The Golden Age of the Streaming Wars is Over

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Alefroth

Re: The Golden Age of the Streaming Wars is Over

Post by Alefroth »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:49 pm
More importantly, setting up a NAS home media server provides reliable, quick, and effortless access to all of your media, safe in the knowledge that content stored on your server shall remain forever free and unadulterated.
Where do I get all this media?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For some folks, it's a way to rip all the hundreds of DVDs and blurays that old timers like me still had from decades of collecting such things while young whippersnappers like you were still trying to figure out which teletubbie you liked the most.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!
He won. Period.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I might need to rip my Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVDs, since any streaming service will only have the ruined remastered version.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

To this day every time I see this title thread I read it wrong.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:46 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:49 pm
More importantly, setting up a NAS home media server provides reliable, quick, and effortless access to all of your media, safe in the knowledge that content stored on your server shall remain forever free and unadulterated.
Where do I get all this media?
Most of us here are of sufficient age to own a physical media collection ripe for conversion to digital formats. Digital purchases, subscription services, yard sales, and thrift stores can be viable options, too. There is, of course, a vast digital ocean of illegitimacy you can explore, but to err is human, to arr is pirate. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:03 pm To this day every time I see this title thread I read it wrong.
Or right, depending on your proclivities. We don't kink shame here.

...except for JeffV. I don't care how he justifies it, I can't see a marmot willingly putting on a wonder woman outfit.
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:07 pm
Most of us here are of sufficient age to own a physical media collection ripe for conversion to digital formats.
I was about to mention how it's the only way I'd get to see Space: Above and Beyond again, but then I noticed that there's a (supposed) HD remaster that's fan made on youtube for all the world to view.

....god i loved that show.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I am just happy to have my Dogma DVD as the movie streaming rights are in limbo due to Harvey Weinstein buying the rights when the distributor got worried about the church’s reaction.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
JCC

Post by JCC »

I have had Plex premium for a while, though I now use Plex very little. All of the Blu-Ray movies I had ripped to it that I most cherished have been replaced with 4K digital versions. The main thing I still use it for is for rewatching classic Dr. Who and some other HD shows that aren't relatively available on other streaming services without ads. I also don't remember issues with naming, but for TV shows I did usually do something like DoctorWhoSXXeXX.<whatever>

I also used it some as a music server as well, but I now just roll with Spotify. There are a few obscure things missing there but not that much. It was more than cathartic to sell my nearly 2000 music CDs a few years ago.

I am pissed that when I use Plex now I have to scroll past all their VOD stuff when all I really want is just my library.
Last edited by JCC on Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

JCC wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:32 am
I am pissed that when I use Plex now I have to scroll past all their VOD stuff when all I really want is just my library.
I think you can remove that by "unpinning" the Movies and TV Shows on Plex menu item.

edit: even better, follow this guide to completely disable it.
Spoiler:
He won. Period.
JCC

Post by JCC »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:05 am edit: even better, follow this guide to completely disable it.
Spoiler:
Thanks so much! Worked fine!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Excellent!
He won. Period.