High On Life

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

naednek

High On Life

Post by naednek »

So this came out on Xbox Game Pass for PC. and the first 5 minutes was totally unexpected and had me laughing too much. This is definitely not a game for kids. Might need headphones too :D
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
baelthazar

Re: High On Life

Post by baelthazar »

Well, this is Justin Roiland, so it isn’t going to get any cleaner. Expect phallus aliens. The starter gun also sounds just like Morty, which really throws me in the trailers.
naednek

Post by naednek »

baelthazar wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:10 pm Well, this is Justin Roiland
I don't know who that is :P
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

naednek wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:11 pm
baelthazar wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:10 pm Well, this is Justin Roiland
I don't know who that is :P
Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image

I'm not going to claim to be socially plugged in, but sometimes I do think a few of you live under rocks. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:39 pm Enlarge Image

I'm not going to claim to be socially plugged in, but sometimes I do think a few of you live under rocks. :wink:
I've heard of Rick and Morty. Have never seen an episode
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:39 pm Enlarge Image

btw Smooth. I've been sick the last few days with nausea. This game didn't help...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I cleaned out my backlog (seriously, I guess it is possible) so I installed this to check it out (thanks, gamepass), wow this is... not... interesting to me. I see the humor, but it's just... uhhh... not very clever and the gameplay is... ummmm... fine.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:43 am I cleaned out my backlog (seriously, I guess it is possible) so I installed this to check it out (thanks, gamepass), wow this is... not... interesting to me. I see the humor, but it's just... uhhh... not very clever and the gameplay is... ummmm... fine.
I read that if you don't like Rick and Morty, then this game is CERTAINLY not for you. It basically leans hard on that humor to overcome bland and overdone FPS gameplay.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've never watched Rick and Morty so that wouldn't have been much help for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ok, I need to play this.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

baelthazar wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:32 pm bland and overdone FPS gameplay.
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:33 pm Ok, I need to play this.
I mean if that's your thing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Since the 90s.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Add me to the group who has never seen Rick & Morty (and don't have any particular driving interest to change that).

I may grab this off GamePass if I decide not to cancel my sub. I got three months free with my new gaming laptop, and have only played games from it once or twice. Probably not worth the $15/month, tbh.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It was mentioned three times in this thread, plus quoted once, and I only now learned that this was on Game Pass. :doh: :oops: :P

Anyway, I think I'll up for a month and give it a whirl.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I finally have some free time. The first thing that stands out is that this is a regression to the XBox 360 days of PC ports. The PC options are horrible. There is a huge amount of negative mouse acceleration, which is a feature designed for controllers that completely throws off PC aim (fix here.) The FOV is locked somewhere around 70, perfect for a couch, but horrible for a PC. It can be fixed with a (well-known, reliable) third party program, but doing so throws off the iron sights, and there is no crosshair for unaimed fire. There are no settings to disable some of the 'filmic' effects, like chromatic aberration, which makes the entire game look blurry and low-res (fix here, scroll down a few posts.) The gameplay is checkpoint based with no option for a manual save.

I don't know if it is a mediocre shooter like some people claim (I never got that far), but it is a very poor port. I think I'll hold off for a few patches and see if they fix it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ugh. Thanks for that info. Would explain why naednek was getting nauseous. 70 FOV is unplayable for me.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I've never seen Rick and Morty either but I downloaded this on Gamepass for the Series X. I'm about 2 hours in and so far I'm kind of enjoying it. It's a nice change of pace from almost every FPS that comes out these days. There is a TON of the F word, like a lot, more than you would think. So if that and sophomore humor bother you then stay away. BUT if you don't mind that it seems like an enjoyable game at 2 hours in. There are suit and weapon upgrades and a main world hub, so it's not just a corridor shooter.

Honestly this game is what I imagine Hepcat would make if he was a game director/producer. I'm not sure if that's a compliment for the game or not.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I have 3 bosses down and while the game is enjoyable, I do hope it's not that long. There's only so much of this type of humor that I can take and the game leans on it really heavy. The best way I can describe this game is that it's like Borderlands, but single player only and written by 8th grade boys.
FTE
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Recently discovered that the Gamepass Ultimate I have for the kids includes PC. Huh.

So I fired this up and it's OK. Like others, I don't watch Rick and Morty nor do I know anything about them.

I'm finding the alien-ness of the game interesting enough. The humor is hit or miss but isn't out of place in the weird universe.

Comparisons to Bordelands minus loot are apt, worried about how long it will contine to be interesting but sticking with it as long as it is.
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:47 pm It can be fixed with a (well-known, reliable) third party program, but doing so throws off the iron sights, and there is no crosshair for unaimed fire.
There are crosshairs once you get the HUD. The irons are too alien for me so I always use the crosshairs.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:48 am Recently discovered that the Gamepass Ultimate I have for the kids includes PC. Huh.

So I fired this up and it's OK. Like others, I don't watch Rick and Morty nor do I know anything about them.

I'm finding the alien-ness of the game interesting enough. The humor is hit or miss but isn't out of place in the weird universe.

Comparisons to Bordelands minus loot are apt, worried about how long it will contine it be interesting but sticking with it as long as it is.
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:47 pm It can be fixed with a (well-known, reliable) third party program, but doing so throws off the iron sights, and there is no crosshair for unaimed fire.
There are crosshairs once you get the HUD. The irons are too alien for me so I always is rhe crosshairs.
I finished the game. It's not very long, maybe 12 hours. By the time the credits rolled I was more than ready to finish it.
FTE