[Streaming] Tubi

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

[Streaming] Tubi

Post by Kraken »

The more I see of Tubi, the more I think it should have a thread. I'm regularly watching Farscape there right now and they've tempted me into watching two movies so far -- and that's without me looking for any. The ads are mildly annoying but not excessive and respond to the Mute button.

My only gripe is that my Hisense TV struggles mightily to load the app, but I suspect that's just a me problem. Well, that and I can't help but pronounce their name "Tubby," but I suspect that's also a me problem.
Jaymann

Re: [Streaming] Tubi

Post by Jaymann »

Tubi or not Tubi?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Teletubi

i did find out the other day they have all 1,225 episodes of Dark Shadows, so i might give that a try
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:27 am Teletubi

i did find out the other day they have all 1,225 episodes of Dark Shadows, so i might give that a try
See ya in 2029!
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Tubi has turned out to be surprisingly good for a free service. 4K replays of all the World Cup matches were available the day after they aired.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hitbyambulance wrote:i did find out the other day they have all 1,225 episodes of Dark Shadows, so i might give that a try
I've actually been doing this for the past couple of months. The good news is that at least the early episodes are only like 20 minutes long.

Yeah I'm a big Tubi fan. Their only negative (and I don't really consider it much of a negative since it's free) is that they throw a TON of schlock in among their quality titles.

In fact, a buddy of mine and I have a segment on our podcast called "Tubi Trap" where we pick out the worst possible horror movie we can find on Tubi and force the other one to watch it and give a full review. The other night I had to watch "Jesus Christ, Vampure Hunter." :lol:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:09 pm Jesus Christ, Vampire Hunter
Answering the question, "Just how many atheists can you fit into a Jeep Wrangler?

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:20 pm
YellowKing wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:09 pm Jesus Christ, Vampire Hunter
Answering the question, "Just how many atheists can you fit into a Jeep Wrangler?
:lol: The cinematography reminds me of a Super 8 short movie my friends and I made in our high school Film Club.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, this one was shot on 16mm.
JCC

Post by JCC »

The Tubis, Plutos, and Crackles of the world (ie. "free" ad supported streaming services) are benefitting from lots of old titles that are actually quite good not being able to garner the interest of the "premium" streaming services. I know during my end of year break I watched some old Clint movies on some of those services. It's also nice when you don't even have to provide an email to watch them. I think when I first checked out Tubi a long time ago, it was all pretty much trash. But, they do have some gems now.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fox acquired Tubi in 2020.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently Tubi is doing something weird with The Nevers. I expected that after the episodes premiered they'd be available for streaming on demand but apparently they aired once at the specific scheduled times as if Tubi was a linear TV channel, somehow, and that's it until the next time they air. Supposedly they're doing it again on March 1-3, but times have yet to be announced.

When Will The Nevers Be Back on Tubi?
Miss your favorite episodes of The Nevers when they were airing on Tubi? Too tied up with work or school to watch the world premiere of the last six episodes of The Nevers? Briefly find yourself in some sort of time travel, alien-powered, body swap situation during mid-February 2023 and can’t get to Tubi???

If you miss The Nevers this week, you’ll have another chance to stream it on Tubi from March 1 to March 3. Streaming times have not yet been confirmed.
I completely forgot about this when this week turned out to be "interesting" (in the proverbial sense), so I guess I'll need to keep an eye open for more details. (Narrator: He then forgot all about it.)

Did anyone watch all the episodes? I'm curious as to how this actually worked since I've never seen Tubi function as if it was a TV channel rather than a video on demand service.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Seriously? That’s some bullshit.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Several people over on QuarterToThree are speculating that Warner/Discovery dumped it on Tubi like this (middle of the day across 3 weekdays with crappy audio/video quality) in order to fulfill a contractual obligation to air the episodes while minimizing any payout earned from the viewer numbers.

That seems like a very cynical read of the situation, and exactly the sort of thing you'd expect the new management at Warner/Discover to do. :coffee:

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Freevee isn't too bad either. "Bad Times at the el Royale" became recently available, and I've finally gotten to watch it. Available before I've ever found it at a thrift store. Seems to be the new direction, fewer copies sold on DVD because of streaming leads to fewer newer movies at the thrift store
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Watched the first episode of Red Dwarf on Tubi tonight. In a few days we're going to start Babylon 5, also on Tubi.

I'm starting to wonder why I spend so much money on streaming services.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Same. Since I discovered Tubi a couple. Of weeks ago I've been enjoying getting bzck into old stuff like Columbo and Miami Vice.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:13 pm Same. Since I discovered Tubi a couple. Of weeks ago I've been enjoying getting bzck into old stuff like Columbo and Miami Vice.
And the liquor cabinet, if your post is any proof.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I fat finger everything.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I occasionally watch things that come up recommended on Prime. The app is installed on my Fire box and works just fine.
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I didn't even know there was an Earthsea mini-series 20 years ago. Tubi gave me the chance to understand exactly why it isn't remembered! Like The Dark Tower it would have been better if I had never read the book.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Just re-watched “12 Angry Men” for the first time in a few decades. What a triumph of dialog.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

"Nobody" is now on freevee
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:06 pm Just re-watched “12 Angry Men” for the first time in a few decades. What a triumph of dialog.
One of my favorites, right up there with Mister Roberts and Father Goose.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:17 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:06 pm Just re-watched “12 Angry Men” for the first time in a few decades. What a triumph of dialog.
I'm not familiar with the others, but 12 Angry Men has always been a favorite. So well done. And every time some show does their own version, it pales in comparison. Always drives home how fantastic the original was/is.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You should add the others to your short list.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

TheMix wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:42 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:17 pm
I'm not familiar with the others, but 12 Angry Men has always been a favorite. So well done. And every time some show does their own version, it pales in comparison. Always drives home how fantastic the original was/is.
Mr Roberts is definitely worth your time. I can’t remember if I’ve seen Father Goose or not; the description sounds familiar but it doesn’t spark memories. Is it on Tubi? (he asked, on topic.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:39 am YouTube
Thanks, we’ll probably watch that within the next week or two. Been on a classics kick lately.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

In honor of it being 2024, I watched "A Boy and His Dog" on Tubi tonight. It was a remarkably low-quality print. Several times, an "Adjusting tracking" slider came onscreen. That and the video artifacts gradually made it clear that we were watching a VHS tape. Sure enough, at the end of the credits is a "Please rewind this videotape" screen (along with the legal prohibition against showing it commercially)! Not only was it a tape...it was a rental tape. WTF, Tubi? Are there no film copies of this movie in existence, or are you really just that low-rent?

That was the highlight of the movie.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, I noticed that when I posted the links in the other thread. I think the actual Shout Factory videos are better quality. At the very least, they don't have the VHS lead-in.

Although, in a way, streaming a VHS rip seems kind of authentic for an early 70s movie. It has a very video-store vibe.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've really been enjoying Tubi as of late. They don't show a lot of ads either, which is nice. It's been a great source for older movies.

As for streaming VHS copies, could be some movies they have on file never ended up getting DVD versions and have long been out of print. I notice they have a lot older movies with poor video quality, while some are remastered.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, I can confirm that a fairly high-quality version of A Boy and His Dog exists (and a quick search shows it was released on DVD ten years ago.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)