[Film] The Marvels

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Film] The Marvels

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image

Release date: November 10, 2023
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Re: [Film] The Marvels

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can’t….I just can’t. I’m completely burned out on superhero films at this point. Unless they do something wildly different….which this does not appear to be doing. They’re like Transformer movies to me now.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I get that. I happen to like Ms. Marvel - Kamala Khan was (to my surprise) quite enjoyable. I also happen to like Captain Marvel, maybe because (similarly) I had no expectations going in.

Regardless, I will watch everything they release. To me, this is an amazing time to be a comic book fan. I really don't feel even remotely tired of it, which I know (again) isn't common.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s just that they’re all doing basically the same thing over and over again.

I misspoke when I said I was burned out on superhero movies though. I’m just burned out on the big budget, franchise superhero films. The DC Animated films are still (mostly) fantastic. The Boys and Invincible are must see tv for me. I’ve sung the praises of Legion in the past too (man I miss that show). And I loved Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

But the big name stuff? It just feels like movies by committee. I can almost see the changes in scripts mid movie that were made after a focus group watched it.

I recently watched The Flash. It was just a mediocre film full of shitty CGI (seriously, that was some of the worst CGI I’ve even seen in a movie that wasn’t made by Asylum) and an attempt to cash in on the buzz word “multiverse”. But the DC Animated Flashpoint? Pure greatness.

So no, I don’t hate superhero films. I’m just burned out on the lack of creativity that I see now in the big budget ones. But I’d be happy to be proven wrong.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

While some Marvel movies play it safe, many have their own quirks. I’m hoping the Marvels will have its own voice like the series.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I really liked both Cap'n Marvel and Miss Marvel, so I'm looking forward to this.

And I'm honestly OK doing the same 2-hour thing once every six months.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I gave up on superheroes a few years ago and Wife never liked any of them very much. I might still watch one if it's on a service I already have and Wife is out of town, but as long as Disney owns Marvel I won't see any of those.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:54 pm I really liked both Cap'n Marvel and Miss Marvel, so I'm looking forward to this.
Same - Miss Marvel was one of the better Disney+ Marvel series.

For me it's not that I'm burned out on superhero movies it's that the quality has declined. I don't think I've really enjoyed a non-animated Marvel movie much since Endgame. Some of the D+ series have been fun (Loki was great, Hawkeye was surprisingly good) but the movies feel very samey and uninspired.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:54 pm I really liked both Cap'n Marvel and Miss Marvel, so I'm looking forward to this.
What I really want is a Cap'n Crunch movie.
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:11 pm I can’t….I just can’t. I’m completely burned out on superhero films at this point. Unless they do something wildly different….which this does not appear to be doing. They’re like Transformer movies to me now.
Same here, my excitement level for this movie is at a 0.0, I'll probably watch it once it hits Disney+, but no way I'm seeing it in the theater. My expectations are low.
FTE
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Exodor wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:09 am Same - Miss Marvel was one of the better Disney+ Marvel series.
I figured we should definitely watch it before this movie comes out (haven't had time yet but we got until November!)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

To me at this point Superhero movies are an occasion for a family trip to the theatre - entertaining enough to everyone, and a nice way to get out of the house. Not sure if I would be seeing many of them otherwise.
Black Lives Matter.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I wasn't a fan of Captain Marvel and Ms Marvel was okay. I haven't even watched Thor: Love and Thunder, the latest Antman, or even the last Shazam. I am excited to watch GotG 3, though. My kids and wife all loved the Marvel stuff but I'm having trouble getting them to watch any of that stuff lately. The last thing we watched was the Netflix Punisher series (a second watch for me). None of them finished Ms Marvel. I completely agree with Hepcat that they're rehashing the same formula over and over and over and over. That said I am certain that when Peacemaker S2 finally comes out we'll be watching.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I thought that trailer was very lackluster. I like the previous one more - the one that highlighted the 'freaky friday' aspect of the film.

Still, I'm looking forward to this movie because I like Kamala and Danvers and Rambeau. But I get the fatigue argument. I'm not even watching Secret Invasion at the moment. I think part of the problem is the lack of toys that Marvel currently has available to use. No Steve Rogers, no Iron Man, no Thor. NO FF, no X-men. Spiderman is the only A-list hero currently "around". So even when they're adapting popular Marvel stories like Secret Invasion, it's not the same without the major players. At least that's my view.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:51 pm I recently watched The Flash. It was just a mediocre film full of shitty CGI (seriously, that was some of the worst CGI I’ve even seen in a movie that wasn’t made by Asylum) and an attempt to cash in on the buzz word “multiverse”. But the DC Animated Flashpoint? Pure greatness.
I make no comment on the movie but if I remember my comic book history correctly, Flash was one of the first to travel to different dimensions and run into his counter-parts.

But that was comic books. Looks like Flash was too slow and was beaten to the punch regarding transdimensional movies.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:48 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:51 pm I recently watched The Flash. It was just a mediocre film full of shitty CGI (seriously, that was some of the worst CGI I’ve even seen in a movie that wasn’t made by Asylum) and an attempt to cash in on the buzz word “multiverse”. But the DC Animated Flashpoint? Pure greatness.
I make no comment on the movie but if I remember my comic book history correctly, Flash was one of the first to travel to different dimensions and run into his counter-parts.

But that was comic books. Looks like Flash was too slow and was beaten to the punch regarding transdimensional movies.
I think part of the problem is that The Flash was in production for what, eight years or so in various stages? Might have wound up being more novel if the production hadn't been a disaster for so many reasons.
Black Lives Matter.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Hepcat is my soulmate.

When I saw the title of the thread on the main page I almost went blind from rolling my eyes so hard.

I would ask why, but sheep like Smoove keep funding this shite.
18-1™ & 2-0
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gilraen wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:29 am
Exodor wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:09 am Same - Miss Marvel was one of the better Disney+ Marvel series.
I figured we should definitely watch it before this movie comes out (haven't had time yet but we got until November!)
Absolutely. From what I can tell, it could also have some ties to Wandavision if you haven't seen that (at the very least, one of the major characters in The Marvels was established in that show, although the character was technically introduced in Captain Marvel.)

As an aside, both The Marvels and Secret Invasion are direct follow-ups to Captain Marvel (each building on a completely different element of the film almost 30 years later.)
GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:48 pm I make no comment on the movie but if I remember my comic book history correctly, Flash was one of the first to travel to different dimensions and run into his counter-parts.
You do. A Flash of Two Worlds, 1961. It led to DC creating two universes - one with the classic characters (Jay Garrick, Alan Scott, etc.), and one with the newer versions. It all grew from there.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Trent Steel wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:21 pm I would ask why, but sheep like Smoove keep funding this shite.
The last time I saw a Marvel movie in the theater was 2014. But this? I could watch this all day.

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trent Steel wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:21 pm
I would ask why, but sheep like Smoove keep funding this shite.
When Jersey fights Jersey bystanders get hurt.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

(Because some of us enjoy them.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Who doesn't like bystanders?
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:40 pm Who doesn't like bystanders?
Don't worry. They're just AI constructs of people who sold their faces for beer money.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Where do these beer money for faces folks hang out? Asking for a friend.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Background Actors' Club in Reseda.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New trailer, now with more Michael Diamond

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If it were allowed by the more 'cultured' among us, I'd be looking forward to this one.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If I go back and search your posting history, am I going to find zero instances of you disliking something? :P
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:41 pm If I go back and search your posting history, am I going to find zero instances of you disliking something? :P

You can find piles of stuff that I dislike, including plenty of DC and Marvel stuff. ;)

Reminder: I have no sarcasm meter. It's permanently at 0. Often, when I don't understand what a question is getting at, it's intended as sarcasm. But, with the busted meter, I can never be sure, so I tend to treat them as serious out of an abundance of caution.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You put cultured in quotation marks in the post I replied to. I suspect you understand sarcasm more than you let on. :wink:

My point is that no one here doesn’t want you to dislike this because they do. Some of us are just burnt out a bit. If you’re looking forward to this and it makes you happy, then don’t worry about what others are saying. I’m happy you’re excited for it. I’m sure there will be stuff I’m excited for that you won’t be. A Paste Pot Pete film, for instance.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:24 am You put cultured in quotation marks in the post I replied to. I suspect you understand sarcasm more than you let on. :wink:
Oh, I understand sarcasm, and I am more than capable of using sarcasm. I am just very poor at recognizing sarcasm from others, the same way I can't tell the difference between a friendly joke and a hostile insult.

To simplify it, I have trouble seeing past the literal meaning of anything (and it is twice as bad in person.)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's out on Friday (11/10/23); Here's the final trailer

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I'm pretty excited for this movie. I like Captain Marvel, I like Ms Marvel series, I liked the Monia Rambeu portion of Wanda Vision. I don't know how to spell Rambuu.

This one is going to get my but into the theater.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Captain Marvel needs two sidekicks like Superman needs the Justice League.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:24 pm Captain Marvel needs two sidekicks like Superman needs the Justice League.
They may seem kind of sidekick-y now, but I think longer term they are/were extremely powerful in the comics, at least. I didn’t follow them that much, but I recall Monica as Photon could turn into and control anything in the EM spectrum, so basically she can fly/move at the speed of light and blast you with ANY form of radiation. Hard to tell what they are going to do with her here. Kamala they also seem to have altered quite a bit, she could morph into any shape or something like that in the comics. In the tv series she seems to be able to create anything she can imagine which you could also argue is pretty impressive.

- - -

As far as the movie, I’m very curious what the “moment that changes everything” is - could we finally be getting the intro to mutants and pathway to X-Men? They already hinted that Kamala is a mutant so…
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Man, trailers have gotten out of control these days. They are way too long, and give too much away IMO. Not to mention there’s usually more than one, overlong, spoilery “trailer”. :P
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's a reason I only post the first one.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Gah, I loved Ms Marvel, I liked Rambeau, and I like Captain Marvel much more than most people did. I'm dead broke this month, though, and probably next month (the new budget began this week.) :grund:

I could probably pull it off if I snuck off without the kids and saw it alone and skipped all drinks and snacks, but I'd feel horribly guilty about it. :think: No, I'd feel horribly guilty about it.

:think:
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I skipped out of the most recent trailer when it seemed like it was going to get too spoilery for my taste. The first part of that trailer, though... "Remember the Avengers? You loved those guys! This is going to be like the Avengers, we promise!" Comes across a little thirsty.