2023 Republican House Follies

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: 2023 Republican House Follies

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:38 pm It may have been posted here, but I recently saw that that particular part about the "ongoing investigations" is directly related to the arsonists who are under scrutiny for their Jan 6 actions ("tours", access, communications, etc). No fun to be a chaos monkey sitting in federal pen!

I would not be surprised if that was THE Big Thing they were holding out for. They absolutely want to throw grenades at the govt, but absolutely do not want to go to jail for chunking said grenades at the govt. Now they won't have to worry about that.
Yep - I likened it to replacing the 1/6 committee with an insurrection committee. Yet to see how bad it'll actually be but the line between reforming and breaking something often is a hairsbreadth of intent.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That limp brain from here local is still in DC jail begging for a ankle band lol. Hope the un American rots.

oops wrong thread.
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Just watched Jeffries' speech. Astonishing alliterative alphabet.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:56 pm My assumption (based on zero facts or anything - just my gut) is that they'll let this go on for a while, maybe until Monday. Then the rebels will collect their various concessions, declare victory by virtue of those concessions and because they let everyone know that they're a force to be reckoned with, and then they'll vote for McCarthy.
Oops! I accidentally quoted myself. How embarrassing, especially since they didn't even let it get to Monday.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Latest preview for the Fall 2023 season was just revealed:
House Republicans are vowing to put Don Quixote to shame by tilting at a huge windmill: slashing federal spending by at least $130 billion without cutting defense.

In addition to Republicans’ pledge to slice $130 billion from the $1.7 trillion government funding package that passed in December, conservatives want to take the process old-school. Rather than passing one massive bill, they’re calling for individual votes on the dozen appropriations bills that set annual budgets for different agencies, a more time-consuming but transparent procedure that recent Congresses have struggled to complete.

They’re also planning to allow an amendment free-for-all, which is all but certain to further drag out or trip things up.

Additionally, House Republicans say they’ll refuse to negotiate with the Senate until the upper chamber passes its own spending bills, which hasn’t happened in years. Typically, Senate appropriators have instead entered into bipartisan talks with their House counterparts, only burning valuable floor time on a package they’re certain would pass both chambers.
Also:
And GOP demands expand beyond funding the government. Republicans say they won’t back a debt limit increase unless they get their way on spending cuts or measures to reign in the ever-increasing $31 trillion debt. The timing of that could be tricky, however, as the Treasury Department could hit its credit card limit this summer, while federal cash expires on Sept. 30.

A debt ceiling hike will arguably make for a much bigger battle in Congress, leaving even less time and patience for bipartisan talks on funding the government.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's like the Republicans want to give us a reminder about why the budget process is the way it is now. They have their young radicals complaining about the process their legislative ancestors caused. It's magical.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Did someone say Debt Ceiling?

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/13/us-will ... gress.html

I thought we weren't going to have to worry about this until September. Shows what I know.
Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Friday notified Congress that the U.S. will reach its statutory debt limit next Thursday and that the Treasury Department will begin “taking certain extraordinary measures to prevent the United States from defaulting on its obligations.”

Yellen wrote House Speakers Kevin McCarthy that while the Treasury Department “is not currently able” to estimate how long those emergency actions will allow the U.S. to pay for government obligations, “It is unlikely that cash and extraordinary measures will be exhausted before early June.”

“I respectfully urge Congress to act promptly to protect the full faith and credit of the United States,” Yellen wrote.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is related to the budgeting through the end of the federal calendar year which ends in September so there will be a budget fracas that may culminate then.

The debt ceiling was something they probably should have tackled with that spending bill. Instead the last Congress decided to dress up a hostage and hand them over to radicals with increasingly shaky trigger fingers as one of their first orders of business. In any case, we might get our first trillion dollar coin minted this year.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

How does minting a coin alter how much you can spend?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:49 pm How does minting a coin alter how much you can spend?
Sell it to a crypto-investor as the world's most valuable NFT? I assume it's just a way increase the debt ceiling by increasing the amount of money in circulation.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:49 pm How does minting a coin alter how much you can spend?
There is an argument that the debt ceiling is illegal in the first place since the budget authorized the spend in the first place. However in practice as we know it now, the government issues debt offerings authorized up to the debt ceiling. This is an accounting workaround.

The accounting on the coin is beyond me but at a high level the idea would be that the Treasury would mint a trillion dollar coin and deposit it which would reduce the balance of the General fund and reduce the need to borrow. The Fed would be effectively buying the trillion dollar coin at face value which would be akin to the quantitative easing regime that the Fed ended last year.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

An explanation. In relevant part:
If the Treasury secretary has the power to mint platinum coins of any denomination, then he or she could (1) mint a $1 trillion platinum coin and then (2) take it to the Federal Reserve and use it to repurchase $1 trillion in Fed-held U.S. Treasury debt. Just like that, the U.S. debt level would be brought well below the statutory ceiling, and the government could carry on paying interest on its debt while meeting all its statutory spending obligations.

Notably, such an action would not be inflationary “money printing.” The supply of money circulating in the real economy would not change. One branch of the government would simply deposit a coin in the account of another branch of government, thereby erasing $1 trillion from the national debt. Nothing would change except accounting figures that Congress has fetishized. This is part of what makes the “mint the coin” option so appealing to critics of Beltway deficit politics in general, and proponents of Modern Monetary Theory in particular: It helps expose the absurdity of fixating on national-debt totals that are already influenced by factors nearly as arbitrary as the platinum-coin gambit, while spotlighting our government’s absolute sovereignty over money creation.
Basically the debt ceiling is not a limit on government spending, nor on debt. Rather, it's a limit on how much debt can be held by the Federal Reserve. So one part of the government (the Treasury) uses the new coin to buy debt from another branch of the government (the Fed) thereby allowing the Fed to hold more debt without breaching the statutory debt ceiling.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Douglas Adams wrote:This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Well I certainly didn't have - smoking allowed in Congressional offices - on my bingo card.
There’s a lot of history repeating itself in Congress this year — the House is in GOP hands, Democrats control the White House and Senate and there’s an inescapable stench of tobacco smoke in the Capitol’s hallways.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Of course. I'm fully expecting there to be a push to bring indoor smoking back to public places, because why the f not at this point?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

First they’ll bring back smoking in bars, then restaurants and finally planes. Then it’s just a hop, skip and a jump to their ultimate goal….

…letting toddlers drink alcohol.

I don’t wanna go back to a time when a drunken 5 year old on a tricycle can run me down in a fit of road rage simply because I told them to get off their walkie talkie while driving.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Unclick-It or Ticket
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:13 pm Of course. I'm fully expecting there to be a push to bring indoor smoking back to public places, because why the f not at this point?
Today's modern GOP: "FREEDOM MEANS I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT WITH NO RESTRICTIONS WHATSOEVER", unhindered by any of the actual social or societal responsibility or concern for the well-being of others that makes free societies actually function.

So...toddlers, basically.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:13 pm Of course. I'm fully expecting there to be a push to bring indoor smoking back to public places, because why the f not at this point?
Ding ding!
On his Friday night show, Fox News personality Tucker Carlson was elated when Rep Troy Nehls of Texas appeared to light up a cigar live on his show.

Mr Carlson was defending the right of members of the House of Representatives to smoke inside their congressional offices, something they are now allowed to do since Republicans regained a thin majority in the lower chamber of Congress and lifted a ban.

Contrasting smoking tobacco with the use of marijuana and crack, Mr Carlson wondered why tobacco is considered so dangerous when, in his view, the government does not feel the same way about other controlled substances.

What really bothers me, though, is the continued special privilege they receive. It's a federal building, they don't get to make their own rules. Do USPS workers get to vote on whether to allow smoking in a sorting center?

Do restaurant staff get to vote on whether smoking is allowed in their place of work?

But of course Congress gets to vote on whether they can smoke in their offices. They have all that work to do on setting their own salaries, you know, just like everyone else does.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Someone has to make the rules and that includes rules for themselves. The problem in my estimation is that the American people have either given up on supervising this trash or just think that it's impossible (which may be true) and instead think that they'll abuse their power for their side's benefit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I ask genuinely, are members of the House GOP on something?
New Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy has proposed a vote on a proposal called the Fair Tax, which would abolish the current federal income tax and replace it with a 30% national sales tax. Payroll taxes, which finance Social Security and Medicare, would also get axed.The IRS would go. States would collect the sales levy and remit proceeds to Washington.

Unfortunately, as this segment of What’s Ahead discusses, the Fair Tax has serious problems. Right out of the gate, the big one is political. How, particularly in these inflationary times, are voters going to react to paying a 30% sales tax on what they buy? A typical new house would cost an additional $125,000, not to mention the thousands of extra dollars people would pay for food, fuel, electricity and countless other items.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Outside of the other insane thoughts in your quote - someone thinks a new house typically costs $415,000?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

They like this plan because the people that spend 100% of their income and don't pay taxes because you know they are poor aren't paying anything. Nevermind that they will now not have enough to get by at all. I saw this a couple of weeks ago and was just amazed that they were even considering bringing it up for vote let alone doing it.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Outside of the other insane thoughts in your quote - someone thinks a new house typically costs $415,000?
Well, it was written by NJ mogul Steve Forbes, so...
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

stessier wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:19 pm Outside of the other insane thoughts in your quote - someone thinks a new house typically costs $415,000?
You think that's high or low? In Jersey that certainly sounds right. + add around 11,000 in property taxes a year on top of that. :o
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Octavious wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:21 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:19 pm Outside of the other insane thoughts in your quote - someone thinks a new house typically costs $415,000?
You think that's high or low?
Curious about that as well. $415K would be pretty low here. Median home price in Salt Lake County is around $526K.

Glad I bought my house 18 years ago. I could never afford to live here if I was moving now.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

BAM
After plateauing between 2017 and 2019, house prices in the United States saw a dramatic increase in 2021 and 2022. The average sales price of a new home in 2020 was 391,900 U.S. dollars and in 2022, it reached 543,600 U.S. dollars.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:31 pm
Octavious wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:21 pm
You think that's high or low?
Curious about that as well. $415K would be pretty low here. Median home price in Salt Lake County is around $526K.

Glad I bought my house 18 years ago. I could never afford to live here if I was moving now.
Depends on the area of Jersey. In the rural areas 300,000-400,000 will get you a 2-3 bedroom house. In the nicer areas it's much higher. I looked and I saw a 3 bedroom townhouse for 399,999. It actually looks like the prices have gone up even higher here. I thought it was calming down?

malchior

Post by malchior »

I talked about it once here a long time ago but new home builders are almost always targeting the high end of the market intentionally where they can squeeze out the most margin. Helping them drive margins up is land use bullshit (aka NIMBY) and economic factors. They also took full advantage of inflation opportunity to seize even more profit for themselves. In the end this is the outcome of a set of policy choices.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:16 pm I ask genuinely, are members of the House GOP on something?
New Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy has proposed a vote on a proposal called the Fair Tax, which would abolish the current federal income tax and replace it with a 30% national sales tax. Payroll taxes, which finance Social Security and Medicare, would also get axed.The IRS would go. States would collect the sales levy and remit proceeds to Washington.

Unfortunately, as this segment of What’s Ahead discusses, the Fair Tax has serious problems. Right out of the gate, the big one is political. How, particularly in these inflationary times, are voters going to react to paying a 30% sales tax on what they buy? A typical new house would cost an additional $125,000, not to mention the thousands of extra dollars people would pay for food, fuel, electricity and countless other items.
The Fair Tax has been kicking around for decades - I even have the Neal Boortz/John Linder Fair Tax book. But this is the first time that it's actually coming to the floor for a vote instead of just dying in committee, as it's been reintroduced by some Georgia Republican or another every Congress since Linder came up with the idea.
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

You can still buy a small fixer-upper for that. That's about what a realtor told us our house is worth in its current condition.

The Fair Tax, obviously, is super regressive. That's why Republicans like it. 40% of US households don't pay any federal income tax. Soak the poor!
stessier

Post by stessier »

$415k is a ton of house in a large swatch of South Carolina.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

This is what almost 300,000 will get you in my neck of the woods. And this is the cheaper area. :shock: Smoove don't click the link. You will die.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/22-W ... 9495_zpid/

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:11 pm $415k is a ton of house in a large swatch of South Carolina.
...and a small room without indoor plumbing in NYC.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stessier wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:11 pm $415k is a ton of house in a large swatch of South Carolina.
Not where the bulk of population is: Charleston, Columbia, Greenville.

Even the SC side Charlotte ex-urbs now: Fort Mill avg home price is $615K (!).
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:50 pm
Not where the bulk of population is: Charleston, Columbia, Greenville.

Even the SC side Charlotte ex-urbs now: Fort Mill avg home price is $615K (!).
It also depends whether it is retirement vs. non-retirement. That whole area from Fort Mill across to Indian Land (ugh - I really hate typing that town name in) and back up to Ballantyne is really expanding and the prices are...up there but you can usually find something reasonable-ish in the retirement communities which is a little more dense.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:16 pm I ask genuinely, are members of the House GOP on something?

Because making everything cost 30% more and getting rid of all of the taxes I paid for my entire life the year I retire is the most government things that could happen, I fully expect this to go through... and for the all of the masses of GOP retirees to blame it on the Demotcrats.

Fortunately, the senate will kill it.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The Republicans couldn't pass a 24% Fair Tax at the height of their power under Palin and Bachman in 2010.

Their argument is to increase prices by 30% -- increasing inflation by 10 times. Increasing the price of oil by ten times. Increasing the price of groceries. A 30% tax on the economy.

Arguing for a tax increase on consumers is stupid and madness, but it's what the GOP extremists want -- protect the savings of the wealthy and disproportionately tax the poor. The Democrats need to use it to strangle the Republican House.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon