RFK for President

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: RFK for President

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:17 pm And what's more, it only matters what maybe 100,000 people in a handful of states think.
To be fair to em2 (why?), the original comment seemed to be more that half of the people in the US have ideas that we (OO) don't take into account, and that we're blind because of it. He'd be right if we were actually unaware of those numbers and views, but we're not. We're well aware. We have looked at those ideas, and the claims made by those who hold them, and found them wanting. Many of them we've found to be unworthy of actually engaging with. Anti-vax, anti-science, racism, election denial, conspiracy theories - none of them are worth the pixels they're printed on. They're not based on reason, so reasonable discussion is impossible. They're not based on evidence or facts, so evidence and facts are irrelevant. They're willful delusion, and there's no counter-argument to them that won't be ignored (Fake news! Deep state! Q said so!), so other than trying to spread good information to keep them from spreading, why would we treat them seriously, except as a threat?

Most of the holders of those views just don't make any difference when it comes to voting (as you said.) I know that I've only had one election in the last twenty years where the candidate I voted for actually won. In that, my vote - and my opinion - don't matter. I'll never shift the balance away from the rednecks, the racists, and the people who want to roll things back to the 1950s.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I was speaking of presidential elections, where the Electoral College makes almost all states uncontested. Our opinions matter more in state and local elections, although gerrymandering suppresses them even there. In your state the red team is always going to win. In my state the blue team has a solid lock, although my town splits 50/50. We have to be vigilant at the local level, where the minority party is making a concerted effort to take over school boards. IDK if the blue team is doing the same in red states. Very few voters who aren't parents of young children pay any attention to school boards, so they're vulnerable.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Beyond the politics, I don't vote for bad people. I wouldn't let someone under 91 felony charges mow my grass. And if somehow, throughout all this, you don't believe Trump is a bad person then you haven't been paying attention for the last 40 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:39 am Biden has actually done more for me personally by accident
Trump did less for you on purpose. :lol:
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Exodor wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:07 pm
em2nought wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:39 am nobody knows who is actually running the show right now. It ain't Biden.
There isn't a :roll: big enough in the world.
I actually like the Right's "Biden is a drooling dementia zombie" meme because of the shock of its refutation every time he gives a public appearance. He's been out there doing events and giving speeches in more than eight states since his State of the Union triumph, and the best Fox and Newsmax can do is find clips demonstrating his well-known tendency to stutter.

Meanwhile, Trump bounces between all-caps incoherence on Truth Social, insisting over and over again that he beat Obama in 2016, and just stopping sentences in the middle because he can't parse the teleprompter or pronounce a three-syllable word.

I assume Trump will skip any scheduled debates because he can no longer hack it. It will be fun to see Biden fielding questions next to an empty podium.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think Trump is stuck in a bit of a lose-lose situation. Getting him in front of people to remind them of just how awful he is isn't a great strategy (hence his disappearance from primary debates), but staying in the shadows during a tightly contested presidential campaign isn't sustainable either.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

RFK Jr. argues that Biden is a bigger threat to democracy than Trump.
“I can make the argument that President Biden is the much worse threat to democracy, and the reason for that is President Biden is the first candidate in history – the first president in history that has used the federal agencies to censor political speech, so to censor his opponent,” he said.

Kennedy pointed to his removal from social media platforms, which he attributes to pressure from the Biden administration, as evidence of the president’s efforts to censor political speech.

Kennedy’s Instagram account was suspended in 2021 “for repeatedly sharing debunked claims about the coronavirus or vaccines” but was reinstated last year shortly after he announced his presidential campaign. Meta, Instagram’s parent company, cited his White House bid as the reason for restoring Kennedy’s account in a statement.

In December, the Supreme Court blocked Kennedy from joining a challenge to a case brought by the Missouri and Louisiana’s attorneys general concerning the Biden administration’s communications with social media companies about posts the government views as disinformation. Kennedy currently has a similar case pending in a lower court.

Kennedy, who has made freedom of speech issues a central focus of his campaign, testified last year before the House Judiciary’s subcommittee on the weaponization of the federal government. Kennedy was invited by House Republicans to speak as part of their investigation into alleged censorship against conservatives at social media companies.

Kennedy said that while he believes Biden and Trump are both ill-suited to be reelected in November, he does not believe rhetoric suggesting either candidate would “destroy democracy.

He added that if he had to label one a greater threat to democracy than the other, he’d choose Biden because he feels the president has been “weaponizing the federal agencies” against his opponents.

The independent candidate acknowledged that Trump’s attempt to overthrow the results of the 2020 presidential election “clearly is a threat to democracy,” but maintained his belief that Biden is the greater threat.

“I think that is a threat to democracy, (Trump) overthrowing — trying to overthrow the election clearly is threat to democracy,” Kennedy said. “But the question was, who is a worse threat to democracy? And what I would say is … I’m not going to answer that question. But I can argue that President Biden is because the First Amendment, Erin, is the most important.”

“I’m not going to defend President Trump on that, and it was appalling. And there’s many things that President Trump has done that that are appalling,” he added.
Biden is bigger threat to democracy than Trump because RFK Jr. was suspended by private companies?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Conspiratorial thinking metastasizes.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I know it's too early for polling, but first I'm seeing an article about three data points in the last month, showing how RFK impacts the result:
A Quinnipiac University survey from last month (3/27/24) showed Biden ahead by 3 points in a head-to-head against Trump. But with Kennedy in the mix, Trump took the lead by 1 percentage point.

A similar outcome was seen in a Reuters/Ipsos poll earlier last month (3/7 - 3/13/24), which showed Biden leading Trump by 3 points but then trailing Trump by 1 point when Kennedy was added to the mix.

A HarrisX/Forbes poll, meanwhile, from later last month (3/25/24), showed Trump leading Biden by 3 points in a head-to-head contest. But Trump also led the pack by 3 percentage points after being added by Kennedy, Cornnell West and Jill Stein.
I think it fits with what I have a hazy recollection of hearing/seeing over the weekend - that if the election were to happen right now, all data is pointing to TFG - which is astounding. Astounding.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm so sick of republicans bitching that social media is unfair to them. Try going on truth social and posting anything negative about Trump. Bunch of entitled snowflakes, the lot of them.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

But it's right in their investment statements to the SEC that Trump Media and its first enterprise, Truth Social, exists to be a political free speech platform. I'm sure shitposting and posting protests against TFG and GOP won't get drowned out. I mean they also state that they don't use the same protections as other social media and the CEO is a paragon of equally protected political speech, Devin Nunez. I'm sure he'll protect your speech.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would need assurances from Nunes' cow first.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I saw this joker on Bill Maher, who was actually trying to promote him. To me he came off as a stuttering, barely comprehensible idiot who smoked his voice away. By comparison Biden is a master orator.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:42 pm I saw this joker on Bill Maher, who was actually trying to promote him. To me he came off as a stuttering, barely comprehensible idiot who smoked his voice away. By comparison Biden is a master orator.
viewtopic.php?p=3030815#p3030815
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:12 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:42 pm I saw this joker on Bill Maher, who was actually trying to promote him. To me he came off as a stuttering, barely comprehensible idiot who smoked his voice away. By comparison Biden is a master orator.
viewtopic.php?p=3030815#p3030815
I knew it was something like that. Just giving my impressions of seeing his act live.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter