NCAA Football 2023

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: NCAA Football 2023

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:39 pm Jed Fisch from AZ is headed to Washington.

Can’t say I’m too sad about that. AZ is a conference for that was definitely on the rise under Fisch. This will set them back for sure.

And I don’t give a crap what happens to WA now that they’re in the B1G.
UofA is also in a massive financial hole as an entire University.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:36 pm Arizona hired the San Jose State coach. He had interviewed for the job last time.

I see it was reported that Harbaugh has interviewed for the Chargers job, along with several others.
Read earlier that Noah Fifita is staying at AZ. That's a HUGE win for them.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:46 pm
Scuzz wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:36 pm Arizona hired the San Jose State coach. He had interviewed for the job last time.

I see it was reported that Harbaugh has interviewed for the Chargers job, along with several others.
It's about time Brent Brennan got promoted out of SJSU.

I still expect Harbaugh to stay at Michigan. It's a better gig, if he can color between the lines.
Depends on how one defines "better" I guess. I don't know anyone that would consider going from college to the NFL anything but a step up, if only in prestige and professionalism.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:03 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:46 pm

It's about time Brent Brennan got promoted out of SJSU.

I still expect Harbaugh to stay at Michigan. It's a better gig, if he can color between the lines.
Depends on how one defines "better" I guess. I don't know anyone that would consider going from college to the NFL anything but a step up, if only in prestige and professionalism.
Uh, Nick Saban? ;)

Harbaugh makes a base of over $8m, and got about another $3.2m in bonuses. That puts him in the top 5 of NFL head coaches (higher now that Belichick retired). He will always have better players than the competition save for maybe 1 game, can tailor most of his schedule for easy wins, and be much more in charge of a team/the whole program (no GM/Owner to deal with) in College. Oh, and he's pretty much guaranteed a playoff berth.

Plus, how many NFL Coaches have the prestige of Saban? Belichick, who just got fired is just about it. Not even Reid/Tomlin/John Harbaugh were close, and the last Chargers HC who could even be named is Coryell - a top College Job is better than most NFL jobs.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:46 pm if he can color between the lines.
This is not a saying I am familiar with. Am I expected to read inside the lines and figure it out?
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

It also depends on who you want to work with. Some coaches prefer college kids to pro’s and GM’s and owners.

You can turn a college program around faster as a coach.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Like I said, "if only for prestige and professionalism". The NFL is the next step up from college - it's the elite of the elite. If you want to argue that, I will disengage. :D

I get that the Sabans and the Harbaughs are special, though, which is probably where you are arguing, while I am arguing more generally (college ball vs NFL). College coaches still have to deal with large boosters, AD's, etc. so while the "answering to" entities may have different names, there will always be SOMEone to answer to. Again, Sabans and Harbaughs probably have it easier here than others since they can just say "scoreboard" or something if any shit is given.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:28 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:46 pm if he can color between the lines.
This is not a saying I am familiar with. Am I expected to read inside the lines and figure it out?
Referring to his issues with sign stealing and recruiting during Covid as examples of not staying within the lines, FWIW.

tho the NFL does have its own lines one needs to stay within e.g. Salary Cap

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:36 pm Like I said, "if only for prestige and professionalism". The NFL is the next step up from college - it's the elite of the elite. If you want to argue that, I will disengage. :D

I get that the Sabans and the Harbaughs are special, though, which is probably where you are arguing, while I am arguing more generally (college ball vs NFL). College coaches still have to deal with large boosters, AD's, etc. so while the "answering to" entities may have different names, there will always be SOMEone to answer to. Again, Sabans and Harbaughs probably have it easier here than others since they can just say "scoreboard" or something if any shit is given.
There is a big difference between a AD and a pro GM. In college you can in effect create your own roster every year if you want, as long as you win. The boosters are happy as long as you win. But owners will fire even coaches that win.

I think the upper tier college coach does just as well as the pro coach now, the gap in money and prestige has narrowed.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:07 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:36 pm Like I said, "if only for prestige and professionalism". The NFL is the next step up from college - it's the elite of the elite. If you want to argue that, I will disengage. :D

There is a big difference between a AD and a pro GM. In college you can in effect create your own roster every year if you want, as long as you win. The boosters are happy as long as you win. But owners will fire even coaches that win.

I think the upper tier college coach does just as well as the pro coach now, the gap in money and prestige has narrowed.
Never mentioned the money, but the prestige I will argue.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Harbaugh was a good NFL QB, so that still makes me think he wants to win an NFL title as his brother has already done.

I still remember a Monday Night game when he was the starting QB for the Chicago Bears and he scored a TD in overtime or something to win the game (the game ended strangely but I can't remember the details.). He got up and had the biggest chunk of turf I've ever seen in a QB's helmet but never thought to remove it. He went running holding the ball with this giant piece of turf sticking out of his helmet like a 5th grader who had just won the Little League Championship. I never forgot that, and it's one reason I've always liked him. He loves football and he really wants to WIN. Period.

I really hope he stays at Michigan but I believe he'll leave for the NFL if he gets a good offer.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Harbaugh has also interviewed for the Falcons job. I think he is going to be in the NFL next year.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My assumption is that if he gets an NFL offer that is within shouting distance of what Michigan is offering, he'll take it. It's possible he's using the NFL to get some leverage on the contract issues he's negotiating with Michigan, but it just seems like he's way too interested in the NFL every year for this to be a ploy. The key is whether he actually gets an offer from an NFL team. My assumption for the most likely landing spots are the Chargers and the Raiders since he seems to have good relationships with those owners that might overcome any "personality" issues that Harbaugh has.

Regarding his contract negotiations with Michigan, it seems like the money and years are settled, but there are three issues in the terms. First, he wants immunity from the known NCAA issues. Typically college contracts permit termination for cause related to NCAA violations. Harbaugh's ask makes sense here since these known issues are already baked into his situation and the University is aware of them. Second, he wants any other termination for cause to be determined by a 3 party panel instead of solely by the AD. If the rumors are true that Harbaugh and AD Warde Manuel don't get along, I can see why he would want this. It's apparently unusual for coaches, but common for administration. Third, he wants his buyout to remain what it's currently at (very low) through the end of the NFL hiring cycle this year. In other words, he'd sign a contract now (assuming other issues are resolved) that includes a higher buyout, but that wouldn't end the drama because he'd still be looking at NFL jobs. I think that one's moot because he won't be signing before the NFL hiring cycle is done anyway (unless he sees the writing on the wall and knows he's unlikely to get an NFL offer, in which case he might try to sign early to maintain some leverage).

Bottom line, Harbaugh's gonna Harbaugh.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:13 pm a top College Job is better than most NFL jobs.
Yet there he is, interviewing for multiple ‘worse’ NFL jobs.

Maybe years of eating milk steak has affected his judgement. :D
JCC

Post by JCC »

Harbaugh knows he is likely to face a bigger suspension from the NCAA than the one he got from the Big 10. I have no idea how much the NCAA will want to suspend him (if at all) for the improper scouting thing, but he also faces accusations around mulitple level 2 and one level 1 recruiting violations. (Michigan denies the level 1 violation happened.) So, if he returns to Michigan next season, he is likely to face a larger suspension than the one the Big 10 imposed for the improper scotuing.

Also, I think he just wants to go back to the NFL. So, I would be surprised (but not shocked) if he stays at Michigan.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:09 am Harbaugh has also interviewed for the Falcons job. I think he is going to be in the NFL next year.
The Atlanta Falcons are my favorite team in the entire World of Sports. If they got Harbaugh I would be beside myself with joy. I can't imagine anyone that I would rather have as our head coach right now. But do I think Atlanta will get him? Not a Chance. :(
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

JCC wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:03 pm Harbaugh knows he is likely to face a bigger suspension from the NCAA than the one he got from the Big 10. I have no idea how much the NCAA will want to suspend him (if at all) for the improper scouting thing, but he also faces accusations around mulitple level 2 and one level 1 recruiting violations. (Michigan denies the level 1 violation happened.) So, if he returns to Michigan next season, he is likely to face a larger suspension than the one the Big 10 imposed for the improper scotuing.

Also, I think he just wants to go back to the NFL. So, I would be surprised (but not shocked) if he stays at Michigan.
They had negotiated a 4 game suspension for the recruiting stuff, but the committee put the kibosh on it for "reasons". (Rumor mill says a disgruntled member of the infractions committee who hates Harbaugh - he also has a minority stake in the Vikings and is rumored to have nixed his hiring by the Vikings last year. Rumor mill, so grain of salt and all that.) The University then self-imposed the 3 game suspension at the beginning of the year, which is a frequent strategy used by schools to get ahead of these things. I'd be surprised if the NCAA added more than a game or two on top of that 3 games served, and they might just add on some recruiting restrictions and a fine and let things be. Whether they consider a suspension for the advance in-person scouting probably depends in part on what level they determine the violation to be and whether Michigan had a decent compliance program in place at the time.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:37 am
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:13 pm a top College Job is better than most NFL jobs.
Yet there he is, interviewing for multiple ‘worse’ NFL jobs.

Maybe years of eating milk steak has affected his judgement. :D
He has had success in the NFL before and he has a brother who has had success there. Not the norm.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Ohio State just named Texas A&M's AD as their successor to retiring long-time AD Gene Smith.

They also hired Bill O'Brien as their new OC.

Those moves are . . . interesting.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:14 pm Ohio State just named Texas A&M's AD as their successor to retiring long-time AD Gene Smith.

Pat Forde has thoughts re the AD - here's just one example from the article:
But here’s the rest of the résumé, which was omitted from Ohio State’s release extolling Bjork’s hiring:

Bjork presided over the Hugh Freeze Scandal Buffet at Mississippi from 2014 to ’16. That time period included major NCAA violations, Freeze’s rather spectacular personal scandal that cost him his job and an organized disinformation campaign about the NCAA’s investigation of the Rebels that led to a defamation lawsuit from former coach Houston Nutt. Bjork, Freeze and others at Ole Miss deliberately misled media members and prospective recruits about the nature of the violations, developing a narrative that placed the majority of the blame on Nutt.

After the NCAA notice of allegations was made public in May 2016 and it became clear that Nutt was falsely scapegoated, attorney Tom Mars filed the defamation suit on behalf of Nutt in late ’17. Bjork’s name is all over the lawsuit, and his actions are detailed extensively.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:14 pm Ohio State just named Texas A&M's AD as their successor to retiring long-time AD Gene Smith.

Anybody else besides me think O’Brien is overrated. His results last year were tremendous.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I think everyone at Alabama agrees.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

O'Brien did a remarkable job leading Penn State in the wake of the Paterno/Sandusky scandal. He kept them competitive through the worst of the sanctions and impressed enough people to land an NFL head coaching job. I seem to recall the general sentiment around his time at Houston was that he did a good job on the field, but his poor GM/roster construction skills sabotaged him.

He may well do a good job at OSU, but I think it's odd that they're hiring a high profile OC to take play calling from Ryan Day. It's a recipe for egos to clash, but we'll see how they handle it, I guess. Worst case scenario is that Bjork, as the new AD, has the leeway to fire Day and bring on a big name head coach under an enormous contract like he did at A&M. Now, let's go and check and see how that worked out when he did it at A&M . . . .

Oh.

Oh dear.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:31 pm I think everyone at Alabama agrees.
Yes

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:02 am My assumption is that if he gets an NFL offer that is within shouting distance of what Michigan is offering, he'll take it. It's possible he's using the NFL to get some leverage on the contract issues he's negotiating with Michigan, but it just seems like he's way too interested in the NFL every year for this to be a ploy. The key is whether he actually gets an offer from an NFL team. My assumption for the most likely landing spots are the Chargers and the Raiders since he seems to have good relationships with those owners that might overcome any "personality" issues that Harbaugh has.

Regarding his contract negotiations with Michigan, it seems like the money and years are settled, but there are three issues in the terms. First, he wants immunity from the known NCAA issues. Typically college contracts permit termination for cause related to NCAA violations. Harbaugh's ask makes sense here since these known issues are already baked into his situation and the University is aware of them. Second, he wants any other termination for cause to be determined by a 3 party panel instead of solely by the AD. If the rumors are true that Harbaugh and AD Warde Manuel don't get along, I can see why he would want this. It's apparently unusual for coaches, but common for administration. Third, he wants his buyout to remain what it's currently at (very low) through the end of the NFL hiring cycle this year. In other words, he'd sign a contract now (assuming other issues are resolved) that includes a higher buyout, but that wouldn't end the drama because he'd still be looking at NFL jobs. I think that one's moot because he won't be signing before the NFL hiring cycle is done anyway (unless he sees the writing on the wall and knows he's unlikely to get an NFL offer, in which case he might try to sign early to maintain some leverage).

Whelp, looks like he's taking the Chargers job:
The Los Angeles Chargers are nearing a deal to hire Michigan's Jim Harbaugh as their next head coach, a source tells CBS Sports.

Harbaugh has long been the top target for the Chargers, and the coach has been looking to jump back to the NFL ranks the last several years. Winning the national championship at Michigan, his alma mater, was crucial for Harbaugh to comfortably leave for the NFL.
I'm pretty stunned, actually.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:10 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:02 am My assumption is that if he gets an NFL offer that is within shouting distance of what Michigan is offering, he'll take it. It's possible he's using the NFL to get some leverage on the contract issues he's negotiating with Michigan, but it just seems like he's way too interested in the NFL every year for this to be a ploy. The key is whether he actually gets an offer from an NFL team. My assumption for the most likely landing spots are the Chargers and the Raiders since he seems to have good relationships with those owners that might overcome any "personality" issues that Harbaugh has.

Whelp, looks like he's taking the Chargers job:
The Los Angeles Chargers are nearing a deal to hire Michigan's Jim Harbaugh as their next head coach, a source tells CBS Sports.

Harbaugh has long been the top target for the Chargers, and the coach has been looking to jump back to the NFL ranks the last several years. Winning the national championship at Michigan, his alma mater, was crucial for Harbaugh to comfortably leave for the NFL.
I'm pretty stunned, actually.
I'm pretty excited. If this works out it was worth the Staley debacle.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It's the Chargers, and more specifically, the Chargers as the clear #2 in LA.

I don't expect a ton. Which is probably good for Harbaugh due to low expectations.

I still think the NFL should have built a stadium for them in San Diego and paid for it with Super Bowls being held there. It had long been one of the favored Super Bowl cities, and they could have kept that and the devoted San Diego fanbase.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Harbaugh coached at San Diego early in his career. I am guessing he likes the Southern California life and that the Chargers being in LA is close enough. Plus he gets a team that should have a much better offense under him.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I figured Harbaugh wouldn't be back. He wanted to go to the NFL and now the NCAA can't effectively punish him. (I am sure they would have made him sit out games in 2024 for the illegal scouting and improper sandwiches for recruits or whatever else the NCAA is wringing their hands over...)

If Harbaugh (who I already think is a great coach) ever wins a super bowl for the hapless Chargers, that would be incredibly impressive. (He would only be the 4th coach to win a CFB title and Super Bowl. Only Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer, and Pete Carrol have done it.) Given how (mostly) inept the Chargers have been over their history, I assume it won't happen.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Obviously I'm hardly stunned by this news. He got us a title and seems to have built a good foundation. Now to see if we can keep it humming.

Expect to hear a number of different coaches mentioned as candidates for the Michigan job as their agents leak to the press to try to get their clients raises and extensions. When it all settles down (and I think it will settle down soon), Sherrone Moore will be elevated to head coach. He knocked his audition out of the park as acting head coach this year, so it's time to see if he can handle the full burden of running a major program soup-to-nuts.

Random stuff I'm hearing on Twitter (so sprinkle salt liberally):

Michigan has a 7 day period before they can make a hire official. They're trying to get that waived. The key is to get stability to keep as many players as possible from entering the portal in 30 day window they have after a head coach leaves.

DC Jesse Minter and special teams coach among other positions in the past) Jay Harbaugh will follow Jim to the Chargers.

Interesting battle is for strength and conditioning coach Ben Herbert. He's often been characterized as a big reason for Michigan's success, and he's paid accordingly (rumored $1M/year). S&C coaches tend to get paid less in the NFL than in college, since most players have their own trainers. Average there is about $500K. If Harbaugh really wants him, though, I suspect he could get Spanos to pony up the extra cash. Michigan will likely try to counter to keep him.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

His old DC at Stanford and the Niners, Fangio, just got fired by the Dolphins, so he could definitely be in the running for DC as well.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'd love it if he took someone else and Minter stayed, but I don't think it's going to happen.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:47 pm I'd love it if he took someone else and Minter stayed, but I don't think it's going to happen.
Minter seems to be the media favorite for the HC job at Michigan.

Got my M’s confused. Moore is the media favorite.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:17 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:47 pm I'd love it if he took someone else and Minter stayed, but I don't think it's going to happen.
Minter seems to be the media favorite for the HC job at Michigan.

Got my M’s confused. Moore is the media favorite.
M&M''s at UofM makes sense ;)

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Whelp, Fangio to Eagles:
the Eagles have finally secured their man, welcoming Vic Fangio to Philadelphia on Thursday to become Nick Sirianni's new defensive coordinator, as ESPN reported
No 49er reunion for the Chargers.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:35 pm Chip Kelly to become the new Offensive Coordinator at...Ohio State?

That's certainly an...interesting move.
I think it ties in to the direction College Football is going. Kelly never liked recruiting, and I expect that has only gotten worse with NIL and the portal.

But UCLA is f*cked - the portal is closed, but UCLA players now have 30 days to enter the portal, but unless we poach another College HC, no other new players can enter until after Spring Practice and the next portal window.

So, whoever we get is going to have to a) keep whoever he can from fleeing the program, and b) not be able to replenish until after Spring Practice (which means minimal time to get anyone new up to speed).

Ohio St, on the other hand, gets one of the best offensive minds in the game (in a conference loaded with bad offenses), can still leverage their NIL, can take the top players transferring out of UCLA, and Michigan is rebuilding.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:59 pm But UCLA is f*cked
That was my initial reaction. The timing for that move could not possibly be worse and it really screws the Bruins.

Might be a tough transition to the B10.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

We shall see. Reading the UCLA tea leaves, needing a new HC was eminently predictable and has been for a while.

Per Coach Wooden, failure to prepare is preparing to fail.

If our AD doesn't have a hire ready by next Friday, bye.

And if he goes with the Hiring Consultant search? Oh dear lord.

Having a University Chancellor (President in other systems) who is retiring and never gave a crap about facilitating athletic success only complicates this, especially when the folks who will be hiring the new Chancellor are the same ones demanding UCLA subsidize Cal athletics... despite Cal athletics getting about $25m more "per year"!!! in support from the main university than ucla athletics gets.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

CBS Fornelli has the right of the New World Order in CFB:
Following the 2017 season, two programs were reportedly going after Kelly: Florida and UCLA. Florida fans seemed convinced Kelly would come to Gainesville because why on Earth would a football coach choose UCLA over Florida? You can win national titles at Florida!

I wrote at the time that Kelly was more likely to end up at UCLA. He's always been an offensive innovator. Even when his Oregon teams were at their peak, he seemed more interested in drawing up plays than recruiting kids to play in his offense. His approach to recruiting didn't make sense for what Florida wanted, as Dan Mullen later found out, and UCLA felt like a better fit for Kelly.

Things have changed a lot since then. When Kelly took the UCLA job, there wasn't a transfer portal. There wasn't NIL. There weren't conference games against Rutgers. All of those things exist now, and yes, there are a lot of football coaches who don't enjoy this new college football landscape. The complaints about being more of a cat wrangler than a football coach are well-founded.
Kelly isn't alone in wanting out. See the BC HC leaving for an NFL Coordinator position. I also think it was a huge factor in both Saban's retirement and Harbaugh bolting.