2023 Republican House Follies

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: 2023 Republican House Follies

Post by Carpet_pissr »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:18 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:52 pm Did the resident nutjobs blame the eclipse on Biden? Or the Jews? Or both?
bridges falling down on their own thanks to union labour illegal immigrants (yes, they were blamed),
FTFY
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

One, if one was insane or politically motivated, might argue that illegal immigrants and union labor are one and the same. Just ask your nearest Republican member of congress.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wonder who is telling him not to pass the aid package? Did he meet with anyone recently?
House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., on Sunday did not indicate that he would put the Senate-passed supplemental package on foreign aid on the floor this week, despite mounting pressure from Democrats and some GOP lawmakers to do so after Iran’s retaliatory strike against Israel.

During an interview on Fox News’ “Sunday Morning Futures,” Johnson noted that House members were pulling together details for a new package.

“We’re going to try again this week, and the details of that package are being put together right now,” he said. “We’re looking at the options and all these supplemental issues.”
Absolutely insane what is happening right now. Insane.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
waitingtoconnect

Jd Vance saying we should only support Israel and stop support to Ukraine.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Putin has a heavy thumb on the GOP's president-in-exile because TFG wants to be him. I don't buy the blackmail angle because trump has no shame about anything.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:24 am Putin has a heavy thumb on the GOP's president-in-exile because TFG wants to be him. I don't buy the blackmail angle because trump has no shame about anything.
He does seem to harbor some shame around exposing his true finances.
waitingtoconnect

Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:24 am Putin has a heavy thumb on the GOP's president-in-exile because TFG wants to be him. I don't buy the blackmail angle because trump has no shame about anything.
I think to Putins delight there is no need for blackmail. There is an alliance of super rich fascists who are trading notes on how to take over their respective countries from India to Hungary to the UK to France to us.

Don’t forget who doubled their wealth in the trump years and since the billionaires. That’s who the GoP are ruling for. As my dad used to say trickle down economics will only last until they find all the leaks.

I say it’s more like gush up economics now.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:06 pm
I think to Putins delight there is no need for blackmail. There is an alliance of super rich fascists who are trading notes on how to take over their respective countries from India to Hungary to the UK to France to us.

Don’t forget who doubled their wealth in the trump years and since the billionaires. That’s who the GoP are ruling for. As my dad used to say trickle down economics will only last until they find all the leaks.

I say it’s more like gush up economics now.
They are mobilizing specifically because Bidenomics has overturned 40 years of supply side econ. It's the most important achievement of his presidency, so of course it must be snuffed out. The benefits from investing in the middle and lower classes are just starting to bloom. If he gets 4 more years it will be too entrenched to easily reverse.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:06 pm I say it’s more like gush up economics now.
Why do you say that?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Alefroth wrote:
waitingtoconnect wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:06 pm I say it’s more like gush up economics now.
Why do you say that?
GOP being a wholly owned subsidiary of the 1% maybe?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Part of the Trump Tax Cuts phase out in 2026 because they were too expensive even for Republicans. There's a reason Trump was reminding donors about those "wonderful tax cuts" during his administration. In addition to pitching evangelical culture warriors, Trump retains Republican support only because he's promising to dismantle the U.S. government bureaucracy and deliver tax cuts to get elected.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:26 pm
Alefroth wrote:
Why do you say that?
GOP being a wholly owned subsidiary of the 1% maybe?
Ah, I see now. Wealth extraction.
waitingtoconnect

Alefroth wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:24 pm
Why do you say that?
From 2001 to 2016, middle-class families saw their median net worth shrink by 20 percent and working-class families lost 45 percent. Even after multiple economic expansions, the total net worth of the bottom 50 percent of Americans is 20 percent less than it was in 1990.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Magic the Gathering and Pedo Geatz look more and more like Florida Russian assets.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... publicans/
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) has been threatening to introduce a measure intended to oust Johnson from the speakership — known as a motion to vacate — if he puts Ukraine aid on the floor.

Greene labeled Johnson’s plan a “scam” and is “firmly” against it, but hasn’t said yet whether she will move to try to depose him.

“I support the majority and I want it next time. So I’m being careful,” she said. “He’s definitely not going to be Speaker next Congress if we’re lucky enough to have the majority.”
No puppet. You're the puppet.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIDWAY upon the journey of our life, I found myself within a dark forest, For the straightforward pathway had been lost. - Dante Alighieri
waitingtoconnect

I can hear trump now. “The rinos and far left democrats led by the criminal Joe Biden have destroyed our great house. A great house that was only last filled with patriots on January 6. Patriots who have since become political prisoners. Very sad. Buy my new bible and pray for our country people… “

I wonder if they’ll elect trump speaker to try and get him out of his court cases.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Dogstar wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:35 am Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure, along with his (and "X" other Republicans) votes for Hakeem Jeffries? ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I also see the words "space laser technology" in that view of her amendment.

I have to wonder if MTG goes home and just laughs about everything she does and how stupid her voters are, or if she goes home and seriously stews over her own fears of space lasers.

After writing that sentence, I have to admit to myself that I probably don't take space laser technology seriously enough.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Did Jewish Space Lasers help mitigate against the attack from Iran?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Don't laugh. MTG was on to something.

He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Silent and deadly:
Conservatives in the House Freedom Caucus are signing up to take shifts to monitor the chamber floor in order to prevent their own party leaders from making unilateral moves that could curb their power.

The Freedom Caucus’ Floor Action Response Team, shorthanded as “FART,” aims to guard against an unannounced request to pass resolutions that would stealthily limit their leverage against leadership, according to two Republicans with direct knowledge, who were granted anonymity to speak candidly.

While one of the Republicans said the group largely doesn’t expect major developments, members also don’t want to be caught flat-footed if a GOP colleague tried to seek unanimous consent or a voice vote for a resolution that would change the House’s structure. Two potential examples of threats the Freedom Caucus perceives: the removal of its members from the Rules Committee or changes to agreements made at the beginning of this Congress with former Speaker Kevin McCarthy.
Maybe next year, maybe no go