Jedi: Survivor

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaymann

Jedi: Survivor

Post by Jaymann »

Could not find a dedicated thread for this and I think it deserves one. Coming out April 28. I will purchase on PS5, as it seems a perfect candidate. Plus ease of controller use and save space on my hard drive.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Re: Jedi: Survivor

Post by GreenGoo »

Definitely picking this up, likely on the PS5, but maybe not for full price. i.e. I might wait.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Another advantage of PS5 is if I get stuck I can watch a walkthrough video on PC without exiting the game. This is also possible sometimes on PC with dual screens, but not always.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you run pc games in a maxed window you can alt tab or alt enter to go to desktop ...but ya you cant see both at the same time.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I'll definitely be getting this at some point whenever it goes on sale. I enjoyed the first one a lot.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Less Tomb Raider in my Jedi plz. More older games style.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I really liked a lot of it but yeah, the jumping puzzles were kind of a turnoff for me. I don’t know why so many games seem to feel like they have to have jumping puzzles.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

This is sounding better and better every preview I see:

https://gamingtrend.com/feature/preview ... no-longer/
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yes indeed. Fast travel, plus: Jedi Padawan. We’ll need more time to see how this additional level affects the game, but it’s good to see that the team wants to provide a little bit of challenge beyond story mode...

Sounds perfect for me. No mention if lightsaber upgrades will actually improve your weapon, but we can hope.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

155gb

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor Has a Colossal File Size on PC
EA has revealed the PC system requirements for Star Wars Jedi: Survivor alongside its colossal file size.

Those looking to join Cal Kestis and the Mantis crew on their next adventure will need to clear some hard drive space to accommodate the whopping 155 GB file size.

This puts Jedi: Survivor on par with the likes of Red Dead Redemption 2 which demands 150 GB of available space for its vast open world and incredible level of detail.

Jedi: Survivor's predecessor, Jedi: Fallen Order, also requires significantly less at just 55 GB, a whole 100 GB less than the sequel.
EA shared the PC minimum system requirements as 8 GB of RAM with a CPU equivalent of a Ryzen 5 1400 and a GPU equivalent of a Radeon RX 580. The recommended specs look for 16 GB of RAM, a Ryzen 5 5600X equivalent CPU, and a RX 6700 XT equivalent GPU.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

This video is pretty good. Lost of appearance customization (hair and beard among them), a bit more of an open-world feeling. Though one trepidation is that the minimap seems to be the same as the first game, at least from the sounds of it, but he doesn't go too deep into it. At least there's fast-travel this time around.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Downloaded on PS5. Should be playing in 1.5 hours. Apparently it opens up at midnight EST, nicely done!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Played for a couple hours and it is good, really good and very addictive. But some of the jumping is really frustrating, and is where I lost most of my hp. For the last 10 minutes I had to throttle it back to story mode just so I could go to bed at a decent hour.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I don't always watch video game trailers more than once, but when I do I prefer them to have Mark Hamill.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I played the first couple hours tonight, and it was...fine, I suppose.

After spending the past week with Horizon Forbidden West (which I think is one of the smoothest action games ever created) it felt kinda clunky. I'm also not overly enthused about the content mix that so far has been about 70% crawling up and down walls and wall-running over gaps, 20% combat, an 10% story. I feel far more like a Cirque du Soleil trapeze artist than I do a Jedi at this point. Good thing is that the combat does feel hugely satisfying and tons of fun when it happens.

It also suffers from the same issue that I had in the first game where the climb or swing or jump or squeeze through point can often be quite difficult to spot. There were a number of times in just the first couple hours where I had to spend 5-10 minutes swinging the camera back and forth and up and down until I finally spotted the exact ledge or grate I was supposed to grab onto. Really dragged down any sense of momentum.

Will reserve judgement until I get further in, but the initial impressions are rather meh, tbh.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My initial impressions:

The Good:

Varied combat and you feel like an actual Jedi.
As expected, force powers steal the show.
If you solve a puzzle it stays solved even if you die.
Shortcuts help you get back to where you were quickly.
Fast travel is great but...

The Not So Good:

Way too much jumping.
There are many areas you can't get to, so backtracking later is inevitable.
You can grab a bird to fly but it sinks so fast as to be almost worthless.
You fight a big monster that is guarding a chest, only to find a cosmetic reward.
Fast travel is sometimes grayed out, case in point:
Spoiler:
After beating a dark side Jedi, you can get to a save point but fast travel doesn't work. Instead you must literally fight upstream, and it took me over an hour just to get back :x
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Honestly, the near entire focus on platform jumping in these games (this and the previous Jedi, I'm speaking to) just totally ruins it for me. I don't mind that people may enjoy platform games, but I wish someone would go back to making a fun Jedi game that wasn't.

I'm just done with it. I've been playing video games since Pong first came out - and I've just totally had my fill of this being any fun. There is some 'release' / 'feel-good' after you've gotten past some string of impossible parkour, but more often than not I'm just tense and pissed off during the moments before it, and so yeah - of course, it feels good to be past it - because it sucked.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jedi: Parkour might be a more apt title. There was one irritating combination where you had to do a double jump from a mount to a wire - to a wall run - to two pole swings - to another wall run - to another wire in order to reach a chest. The reward? A mullet hairstyle.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

On the one hand, I generally also REALLY dislike jumping (the right way, or die!) FPS games, but you guys have seen Jedi fight, correct? Especially Yoda. They jump and flip all over the place like college cheerleaders on coke.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:55 am On the one hand, I generally also REALLY dislike jumping (the right way, or die!) FPS games, but you guys have seen Jedi fight, correct? Especially Yoda. They jump and flip all over the place like college cheerleaders on coke.
Flipping and jumping during combat isn’t what bugs me. That part is actually kinda cool.

It’s that everything outside of combat - which feels like 60-70% of the game, so far - consists solely of Jedi parkour.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:29 am Jedi: Parkour might be a more apt title. There was one irritating combination where you had to do a double jump from a mount to a wire - to a wall run - to two pole swings - to another wall run - to another wire in order to reach a chest. The reward? A mullet hairstyle.
OMG, hard pass... :hand: that's insane
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:55 am On the one hand, I generally also REALLY dislike jumping (the right way, or die!) FPS games, but you guys have seen Jedi fight, correct? Especially Yoda. They jump and flip all over the place like college cheerleaders on coke.
Almost only yoda goes nuts with it. The others make some insane-distance leaps, yeah, and yes some very high jumps - and abilities to fall a little too far. But mostly I picture stoic walks with furious saber play, dashing into shadows, casual mind tricks, fast corridor running, and maybe a little physics-defying ship-to-ship jumping.
Holman

Post by Holman »

To be fair, the origins of the Jedi *are* in 1970s California.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It looks like Prince of Persia: Jedi Order. I don't hate the idea (there's a difference between jumping puzzles and games designed around parkour, ala Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider), but it wouldn't be my first choice, either.
Unagi wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:11 am I don't mind that people may enjoy platform games, but I wish someone would go back to making a fun Jedi game that wasn't.
I just wish that there were more Star Wars games that weren't Jedi games. Jedi are a tiny fraction of the universe.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:27 pm It looks like Prince of Persia: Jedi Order.
That’s a really good comparison, actually.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I am approaching 1/2 way through and am still addicted. I ran into a weird glitch where my stance was supposed to be double blade and it was only single, and all my skills were in double. So when I got the blaster I re-speced into that plus Confusion (which works like charm).

I don't care much about appearance, but I was on they way to see my main squeeze so I'm rocking a short beard and a mullet.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I almost quit last night. I was at a particularly aggravating jump where there was a platform, but the game would not let you grab it. I tried for about 30 minutes and even watched a walkthrough video. I was covered in sweat and actually sprained my leg from applying body english. I finally made it one time only to find there were 6 more difficult jumps after that.

Eventually I was able to complete that first jump about 1/4 of the time and made it to the next save point before collapsing in bed exhausted. What fun. :roll:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I was really looking forward to this game, but these reviews have me thinking twice. I don’t hate platformers, necessarily, but I do hate games that have lots of really finicky jumping puzzles you have to redo over and over again.

The first one - which I have been replaying in anticipation of getting Survivor - annoys me every now and again with some of the jumping (especially in situations where you’re sliding down an ice ramp and need to jump and grab a rope), but it was never so bad as to become overwhelming.

Sounds like maybe this one is worse.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm 14 hours in and have yet to find anything frustrating at all. I think they made the whole experience easier. For the record, I never play platformers. In this game they feel more like parkour puzzles to me. It's more about figuring out how you are supposed to proceed than in executing. The execution has been easy.

Maybe later I will come a back and say "Jaymann was right!" I have no idea how far behind him I am and I am afraid to even say because spoilers.

Ooh spoiler-free progress statement: I can pass through green gates!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:52 pm I'm 14 hours in and have yet to find anything frustrating at all. I think they made the whole experience easier. For the record, I never play platformers. In this game they feel more like parkour puzzles to me. It's more about figuring out how you are supposed to proceed than in executing. The execution has been easy.

Maybe later I will come a back and say "Jaymann was right!" I have no idea how far behind him I am and I am afraid to even say because spoilers.

Ooh spoiler-free progress statement: I can pass through green gates!
Then you got past my nemesis jump. My problem is bad control of the left joystick where micro-millimeter precision is required. I constantly come up short then overcompensate even worse.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:03 pm My problem is bad control of the left joystick where micro-millimeter precision is required. I constantly come up short then overcompensate even worse.
I don't think I've seen noticed that precise. I feel like I've always got room to spare. I guess I could just be getting really lucky a lot. The only time I've had to try more than three times is when I was trying to the wrong thing. I have no left joystick precision at all because my controller drift is basically non-stop. It makes the menus (and gardening) my true nemesis.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Tonight I had the most fun with the game so far. With some skills under my belt I went back to check out some formerly inaccessible areas. Somehow I made my way to an Imperial base I had no business exploring at this level. All the doors were locked but I sneaked up to the rafters and dropped a TIE fighter on them. Then confused one and they took each other out. Plus I now have the save point for future fast travel. Good times.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Unagi wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:33 am OMG, hard pass... :hand: that's insane
In the game's defense, it might be the easiest platforming ever created. It's easier than Dying Light, and that game was smooth as silk.

edit: At least its predecessor was.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Dude...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:26 am Enlarge Image
That's funny, I pictured something like that when Jaymann described the Mullet reward.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well I finished the game. Unfortunately no replay for me as the jumping was too frustrating. I already have an idea for the next installment:
Spoiler:
Kata grows up to become a Sith Lord.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finally got to a boss fight that was a little bit of a challenge. Of course that was because they wouldn't let me fight it my way. I imagine I am getting close to the end, but it could just be my imagination. I foolishly decided to advance the main story before going to get the next bounty and I have been locked into the story quest for a couple hours now. When the game says to check the progress on uhhh, a thing, on Jedha, know that that's going to lock you in for a good while.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:27 pm Jedi are a tiny fraction of the universe.
Lies. The universe shrinks and expands in direct proportion to the number of Jedis in it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished it up this morning. After a bunch of tries, just couldn't get phase 3 of the final boss right so dropped the difficulty and I am pretty sure I could have won with my eyes closed. A little disappointed in myself but that third phase is bs.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter