Jedi: Survivor

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Jedi: Survivor

Post by Skinypupy »

I think I figured out last night one of the main reasons I'm not enjoying this very much.

As I was Jedi parkouring myself through yet another cave (whilst trying to use that absolutely terrible map to find where the hell I'm supposed to go), I stopped for a second to try and remember why I was doing it. Was a chasing a Macguffin? Was I looking for someone? Was I trying to find something? Am I searching for a big bad? Absolutely no idea. I came up completely blank.

I'm about 4 hours in, and the story and characters are all so dull, so generic, and so entirely forgettable that I honestly could not remember for the life of me what the overall premise was. It's simply running from one marker to the next with no investment whatsoever in what's going on. (FWIW, that's not entirely unique to this sequel. I thought Cal was an incredibly boring protagonist in the first game as well, but the overall story kept me pretty engaged.)

That may just be me and the gaming mood I'm in at the moment, but I just have no connection to this at all. I want to, but it's all just so...meh.

Guess this just isn't for me.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:01 am I think I figured out last night one of the main reasons I'm not enjoying this very much.

As I was Jedi parkouring myself through yet another cave (whilst trying to use that absolutely terrible map to find where the hell I'm supposed to go), I stopped for a second to try and remember why I was doing it. Was a chasing a Macguffin? Was I looking for someone? Was I trying to find something? Am I searching for a big bad? Absolutely no idea. I came up completely blank.

I'm about 4 hours in, and the story and characters are all so dull, so generic, and so entirely forgettable that I honestly could not remember for the life of me what the overall premise was. It's simply running from one marker to the next with no investment whatsoever in what's going on. (FWIW, that's not entirely unique to this sequel. I thought Cal was an incredibly boring protagonist in the first game as well, but the overall story kept me pretty engaged.)

That may just be me and the gaming mood I'm in at the moment, but I just have no connection to this at all. I want to, but it's all just so...meh.

Guess this just isn't for me.
Disc or digital :)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I agree that the story is pretty weak, particularly in the beginning. There comes a turning point where you have an idea what is going and there is more meaning. Cal's struggle is largely in his head so it isn't really in your face as much.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Pacing wasn't exactly the first game's strong point, either.
Hodor.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I just finished my playthrough of this and I thought it was excellent throughout. I have no idea what people are talking about when they say the "jumping" parts are too hard in this game. If anything the jumping and grabbing is a ton more forgiving than in similar games. My only real complaint with the game is that it is a tad too easy on the default difficulty. There were literally only 3 boss fights that I died on. One was the first Rancor, one was the final boss, and the other is spoilerific, but it had every right to be difficult.

I thought the exploration was excellent in the game, each area is literally packed with things to find. The storyline was also top notch, I saw the surprise twist coming from a mile away but the way they pulled off the entire last act was so good that I didn't care.

All in all Jedi Survivor is a huge step up from the first game and it's definitely in the Game of Year discussion for me. Which I can't believe I'm saying about an EA game.
FTE
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:01 am As I was Jedi parkouring myself through yet another cave (whilst trying to use that absolutely terrible map to find where the hell I'm supposed to go), I stopped for a second to try and remember why I was doing it. Was a chasing a Macguffin? Was I looking for someone? Was I trying to find something? Am I searching for a big bad? Absolutely no idea. I came up completely blank.
:text-+1:

Jedi Parkour
Using the map and trying to figure out my destination
Meditation saves

These are the deal breakers I ran into yesterday playing this game. Time to return and try a different winter sale game.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Glad I returned it since it is now available as part of Xbox Game Pass. Might have to try it again.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, glad I held off on buying it, even during sales. Once again, Gamepass pays off.
He won. Period.