Trump’s Civil Case - Jean Carroll

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: Trump’s Civil Case - Jean Carroll

Post by Holman »

There's a theory that Trump's recent behavior (hourly defaming EJC on social media during his trial for defaming EJC) was designed to produce a higher fine because Trump can use that judgment in his campaign, and because he expects that he'll never actually pay it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hmmm

Why the numbers in the Carroll verdict are smart.
1. He already owed her $5 million.
2. Add today, he owes $88.3 million.

He testified under oath that he has $400 mill in cash on hand. If he files for bankruptcy to dodge this, he will be faced with "Is this perjury or is it bankruptcy fraud?" The number is not off the charts for someone who supposedly has $400 million on hand. Based on what he said, it hurts but is reasonable given his own statements. So an appeals court knockdown is very unlikely. Punitive are well within reasonable
Maybe next year, maybe no go
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:46 pm There's a theory that Trump's recent behavior (hourly defaming EJC on social media during his trial for defaming EJC) was designed to produce a higher fine because Trump can use that judgment in his campaign, and because he expects that he'll never actually pay it.
Because he thinks he’ll be president and Seal Team 6 is just a phone call away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We're dealing with someone who thrives in the court of public opinion when he's punished. I have no idea how we can survive Trump as he's just going to be stronger after this with his ignorant cultists and those who are now afraid of what they'll do. This may tip the election in his direction. I hate that I think that, but I do. I never, in a million years, thought I'd be living in a world where people were so goddamn stupid and gullible that they'd think Trump was a fucking genius and a devout man of God. But here we are. We're living in the dumbest of times.
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

He has to put it in an appeals bond, doesn't he? Assuming he's going to appeal lol
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From what I understand, yes - he'd have to post the entirety of that $83.5 million in cash before being able to appeal the decision.

EDIT: Or

Enlarge Image
Holman

Post by Holman »

Also, the whole case is about how he has been determined to be an actual rapist.

Debating the financial penalty only throws that legally established fact back into the headlines (if the headlines know what they're doing).
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Kurth wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:27 pm Well, $83M going to E Jean Carroll is $83M not going to Trump’s campaign. Now, if the verdict is a catalyst for Trump raising even more money, that would be unfortunate.
I think Jean Carroll is going to get more from Trump since Trump can't stop being himself. He'll try to smear her again in public and get sued for more.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He’ll pardon himself and have the Supreme Court overrule it early next year.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'd say that's not legally possible, but it's almost February of an election year and he's the presumptive GOP candidate; nothing matters anymore.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:12 am He’ll pardon himself and have the Supreme Court overrule it early next year.
It's a civil suit, there's no conviction to be pardoned.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:56 pm Also, the whole case is about how he has been determined to be an actual rapist.
Why aren't his opponents hammering this point with Thor's Hammer? Again, any woman who would vote for this creep is clinically insane.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

It’s being hammered: most supporters believe him when he says he doesn’t know her.

Many of his supporters are trapped in a prosperity gospel trap which is a hallmark of evangelical churches. So it how rich the lower is that matters not what he does. And an attack on him is an attack on them.

If that sounds like a cult well it is.

It’s entirely possible they’ll pay his penalty.

And certainly if trump wins the next election the judge, jurors and Carroll are going to be at great risk- certainly greater than they are now.

I also hope the jurors names don’t get leaked.

Anyhow this is complete “electoral interference” and “fraud” clearly the only solution is to vote for Trump early and often!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Grifman wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:48 am
hepcat wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:12 am He’ll pardon himself and have the Supreme Court overrule it early next year.
It's a civil suit, there's no conviction to be pardoned.
I was just pointing out he'll be above the law soon.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:50 amAgain, any woman who would vote for this creep is clinically insane.
Recall that this has been the case since before his first election, based on his own words.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:46 pm There's a theory that Trump's recent behavior (hourly defaming EJC on social media during his trial for defaming EJC) was designed to produce a higher fine because Trump can use that judgment in his campaign, and because he expects that he'll never actually pay it.
Yep. He was going to lose anyway, might as well lose bigly and cash in on the martyr credits with his base. He was definitely campaigning while in the courtroom and is probably laughing at the verdict.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I seriously doubt he's laughing. I'd guess shitting his pants.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:09 pm I seriously doubt he's laughing. I'd guess shitting his pants.
Judging by stories of diapers and odors, that goes without saying and has no bearing on whether he's laughing or raging about the case. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:09 pm I seriously doubt he's laughing. I'd guess shitting his pants.
Why? The amount?

As mentioned previously, the cult of Trump will gladly donate for their savior/martyr. I think this is nothing, financially, for a master grifter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks to the Witch Hunt I don't have enough to make sure I win BIGLY! If we let them get away with this THEY WILL REPLACE YOUR BABIES WITH WOKE TRANS IMMIGRANTS and sell everything we have to the CHINA!
A few days later and he has several times what he lost.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:39 pm
Why? The amount?

As mentioned previously, the cult of Trump will gladly donate for their savior/martyr. I think this is nothing, financially, for a master grifter.
1. He doesn't laugh
2. He doesn't like to lose
3. $83M is a lot for someone who pretends they are richer than they are. Even if it wasn't, giving it to someone else will infuriate him
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Even if his rubes MAGA faithful pay for it, it's still money not going towards his campaign. And that helps me sleep at night.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Drain'm dry.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

According to several sources, including Forbes, he’s worth about $2.6 billion. Which is far below what he claims to be worth.

If he pays half the verdict and raises half from his MAGA zombies, it stings a little, but not the ZOMG, Yes!! penalty that the common man thinks it is.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It's going to look even smaller in the next week or two.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:54 pm It's going to look even smaller in the next week or two.
I'm missing your implication here.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:23 pm According to several sources, including Forbes, he’s worth about $2.6 billion. Which is far below what he claims to be worth.

If he pays half the verdict and raises half from his MAGA zombies, it stings a little, but not the ZOMG, Yes!! penalty that the common man thinks it is.
That would be < 2% of his net worth if that scenario is correct. Not even a sting.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, I suspect the most pain here is in the blow to his ego (losing), not his wallet.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I assume that most of his worth is in his branding. As we've seen time and time again, he over values his assets, and tracking the net worth of someone not holding all of it in stocks of a publicly traded company can be difficult.

Honestly I'd be shocked to learn he's worth even 1 billion, particularly if his liabilities are taking into account.

In any case, I'm sure the outcome is satisfactory to Carroll, who plans on using the money to piss off Drumpf.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:35 am Honestly I'd be shocked to learn he's worth even 1 billion, particularly if his liabilities are taking into account.
According to several sources, including Forbes, he’s worth about $2.6 billion.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Interestingly, he’ll likely just write this off on his taxes as a business related loss (and Carroll will pay tax on 100% of the reward).
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:47 am

Yeah, that's what I was responding to. I don't believe it for 1 second.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And yet under oath he's testified to having $400 million in cash. So as I noted above he's in quite a position now if he tries to get out of paying her $84 million. If he tries to file for bankruptcy, was he lying under oath (he would never!) or has he been committing financial fraud? Maybe both. This week is going to be great!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:47 am
GreenGoo wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:35 am Honestly I'd be shocked to learn he's worth even 1 billion, particularly if his liabilities are taking into account.
Which issue? It varies for each one. :wink:
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:09 pm And yet under oath he's testified to having $400 million in cash. So as I noted above he's in quite a position now if he tries to get out of paying her $84 million. If he tries to file for bankruptcy, was he lying under oath (he would never!) or has he been committing financial fraud? Maybe both. This week is going to be great!
Unfortunately he probably also has functional access to billions in cash between a MAGA base that's eager to be grifted by him and assorted criminals, toadies, and autocrats willing to bet that he'll return to office in 2025.

That said, I'm happy to have some financial pressure put on him. I'm also curious to see whether Trump is capable of restraining himself enough to not defame or libel Carroll, and if not how many verdicts like this there will be in 2024.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:17 pm and if not how many verdicts like this there will be in 2024.
There's another one coming Thursday (I think) - different thread.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:17 pm Unfortunately he probably also has functional access to billions in cash between a MAGA base that's eager to be grifted by him and assorted criminals, toadies, and autocrats willing to bet that he'll return to office in 2025.
And don't forget the tens of dollars he made off the highly lucrative Trump NFT trading cards!

Enlarge Image
He won. Period.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

But, does he have the cognizance to stop defaming Jean Carroll? Or will there be another round?
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:17 pm
Unfortunately he probably also has functional access to billions in cash between a MAGA base that's eager to be grifted by him and assorted criminals, toadies, and autocrats willing to bet that he'll return to office in 2025.

That said, I'm happy to have some financial pressure put on him. I'm also curious to see whether Trump is capable of restraining himself enough to not defame or libel Carroll, and if not how many verdicts like this there will be in 2024.
This is why I think most of his worth is in his "brand". There is no shortage of people willing to throw money at him. That's not the same thing as having assets in excess of 2 billion dollars though (imo).

He absolutely will not declare bankruptcy to get out of paying this judgment. At worst he'll have to send out another fund raising email. Hell, a significant part of his net worthy is likely from stolen campaign funds at this point.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Unagi wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:25 am
Alefroth wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:54 pm It's going to look even smaller in the next week or two.
I'm missing your implication here.
We should be getting the ruling in his NYC fraud trial which will probably be ~$350M.