[Book] The Doors of Stone

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

[Book] The Doors of Stone

Post by Jaymann »

Patrick Rothfuss Confirms ‘The Doors of Stone’ Release Date for Summer 2023...Link.

It's a 4/18/23 article but I don't see anything new. Personally, I will believe it when I see it.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Re: [Book] The Doors of Stone

Post by McNutt »

Is it supposed to really conclude the series? There's still a hell of a lot to cover.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

McNutt wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:51 pm Is it supposed to really conclude the series? There's still a hell of a lot to cover.
Probably not convincingly. At this point I would settle for cheesy fan fiction.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I will believe this when I see it. Also I will wait until someone reads it, and without spoilers, can tell me that it is in fact the final book.

If it is, and is worth reading, I will have to re-read the first two books. And while I loved the first book I didn’t care for the second.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I liked the second book fine. The problem was I liked the first book a lot more. It was like going from Godfather II to Godfather III.
Last edited by McNutt on Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Is this a book about the architecture of the Flintstones' hometown?
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

They were from Bedrock.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Twitch, twitch
Spoiler:
Last edited by hepcat on Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

On a reread I came to like The Wise Man's Fear more but still think it's nowhere near as good as The Name of the Wind. I also expected the Kvothe backstory part to be further along as it seems like there's a lot more to get him to his current situation in one book.

Fingers crossed this one winds up being good. I swore I had read somewhere that this would end his backstory but there might be more books in the same world with or without Kvothe. No clue if that's still in the cards.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daveman wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:19 pm On a reread I came to like The Wise Man's Fear more but still think it's nowhere near as good as The Name of the Wind. I also expected the Kvothe backstory part to be further along as it seems like there's a lot more to get him to his current situation in one book.

Fingers crossed this one winds up being good. I swore I had read somewhere that this would end his backstory but there might be more books in the same world with or without Kvothe. No clue if that's still in the cards.
I liked the second book fine, but it was more like a series of short-stories centered on Kvothe than a coherent narrative, and it didn't cover nearly as much ground as it needed to for this to be a trilogy. So we'll see how he handles that for the third book.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fae ex machina.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:24 am Fae ex machina.
Speaking as an overconfident random guy who has never written a single novel, I'd say that what he should do is have this third book catch Kvothe up through the present, and then write an additional 1 - 3 books taking Kvothe into the future.
Black Lives Matter.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

After checking over that linked article there is really nothing there but Rothfuss saying it might come out this year. I think he has said that in prior years.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

He is allegedly confirming summer 2023:
Fans of best-selling author Patrick Rothfuss have been eagerly awaiting news of his highly anticipated novel, “The Doors of Stone.” And the wait is finally over! Rothfuss has officially announced that the book will be released in the summer of 2023, much to the delight of his dedicated readers.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:24 pm He is allegedly confirming summer 2023:
Fans of best-selling author Patrick Rothfuss have been eagerly awaiting news of his highly anticipated novel, “The Doors of Stone.” And the wait is finally over! Rothfuss has officially announced that the book will be released in the summer of 2023, much to the delight of his dedicated readers.
But he has said things like that before. Now when book sellers start excepting pre-orders I might believe it.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I loved the 1st book and finished the 2nd book. I felt the time spent in Faery needed to be cut by a couple of hundred pages. I'll expect I'll read this, but I may wait for some reviews if it checks in at 800 pages plus...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

One reason I question this report is that the book tubers have ignored it and normally they would be all over something like this.
Black Lives Matter
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:22 pm I felt the time spent in Faery needed to be cut by a couple of hundred pages.
I thought the time spent in Fae was fine, it was all the wandering through the woods before (and after) looking for the bandits that went on and on and on.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daveman wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:08 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:22 pm I felt the time spent in Faery needed to be cut by a couple of hundred pages.
I thought the time spent in Fae was fine, it was all the wandering through the woods before (and after) looking for the bandits that went on and on and on.
It's interesting, my bigger issue was the side quest to whatever that honor-bound realm was that he went to after the Fae and the bandits. It was an interesting story, but hard to see the value of including that vs. advancing the "main quest" line.

This is part of what I mean when I think that the second book was a fine collection of Kvothe short-stories, but didn't really do enough to advance the core of the story.
Black Lives Matter.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

New novella scheduled for November 2023. Link to his blog announcement.

The Narrow Road Between Desires

In a lot of ways, it’s going to be similar to The Slow Regard of Silent Things. It’s set in Temerant. It’s going to be illustrated by the fabulous Nate Taylor, and it centers on one of the secondary characters from the Kingkiller Chroniclers: Bast.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I like the character Bast, but I refuse to purchase any Rothfuss until DOS comes out.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

'The Slow Regard of Silent Things' was a library loan for me (as are most novellas). I'll do the same with this one but am, quite honestly, looking forward to a good story by a good author.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Narrow Road Between Desires is now out. Library sounds like a plan. It's not that the guy can't write, he just can't finish what he started.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter