Worst Tiktok Challenge

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

paulbaxter

Worst Tiktok Challenge

Post by paulbaxter »

There's apparently a Tiktok challenge going around that shows how to steal older model Hyundais and Kias.

I call it the worst challenge because my car is now among those stolen. Hadn't heard about it until the police officer told me about it when I made the report. Then the insurance adjustor told me that Hyundais and Kias are the vast majority of their stolen car reports.

Anyhow, if you own a Kia or Hyundai with an old fashioned key starter, maybe think about some extra security precautions.
No sig, must scream, etc.
hepcat

Re: Worst Tiktok Challenge

Post by hepcat »

Sorry about your loss. This has been a thing for a few years now. In the Chicago area almost half of the cars stolen in 2022 were Hyundais and Kias. :(
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

(Wherein Kraken learns that there is such a thing as a "Tiktok Challenge," and that it apparently doesn't involve clocks.)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thread title implies such a thing as a “best TikTok challenge”.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It could be worse...in some areas, insurance companies are now refusing to insure those cars.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well, to be more on topic: Why Kias and Hyundais? Just for luls? Does Tiktok hate Korea?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Used to be Hondas. Probably has to do at the ease of stealing them. And the profits to be made.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote:Thread title implies such a thing as a “best TikTok challenge”.
Delete the app.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kraken wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:17 am Well, to be more on topic: Why Kias and Hyundais? Just for luls? Does Tiktok hate Korea?
Because they have a widely-circulated vulnerability that makes it easy to tea-leaf 'em with a simple USB cable:

Kia, Hyundai Offer Owners Security Kits, Locks After Targeted Car Thefts
Forbes.com wrote:It’s a tough time to be a Kia or Hyundai owner.

Cars from 2021 and earlier are being targeted, especially in the Midwest in cities like Milwaukee and St. Louis, because of a missing steering wheel component that makes it easy to drive off with a simple hack. The keyless hack is spreading widely on social media to the point that Hyundai is selling an aftermarket security kit and both companies are developing a theft-prevention software update for next year.

These older, lower-cost models like the Kia Rio and Sportage and the Hyundai Accent have a traditional turn-key ignition but no engine immobilizer, which requires a matching chip in a key fob to start the engine. The thieves can quickly hotwire the system with something as simple as a USB cable once the ignition cover is pried off. The carjackings are part of a TikTok trend called the “Kia Challenge.”
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:17 am Well, to be more on topic: Why Kias and Hyundais? Just for luls? Does Tiktok hate Korea?
There's a simple method for "hot-wiring" them using a USB key.

It's a huge problem here. Pretty much you need The Club or similar if you have one of the affected models.

They call the thieves Kia Boys and there has been a surge in minors, many without a driver's license, stealing these and joyriding and/or using them in subsequent crimes.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Milwaukee.

One of the Kia boys having ambitions to do HVAC as a career warms the heart though.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ok, so who here was doing the "steal paulbaxter's car" challenge?
Black Lives Matter.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I have a kia forte that sits outside. I've heard of this for a while. I'm not getting concerned because insurance companies are starting to drop covergae for owners. Which is lame. After reading this thread, it pushed me to buy a steering wheel lock.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

It's been a wonderful car otherwise. 2014 Elantra. 200k miles and still running like a champ.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

It looks like if you have a push button start for your car (rather than a key) this vulnerability shouldn't affect you. My wife's Sedona has push button so sadly, it's not affected. I hate that car.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:43 pm My wife's Sedona has push button so sadly, it's not affected. I hate that car.
Have you considered creating a new Tiktok challenge?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

We have a 2022 Elantra.
Missed it by this much.....
I just hope the thieves check the model year before doing their thieving.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

My car was found and towed to a dealership for repairs. When I called them on Friday for a time estimate, all they would tell me is "the parts are on backorder."

My insurance covers a rental vehicle for a month, but I'm hoping I'm not out of pocket for several weeks beyond that. The car is all full of crap that the thief left behind. Food wrappers, a hat, a cross hanging from the mirror, an air freshener, and even a phone. I'm thinking this wasn't the work of criminal masterminds.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

An air freshener?

A cross ?

How long was your car missing?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Must've been a joyride situation; they abandoned the car once they hit the retaining wall.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hyundai and Kia agree to $200 million legal settlement over theft issues May 18, 2023
The settlement, which could cover up to nine million vehicle owners, provides a total of up to $145 million that will be distributed to owners whose vehicles have been stolen to help cover their out-of-pocket losses.

This could include payments of up to $6,125 per owner for the complete loss of their vehicle as well as payments for damage to the vehicle and to personal property for up to $3,375. It could also include payments for insurance-related expenses and other costs, including car rental, taxi fare, ride share costs or public transit payments not otherwise covered by insurance.

Including costs related to installing anti-theft software systems and payments for other anti-theft measures, the total cost of the settlement could be slightly more or less than $200 million, depending on how many owners participate.

The vehicles in question, 2015-2019 Hyundai and Kia models, such as the Hyundai Santa Fe and Tucson and the Kia Forte and Sportage, when equipped with turn-key ignitions — as opposed to cars that only require a button to be pushed to start — are roughly twice as likely to be stolen as other vehicles of a similar age.
paulbaxter wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:06 am I'm hoping I'm not out of pocket for several weeks beyond that.
If you were, you have recourse.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:55 pm Hyundai and Kia agree to $200 million legal settlement over theft issues May 18, 2023
The settlement, which could cover up to nine million vehicle owners, provides a total of up to $145 million that will be distributed to owners whose vehicles have been stolen to help cover their out-of-pocket losses.

This could include payments of up to $6,125 per owner for the complete loss of their vehicle as well as payments for damage to the vehicle and to personal property for up to $3,375. It could also include payments for insurance-related expenses and other costs, including car rental, taxi fare, ride share costs or public transit payments not otherwise covered by insurance.

Including costs related to installing anti-theft software systems and payments for other anti-theft measures, the total cost of the settlement could be slightly more or less than $200 million, depending on how many owners participate.

The vehicles in question, 2015-2019 Hyundai and Kia models, such as the Hyundai Santa Fe and Tucson and the Kia Forte and Sportage, when equipped with turn-key ignitions — as opposed to cars that only require a button to be pushed to start — are roughly twice as likely to be stolen as other vehicles of a similar age.
paulbaxter wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:06 am I'm hoping I'm not out of pocket for several weeks beyond that.
If you were, you have recourse.
Will they refund me for this? :P

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You can always ask.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Eat your Tide pods and shut up.

Years ago, I was out to dinner with some people and one locked their keys in their car (a Kia I think, could have been Hyundai). One guy in the group had a massive keyring, and decided to try them all. And one worked! If was his key to The Club -- an anti-theft device! Months later I was at a cycling convention and they tried to sell me on The Club to protect my bike. I told them the story, and they sheepishly admitted that their keys could open the doors and start that car.
Black Lives Matter