IDK but it looks awful
No votes
IDK but it looks delicious
9%

Total votes: 54

Kraken

[Food] What do you call this?

Post by Kraken »

My Midwestern mom, of Dutch heritage, called it slumgullion. Wife's mom, of Polish heritage, called it goulash. Here in New England, I see it sold as American Chop Suey. I'm curious whether the naming differences are regional or ethnic or both.

With minor variations it consists of a pasta (usually elbow macaroni), ground beef, diced onions, and a tomato sauce. Some add cheese, peppers, mushrooms, garlic, various spices, etc.
Last edited by Kraken on Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Re: What do you call this?

Post by Jaymann »

There is a specific name that I can't quite remember. Hopefully someone else will come up with it.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Casserole?

In Minnesota the folks called things that looked like casserole "hot dish," which I always found cute. (Then they tried serving me seafood with lye as an ingredient, so I stopped telling them I called their food names cute.)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
disarm

Post by disarm »

Growing up in Indiana, most people I knew called it either 'chili mac' or goulash. Either way, I've always thought it was delicious.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Goulash to me is just a meat dish, without pasta, although variations with pasta or potatoes are pretty popular.

In Russian, we call it "macaroni navy-style".
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

disarm wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:08 pmchili mac
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My mom fixed something similar and she called it Goulash.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In elementary school the lunch was listed as goulash. Depending on how the meat was prepared as an adult, I'd call it chilimac or it would conjure elementary school memories and it would be called goulash.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

That looks like, and ingredient-wise close enough to what my family would basically call:

Chili-Mac
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

That would be pasta and ground beef. (Often made with boxed mac 'n' cheese.) Also known as weekday dinner for the poor-to-middle-class.

Definitely not goulash. Calling it goulash is offensive. But I understand it's a regional thing and I will not judge. Too harshly.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Brian

Post by Brian »

Chili Mac

Alternative: ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning, add Kraft Mexican cheese mix and you get Taco Mac.

Alternative #2: Substitute Kielbasa sautéed in cooking sherry for the ground beef and use a mild cheddar sauce for the pasta then douse the entire thing in habanero/mango sauce and you get an affront to several cultures that's bomb ass delicious.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Interesting. To me, chili mac includes kidney beans and sometimes cheese.

Cursory research tells me that "slumgullion" is of Irish derivation and "goulash" is Eastern European, but "Hungarian goulash" is something different.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I dunno, I'd call it dinner.

Also, chili doesn't have beans. Bean soup with chili seasonings probably has beans though. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

Sudy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:36 pm That would be pasta and ground beef. (Often made with boxed mac 'n' cheese.) Also known as weekday dinner for the poor-to-middle-class.

Definitely not goulash. Calling it goulash is offensive. But I understand it's a regional thing and I will not judge. Too harshly.
Concur on not goulash.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Chili may or may not include beans, but beans should never be mixed with pasta IMO. Generally, mixing carbs with carbs is disgusting. Potato tacos and spaghetti sandwiches, I'm looking at you. The same as when my folks served beamed chili over baked potatoes. People who put fries on your sandwiches, you're sick and need help. :wub:

Edit: I make an exception for refried beans in burritos.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
mori

Post by mori »

Speaking as a Polish Minnesotan that would be goulash. But it would not have elbow pasta but more of a linguini or flat type pasta, basically a stroganoff. But it will have heavy doses of Hungarian Paprika with a root vegetable mixed in.

Edit: the use of elbow pasta automatically makes it a 'mac something.
Last edited by mori on Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:36 pm Cursory research tells me that "slumgullion" is of Irish derivation and "goulash" is Eastern European, but "Hungarian goulash" is something different.
I've only run into the word slumgullion a few times and it's always referred to clam chowder with bay shrimp and cheese on it. The wife claims that's a central Oregon coast thing which is the only place I've ever encountered it.

The monstrosity in the OP is chili mac or maybe Hamburger Helper.
Last edited by Exodor on Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I asked my mother what the macaroni and ground beef dish is called and she didn't really have a name for it either. Mac & cheese hamburger casserole, generically. But I don't think it was usually baked, so it wouldn't technically be a casserole. Just fry the beef and cook the pasta. It was a frequent weekday dinner that sometimes had additional ingredients and a side vegetable. We often also had it on Hallowe'en owing to the colours. My favourite was a variation with white mac & cheese and peas. Really, I think we're just talking about generic cheap-ass food in my family's case.

But she reminded me there was something my grandmother fed her growing up that my mother also made sometimes when I was young. "Jocelyn's Surprise." I can find no mention of this after a brief googling. Sounds like the re-naming of a generic dish from a 50s or 60s cookbook. Anyway, it's basically noodles, beef, cheddar cheese (or cheese sauce), corn, and diced tomato or tomato soup. Seasoned with onion, parsley, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and curry powder apparently. I actually like the addition of corn in this recipe.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Chili mac.

In the Army mess it was also called chili mac and served way too frequently.
Last edited by Alefroth on Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Chili Mac
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Sudy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:23 pm Chili may or may not include beans, but beans should never be mixed with pasta IMO. Generally, mixing carbs with carbs is disgusting. Potato tacos and spaghetti sandwiches, I'm looking at you. The same as when my folks served beamed chili over baked potatoes. People who put fries on your sandwiches, you're sick and need help. :wub:

Edit: I make an exception for refried beans in burritos.
You consider beans carbs? They've always bean protein to me.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

They occupy the place of a starchy thing. They're protein but also carbs. E.g. potatoes and corn are vegetables, but they're also carbs, etc.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And yet there is bean dip (eaten with pure carb chips), chili cheese fries, etc.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

And pasta fazool. Hummus and pita. Rice and beans.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My wife makes a variation of it we’ve always called “Ma’ ca’ la’ ca.” I assume the Ma stands for macaroni and the Ca stands for casserole. No clue what the other two syllables stand for.

We got the name from a handwritten recipe card that her mom passed down to her. Her mom doesn’t know where the name came from either as she got it from her mom.

At any rate, it’s delicious. She always spices it up with a ton of hot sauce.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BOOM, Macalaca!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:23 pm Chili may or may not include beans, but beans should never be mixed with pasta IMO.
Before this thread I thought I had invented chili mac, because long ago, as a starving college student, I hit on the idea of adding pasta to extend chili when the pot started getting low. It would start out as chili with some macaroni in it and end up as macaroni with a little chili on it.
Exodor wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:33 pm The monstrosity in the OP is chili mac or maybe Hamburger Helper.
The photo is from a google image search on "slumgullion."
Sudy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:42 pm But she reminded me there was something my grandmother fed her growing up that my mother also made sometimes when I was young. "Jocelyn's Surprise." I can find no mention of this after a brief googling. Sounds like the re-naming of a generic dish from a 50s or 60s cookbook.
My mom had a recipe called "Teenager's Delight." I remember it featured ground beef topped with tater tots, but not what else was in it. Maybe cheese. Probably nothing healthy. I think it was a casserole (baked), unlike slumgullion/chili mac which is a skillet dish.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:11 pm
disarm wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:08 pmchili mac
That's what I called it also...unless it specifically came from a hamburger helper box, then it was hamburger helper. But if we made it our selves it was chili mac.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Upon further reflection, I didn't invent chili mac. I invented chilighetti. I shouldn't need to explain the difference. :lol:
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:38 am And pasta fazool. Hummus and pita. Rice and beans.
Yes OK, I have no problem with these things. Maybe it's a proportions thing.

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:49 am BOOM, Macalaca!
Too close to Greek moussaka.
Enlarge Image

I'd call the OP image chili mac, but I prefer taco mac. Even better yet my version of my mother's "Shipwreck" with ground pork instead of hamburger, taco seasoning instead of tomato soup, chopped onions, and kidney beans leaving out the thin sliced potatoes. I need a casserole dish shaped like a row boat

Great eats for watching the original Swiss Family Robinson.
Stop funding for NPR
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:18 am And yet there is bean dip (eaten with pure carb chips), chili cheese fries, etc.
I don't think of chili as meat only. In fact a meat only chili by itself isn't something that appeals to me, but chili cheese fris is made with "coney sauce" aka meat chili. No beans. No beans go on a coney (chili dog) either, nor chili nachos.

I've never heard of slumgullion until this thread.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:02 am My mom had a recipe called "Teenager's Delight." I remember it featured ground beef topped with tater tots, but not what else was in it. Maybe cheese. Probably nothing healthy. I think it was a casserole (baked), unlike slumgullion/chili mac which is a skillet dish.
Sounds like hotdish (which I only know about because I have a friend who loathes it).

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Goulash had more sauce when I was growing up; almost a soup. Probably closer to a Hungarian goulash. Of course looking at that picture I think my mom would have added more cheese and baked it to make it a casserole. Chili mac is something I never heard of until college and now I always associate it with actually having chili powder in it so unless that has chili powder I wouldn't call it chili mac.

I'd probably call it fancy mac and cheese or something. Homemade hamburger helper sounds ok.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Mac casserole
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:46 am Sounds like hotdish (which I only know about because I have a friend who loathes it).
:cry:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Meal wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:04 am
Max Peck wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:46 am Sounds like hotdish (which I only know about because I have a friend who loathes it).
:cry:
I'm pretty sure it's one of those growing-up-poor and this-reminds-me-of-growing-up-poor things.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Goulash.

Until I met my wife and she introduces me to her chili (not a big chili fan except chili-dogs and chili on fries) - and their version of chili in her family was pretty much... goulash.

Slumgullian was kind of a mish-mash leftovers, mixed veggies, think pasta and kielbasa I think maybe? What ever sauce there was was more white and thick, not runny (been a few decades, not one of my favorite dishes).
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The Meal wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:07 pm Casserole?
+1

Macaroni/Hamburger casserole. Which is a billion different dishes.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

em2nought wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:49 am BOOM, Macalaca!
Too close to Greek moussaka.
Enlarge Image