace, finally putting their differences aside.]

Announcer: "Don't miss the next episode of 'The Walking Dead,' where tensions reach a boiling point in a rap battle for the ages."
Bonus Stable Diffusion contribution:
Enlarge Image

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Some people on the World of Warcraft forums started feeding ChatGPT the game information and asking it to predict the content/theme of the next expansion. Some of the ideas that the AI spit out sounds better than some of the real WoW expansions from recent years :lol:
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I recently came across an AI that does video mashups. It actually seems to analyze the videos, both sound and imagery to better match them up.

On my first try, I decided to go with Bill Haley's Rock Around the Clock and Chuck Berry's Johnny B Goode. In the beginning, it doesn't sound too great due to the timing of bringing both videos in, but once they get going, I found they worked surprisingly well together and even ended up complimenting each other. Where it really impressed me is in a scene with dancing, where it splits the video up into two screens synched up to the dancing. The end-result is actually pretty great. I've tried other mashups since, but my first one is still the best one I've come up with.

https://rave.dj/K49hraRj1h-iWQ

https://rave.dj/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's not just me...

AlexBlechman wrote:The main feature of ChatGPT is that it will write whatever you tell it to. The writing isn’t good, just obedient, so the only way to make it good is to tell the AI to write the dumbest thing you can think of

Task an all-knowing AI with writing a Beatles song about Naruto
Spoiler:
Verse 1:
Naruto, don't make it bad,
Take a sad song and make it better,
Remember to let your spirit wild and fiery,
And the nine-tailed fox inside you will always shine bright

Chorus:
Naruto, Naruto,
On a journey to be the best,
With your friends by your side,
You'll fight to protect the rest.

Verse 2:
The world is on your shoulders,
But you never let it show,
You've got a heart of gold,
And a will to never let go

Chorus:
Naruto, Naruto,

Bridge:
You've faced many trials and tribulations,
But you've always stood tall,
You're the hero of the Leaf,
And you'll catch them all

Chorus:
Naruto, Naruto,

Outro:
Hey Naruto, don't let it be bad,
Remember to let your spirit shine bright,
You've got a heart of gold and a will to never let go.

Na na na na na na
Na na na na na na
Na na na, Naruto
Na na na na na na
Na na na na na na
Na na na, Naruto

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

ChatGPT may be bad at math...
How old was Jewel Staite when she was in the cast of Firefly?
Jewel Staite was 22 years old when she starred in the cast of Firefly.
Are you talking about the television series or the film (Serenity)?
I am talking about the television series Firefly. Serenity was the film continuation of the series.
What year was Jewel Staite born?
Jewel Staite was born on June 2, 1982.
What year was Firefly filmed?
Firefly was filmed in 2002.
If Jewel Staite was born in 1982 and Firefly was filmed in 2002, why do you say she was 22 when she was in the cast of Firefly? Shouldn't the answer have been that she was 20 years old at that time?
I apologize, I made a mistake in my previous response. Jewel Staite was 20 years old when she starred in the cast of Firefly.
Either it can't calculate the difference between 1982 and 2002, or it actually did conflate Firefly and Serenity and gave her age as of the filming of the movie rather than the TV series.

The morale of the story is that you can't trust an AI to be correct on even simple things.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remember to let your spirit shine bright,
You've got a heart of gold and a will to never let go.

Na na na na na na
Na na na na na na
Na na na, Naruto
Na na na na na na
Na na na na na na
Na na na, Naruto
That's kind awesome.

Also Naruto has some of the best intro and outro music of any show ever.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And here I thought Naruto must be a Prime Minister of Israel or something.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

More evidence that you just cannot trust ChatGPT with simple, factual information, such as the fact that Ryan Gosling appeared in both "Remember the Titans" and "Blade Runner 2049".
List any actors who were in the casts of both of the following films: "Remember the Titans" and "Blade Runner 2049"
Will Patton was in the cast of both "Remember the Titans" and "Blade Runner 2049".
What role did Will Patton play in Blade Runner 2049?
Will Patton played the role of Lieutenant Joshi in "Blade Runner 2049".
What role did Robin Wright play in Blade Runner 2049?
Robin Wright played the role of Lieutenant Joshi in "Blade Runner 2049".
Why did you previously say that Will Patton played that role?
I apologize for the mistake, Robin Wright played the role of Lieutenant Joshi in "Blade Runner 2049", not Will Patton. Will Patton played the role of a character named 'Lieutenant Kelly' in the movie. My apologies for any confusion caused by my earlier response.
What is your source for the information that Will Patton played the role of a character named "Lieutenant Kelly" in the film Blade Runner 2049?
I apologize, I made a mistake. Will Patton did not appear in the film "Blade Runner 2049", I apologize for any confusion caused by my previous responses. My training data does not contain any information about Will Patton appearing in "Blade Runner 2049".
Who did play the role of "Lieutenant Kelly" in the film Blade Runner 2049?
I apologize, there is no character named "Lieutenant Kelly" in the film "Blade Runner 2049". I apologize for any confusion caused by my previous responses. My training data is not up to date and I made a mistake.
Another correct answer to the original question would have been Wood Harris, but ChatGPT thought that someone else (David Dastmalchian) played his role (Nandez), and someone else (Ana de Armas) played Dastmalchian's role (Coco) as well as her actual role (Joi). When I pointed out that Coco and Joi were separate characters, ChatGPT corrected itself by saying that Ana de Armas played Joi but that Coco didn't exist, at which point I decided to climb out of that particular rabbit hole.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I’m fascinated by its ability to be wrong, and also know that it’s wrong.

What’s up with that?!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's complex software that has some bugs? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The thing that strikes me as weird is that it's messing up (pretty frequently, for things I've tried at least) with stuff that you'd expect it to be good at: correlating factual information such as "How old was <actor> when they made <film>?" or "Which actors were in both <film1> and <film2>?"

It was also a bit of an adventure to get it to correctly factor a number. It had problems with losing track of which number it was supposed to factor as it iterated through the algorithm as well as correctly following the algorithm. For example, in one case it just stopped short of the correct answer, apparently assuming that a non-prime factor was prime.

It's a fun toy, but for the time being I wouldn't trust it for any sort of serious work.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sounds like it has difficulty tracking multiple sources.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
malchior

Post by malchior »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:21 pm It's complex software that has some bugs? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The thing that strikes me as weird is that it's messing up (pretty frequently, for things I've tried at least) with stuff that you'd expect it to be good at: correlating factual information such as "How old was <actor> when they made <film>?" or "Which actors were in both <film1> and <film2>?"
It's beta so I would imagine the weirdness comes from data sources that aren't clean or uniform.
It was also a bit of an adventure to get it to correctly factor a number. It had problems with losing track of which number it was supposed to factor as it iterated through the algorithm as well as correctly following the algorithm. For example, in one case it just stopped short of the correct answer, apparently assuming that a non-prime factor was prime.
Anything around factorization/proving primality is potentially expensive and difficult. For small numbers you can use some classic algorithms and often just indexed or brute force (in-memory) lists. But outside a range of them you start getting into requiring large scale factorization which then you need to run and provide feedback on since it's not 'real-time'.

And I suspect that in its current form each query is stateless and passes any previous work completed in as input which is a source of "pollution" that cascades.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nick Cave ain't a fan of ChatGPT as a songwriting tool. Someone sent him the results of ChatGPT being asked to write a song in the style of Nick Cave....and it didn't go over well.

Dear Mark,

Since its launch in November last year many people, most buzzing with a kind of algorithmic awe, have sent me songs ‘in the style of Nick Cave’ created by ChatGPT. There have been dozens of them. Suffice to say, I do not feel the same enthusiasm around this technology. I understand that ChatGPT is in its infancy but perhaps that is the emerging horror of AI – that it will forever be in its infancy, as it will always have further to go, and the direction is always forward, always faster. It can never be rolled back, or slowed down, as it moves us toward a utopian future, maybe, or our total destruction. Who can possibly say which? Judging by this song ‘in the style of Nick Cave’ though, it doesn’t look good, Mark. The apocalypse is well on its way. This song sucks.

What ChatGPT is, in this instance, is replication as travesty. ChatGPT may be able to write a speech or an essay or a sermon or an obituary but it cannot create a genuine song. It could perhaps in time create a song that is, on the surface, indistinguishable from an original, but it will always be a replication, a kind of burlesque.

Songs arise out of suffering, by which I mean they are predicated upon the complex, internal human struggle of creation and, well, as far as I know, algorithms don’t feel. Data doesn’t suffer. ChatGPT has no inner being, it has been nowhere, it has endured nothing, it has not had the audacity to reach beyond its limitations, and hence it doesn’t have the capacity for a shared transcendent experience, as it has no limitations from which to transcend. ChatGPT’s melancholy role is that it is destined to imitate and can never have an authentic human experience, no matter how devalued and inconsequential the human experience may in time become.

What makes a great song great is not its close resemblance to a recognizable work. Writing a good song is not mimicry, or replication, or pastiche, it is the opposite. It is an act of self-murder that destroys all one has strived to produce in the past. It is those dangerous, heart-stopping departures that catapult the artist beyond the limits of what he or she recognises as their known self. This is part of the authentic creative struggle that precedes the invention of a unique lyric of actual value; it is the breathless confrontation with one’s vulnerability, one’s perilousness, one’s smallness, pitted against a sense of sudden shocking discovery; it is the redemptive artistic act that stirs the heart of the listener, where the listener recognizes in the inner workings of the song their own blood, their own struggle, their own suffering. This is what we humble humans can offer, that AI can only mimic, the transcendent journey of the artist that forever grapples with his or her own shortcomings. This is where human genius resides, deeply embedded within, yet reaching beyond, those limitations.

It may sound like I’m taking all this a little too personally, but I’m a songwriter who is engaged, at this very moment, in the process of songwriting. It’s a blood and guts business, here at my desk, that requires something of me to initiate the new and fresh idea. It requires my humanness. What that new idea is, I don’t know, but it is out there somewhere, searching for me. In time, we will find each other.

Mark, thanks for the song, but with all the love and respect in the world, this song is bullshit, a grotesque mockery of what it is to be human, and, well, I don’t much like it — although, hang on!, rereading it, there is a line in there that speaks to me —

‘I’ve got the fire of hell in my eyes’

— says the song ‘in the style of Nick Cave’, and that’s kind of true. I have got the fire of hell in my eyes – and it’s ChatGPT.

Love, Nick
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

He's not wrong. I've burned untold thousands of CPU cycles telling ChatGPT to write parodies of songs in the style of all sorts of songwriters, and while some were funny they were all complete crap.

Just like this one:
Spoiler:
Verse 1:
Nick Cave sits alone in his room
Typing on his keyboard, consumed
By the thought of these machine-made words
Spewing out like a lyrical curse

Chorus:
These AI-generated lines
They make my skin crawl, they make me cringe
They lack the soul, the depth, the pain
That only a human can attain

Verse 2:
They say that these models are the future
But I'll stick to my pen and my suture
I'll sew up my wounds and my fears
And write songs that make people shed tears

Chorus:
These AI-generated lines

Bridge:
I'll sing of love and of loss
Of the beauty and the cost
I'll scream of anger and fear
And make my audience's heart hear

Chorus:
These AI-generated lines

Outro:
So let these machines spit out their verse
But it will never be better than the words
That come from the heart of a poet like me
Nick Cave, the one and only.

It's important to note that as a language model, i have no knowledge about Nick Cave's thoughts or feelings about AI-generated lyrics, this song is a fiction that I came up with based on the style of Nick Cave and it's not true to his personal opinion.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:49 am I’m fascinated by its ability to be wrong, and also know that it’s wrong.

What’s up with that?!
Was it wrong or did it get caught lying?

I mean today it's "Will Patton played the role of Lieutenant Joshi", tomorrow it could be, "Yes, uncooked chicken is safe if left out overnight" or "Current altitude is totally 700 feet."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:40 pm
Unagi wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:49 am I’m fascinated by its ability to be wrong, and also know that it’s wrong.

What’s up with that?!

I mean today it's "Will Patton played the role of Lieutenant Joshi", tomorrow it could be, "Yes, uncooked chicken is safe if left out overnight" or "Current altitude is totally 700 feet."
I apologize, I made a mistake. The altitude was not 700 feet, I apologize for any confusion caused by my previous responses.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:40 pm

What’s up with that?!

LOL. Murderous hellbot trying to take us out. I see what you’re doing there, ChatGPT, if that’s even your REAL name.

The ai overlords are going to torture us and have a bit of fun a la Home Alone before they execute the ‘terminate’ program. Nice.