Biden document scandal

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

waitingtoconnect

Biden document scandal

Post by waitingtoconnect »

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/01/09/poli ... index.html

The worst part of this is that they hid it until after the mid terms , while railing on the ex president while they knew about it.

A pox on both their houses I say. If ever there was benefit to a meaningful third party this was it. It can’t be illegal for one and not illegal for the other.

Certainly charges should be rolled out to Trump and Biden if Biden is also found to be negligent. If I did this I’d be in jail- even if it was careless and a mistake.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Biden document scandal

Post by $iljanus »

The key difference is that Biden’s lawyers reported the documents and as far as we know are not obstructing any inquiries. If Trump gave an accurate accounting and turned over all the documents in question he wouldn’t be in possible criminal jeopardy since his non cooperation moves into the territory of possible obstruction which is criminal.

Here’s an excerpt from a NYT article that highlights the differences:
But while Mr. Trump tried to suggest a parallel, the circumstances of the Biden discovery as described appeared to be significantly different. Mr. Biden had neither been notified that he had official records nor been asked to return them, the White House said, and his team promptly revealed the discovery to the archives and returned them within a day.

“The documents were not the subject of any previous request or inquiry by the archives,” Richard A. Sauber, a special White House counsel, wrote in the statement. “Since that discovery, the president’s personal attorneys have cooperated with the archives and the Department of Justice in a process to ensure that any Obama-Biden administration documents are appropriately in the possession of the archives.”

By contrast, in 2021 the archives repeatedly asked Mr. Trump to turn over large numbers of documents it had determined were missing. He put the agency off for months, then allowed it to retrieve 15 boxes of material in early 2022, including scores of classified documents, but it was later discovered that he kept more.

Eventually, the Justice Department obtained a grand jury subpoena for documents with classification markings remaining in Mr. Trump’s possession, and a lawyer for Mr. Trump turned over several more and told the department there were none left. But an August search by the F.B.I. found 103 more marked as classified — along with thousands of other official records.

The search warrant affidavit that the Justice Department submitted suggested that Mr. Trump was under investigation for obstruction, along with possible violations of the Espionage Act, which criminalizes the willful unauthorized retention of national security documents and failure “to deliver them on demand” to a government official entitled to take custody of them.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/09/us/p ... ments.html

Nuances aside, Biden is certainly in for a political shitstorm.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Aaaaaand there's your first Articles of Impeachment.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
waitingtoconnect

Personally I do not think the democrats lesser of two evils play that they keep pulling is good for democracy long term.

We would expect the republicans as they currently are to prosecute Biden furiously while calling politics on trumps potential prosecution for the far more considerable offences he may have committed.

But the reality is both should be investigated and if necessary prosecuted. If I took confidential documents (let alone top secret ones) home or used my own private email server I’d be prosecuted. I’d likely be in jail or home detention unable to work while awaiting trial. It is a mockery of justice that these powerful men get away with this all the time.

Reform is clearly needed in governance in the US. The risks need to be plugged respecting the constitution but no longer using it as an excuse not to act.

One day the republicans will put up a Reagan like figure who everyone will adore and won’t polarise like Trump. Then everyone will applaud the democrats into the gulag.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:39 am for the far more considerable offences he may have committed.
“May”??
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Reagan pretty much setup the decline of the middle class. So ya hoping for the second coming doesn't seem ideal. Profits up! Unions down! Salaries stagnant forever woooo. I seriously don't get why a non rich person would be Republican. Same asshats that hump companies that want people to get back into the office and work because God forbid there was something that made life a bit better. Tighten up those bootstraps and stop being lazy!

As for Biden. Seriously dude why? Why can you not stay out of your own way? You can add document investigation to the list of things the house will dutifully check out.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Octavious wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:26 am I seriously don't get why a non rich person would be Republican.
This. I get the concept of why they would be. Deter moral decay. Fiscal responsibility at all levels. No police state. Then we look at the practice.
Why can you not stay out of your own way?
Again, this. He's not, from any evidence I've seen, malicious but boy does he step in it.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Fiscal responsibility unless it's cutting taxes for the rich and the unlimited funds for missiles. We're closing in on 900 billion a year on military spending and they still pretend it's not enough. Seriously fuck off.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:39 am
But the reality is both should be investigated and if necessary prosecuted. If I took confidential documents (let alone top secret ones) home or used my own private email server I’d be prosecuted. I’d likely be in jail or home detention unable to work while awaiting trial. It is a mockery of justice that these powerful men get away with this all the time.
Indeed; what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Circumstances should matter; Biden's docs were under lock and key and were promptly surrendered when discovered, whereas TFG was probably shopping his around. But Biden did suppress the news until after the midterms, so that's not a good look. And we don't know the quantity or nature of the docs that Biden had. An investigation is appropriate, and will hopefully find that it was an oversight that was quickly remedied.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:59 pmBut Biden did suppress the news until after the midterms, so that's not a good look.
Sure but ultimately the right thing to do.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

At least the GOP will have to admit mishandling classified documents is bad. Hahaha...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's not a good look - but it isn't going to harm his career.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

waitingtoconnect wrote:One day the republicans will put up a Reagan like figure who everyone will adore and won’t polarise like Trump. Then everyone will applaud the democrats into the gulag.
Everyone adored Reagan?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Octavious wrote:Fiscal responsibility unless it's cutting taxes for the rich and the unlimited funds for missiles. We're closing in on 900 billion a year on military spending and they still pretend it's not enough. Seriously fuck off.
Hey, some of us exist on getting a taste of that $900B. Keep your grubby hands off it. :)
Make up bags of change
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:43 pm
waitingtoconnect wrote:One day the republicans will put up a Reagan like figure who everyone will adore and won’t polarise like Trump. Then everyone will applaud the democrats into the gulag.
Everyone adored Reagan?
I hated the bastard when he was governor of CA.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:44 pm
Octavious wrote:Fiscal responsibility unless it's cutting taxes for the rich and the unlimited funds for missiles. We're closing in on 900 billion a year on military spending and they still pretend it's not enough. Seriously fuck off.
Hey, some of us exist on getting a taste of that $900B. Keep your grubby hands off it. :)
You punks are the reason I get "What is that explosion?" messages on FB once a month. :P

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:12 pm It's not a good look - but it isn't going to harm his career.
No, but Whataboutism will help TFG. "Everybody does it" was one of his lines.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:10 pm At least the GOP will have to admit mishandling classified documents is bad. Hahaha...
In a rational world, this would be the end of it--if what Biden did is worthy of any sort of action, then what Trump did is clearly worthy of disqualification from any elected office ever again.

But we live in this world, so it'll be impeach-Biden-but-restore-Trump over this, somehow.

I say all this while believing
Kraken wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:59 pmAn investigation is appropriate, and will hopefully find that it was an oversight that was quickly remedied.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And the Repugnicans will rush it through then gin up a second offense so they can claim Florida Man was not the only president to be impeached twice.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:16 am It can’t be illegal for one and not illegal for the other.
Trump has been getting away with illegal shit for years and NOW you're upset? :shock:
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So....I guess a President really can't just declassify things with their mind?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
waitingtoconnect

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:23 pm
Alefroth wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:10 pm At least the GOP will have to admit mishandling classified documents is bad. Hahaha...
In a rational world, this would be the end of it--if what Biden did is worthy of any sort of action, then what Trump did is clearly worthy of disqualification from any elected office ever again.

But we live in this world, so it'll be impeach-Biden-but-restore-Trump over this, somehow.

I say all this while believing
Kraken wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:59 pmAn investigation is appropriate, and will hopefully find that it was an oversight that was quickly remedied.
Republican political strategy in a nutshell:

Works every time.

For balance this is the Democrats:
waitingtoconnect

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:44 pm
waitingtoconnect wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:16 am It can’t be illegal for one and not illegal for the other.
Trump has been getting away with illegal shit for years and NOW you're upset? :shock:
No how he’s managed to Teflon his way out of every insane act and use it for marketing and fund raising is appalling. He needs to be stopped but in order to do so the democrats can’t just be Republican-lite.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

“Lite” being the key word.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Innocent mistake...or clumsy FSB operation :think: :ninja:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

How many copies of The Sims were found?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Octavious wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:26 am I seriously don't get why a non rich person would be Republican.
Guns, fuck yeah!
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Octavious wrote:You punks are the reason I get "What is that explosion?" messages on FB once a month. :P
99% of the time that’s Tilcon, not us. :)
Make up bags of change
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:58 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:44 pm
No how he’s managed to Teflon his way out of every insane act and use it for marketing and fund raising is appalling. He needs to be stopped but in order to do so the democrats can’t just be Republican-lite.
Agreed. Both sides need to meet the same standards and deserve to be investigated when they don't. That doesn't mean that Biden's alleged negligence = TFG's deliberate theft...but if Biden DID secretly steal classified docs, we need to know about it. Our guy doesn't get a pass because he's our guy.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:14 pm How many copies of The Sims were found?
I'm here to help those in need!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Foot, meet bullet.
Aides to President Joe Biden have discovered at least one additional batch of classified documents in a location separate from the Washington office he used after leaving the Obama administration, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Since November, after the discovery of documents with classified markings in his former office, Biden aides have been searching for any additional classified materials that might be in other locations he used, said the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to provide details about the ongoing inquiry.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I wonder if Garland is "relieved" by this turn of events. He probably did not want to prosecute Trump and now has an off-ramp that'll be politically acceptable. Sorry I mean he is above the politics but he needs to balance prosecutorial interests. Yeah that's the ticket.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's all 4D chess by the Democrats to get the GOP to admit that it's wrong when Presidents are found to have top secret paperwork in their personal possession. After they admit it, there's just no way they can deny what TFG did was worse. It can't fail!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wonder how often this has happened in the past? Presidents/VPs who reviews thousands of documents forget to turn a particular batch over, then discover it a few years later (or are informed) and send them back where they belong? I can't imagine that it is all that uncommon, and was likely just business as usual. At least before Trump took it to absurd extremes, and his supporters want something to (somehow) simultaneously exonerate Trump and attack Biden by equating them.

"It doesn't matter that I burned down a town on purpose - my opponent burned down a bird house by accident! They're the same thing!"
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah these are very different incidents and the details matters. Biden's folks have apparently played it the right way. There are concerns obviously. This happened 6 days before the mid-terms and I just saw an interesting panel discussion on tv where someone noted it was odd that lawyers were searching the offices in the first place. Maybe out of an abundance of caution but it has enough there to make it inconvenient to say the least.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Surprise surprise.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/24/politics ... ments-fbi/

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:21 pm Surprise surprise.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/24/politics ... ments-fbi/
:lol: :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

This is why you have an orderly transition of power run by competent bureaucrats (Deep State).
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

I can't wait to hear that Jimmy Carter has been rolling his joints in classified docs for 40 years.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:33 pm I can't wait to hear that Jimmy Carter has been rolling his joints in classified docs for 40 years.
You People Made Me Give Up My Peanut Farm Before I Got To Be President.
Black Lives Matter.