The Trump Trial Tribulations Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

The Trump Trial Tribulations Thread

Post by malchior »

In the face of indictment, Trump attempts to summon his mob again.

NBC News
Former President Donald Trump said Saturday that "illegal leaks" have indicated that he will be arrested Tuesday and called on supporters to protest.

Trump, in posts on his social media platform Truth Social, referenced reports that he could soon face possible criminal charges in New York relating to a hush money payment to adult film star Stormy Daniels.

Trump did not say whether he had been informed by law enforcement of a coming indictment.

Trump, a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination, decried "illegal leaks" that "indicate" he would be arrested on Tuesday.

"PROTEST, TAKE OUR NATION BACK!" Trump wrote.

Trump has denied any wrongdoing and called the investigation by the Democratic Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s office a continuation of the partisan “witch hunt” against him. He’s also accused Bragg, who is Black, of being a “racist.”
Last edited by malchior on Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Re: Trump Indictment Watch

Post by Smoove_B »

Were these statement made before or after he'd announced the first stop on his 2024 campaign tour would be in Waco, TX?

So strange that he picked Waco for next weekend. Thankfully the events of 1993 never inspired anyone to do anything hostile against the government.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Seeing folks already positing a possible indictment as the event that guarantees he'll be reelected.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Eh, Trump is gonna Trump. He can’t help himself. Over a thousand of his most zealous supporters are already in the process of being punished for the attempted coup. I don’t think there will be any widespread violence.

Most of us will be home celebrating with lots of alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I really wish this was the Georgia case. That's a lot harder to say it's pointless. Nobody is giving up on him for paying off someone. Heck he's going to use it to make himself more popular.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow.

Here we go again — an outrageous abuse of power by a radical DA who lets violent criminals walk as he pursues political vengeance against President Trump.

I’m directing relevant committees to immediately investigate if federal funds are being used to subvert our democracy by interfering in elections with politically motivated prosecutions.
malchior

Post by malchior »

McCarthy just cemented his legacy as a complete disgrace. It didn't take much but this is beyond the pale.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

How many times are we going to fall for this?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:07 pm How many times are we going to fall for this?
Which part?
Black Lives Matter.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

How do we still not have a word for "accuse your opposition for what you're actively doing"?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Meal wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:25 pm How do we still not have a word for "accuse your opposition for what you're actively doing"?
Isn't that projection?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:44 am Seeing folks already positing a possible indictment as the event that guarantees he'll be reelected.
I'm seeing this sentiment quite a bit today and admit that it's a bit perplexing to me.

Trump has the built-in MAGA base that will support him regardless. They will see this arrest as a badge of honor, but what are they going to do...vote more? They're already voting for him.

I have a harder time envisioning that there is this large, critical mass of independents who are saying "I was ready to abandon Trump entirely. But now that he's been arrested, then by god, I am fully behind him!"

Maybe I'm just trapped in my own bubble here, but do those people really exist?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:45 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:44 am Seeing folks already positing a possible indictment as the event that guarantees he'll be reelected.
I'm seeing this sentiment quite a bit today and admit that it's a bit perplexing to me.

Trump has the built-in MAGA base that will support him regardless. They will see this arrest as a badge of honor, but what are they going to do...vote more? They're already voting for him.

I have a harder time envisioning that there is this large, critical mass of independents who are saying "I was ready to abandon Trump entirely. But now that he's been arrested, then by god, I am fully behind him!"

Maybe I'm just trapped in my own bubble here, but do those people really exist?
I think the concern is more of a "rally around the flag" effect within the GOP. But honestly, if that's the reaction rather than an abandonment, it suggests that Trump was probably going to win the GOP nomination anyway. Plus I think it's mostly academic, as it would be a terrible reason to not indict Trump.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I certainly do not see how indictment helps his cause. May not hurt but he's not going to secure the nomination solely because he's indicted.

The deciding factor should be whether prison food is more or less healthy than a steady diet of KFC and steak & ketchup.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm quite (I'm sure we are all quite) certain that DeSantis is specifically waiting for this to happen before he actually makes any real move against Trump. So, if he has greased the right palms, they will flock to him if anything starts to take real hold on Trump. To me, that's what makes McCarthy's move interesting - in that he seems to be sorta 'going all in' with that. Of course, I'm sure he is already 'all in', so it's really not much else.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:48 am Wow.

Here we go again — an outrageous abuse of power by a radical DA who lets violent criminals walk as he pursues political vengeance against President Trump.

I’m directing relevant committees to immediately investigate if federal funds are being used to subvert our democracy by interfering in elections with politically motivated prosecutions.
"Investigations" are to any legal recourse as engine lights are to modern vehicles.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:12 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:07 pm How many times are we going to fall for this?
Which part?
The "he's going to be indicted or face consequences" part.
Make up bags of change
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

So how does one do "civil disobedience"? I'm afraid conservatives are far behind on this concept due to the need to work all the time. Is there a college class one can take? A particular store to buy the wardrobe? Obviously Buffalo head dress isn't a good idea. Maybe there's a "Dissent for Dummies" title out there? :lol:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Why would you need to?
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Republican Party presidents can’t be prosecuted for crimes. It was written in the constitution by the founding fathers. (Democrats on the other hand….)

It is incredible to see Donald trump of all people willing to start a civil war to satisfy his own personal demons and how many people are willing to follow him. Dystopian nightmare writers couldn’t have dreamed this stuff up.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:43 am Why would you need to?
I aspire to be a jack of all trades, master of none. :lol:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

A24? Sure. Why not. Had to make room for a story about homeless camps in Phoenix. The Washington Post put the story on its front page.

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Octavious wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:32 am I really wish this was the Georgia case. That's a lot harder to say it's pointless. Nobody is giving up on him for paying off someone. Heck he's going to use it to make himself more popular.
Yep. I agree it’s overblown to say this is going to be a decisive factor in favor of Trump getting the GOP nomination, but it’s going to be a great, great photo op for him and throw tremendous amounts of gas on the insurrectionists and their secessionist bon fire.

If Trump is arrested on this nothing-burger charge - after avoiding all legal consequences for staging a coup and interfering in an election - I don’t think it does anything to offset the narrative that Trump isn’t above justice. This doesn’t really look like an objective application of the law.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:14 pmIf Trump is arrested on this nothing-burger charge - after avoiding all legal consequences for staging a coup and interfering in an election - I don’t think it does anything to offset the narrative that Trump isn’t above justice. This doesn’t really look like an objective application of the law.
I don't know if this is/isn't an objective application but Josh Marshall wrote something with some decent thoughts on it. The big takeaway that I think he gets right is that this uncertainty goes away if/when more indictments come in and it is one of several.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Imagine a world where a former sitting President isn't above the law. To rephrase, I'm hoping all the elected officials that enabled and continue to enable TFG are sweating bullets at the idea.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:31 pm
Kurth wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:14 pmIf Trump is arrested on this nothing-burger charge - after avoiding all legal consequences for staging a coup and interfering in an election - I don’t think it does anything to offset the narrative that Trump isn’t above justice. This doesn’t really look like an objective application of the law.
I don't know if this is/isn't an objective application but Josh Marshall wrote something with some decent thoughts on it. The big takeaway that I think he gets right is that this uncertainty goes away if/when more indictments come in and it is one of several.
Just read that. I get what he’s saying and agree with most of it. His main takeaway is that there’s nothing to be done about this. Bragg is at the controls on this one and made the decision to move forward now for whatever reason. He agrees that the optics will be favorable for Trump, with lots of objective analysts agreeing that it’s “a shaky prosecution,” and he agrees it would have been much better if one of the serious cases went first.

I also agree that if more indictments for serious crimes are piled on soon, the negative effect of this Stormy Daniels case will be somewhat abated. I guess I just see that as a big “if.”

I disagree with his point about the triviality of the current felony charge, which he only really makes by appealing to an alternate reality where this charge was made way back in the waning days of Trump’s election campaign. That simply didn’t happen, and imagining “what if it did?” doesn’t help his argument that bringing the charge now is not a bad look.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The party of scofflaw and disorder.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kurth wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:14 pm If Trump is arrested on this nothing-burger charge - after avoiding all legal consequences for staging a coup and interfering in an election - I don’t think it does anything to offset the narrative that Trump isn’t above justice. This doesn’t really look like an objective application of the law.
A big factor in this is that it will eliminate the precedent of not indicting a former president.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Two things I think:

1) If Trumpworld has received news that he will be arrested on Tuesday, doesn't that mean that he has already been indicted (even if it isn't announced until tomorrow or Tuesday)?

2) Charging Trump with crimes might be a motivator for the core MAGA base, but it is *great* news for Ron DeSantis. So many Republicans are looking for an off-ramp from Trump, and now Trump will be tainted not as a criminal but as a "distraction." The argument will be a sad shaking of the head about how these complicated charges hurt Trump's electability in a time when electability matters most of all. DeSantis becomes the safe pick.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:53 pm2) Charging Trump with crimes might be a motivator for the core MAGA base, but it is *great* news for Ron DeSantis. So many Republicans are looking for an off-ramp from Trump, and now Trump will be tainted not as a criminal but as a "distraction." The argument will be a sad shaking of the head about how these complicated charges hurt Trump's electability in a time when electability matters most of all. DeSantis becomes the safe pick.
This might require a rational, not insane Republican base. Don't get me wrong, it could help DeSantis still. It's just that we would be in unexplored waters. It's hard to know what'll actually happen.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:23 pm
Kurth wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:14 pm If Trump is arrested on this nothing-burger charge - after avoiding all legal consequences for staging a coup and interfering in an election - I don’t think it does anything to offset the narrative that Trump isn’t above justice. This doesn’t really look like an objective application of the law.
A big factor in this is that it will eliminate the precedent of not indicting a former president.
Yeah, I see it as an icebreaker for filing charges for trying to steal Georgia and inciting insurrection, which are much more serious crimes.

Wife asked me today exactly what the crime was in paying off Stormy Daniels, and I'll admit I had to look it up. It's not that paying her off was illegal, but rather how he did it.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

And many in the derposphere are trying to play it off as merely paying for sex.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If he's convinced it will be Tuesday, and I were in charge, I'd get him on Friday. Let all the protests dissolve and the news cycle to move along. Bonus points would be him not getting in front of a judge until after the weekend.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:10 pm If he's convinced it will be Tuesday, and I were in charge, I'd get him on Friday. Let all the protests dissolve and the news cycle to move along. Bonus points would be him not getting in front of a judge until after the weekend.
Bravo!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
waitingtoconnect

I bet dick Wolfe is working out how to make this an episode of Law and Order SVU.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It's really difficult to hit the nail on the head as well as that.
waitingtoconnect

Some people replying to that tweet seem to think that the DoJ runs the Manhattan District Attorneys office. Clearly they went to school in a district that banned all books.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:11 pm
El Guapo wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:12 pm
Which part?
The "he's going to be indicted or face consequences" part.
This isn't Louise Mensch or anything. At this point there's a pretty high chance that Trump gets indicted. I wouldn't bet the bank on him getting specifically indicted on Tuesday (not sure if there is any specific reason why NY would have for indicting him then, or whether Trump's statement changes that at all). But it's likely.

Now, will he ultimately face consequences? That's a harder and more complicated call.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:32 pmNow, will he ultimately face consequences? That's a harder and more complicated call.
That is infinitely easier, and the answer is "no".
Make up bags of change