A good fantasy RPG to play?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

A good fantasy RPG to play?

Post by Daehawk »

Ive been playing lots of sci-fi rpg stuff in the last months....ME2, SWTOR, STO...some others tested and such.

Im in the mood for a good fantasy RPG again. Like Baldurs Gate or Skyrim.

There are some no no's though I dont want it to have....such as forced resting and eating. Resting if fine if Iwant to to regain health but not when Im forced to do it because my character is tired or traveled a short ways on the map...ie Pathfinder.

No turned based combat...as in tactical style. I dont want the type like in the Xcom games with move points and such. Prefer a real time with pause.

Must not be insanely hard in difficulty.

I prefer overhead view ones to 3rd person but will entertain 3rd person suggestions.

Whats Im looking for is sorta a lot of BG but modern and better looking and such. Though I could never complete Pillars for some reason...just didn't truly grab me. Also didn't care for Larian studios stuff much. One of their or the other one like theirs I hated having to talk to myself and choose both characters option...was silly. I love talking with my group members but Id like them to be the ones talking back not me to me.

I may add stuff to this post if I can recall other features I like or hate.

EDIT: Some Steam games that looking interesting.....

Aarklash: Legacy
Encased ...not very fantasy though lol
Ember
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Re: A good fantasy RPG to play?

Post by Rumpy »

Have you ever played the Game of Thrones RPG? I loved that one. It's a little rough around the edges, but once you get passed that, it can be quite a good time. You play two unique characters whose stories intertwine, and while it's based on the books more than the show, they still use the likeness of the characters from the show, and the game lets you visit many of the important locations from the show. It's got one unique feature where you can use a dog to sniff out clues.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The only GoT game I know i have is the Telltale adventure one Ive never played.

Im going to post a pist of games I have on Steam that seem like interesting RPGs and see if you guys have opinions on those. But plz suggest stuff. If I dont have it on Steam i may somewhere else. Or can add it to my waitlist for a sale.

Edit: Got to the E games and gave up...got TOO many games even skimming along will take an hour lol. Yes I filtered them to rpg only. But Steam seems to suck at filtering and listing.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Like Baldur's Gate and Skyrim? Those are two pretty different games to take as an example, and neither one of them fits you 'no nos.' (Skyrim is first person, and Baldur's Gate is often extremely difficult.)

Have you considered Diablo?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've played the Telltale thing, but no, this is not the one I'm talking about. There was a full-fledged RPG that was released several years ago, and Martin himself helped with the writing and it shows. This thing.

Last edited by Rumpy on Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill look it up ty.
Have you considered Diablo?
Played them all many many times....especially 2 and 3. Ive got like 5 completed character stories in 3. I do plan to do a Barb next sometime ...but I just did the wiz a few months back.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Tower of Time:

Here's a video review courtesy of Skill Up that explains why it ought to fit most of your criteria (BTW, the developer did subsequently add an item highlight button -- "H" by default, but you can change it -- so that minor complaint towards the end of the review no longer applies):

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Does almost fit my view of what I want. He even mentions things like all the reading in Pillars and Original Sin being a huge turn off and how the coming of 3D ruined CRPG gaming a lot.

The only thing Im not happy with that is the combat. I dont care for it taking the player to an arena to fight waves and waves of monsters. I pretty much hate waves and instances lol. Ill keep it in mind though. TY.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was in a similar boat this weekend, trying to find something to play. I searched “Best RPG 2023” and Google spat back a list of 75 or so titles (I assume from Metacritic rankings or something). Of the list, there were only two I hadn’t played, both of which were post-apocalyptic, a setting that has zero interest for me. Was hoping there might be a “hidden gem” that I had missed somewhere along the way…no such luck. I think I may end up going back to Trails of Cold Steel, as I never got too far into the second game.

I did try Tower of Time. I remember it was kind of neat but didn’t hold my interest for long. I honestly can’t remember a single thing about it, tbh.

Daehawk, have you tried the remaster of Kingdoms of Amalur? The story is entirely forgettable, but it’s got some good third-person combat and character building. Certainly not a revolutionary game by any means, but it can be some rather mindless fun.
Rumpy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:01 pm I've played the Telltale thing, but no, this is not the one I'm talking about. There was a full-fledged RPG that was released several years ago, and Martin himself helped with the writing and it shows. This thing.
I remember being somewhat interested in this until the reviews were SO bad.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It isn't really all that bad. It's got a good story that's fairly engaging, and it's one of those things where I feel the critics don't generally agree with the players. I mean, the graphics aren't state of the art, sure, but it's got some unique things going for it. If you like a good rpg, I'd give it a try and don't let the reviews dissuade you.

As for Towers of Time, if it's the one I'm remembering, I got that for free via GOG about a year ago, and it was Ok, I guess, but it reminded me of mobile games more than anything.

I just personally started Mars: War Logs and I'm having fun with it. Pretty unique setting for an rpg.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk, have you tried the remaster of Kingdoms of Amalur?
I know ive played it. I even remember the two dwarfs taking your body someplace then you starting the game and such. I could swear I own it but I cant find it anywhere on any service. Still need a all service search lol. I remember liking it but like you said nothing special in story. As I recall it was just moving forward to new areas and doing the quests as you went. Sorta like Gothic or Risen..just not as good.

Maybe I played a demo since I cant find my copy. It was just the original game though...no remake or anything.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I came across Shadows Awakening in my Steam list. Looking interesting but says real time tactical combat. Didn't know those two didn't cancel each other out.

My big troubles in finding a game now like this is I loved the old games and they spoiled me. But I cant go back to them because Ive played them plus I cant stand the graphics and old guis and controls now.

I love the way new games like rpgs look and they are usually easier to control and more intuitive all around.....BUT..the big but...they add so much that I cant stand like forced resting and eating and timed stuff and you name it. So much useless addons. And then they also at time remove good features that old games had.

So I find it tough to settle on something. Trying to ignore things I dont like never works no matter how good the rest is. Its like finding the most beautiful perfect girl for you in the world only to discover she picks her nose at the dinner table.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

My something new is trying out Vaporum:Lockdown and StarCrawlers. Only about an hour into each
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:11 am Does almost fit my view of what I want. He even mentions things like all the reading in Pillars and Original Sin being a huge turn off and how the coming of 3D ruined CRPG gaming a lot.

The only thing Im not happy with that is the combat. I dont care for it taking the player to an arena to fight waves and waves of monsters. I pretty much hate waves and instances lol. Ill keep it in mind though. TY.
Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. Because the real-time with pause or slow-time tactical combat is perhaps the most original aspect of the game and where it really shines, as the video review above aptly observes. It doesn't just throw waves and waves of monsters at you. When beginning a fight, you approach the enemy (or they approach you) and instead of jumping straight into a battle like a classic RPG, you're given a screen summarizing the enemies you are going to face, allowing you to tailor your party to the fight or withdraw if necessary. The combat then plays out almost like a tower defense game, with the enemies approaching your party from various areas and directions. So, you have to solve the tactical puzzle by positioning your units appropriately, and countering with your variety of combat abilities -- including using obstacles to separate them, create chokepoints, protect your party, or otherwise hinder their approach.

It even has an 'RPGlite mode' for those like you, who prefer to avoid CRPGs that require reading extensive amounts of text. The RPGlite mode allows you to progress faster, skip over dialogue, and provides access to all the champions right away, with the first four floors automatically unlocked. This means you can focus upon combat and party-building, and customize your party as you wish right from the get go. Although to unlock the RPGlite mode, I believe you do need to have beaten the final boss on floor 1.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

This is my go-to RPG youtube channel. He's been at it awhile but has only taken off this past year. If it's an RPG, he's probably 100%'d it, or will do in the very near future. A lot of seemingly objective and subjective commentary. I like him quite a bit.

Mortismal Gaming

His preference is fantasy RPG's, so he has a ton of videos on those specifically.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isn't Baldurs Gate 3 coming out in a few months? Obviously that's not now, but on the horizon.
Black Lives Matter.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

The problem, Dae, is that you don't want a new RPG. You want nostalgia. And no new game is going to give that to you. So until you are actually willing to try something new, and give it a real try, you aren't going to find anything.

You talk about BG2, but then seemingly blew off Pillars. That would be my recommendation for a BG-like game. Plus, it has some really interesting classes that are very different from the standard D&D fare. But... it's not BG. So no nostalgia factor.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:33 pm Isn't Baldurs Gate 3 coming out in a few months? Obviously that's not now, but on the horizon.
Which is a game that's about 180 degrees different than it's OG namesake. Above and beyond the look it's also turn based.
TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:35 pm The problem, Dae, is that you don't want a new RPG. You want nostalgia. And no new game is going to give that to you. So until you are actually willing to try something new, and give it a real try, you aren't going to find anything.

You talk about BG2, but then seemingly blew off Pillars. That would be my recommendation for a BG-like game. Plus, it has some really interesting classes that are very different from the standard D&D fare. But... it's not BG. So no nostalgia factor.
All of this.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

These are in the same vein as Diablo, but have you ever tried Grim Dawn? They have a bunch of content, multiple DLC's, and a TON of class combinations. Very similar to Titan Quest, which still holds up to this day in my opinion. TQ also has tons of DLC, even some fairly recent ones (like within the last 6 months for a game that's over a decade and a half old). And lastly have you tried Wolcen? Once again, a Diablo-type, but a very rich skill tree and some phenomenal builds. Graphics are also pretty good.

I know these are all action RPG's, but you mentioned your experience with Diablo, and these are all VERY good games IMO.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:35 pm The problem, Dae, is that you don't want a new RPG. You want nostalgia. And no new game is going to give that to you. So until you are actually willing to try something new, and give it a real try, you aren't going to find anything.

I will 100% agree with the desire for nostalgia. I often retreat to older games I loved (I'm looking at you, City of Heroes/Villains!) to scratch that gaming itch. That's why I bought in day one of the new Master of Magic. And it actually holds up, I think.

However, I'm not sure I agree with the Pillars comment. I LOVED BG and all it's iterations, but I bounced off Pillars hard, mainly because the classes. I couldn't figure out how they interacted with each other, so I went online and looked a couple of suggestions. The classes I thought would be a tank were more DPS, and the classes I thought were support were listed as the best tanks. I've posted on this a few times, so sorry if I'm repeating myself too much. I know Pillars was very well received here, but I also know several people had a similar experience.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hyena wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:04 pm However, I'm not sure I agree with the Pillars comment. I LOVED BG and all it's iterations, but I bounced off Pillars hard, mainly because the classes. I couldn't figure out how they interacted with each other, so I went online and looked a couple of suggestions. The classes I thought would be a tank were more DPS, and the classes I thought were support were listed as the best tanks. I've posted on this a few times, so sorry if I'm repeating myself too much. I know Pillars was very well received here, but I also know several people had a similar experience.
And that's fine. But that doesn't change that it plays very much like BG. Look and feel. You bounced off it, but you weren't looking for the same thing that Dae is. He want's BG2 Part 2. Which doesn't exist. Pillars would fit the bill if he can get into it. It sounds like you probably gave it a fair shake. My contention is that Dae did not. He fired it up with his BG2-nostaligia glasses on, and it wasn't satisfying.

I also think his "no turn-based" is, frankly, silly. There is a big difference between XCOM and Divinity. Or Blackguard. Stating "I hate turn-based and won't play any" is absurd. It takes so many good games off the table.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

A quick perusal through my Steam library looking for non-turn-based (more action-ish RPG)…

If you don’t mind Early Access games:

Last Epoch is a Diablo-ish kind of game, one of the best IMHO for single player play. Not the greatest story but the gameplay is fantastic. They are about to release their first multiplayer patch but I suspect that doesn’t affect you.

Alaloth - I barely played much of it but I keep intending to lol. It looks like it could be really good, but also in Early Access.

These are already released:

Warhammer: Chaosbane - I never finished it but I liked what I did play and it is really cheap right now

Wolcen - this one gets a lot of bad press but personally I enjoyed the single player game quite a bit. They are about to do an overhaul with new content though so it may be better to wait for that to release
Anonymous Bosch

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:28 pm This is my go-to RPG youtube channel. He's been at it awhile but has only taken off this past year. If it's an RPG, he's probably 100%'d it, or will do in the very near future. A lot of seemingly objective and subjective commentary. I like him quite a bit.

Mortismal Gaming

His preference is fantasy RPG's, so he has a ton of videos on those specifically.
FWIW, here's the Mortismal Gaming review of Tower of Time:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:24 pm FWIW, here's the Mortismal Gaming review of Tower of Time:
Yep, I had Tower of Time on my wishlist for years, and Mort's review and the past holiday pricing finally had me pull the trigger.

I bought it more for my collection than anything else though. I really don't play party based rpg's any more. But I do like hearing about them. :D

ToT was on my wishlist because of previous good reviews, so it's not just Mortismal who likes it.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:33 pm Isn't Baldurs Gate 3 coming out in a few months? Obviously that's not now, but on the horizon.
Not until August, but it is turn based.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wouldn't say I blew off Pillars..I put almost 66 hours into it before quitting for the 3rd time. Even that guy in the Towers video said he didn't care for it and other that require SO MUCH READING. Im done with reading pages of text after the very first Torment in 2000 or whatever. I loved them then but not now and my eyes cant take it. As I age I want fast and faster stuff not reading or turn based...and turn based with action points were my favorite type when I started pc gaming. Ive played Fallout 1 and 2 at least 8 times. But I tried Fallout last year or so and quit a short ways in. I cant take then. Almost seems the older I get the more my ADHD kicks in.

yes I played Grim Dawn some. Shows about 6 hours played.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Then you need to focus on ARPGs only. There is nothing in most RPGs, either turn-based or real-time, that is going to make you happy. Reading is part of the games. As are tactics and planning. i.e. slowness

Grim Dawn
Diablo
Path of Exile
etc.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Reading is part of the games. As are tactics and planning. i.e. slowness
I wouldn't agree. Take the original 2 BG games. Yes they had some reading but not huge amounts like we see today. It didn't really have tactics either unless you made tactics up yourself by going into pause and working it out. And I wouldn't consider it slow at all.

If Larian would make BG3 right it would be fun. Like change most text to read audio dialog. Its also part of todays gaming. But instead they make the combat turn based tactical. Thats a big no for me . If they'd left it alone just improved what needed improving and not changing what was great to begin with.

It seems games today have to have features I dont like and Im sure Im not alone...turn based combat, books of text, checkpoint saving, overcomplication in areas.

Just give me BG or some older game but only improve graphics and sound and add helpful fun stuff and remove what was already bad. Im not talking make the same game Im talking entirely new games but in the style of what was considered great. If the games ive seen come out in the RPG world are how its gonna be then Im out of those....one of my two original favorite genres.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:50 pm
Reading is part of the games. As are tactics and planning. i.e. slowness
I wouldn't agree. Take the original 2 BG games. Yes they had some reading but not huge amounts like we see today. It didn't really have tactics either unless you made tactics up yourself by going into pause and working it out. And I wouldn't consider it slow at all.
According to the internet, Baldur's Gate 2(Enhanced) has 1.65+ million lines of text. I'm not sure about the original. Divinity: Original Sin 2 was a little over a million lines of text. People online are saying Pillars is less than BG2 but more than Divinity 2.

Anyway, I think your memory is fuzzy here. And I'm struggling to agree with saying Baldur's Gate 2 didn't have tactics. I don't know how anyone could play those in real time unless you had it on super easy. Positioning spell casters and missile fighters was *key* in those games.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:12 pm Then you need to focus on ARPGs only. There is nothing in most RPGs, either turn-based or real-time, that is going to make you happy. Reading is part of the games. As are tactics and planning. i.e. slowness

Grim Dawn
Diablo
Path of Exile
etc.
+1. You aren't looking for tactical, party-based RPGs with deep mechanics. You're looking for the feeling you used to get from them, but without all of the things that make them tick. You want action games with RPG elements, not full-fledged RPGs. There are a few games that skirt the line between them (some of the Dragon Age titles, for instance - although it trades the reading for lots of conversation.) There's nothing wrong with changing your preferences over time. We all do. It only starts to become problematic when you're fighting against it. Instead of trying to recapture the feeling you had with something you don't like anymore, capture a new feeling with something you do like.

Look at the Diablos and their ilk. Mix mentioned some. Warhammer: Chaosbane was mentioned earlier. I'll add (not all fantasy, but most are, and some I haven't played myself, so do your due diligence):

Kingdoms of Amalur
Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War
Titan Quest
Neverwinter (maybe - I don't know how it is these days, so check that first.)
Overlord / Overlord 2
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 1-3
Titan Quest (still great)
Borderlands fits in here.
Maybe the Risen games (I haven't played them myself, so that's a long shot.)
Torchlight 2
Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor
Warframe (maybe - it has some similarities.)
Lost Ark (I've never played it, but I've heard good things)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:00 pm According to the internet, Baldur's Gate 2(Enhanced) has 1.65+ million lines of text.
That would be somewhere around 16.5 million words, and about five times bigger than the longest single novel ever written. I believe that's the word count rather than lines of text (and it comes with caveats*.) For comparison, all of Harry Potter is 1.08 million, A Song of Ice and Fire (IE - Game of Thrones) is about 1.77 million, and I'm about 2.55 million into Wheel of Time (which hits 4.41 million by the end.)

*The caveats - according to The Internet™, that's a word count of the total words of non-hardcoded text, so it likely includes item descriptions, developer comments, readable books, lines written but not implemented, bits of formatting code, etc. The actual lines of dialogue would be far fewer, and you wouldn't see all of them in any playthrough.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:12 pm Then you need to focus on ARPGs only. There is nothing in most RPGs, either turn-based or real-time, that is going to make you happy. Reading is part of the games. As are tactics and planning. i.e. slowness

Grim Dawn
Diablo
Path of Exile
etc.
Add to this Chronicon. It is really fun and a little janky.
Last edited by WYBaugh on Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:00 pm Anyway, I think your memory is fuzzy here. And I'm struggling to agree with saying Baldur's Gate 2 didn't have tactics. I don't know how anyone could play those in real time unless you had it on super easy. Positioning spell casters and missile fighters was *key* in those games.
+1

I think the glasses here are heavily tinted. :roll:

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:00 pm +1. You aren't looking for tactical, party-based RPGs with deep mechanics. You're looking for the feeling you used to get from them, but without all of the things that make them tick. You want action games with RPG elements, not full-fledged RPGs.
Well said.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:49 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:00 pm Anyway, I think your memory is fuzzy here. And I'm struggling to agree with saying Baldur's Gate 2 didn't have tactics. I don't know how anyone could play those in real time unless you had it on super easy. Positioning spell casters and missile fighters was *key* in those games.
+1

Nope real time normal.

See thats just it ...we all play differently and like and hate different things. Why my thread asking for title advice became a tell Daehawk how wrong he is thread I dont know. I dont care to debate why Daehawk is right for Daehawk and the rest is useless except to you. I was just asking for ideas and I posted my preferences. Next time you guys say you love some music or a tv show Im simply going to tell you how wrong you are for page after page I guess. Geez.

Know what...lets drop it...forget I posted asking. Ill find something. Just thought it would be a good idea to get other game title opinions within my criteria..its why I posted my likes and dislikes...thought it would be simpler. I see I made a mistake.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

The problem is that you asked for recommendations and then told us that we were wrong with everything that we recommended. Your request is a moving target.

I remember a LOT of reading with BG2. A LOT. And I remember constant pausing to handle tactics. I would have loved it to be turn-based, it would have been a faster. So, basically, people are telling you that we honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Your memory of the game is obviously completely different from ours.

And I didn't even mention Skyrim. Skyrim literally has 100s of books. Now, you don't have to read them. You don't even really have to read the quests. But you are certainly missing out on a majority of the game.

Same with BG2. You probably don't read much now because you've played it so many times. But I guarantee that a person playing it for the first time would have to stop and read. And battles would be incredibly slow as they learned.

Which is what we are saying. There are no RPGs with any depth that you are not going to have to read. Not the first time. Not if you want to have any idea what is going on.

So you can get angry and pout, or you can acknowledge that you are making it impossible for us to help you.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:03 pm Just thought it would be a good idea to get other game title opinions within my criteria..its why I posted my likes and dislikes...thought it would be simpler. I see I made a mistake.
The mistake wasn't asking for recommendations. Nor was it posting likes and dislikes. It was posting examples that don't fit your own likes and dislikes.

You don't want turn-based. (I'd argue that you don't really want Pausable-Real-Time either since you clearly don't want to have to pause.)
You don't want tactics.
You don't want to have to read.
You want fantasy.
You don't want complicated classes.

Based on those, people posted a ton of examples. Mostly ARPGs, because those most closely match what you have outlined.

Black Lives Matter

WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Divine Divinity is old but it was fun.

Are the Divinity: Original Sin's out of the question?

You may scoff, but Dragon Quest Builders 2 is a really good game.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

This is related but kind of a side question. Has there ever been another game that did combat like Dragon Age: Origins? Party-based, real-time, pausable, but also you could choose to just let the AI control the rest of the party with different priorities or whatever? I really loved this - I played it on easier difficulty and basically never paused, so it was more like an action-RPG feel. But also kind of like a MMORPG feel with a party of NPCs instead of humans. I liked that I could set Alastair to tank, and I think there was an archer chick or something doing ranged, and then I would focus on healing and CC and damage as needed.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:03 pm
TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:49 pm
+1

Nope real time normal.

See thats just it ...we all play differently and like and hate different things. Why my thread asking for title advice became a tell Daehawk how wrong he is thread I dont know. I dont care to debate why Daehawk is right for Daehawk and the rest is useless except to you. I was just asking for ideas and I posted my preferences. Next time you guys say you love some music or a tv show Im simply going to tell you how wrong you are for page after page I guess. Geez.

Know what...lets drop it...forget I posted asking. Ill find something. Just thought it would be a good idea to get other game title opinions within my criteria..its why I posted my likes and dislikes...thought it would be simpler. I see I made a mistake.
I'm not sure why anyone responds to your recommendation threads anymore. We all know how they will end up.