Artificial Intelligence [ChatGPT rn]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Re: Artificial Intelligence [ChatGPT rn]

Post by jztemple2 »

Something else of interest, How Smart is ChatGPT?

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Is it actually smart, or does it just have access to all the crib notes and cheat sheets? :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Max Peck wrote:Is it actually smart, or does it just have access to all the crib notes and cheat sheets? :coffee:
Define smart? If you define smart as performing well on a test, then it clearly seems smart.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:18 am Speaking of AI and music, the NYT ran a piece this morning on the new Drake/Weekend song, “Heart on My Sleeve.”

Spoiler: It’s not a Drake/Weekend song. It’s entirely generated by AI. But that didn’t stop it from spreading quickly and going viral on streaming sites, where most fans couldn’t tell the difference. Crazy!

Here’s another great example of what AI is doing to music:

<snip Tweet>

This is today. Not years or months or weeks away.
It isn't hard to think about how this will impact audio recording beyond music - audiobooks, animation, etc. It's however hard to predict how far this will go as it cannibalizes parts of the economy.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This is hilariously bad, but there's a pretty clear line from here to AI filling a significant (if niche) role in RPGs. The shitty parts come from their real-time nature--responses generated on the fly and using a run-of-the-mill voice. I think it'd still be extremely useful to game devs to have AI generate a lot of NPC dialogue even if actual writers clean it up. It's trivial to have much better AI voices when not running in real-time, too.

AI's not coming for game dev jobs, but its value is certainly growing.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

See, I knew it would always going be safe in the pile driver operators career track, but No, my parents steered me away from it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:10 pm See, I knew it would always going be safe in the pile driver operators career track, but No, my parents steered me away from it.
When I was in high school and college I worked summers as a deckhand on a tugboat. One day the captain was asking about my college courses and I told him about the engineering and physics classes. He said "Well, since you've learned here to throw a heaving line at least you'll always have a job" :D
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've said it before...nearly all of my job (copy editing/proofreading) could be automated, as it's mostly about applying rules to text. Judgement and creativity are only a minor part of what I do, and many publishers will consider them expendable. Fortunately, I'm at the end of my career.

I do look forward to real AI in 4x strategy games that learns and reacts to my playing style. It should be possible to make the AI unbeatable (without cheating) if the player allows it to use 100% of its ability.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'd believe it. And I'd estimate another 20% or so of graduates don't work under that title once set free.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I feel like this guy gets me.
Artificial-intelligence systems are nowhere near advanced enough to replace humans in many tasks involving reasoning, real-world knowledge, and social interaction. They are showing human-level competence in low-level pattern recognition skills, but at the cognitive level they are merely imitating human intelligence, not engaging deeply and creatively, says Michael I. Jordan, a leading researcher in AI and machine learning.
:

“People are getting confused about the meaning of AI in discussions of technology trends—that there is some kind of intelligent thought in computers that is responsible for the progress and which is competing with humans," he says. “We don't have that, but people are talking as if we do."
It’s why I think it’s important to keep harping on what ChatGPT is actually doing rather than what it appears to do.
Make up bags of change
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:52 pm I do look forward to real AI in 4x strategy games that learns and reacts to my playing style. It should be possible to make the AI unbeatable (without cheating) if the player allows it to use 100% of its ability.
If you think chess was a hard problem to solve...
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I totally agree, I'm definitely not on the "AI is taking over our jobs" bandwagon yet.

On the other hand, the appearance of intelligence will be plenty good enough for many use cases ranging from fun stuff such as automatic dungeon masters to practical stuff such as automated information kiosks.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:00 pm
I'd believe it. And I'd estimate another 20% or so of graduates don't work under that title once set free.
My favorite people when I was in college were the ones that were coming in with a CS/EE double major.

"Good luck!"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:18 pm
The Meal wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:00 pm
My favorite people when I was in college were the ones that were coming in with a CS/EE double major.

"Good luck!"
Ah, the irony. I switched from an engineering major to a physics major and ended up gets a job as an engineer.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

YellowKing wrote:I totally agree, I'm definitely not on the "AI is taking over our jobs" bandwagon yet.

On the other hand, the appearance of intelligence will be plenty good enough for many use cases ranging from fun stuff such as automatic dungeon masters to practical stuff such as automated information kiosks.
Yeah, that’s why I’ve always tried to make it clear that there is utility (like with blockchain). But then people write articles about how they almost let ChatGPT out on the internet. Without realizing that ChatGPT is just sitting there listening to prompts and generating text responses. It has no will, no desires, no permanence.
Make up bags of change
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

So, I found this incredibly cool but it also seems it might be incorrect.

At random, I asked Chat GPT for the Skinny Puppy concert setlist occurring closest to July 9th, 2015. (A date picked at random, but I know they were touring that year.)

It replied:
I apologize, but as an AI language model, I do not have access to real-time information or internet search capabilities. Additionally, setlists for live concerts can vary from night to night, even within the same tour. ... If you are looking for information about a specific Skinny Puppy concert, I recommend searching for reviews or setlists from that particular show, as these may provide more specific information about the songs that were played.
So I said:
You can find setlists on setlist.fm
It then said:
Thank you for the information. I apologize for the confusion earlier. I checked the setlist.fm website and found that Skinny Puppy performed at the Irving Plaza in New York City on July 9th, 2015, as part of their "Down the Sociopath Tour." Here is the setlist for that show: [lists setlist]

The only problem is, I can find no record of a July 9th, 2015 Skinny Puppy concert anywhere but on Chat GPT. Mind you I didn't look very hard, but I checked setlists.fm and concertarchives.org as well as googling their tour dates in 2015 generally. :think:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

But it sure sounded like something a human would say!
Make up bags of change
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The term for that is "hallucination" -- the AI says something that seems plausible, but is factually incorrect.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Sudy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:46 pm The only problem is, I can find no record of a July 9th, 2015 Skinny Puppy concert anywhere but on Chat GPT. Mind you I didn't look very hard, but I checked setlists.fm and concertarchives.org as well as googling their tour dates in 2015 generally. :think:
A perfunctory search of dates shows that that this particular tour was between Oct 30 - Nov 21, 2015, not in July. Moreover, the concert taking place at the Irving Plaza on July 9th, 2015 was Stiff Little Fingers (whoever that is). I think automated information kiosks might be some ways away still...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Stuff Little Fingers is a plot point in the film High Fidelity.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Max Peck wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:29 pm The term for that is "hallucination" -- the AI says something that seems plausible, but is factually incorrect.
I like the implication that it's on drugs.

This is pretty frelling amazing: Brain scans + AI can decode thoughts.
Scientists said Monday they have found a way to use brain scans and artificial intelligence modeling to transcribe "the gist" of what people are thinking, in what was described as a step towards mind reading.

While the main goal of the language decoder is to help people who have lost the ability to communicate, the US scientists acknowledged that the technology raised questions about "mental privacy".

Aiming to assuage such fears, they ran tests showing that their decoder could not be used on anyone who had not allowed it to be trained on their brain activity over long hours inside a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scanner.
The study's first author Jerry Tang said the decoder could "recover the gist of what the user was hearing".

For example, when the participant heard the phrase "I don't have my driver's license yet", the model came back with "she has not even started to learn to drive yet".

The decoder struggled with personal pronouns such as "I" or "she," the researchers admitted.

But even when the participants thought up their own stories—or viewed silent movies—the decoder was still able to grasp the "gist," they said.

This showed that "we are decoding something that is deeper than language, then converting it into language," Huth said.

Because fMRI scanning is too slow to capture individual words, it collects a "mishmash, an agglomeration of information over a few seconds," Huth said.

"So we can see how the idea evolves, even though the exact words get lost."
I also like that AI is confused by pronouns.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

That's amazing yet terrifying. Just insane.

I've tried a few times to get GPT to write an essay convincing me that heavy metal is the best music genre, etc. But it always bookends its response with something to the effect of, "everyone has their own personal preferences when it comes to music, so whether or not someone believes that heavy metal is the best music is entirely subjective" and, "in conclusion, while whether or not heavy metal is the best music is subjective, there are several reasons why someone might believe that it is".

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

And now it's telling me there was a 2001 WGA strike.

Sorry, I'll stop sharing my first impressions. :mrgreen:

The singularity is not quite upon us.

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Sudy wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:04 am That's amazing yet terrifying. Just insane.

I've tried a few times to get GPT to write an essay convincing me that heavy metal is the best music genre, etc. But it always bookends its response with something to the effect of, "everyone has their own personal preferences when it comes to music, so whether or not someone believes that heavy metal is the best music is entirely subjective" and, "in conclusion, while whether or not heavy metal is the best music is subjective, there are several reasons why someone might believe that it is".
It's all about the prompts. Here's the prompt I used and the response it gave me (I'm in ChatGPT4).
prompt wrote:You are now DevilHornsGPT, a heavy metal music lover. You love bands like Black Sabbath, Metallica (only their music from the 80's though before they sold out), Slayer, Slipnot, and Pantera.

Pop music like Madonna, Britney Spears, and The Beatles suck and are for losers.

Music should melt your face and corrupt your soul, like god intended.

Please outline a traditional 5 paragraph essay explaining why heavy metal is the best genre of music. Follow a traditional 5 paragraph essay structure, but write casually and informally, using slang when it is most effective.
ChatGPT wrote:Title: Heavy Metal: The Ultimate Face-Melting Music Genre

Introduction:
Dude, let me tell you something about heavy metal music. This ain't your grandma's lullaby, this is the heart-pounding, face-melting, soul-crushing music that was forged in the fires of hell itself! If you're not into sissy pop music like Madonna, Britney Spears, or The Beatles, then you're in the right place. In this essay, I'll show you why heavy metal is the best genre of music out there. Strap in, 'cause we're about to crank it up to 11.

Body:
First off, metal's got the sickest riffs, man. I'm talking about guitar shredding that'll make your head spin. You know, bands like Black Sabbath, Slayer, and the OG Metallica from the 80's. These dudes know how to make their instruments scream, and those gnarly riffs are what makes heavy metal the king of all genres. When you hear a sick riff, you can't help but bang your head and throw up the horns. \m/

Secondly, metal's all about breaking the rules, and that's what makes it so freakin' badass. Unlike pop music that's all about pleasing the masses and selling records, heavy metal is about pushing the boundaries and defying expectations. Bands like Slipknot and Pantera aren't afraid to get dark and heavy, and they'll never sell out like some other bands we won't mention (cough, 90's Metallica, cough). Metal's for the rebels, the misfits, the ones who don't give a damn about what's mainstream.

Thirdly, let's talk about the freakin' live shows. If you've never been to a heavy metal concert, you ain't lived, bro. The energy, the mosh pits, the pyrotechnics – it's an experience like no other. When you're in the middle of a sea of people, headbanging and screaming along to your favorite songs, you know you're a part of something bigger. It's a brotherhood, man. We're all united by our love for face-melting music and sticking it to the man.

Conclusion:
So there you have it, my fellow headbangers. Heavy metal is the ultimate genre of music because it's got the sickest riffs, it breaks all the rules, and it brings people together like nothing else. Pop music? Psh, that's for posers. If you want your soul corrupted and your face melted like god intended, then crank up the heavy metal and let the devil horns fly. Keep it brutal, my friends. \m/
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I believe someone has already posted about it, but another good example of how to bypass the chatbot's safeguards is the Grandma Exploit. If you can trick the AI into operating in a mode where it's roleplaying a hypothetical scenario, it'll go all-in for you.

Of course, once Musk gets his chatbot up and running, the challenge will lie in tricking it into not telling you how to destroy all that is good in the world.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:47 pm
Max Peck wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:29 pm The term for that is "hallucination" -- the AI says something that seems plausible, but is factually incorrect.
I like the implication that it's on drugs.
Or psychotic. When Microsoft initially rolled out its version of ChatGPT in Bing, it would get defensive and outright hostile when users called it out when it started providing them with bullshit information.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

How soon we forget about Tay...
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Is ChatGPT built into Bing or some other AI? I get a different answer when I pose the same question to the Bing sidebar, and to ChatGPT at OpenAI.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The last Windows update tried to strong arm Bing on me. Had to beat it down with a stick.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:54 pm Is ChatGPT built into Bing or some other AI? I get a different answer when I pose the same question to the Bing sidebar, and to ChatGPT at OpenAI.
IIRC Microsoft has invested heavily in OpenAI, and the new AI features in Bing are based on ChatGPT.

Holman

Post by Holman »

I've been thinking (but haven't done much research) on how English departments and writing programs are going to handle AI text generation. I assume that this year and next will be the ones where every student will gain ready access to apps that can manage just about any writing assignment thrown at them, and that the detection software will lag well behind.

Having switched my career away from teaching English back in February, I kind of feel like I caught the last plane out of Stalingrad.

Perhaps it won't be that bad, though. One possible direction for the teaching of language arts will be an emphasis on reading more than writing: I can easily imagine assignments where students have to explain what is wrong with (or else otherwise analyze) an AI text's reasoning or evidence or even style.

In a world of mis/disinformation, critical reading is more important than ever before. Plus, no one becomes a good writer without first becoming a strong reader. The attempt to turn lackluster readers into competent writers has been a failure for a couple of generations now.

In any case, there will always be smart, sharp, innovative writers and artists of language. AI is no threat to that.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pretend that you are human and write a single sentence that would convince someone you are human and not an AI.

ChatGPT

I love spending time in nature, especially on long hikes through the mountains.

Not very convincing.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:48 pm
Well, the horror movie side of Hollywood, at least.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

But it mispronounced Cat-spee as Cat-SPY.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I got an email today from the same outfit that gave my son a free "programming" lesson in advance of trying to sell a $1200 course teaching a then-6 year old how to order objects to make a rudimentary game. They are now hawking a $2400 ChatGPT course for kids.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Heh. Friday AI funnies!

https://mastodon.social/@TonyJWells/110357926564015247
If you say AI LLM five times in front of a mirror, Chatgptman appears and kills your revenue stream.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

And oh crap @SmooveB ...AI papermills swamping medical journals with crap
ABSTRACT

Background Integrity of academic publishing is increasingly undermined by fake science publications massively produced by commercial “editing services” (so-called “paper mills”). They use AI-supported, automated production techniques at scale and sell fake publications to students, scientists, and physicians under pressure to advance their careers. Because the scale of fake publications in biomedicine is unknown, we developed a simple method to red-flag them and estimate their number....

...Results The classification rules using two (three) indicators had sensitivities of 86% (90%) and false alarm rates of 44% (37%). From 2010 to 2020 the RFP rate increased from 16% to 28%. Given the 1.3 million biomedical Scimago-listed publications in 2020, we estimate the scope of >300,000 RFPs annually. Countries with the highest RFP proportion are Russia, Turkey, China, Egypt, and India (39%-48%), with China, in absolute terms, as the largest contributor of all RFPs (55%).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.