Winter 2022-23 is coming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Re: Winter 2022-23 is coming

Post by jztemple2 »

Central Florida temps at 10am:
Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I heard on one of the national news broadcasts that parts of Texas are experiencing a once in generation winter storm. Is this three years in a row with a once in generation winter event?

I guess they shut down part of 75 in Tennessee, at least the part where one of my sisters was traveling to Florida on. No idea how/where she is holed up now, but I guess actually being Florida wouldn't be any better for her, huh.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Woke up at 5:45 am this morning to no heat; furnace won't fire. Finally managed to get a technician to answer the phone and will hopefully be back up and running this afternoon. Current temp in the house: 59 degrees.

Would not recommend. Current guess - gelled fuel line (heating oil).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Was 11 degrees when I checked at 9 a.m. Now up to a balmy 14. We might hit 20 today!

Fortunately this isn't supposed to last more than a couple of days.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

We're up to six! High suggested in 18.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Power was out twice this morning. Once before daylight and once a few min ago. Im not sure how long they stayed out as I was asleep when they started. My guess is the same as yesterdays...15 or so. But its screwing with staying warm or keeping this old house any temp.

Im not sure if its problems causing these power outages or they are doing rolling blackouts. Usually we dont lose power like these blips.

EDIT: https://www.clevelandutilities.com/news ... T6_R65.php
TVA Initiates Step 50 Again - Rotating 15-Minute Interruptions in Electric Service 12/24
I dont think thats ever happened here.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:29 pm Power was out twice this morning. Once before daylight and once a few min ago. Im not sure how long they stayed out as I was asleep when they started. My guess is the same as yesterdays...15 or so. But its screwing with staying warm or keeping this old house any temp.

Im not sure if its problems causing these power outages or they are doing rolling blackouts. Usually we dont lose power like these blips.

EDIT: https://www.clevelandutilities.com/news ... T6_R65.php
TVA Initiates Step 50 Again - Rotating 15-Minute Interruptions in Electric Service 12/24
I dont think thats ever happened here.
Yep, dealt with our first rolling blackout this morning at 7:30. Lasted 30 minutes. First I can recall in my 50+ years. Oh, to see the people complain on Facebook. A lot of ignorance.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I saw something on Emergency Twitter about the power outages in TN being related to generation issues, not downed wires.

Yeah, internet confirms,
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

my kitchen hot water line is froze. The very long line on the unheated back porch to the bathroom is fine. Lucky the kitchen line is accessible and short so got a heater in the area on it and using a hair dryer a good ways from it...and I moved the kerosene heater to the back porch to warm that area up
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Pull up! Pull up! We seem to be pulling the nose up so to speak. Getting warmer as we go. Friday is shorts and t-shirts and croquet

Enlarge Image
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

23 out. Ice and snow aren't melting but the house temp is up to 63.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Heh.Image

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My hot water came back to the kitchen. Took all day. I was standing there eating turkey and it started to drip then in a bit a tiny stream and finally ran good.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It's 5X warmer than it was three days ago.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:51 pm It's 5X warmer than it was three days ago.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

:lol:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:14 pm I used to have a pretty comprehensive collection of SFB magazines (Nexus and Captain's Log). When Star Fleet Command was in development the devs were seeking out some specific SFB references. I still have some emails that I exchanged with Chris Taylor back in 1999 that culminated with me sending them my stash of Nexus magazines in exchange for a copy of the game manual signed by the dev team. I did take the time to photocopy everything before shipping it to them. Me-now is more than a little miffed with me-then for sending them the originals instead of the photocopies.
Off topic again :roll:

I fired up my copy of Starfleet Command 2 Community Edition and gave it a whirl. I forgot how to play, so the Klingon got the drop on me :roll:. And then the game locked up so I spent the last fifteen seconds trying to end the game and avoid rebooting, but failed.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:41 am I fired up my copy of Starfleet Command 2 Community Edition and gave it a whirl. I forgot how to play, so the Klingon got the drop on me :roll:. And then the game locked up so I spent the last fifteen seconds trying to end the game and avoid rebooting, but failed.
I theoretically have a copy of SFC2: Orion Pirates with the Dynaverse.net patches, which is the high point of the franchise, but I don't know if I ever got it running reliably on this particular PC.

While it's been ages since I played it, the ship combat in Star Trek Online has a nice SFB vibe to it.

Meanwhile, we've returned to regular winter weather here. It's cold out, but not Icepocalypse 2022 cold by any means, although it never really got that bad compared to what thit the US. The worst of it for us was the freezing rain and wind on Friday, and most of the fallout from that was cleared up by Saturday.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We woke up here to temps again in the thirties. Not as breezy as yesterday but it is overcast so no nice warming sun. It might be warm enough for my morning walk tomorrow, but I'm afraid I won't be seeing any lizards for awhile (my small lizards, not falling iguanas :wink:). Still, it is supposed to be in the low eighties by next weekend.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Something I've never seen here before, frost on the pool screening. It rarely gets to freezing anymore and when it does it is usually very dry outside, but it is overcast and there is more humidity than I normally see at these temps.
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My kitchen hot water is fine today but now the feed line to the toilet is frozen. It wont refill. Back to my old friend bucket flushing until it does.

EDIT: Toilet unfroze by itself..yay!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

jztemple2 wrote:
Max Peck wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:14 pm I used to have a pretty comprehensive collection of SFB magazines (Nexus and Captain's Log). When Star Fleet Command was in development the devs were seeking out some specific SFB references. I still have some emails that I exchanged with Chris Taylor back in 1999 that culminated with me sending them my stash of Nexus magazines in exchange for a copy of the game manual signed by the dev team. I did take the time to photocopy everything before shipping it to them. Me-now is more than a little miffed with me-then for sending them the originals instead of the photocopies.
Off topic again :roll:

I fired up my copy of Starfleet Command 2 Community Edition and gave it a whirl. I forgot how to play, so the Klingon got the drop on me :roll:. And then the game locked up so I spent the last fifteen seconds trying to end the game and avoid rebooting, but failed.

I still have my old Star Fleet Battles binder with all the ships in mylar sheets for grease pencil damage, as well as the initial book! Not sure if I still have a map tho.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have all 3 SFC games here. Loved them. And Orion Pirates. Its a shame 2 was so buggy when it came out.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:52 pm I still have my old Star Fleet Battles binder with all the ships in mylar sheets for grease pencil damage, as well as the initial book! Not sure if I still have a map tho.
About twenty-some years ago I had to make a decision about how I was going to use the space in my office, whether to keep several hundred old wargames or to get rid of them so I could make room for the books I'd started to collect. The books won and I boxed up all the games and the loose binders and whatnot. Since I was busy at work, my wife contacted the owner of Enterprise 1701. He came over, surveyed what I had and filled up his van with all of them after making her an offer. In the boxes was all my old Starfleet Battles content, but that was fair since he had sold me almost all of it :wink:

Meanwhile, it is still cold outside, with a solid overcast keeping it from getting warmer. The overcast is expected to continue until Tuesday when we might see temps actually reach into the sixties again. Here in Central Florida we normally get a cold snap that starts one night, lasts the next day and night and then starts warming up. This is really something unusual for us.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

The bomb cyclone dumped 22.7" of snow on us. More than The Blizzard of '78!

I haven't left the house since Thursday...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im loving our forecast.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Freezing in the single digits to sweating in the 60s now

Enlarge Image
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

No highs below freezing for the next 10 days here. I'll take it.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Struggling for the next week... with the tourists :wink:

Enlarge Image
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

60 degrees today. WTF.

Opened the garage, which is somewhat insulated and thus was still much colder than the outside air, and it created fog.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We're getting back to our "warmer normal" with highs around 60 on New Year's Eve. Was in the 50s today.
JCC

Post by JCC »

So on X-mas Eve I went back to Greensboro to spend the night at my brother's house for Christmas. Prior to that I was talking to my ex about visiting her/my cats (we divided our cats when we split). She was without power and her house was around 50 degrees. In any event, while she was out of town and I was in town, I dropped in on her house on both Xmas Eve and Xmas day. The cats were fine despite it being about 49-50 degrees inside. On Christmas Day her power was restored but her heat pump wasn't working. In any event, after I was back home and she was back home, he repair guy suggested she get a couple indoor heaters to heat up the house - which would help her heat pump (which is of course outside) get running again. This apparently eventually worked.

So to summarize, because of a power outage during extreme cold, the device she has to heat her house didn't work. Once the power got back on, it still wouldn't work until she increased the temperature in her house, despite the fact the heat pump itself is outside. So, in order to get the device that warms up her house to work, she had to first warm up her house. WTF?! I am glad I practically never lose power in my house... and that I have gas heat...
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got up to 69f today.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Almost 60 here in Chicago. Wife said she wanted to take the kids downtown skating this weekend. I told her, "skate in what? A puddle?" The next 10 days the daily highs are expected to be above freezing.

At least the kids followed my suggestion a few days ago and went sledding when it was still below freezing. Most all of the snow we got last week is melted now, and my walk-in beer cooler, which was freezing things solid last week, is now malfunctioning the other way and not keeping the beer cold enough.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Heater died. Fortunately temp rather mild. Guy got out here fast and an easy fix.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got a house full of broken and half working heaters I keep limping along. When Im out of debt my plan it to toss every last one of them and replace them. Heaters are one product that is easy to see is part of use and toss items. No one repairs them now and they are cheap.
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Talk about a turn around. It's 71 out there!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Massive storm hitting CA with 100% chance of rain on Thursday, don't see that very often. Possibly 60" of snow in the mountains.

Is the drought over yet?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:34 pm Massive storm hitting CA with 100% chance of rain on Thursday, don't see that very often. Possibly 60" of snow in the mountains.

Is the drought over yet?
No, they need regular intermittent gentle rain that the ground can absorb. Flash floods just run off. Although a serious snowpack will certainly help.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:34 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:34 pm Massive storm hitting CA with 100% chance of rain on Thursday, don't see that very often. Possibly 60" of snow in the mountains.

Is the drought over yet?
No, they need regular intermittent gentle rain that the ground can absorb. Flash floods just run off. Although a serious snowpack will certainly help.
Good, it's been raining steadily for the last 2 weeks.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter