Metroid Prime HD (!)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

JCC

Metroid Prime HD (!)

Post by JCC »

So, as someone who hasn't been able to stop playing Metroid games since Dread came out, I was thrilled when Nintendo announced the release of Prime HD today! I have played through the tutorial/space station part. The combination of dual analog control for the first time coupled with the lock on system of the original game is very natural feeling. Yes, there is still all the scanning happening to open doors and stuff so that's still a thing.

Graphically, it definitely looks better. Some textures were obviously improved. I don't think they increased polygons for the creatures, objects, etc. But, I will leave it to pros to comment on that and show classsic vs. HD comparisons.

In short, I am thrilled to be able to play this again. Would I have prefered the entire trilogy? Absolutely, but getting the best game in the trilogy will have to be enough for now.

If they do the rest of the Prime games, I hope they make the goofy motion controls from the third game optional and provide alternative controls. I wouldn't say no to them dumbing down (or offering an "easy" mode) for Prime 2 as well. I have only been able to finish that thing once since every time I have tried to replay it I get frustrated and quit. But, I digress...

As I said earlier, I am thrilled to be able to play Metroid Prime again with it looking better than it has before!

Now Nintendo just has to get all the 2D Metroids redone using the Dread engine, and I would be REALLY excited! LOL.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
JCC

Re: Metroid Prime HD (!)

Post by JCC »

It does look like the graphics have been improved throughout. (I have seen some brief comparison videos on YouTube.) So, Metroid Prime has never looked better. I just can't stress how wonderful it is to play it with 2 analog sticks + the lock on mechanic. Movement, and shooting feel so good now, much better than ever before in a Metroid Prime game.

Also, the game is go freaking great. I have played this original game countless times on the Gamecube and Wii, and it's still one of my all time favorite games. It's a delight to play it again after some number of years since I last replayed it. I hope the other two games are coming, and that they don't forever to get them out.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Glad to hear it! I only played Corruption (was a Wii guy, didn't have a GC), so I'm looking forward to this. Already purchased and downloaded, but am going to wait until I've finished up with Octopath before digging in. (Hopefully that comes before I get sucked into Octopath 2)

If I had to guess on the first-game-vs-trilogy, I'd posit that they have them all ready (or in various stages of ready) but realized they can make $80 or $120 rather than $60. They can also trickle them out between now and Prime 4's release to stretch it out. Whatever the reason, it seems like remastering the 1st one would have been the majority of the work to remaster all 3, so it'd be a shame if they don't take advantage and eventually do them all.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The improvements they've made are kind of unreal. I'm stoked.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Wow. I heard about it but seeing is believing. Definitely on my radar now.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I loved Prime and Echoes and generally preferred the Wii motion controls over the clunky GameCube controls, minus arm fatigue from playing too long. Playing with a typical dual stick setup sounds great!

I quit Echoes after failing over and over on what I assumed was the final boss (it's actually the next to last) but after several years returned to finish it off. Never got past the first few minutes of Corruption, I think I was just burned out at the time but I still have the trilogy collection.
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, I finally have killed Metroid Prime. I spent a lot of the last couple weeks just trying to find all the energy tanks (I eventually did) and all the missiles (I gave up with only a little over half of them.) The hardest part of the final boss was actually getting to Metroid Prime, as the damn metroids kept knocking me off ledges. (haha) I was playing on the easiest difficulty, and don't have much appetite to play on anything harder at this point. I think I will probably start a replay and try to get all the missiles/power bombs.

The game holds up very well. Dual analog + lock on is just so fantastic in this. I think the rumors that 2 and 3 won't be "as remastered" are a shame. I also wonder what a remastered Corruption will be. I hope they have figured out a way to play completely without the motion controls, but that may be to much to ask.

Still one of my all time favorite games. While I had played Super Metroid before this (though I don't think I won it back in the day), Prime was really what made me a Metroid fan and got me to play Zero Mission, Fusion, Super Metroid and eventually Samus Returns) afterwards.

I've been asking myself if I prefer this or Dread, and I really don't know. They are both awesome. I really hope they don't make us wait forever for Echoes and Corruption.
Black Lives Matter