O, the weather outside is...

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: O, the weather outside is...

Post by Kraken »

I understand that we've set a record for the number of days without a snowstorm of >4". It's been 715 days and counting. But it looks like that stretch of good luck will end on Tuesday. What started as a chance for 1-3" went to 4-8" yesterday and is now at 7-13" with 40mph wind gusts. Well, that's OK. I need to use my snowblower at least once so I can put it away with an empty gas tank.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Weather was perfect for an evening dip on Saturday after day three of suspension repairs. Took the day off today, and picked up another rental tool so I can go back and put proper torque on the inner tie rod which I already installed. Surprise, surprise Chyna parts aren't the same outer diameter where they thought it didn't matter unless you happen to rent your tools from Advanced Auto Parts. :roll: Then it's a no go, but the other parts places have rental tools that will work with the Chyna parts. :wink:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:23 pm I understand that we've set a record for the number of days without a snowstorm of >4". It's been 715 days and counting. But it looks like that stretch of good luck will end on Tuesday. What started as a chance for 1-3" went to 4-8" yesterday and is now at 7-13" with 40mph wind gusts. Well, that's OK. I need to use my snowblower at least once so I can put it away with an empty gas tank.
Was going to post this earlier but forgot, thankfully your post reminded me

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

em2nought wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:01 am Weather was perfect for an evening dip on Saturday after day three of suspension repairs.
I almost went into the pool today myself, as after weeks of pool temps in the sixties it has finally gotten up to 73 degF thanks to a day in the low eighties. Tomorrow we're looking at mid-eighties but then it will cool down again. So maybe tomorrow I'll splash around a bit as my pool flamingos miss me, or at least I'm sure they do :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:24 am
Kraken wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:23 pm I understand that we've set a record for the number of days without a snowstorm of >4". It's been 715 days and counting. But it looks like that stretch of good luck will end on Tuesday. What started as a chance for 1-3" went to 4-8" yesterday and is now at 7-13" with 40mph wind gusts. Well, that's OK. I need to use my snowblower at least once so I can put it away with an empty gas tank.
Was going to post this earlier but forgot, thankfully your post reminded me
We're getting epic rain. If it were 1.5 degrees C colder we'd be getting hammered.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Looks like we are back "down" to highs in the 40s for what should probably been the coldest bit of the year. I'll still be outside walking and doing hardcore cleaning where I can dump hard core cleaning waste water outside. I'm done trying to work on plumbing and will need to call in a plumber but I want the area they walk through clean enough to not be a total embarrassment. The house go out of hand during my nothing but work years and then even worse during my nearly a year of not being able to do much of anything but pace and watch TV. So soon I'll be off to the next major purchases thread. :(
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well, that fizzled. We got maybe an inch of slush, which is mostly gone already. Not only did I not need my snowblower...I didn't even need to shovel.
disarm

Post by disarm »

We got about 12" in northeast CT...just finished cleaning it all off my driveway. Fortunately, I had a short work day and now have the snowblowing out of the way in time to relax for the rest of the afternoon.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

7-8 inches here. I.thought it would be super heavy snow put it was pretty light which made cleaning it not so bad.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

We got 2 to 3 inches out of the storm yesterday. It looked really pretty coming down but was wet and slushy. This morning there is some left on roofs and the cars that didn't move but otherwise it's gone. It's still the third snowfall for Philly this winter.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It's been raining for more than 24 hours and is projected to rain another 18. It is a light drizzle at times but sometimes heavier. And of course it has saturated my septic drain field so I was out there this morning pumping out the drain line, not fun.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

February in Chicago.

We will maybe hit a high of 57 degrees tomorrow. 52 today.

Around here, a lot of people are wearing shorts.

It's funny how 50-60 degrees here, in the middle of winter feels so much warmer than, for example, a 60-degree day on spring break in Florida

I was reminded by Internet data that in 2017 we hit 70 degrees.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Looking like Hurricane season could be ugly... and the Oceanic ecosystems are showing signs of stress

You can see 2023 in the orange line below, the other gray lines being previous years. That solid black line is where we are so far in 2024—way, way above even 2023. While we’re nowhere near the Atlantic hurricane season yet—that runs from June 1 through the autumn—keep in mind that cyclones feed on warm ocean water, which could well stay anomalously hot in the coming months. Regardless, these surface temperature anomalies could be triggering major ecological problems already...

...the Atlantic Ocean has been boiling, as you can see in this map of January’s temperature anomalies relative to the mean between 1910 and 2009. “The Atlantic has been record-breakingly warm since early March of 2023,” says McNoldy. “It’s not even close. That’s kind of the head-scratcher: Will it ever be back to just normal record-breaking instead of record-crushing? It’s just kind of crazy.”

If you know that a warm ocean fuels Atlantic hurricanes, you might be wondering whether we’re now in danger of a cyclone forming in February. But worry not. “There are quite a few ingredients that hurricanes need, and warm ocean temperatures is just one of them,” says McNoldy. For one, the low wind shear that hurricanes require to form isn’t there yet. But, McNoldy adds, when those conditions do appear, they’ll take advantage of that warm ocean. “We actually did see that a year ago with two named storms, Brett and Cindy, both in June in the middle of the tropical East Atlantic, which is incredibly odd,” he says. “We were also looking at extremely warm ocean temperatures out there, where normally they would have been a little too cool.”

Last week, the US Climate Prediction Center put the odds of La Niña developing between June and August at 55 percent. Whereas El Niño tends to create wind shear in the Atlantic, which beats down hurricanes, La Niña reduces wind shear. “All other things being equal, La Niña acts to enhance Atlantic hurricane activity,”
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

How much rain fell in Florida this past weekend? Quite a lot:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A rare bird in the South Atlantic: Tropical Storm Akará

The only ocean basin on Earth that does not regularly see tropical cyclones develop is the South Atlantic, but it had a rare tropical storm form on Sunday night. Tropical Depression 01Q was designated by the Brazilian Navy Hydrographic Center at 7 a.m. EST Sunday and by 7 p.m., it had been upgraded to Tropical Storm Akará, with top sustained winds estimated at 40 mph and a central pressure of 1000 millibars. NOAA’s Office of Satellite and Product Operations was also tracking Akará and assigning Dvorak intensity ratings.

Although one or two subtropical storms typically form each year in the South Atlantic, Akará is the region’s first officially recognized tropical storm that has been named since Iba in 2019 and only the third one there since Anita in 2010.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Ah, just when I was thinking about doing some googling on Uruguay. :wink:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Aww. 40 mph winds. That's so cute.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

We might break 70 today... on February 27th... The literal coldest time of the year before weather gets unpredictable in March. If this continues to the weekend I suspect we are on the two week countdown until college campus COVID spread begins getting documented, expanding from there. That's about two weeks earlier than I would have expected, with St Pat's weekend being the marker for the previous four years.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

We had rain. Then it snowed briefly. Though it managed to drop over an inch in less than an hour. Clear at the moment.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

What’s behind this winter’s U.S. snow drought?
It’s not that the United States has been entirely bereft of snow during what’s likely to end up as the nation’s warmest winter on record. But for most of the traditionally snowy swaths from the northern Great Plains to the Northeast, there’s been a startling lack of winter storms in 2023-24. The result: widespread bare ground in midwinter and what could end up being some all-time lows for seasonal snowfall.

On top of that, there have been a couple of bizarre cases of extremely dry or wet snows, both of which threw monkey wrenches into the forecast and left many snow lovers crestfallen.

At weather.com, Jonathan Erdman pulled together some of the noteworthy seasonal stats for a February 23 writeup. Erdman noted that the average snow extent across the contiguous U.S. on that date was a paltry 17%. That’s well short of the average to date of 37%, and the lowest for any February 23 in satellite-derived data going back to 2004
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:09 pm We might break 70 today... on February 27th... The literal coldest time of the year before weather gets unpredictable in March. If this continues to the weekend I suspect we are on the two week countdown until college campus COVID spread begins getting documented, expanding from there. That's about two weeks earlier than I would have expected, with St Pat's weekend being the marker for the previous four years.
Yeah, we are at 73 today (supposed to inch up to 74), and then tonight we plummet down to 25.
We are back up to the low 60s by Saturday - and that should hold for about 3 days they say.

Some plants in the yard are starting to sprout their shoots up, convinced it's spring. I hope they survive March.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I thought my hyacinths were on drugs when they broke ground last week. Turns out they knew what they were doing.

Although it could still change, we're only at 9.7" of snow for this season, below even last year's 10.2". Normal is 49.2".
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

O, the weather outside is...frightful.

Got a bad storm front almost here. We knew about it days ago. Winds 40 - 60 mph and storms in it the front. Then right on its tail is a cold front. Its 72 degrees right now but right after the storm front its going to start to drop 20 degrees to about 49. Tonight it will be 29....it was 64 last night. It makes me think of The Day After Tomorrow lol. All this within the next hour.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Yesterday high was 76, wore shorts, This morning windchill was 10. In the meantime, it got stormy and tornadoey around here, I had to tell the girl driving my kids around to shelter until the tornado warning expired, then had her stay here until the storms moved east.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:15 pm Yesterday high was 76, wore shorts, This morning windchill was 10. In the meantime, it got stormy and tornadoey around here, I had to tell the girl driving my kids around to shelter until the tornado warning expired, then had her stay here until the storms moved east.
It was above 60 this morning when I got in my car to drive to redrun's at 0830. It was 20 and I was way under dressed thirty minutes later when I got out of my car at his place at 0900.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The last few days have been brutal. On Tuesday, it was feeling like the first Spring day, enough to start thinking that it might be the start of our last of our winter actvities. But that night, we had a fairly lengthy thunderstorm, and the following day we had a flash freeze and quite a lot of snow dumped on us, enough for the area to be declared a significant weather event. The temp went down to -28C with the windchill. Had to do a few errands yesterday, and walking outside against the wind was hurting my face.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I was thinking about trying to go to Tahoe for some skiing this weekend.

Up to 12 feet of snow and blizzard conditions expected.

Ok, staying home!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Fun Surf Report from around 10 years ago:

Sounds like good advice ;)

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

We are expected to break record highs in Chicago, tomorrow. Sunday is supposed to be warmer.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:12 pm We are expected to break record highs in Chicago, tomorrow. Sunday is supposed to be warmer.
This whiplash bullshit sucks. I'm fine with any of the weather we've had this week, but not all of it at once.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, for us it's been in the opposite end of the spectrum. We're actually experiencing some of our coldest days this winter. Schools were closed two days ago due to the storm , and they don't do so unless it's warranted. Further up north, they even had a highway closed due to poor conditions.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, the kicker with this flash freeze was that it was preceded by a melt and rain, so there was a lot of water on the ground. I guess we're lucky that the transition from warm/wet to severe cold was so sharp that there was no period of freezing rain to complicate things.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:24 pm I was thinking about trying to go to Tahoe for some skiing this weekend.

Ok, staying home!
Yay fresh powder every minute!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:47 pm Yeah, the kicker with this flash freeze was that it was preceded by a melt and rain, so there was a lot of water on the ground. I guess we're lucky that the transition from warm/wet to severe cold was so sharp that there was no period of freezing rain to complicate things.

Enlarge Image
Yeah, with all the rain we had that night via the thunderstorm, I was worried that we'd have freezing rain.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

At this rate, my MiL will never learn to shovel snow.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:24 pm I was thinking about trying to go to Tahoe for some skiing this weekend.

Ok, staying home!
Gusts up to 190mph :shock:

That's well above Cat 5 hurricane speeds.

https://www.foxweather.com/weather-news ... nter-storm
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats Fox for ya..liars :P
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Last month was the first February in history that didn't have a single day with a high temp below freezing. It was also abnormally dry, after record-wet January and December. Now we're having a run of normal spring rain and temperatures...about a month earlier than we should be. It was a short, mild winter.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

was actually snowing here in Seattle just now! that's an extremely rare event in March