O, the weather outside is...

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: O, the weather outside is...

Post by Daehawk »

Its damn cold! I haven't been up this early in weeks and its COLD. 27 right now..was lower at 21.. Ive got a ride to town later so had to get up to be ready...but brrrrr.

Tonight is cold rain and winds up to 50mph.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We're expecting a nor'easter bringing 4-8" of snow (and up to a foot inland) Saturday night into Sunday. If it pans out, this will be our first snowfall of 4" or more in two years, so people are freaking out. I'm a bit worried that my newly arthritic hands won't be able to handle my snowblower, especially if it's the wet heart-attack snow that coastal storms usually bring. Went and filled up my gas can today anyway.

We are usually right on the rain/snow line. We might get several inches of heart-attack snow, or we might get mostly rain.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We're also expecting one of our typical winter events, a warm front followed immediately by a cold front. A slight chance of strong storms but otherwise significant rain and wind. Also, rather oddly, our last few winters have had us turning on the heat for only a few days at a time then back on with the AC. This winter has been cooler, we've had the heat on for about two weeks, with the outside air temps usually in the fifties and sixties with rare breaks into the seventies.

It's also been a pretty wet winter, odd since this is our dry time of year. The St Johns River is still pretty high. It is one of the slowest moving rivers on the continent, moving at only two-thirds of a mile an hour, rain dumped here takes two weeks to travel to the river's mouth at Jacksonville. So after a heavy day of rain, including to the counties south of us, could take a month for the river to lower its level.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So yesterday we had several hours of rain as a warm front passed us. Today the follow-up cold front went through, dropping more rain but in a shorter period of time. And we're expected to get more rain on Tuesday and then again Friday. So much for the dry season!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We have on The Weather Channel, watching the field reporters from the northeast standing in the snow :wink:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:06 pm So yesterday we had several hours of rain as a warm front passed us. Today the follow-up cold front went through, dropping more rain but in a shorter period of time. And we're expected to get more rain on Tuesday and then again Friday. So much for the dry season!
I had just enough time for a dip in the pool to remove all those nasty old skin cells. :lol: Meanwhile all the "real" senior citizens just lounged around on the pool deck feature of God's waiting room.

Enlarge Image
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My pool is at 68 degF right now thanks to days of cloud cover, it has to be in the seventies before I'll take a (quick) dip.

Meanwhile, Tuesday afternoon is looking to be nasty. Annoying, it's the day we've planned to go to Orlando for lunch and shopping. Ah, well, at least I'm not in Massachusetts :wink:

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We had only rain and wet snow overnight, so I thought I'd dodged the bullet this time. It continued snowing all day without sticking...up until about 2 hours ago, when the temperature started falling. Now there's enough out there that Imma have to clean it up. We might end up with 4" after all.

I'll wait until tomorrow since it's almost dark and still accumulating. Hope I won't be facing solid ice by morning.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We have a classic squall line moving through northern Florida right now, we should get hit late in the afternoon. Several counties actually cancelled school for the day. Biggest threat is high winds with possible tornadoes. Plagues of frogs and locusts might happen overnight :wink:
telcta

Post by telcta »

We got about 10” of snow Sunday and now we are expecting 3” of rain this evening and in the 50’s. This is going to be messy.

On the bright side, if the temperature was going to be freezing, that 3” of rain would be, what, like 3 feet of snow?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Supposed to get pounded with rain this afternoon and the rivers by my work are predicted to flood again by Thursday. On the bright side I took off Friday so I only need a boat for Thursday. ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We've been under a moderate to severe drought here in east TN for months now. This rain should really help. 3'+ over a few days now they say.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh, we've been getting dumped on the last several days. It's starting to look like the Winter Wonderland we were hoping to get for Christmas. Finally I'll be able to get some snowshoeing in.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

It's really windy today. Happens to be the day I decided to hang a new blind on the screened in porch. :lol:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And here comes the squall line. Ironically, for all the bad weather forecasts, that strong wind today is from the south bringing with it some warmth. In spite of the all day overcast, it's been warm enough to get my pool back up to 70 degF, my minimum for taking a dip :D

Enlarge Image
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

In the category of beautiful yet terrifying, here are some pressure cracks from a nearby lake.

https://www.sudbury.com/around-the-nort ... ks-8075160
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Increasing possibility of a big snow/ice storm in Portland this Friday and Saturday.

Time to strip the grocery stores of bananas and kale.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Snow Day!

local grade, middle, and highschools are closed tomorrow. No school Monday for MLK day. Kids are stoked
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:26 pm Snow Day!

local grade, middle, and highschools are closed tomorrow. No school Monday for MLK day. Kids are stoked
You guys are so lucky. When we get hurricane days the weather is usually too bad to even go outside :wink:
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We've got a Bomb Cyclone coming. 10"-14" of snow predicted by tomorrow afternoon THEN lake effect snow kicks off and that could dump another 6"-8" on Sunday.

Should be fun!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Chicago schools still open. I guess we're made of stronger stuff in the city. (Or we're supposed to get not quite as much snow since we're closer to the lake.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

WINDY. Sustained 20-30 with gusts 50 - 60.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Last night's weather said I'd be waking up to a couple of inches of snow.
This morning's window says I woke up to a couple of inches of rain.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Arctic system moving into Colorado, with highs in single digits and lows down to -12 by Sunday night. Mountains are getting a dump of snow, we could get a couple of inches. People will insist on going skiing anyway (holiday weekend and all), which means loads of accidents on the highway and lots of people ending up in the ER with frostbite.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:35 am

Chicago schools still open. I guess we're made of stronger stuff in the city. (Or we're supposed to get not quite as much snow since we're closer to the lake.)
Roads were a bit hairy this morning but traffic was minimal since I'm guessing at least half of Chicago kids didn't go to school. This afternoon should be fun.

In a stroke of luck, a friend of mine is playing at a bar 3 blocks from my house tonight so shouldn't have to go far all weekend.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We kept the oldest home because we didn't want to deal with his wheelchair in the snow. He normally busses, but he had telemed appointment this morning so we were going to have to drive him. The van is not fun in bad weather.

Twins went to school, and I took them during the worst part of the morning weather. Volvo handles the snow fine, though, and I agree the traffic was relatively light. It seems like we're at the rain portion of today's proceedings right now, and I'm guessing it'll be snowing again when I have to go pick up the twins.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

It's currently 17F outside and what seems like ice pellets keep hitting the window. It's also very windy and the >200' trees outside are swaying more than I'd like.

Kale and banana supplies are holding out so we're good for now.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Yesterday a warm front went through and the temps reached the low eighties. Our high for today however was set at 12:01am as a cold front hit overnight and we're back into the sixties. Monday and Tuesday are expected to be stormy followed by nights with the temps in the low fourties. This is all rather
un-Florida like for January.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It's 78 degrees out there now.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

In Sydney Australia.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Exodor wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:59 pm It's also very windy and the >200' trees outside are swaying more than I'd like.
It's scary things like that which motivated us to remove the big trees from our property. Actually the final trigger was when I was out mowing the lawn a couple of decades ago and a branch from one of our very tall pine trees broke off and hit the ground with a boom. I went over to it and tried to lift it and couldn't budge it at all, must have been at least a couple of hundred pounds :shock:. The trees were soon all gone after that.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

We had to have poplars on our property cut down several years ago. They were old and brittle, and the final straw was when one of them had nearly come down on our house. It shook the entire house when it came down, and we all wondered what the heck happened, only to find out it'd come within 8ft of the house.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Perfect for changing the oil and brushing some old rust off a wheel barrow then spraying some rust restorer on it.

Man, the Aldi was like God's waiting room today as they must have all rushed out for a bit of good weather. Aldi made a mistake replacing the small carts with huge carts. They should have kept both sizes. The way it is now with the huge carts you can hardly get around past the poor cart driver, the oblivious, and the errant children. :lol:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

It was -8 degrees this morning when I was shoveling the drive and walk. Oddly, it didn't feel that cold. But I was bundled up pretty well and moving. And I didn't hang out any longer than necessary.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The temp reached an unseasonable 60 degrees here today and we had another heavy rainstorm overnight. It's been a mild, wet month, as was December. Looks like we're going to get a spell of winter starting on Monday, though.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Come on down to Texas.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Currently 20, going to get down to the low negatives. We actually got snow last night - enough that there was a little left in the corners of the yard when I woke up this morning. That's the grand total snow for the year so far, and I don't think we got much more last year.

Winter isn't coming. Winter may have died enroute.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

We had about 8" of snow the past 2 days. Yesterday was most of it, it warmed to the mid-30's and became slush. Each shovelful had to have been at least 30 lbs. Too heavy for my 10 year old to deal with, I should have hired a roving band of teenagers offering to do it for $20. I'm just getting too old for that shit.

Had a few more inches of light stuff perched upon ice after the remains of the slush froze. It was 26 when I left for work, 16 when I got home. Supposed to get down to around -10 tonight with a high of -2 tomorrow with windchills in the -25 range. I volunteered my MiL to shovel the light stuff today, it was only partially done when i got home. Boy is she going to regret it tomorrow.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:13 pm Come on down to Texas.

Enlarge Image