NCAA Football 2023

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Unagi

Re: NCAA Football 2023

Post by Unagi »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:34 pm I am going to guess Deion knew something like this was coming. Maybe not this bad but he knows football good enough to know Oregon was no Colorado State.
I assume that too. Still, I bet he thought he would score a couple more times.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

True, he probably thought they would score more. But teams are getting more film on the Buffs and taking advantage of their weaknesses.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It seemed like the Oregon players could consistently just power through being tackled and slip through modest openings, where very much in contrast - the whole game it seemed like CU players were ready to fall and were extra sticky - and if they were even touched they would be contained.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:54 pm That was as dominant a defensive performance as I’ve seen from Utah in a long time. UCLA ended the game with 9 yards rushing. The game was won by our d-line with an assist by Rice Eccles. It was deafening in there today and it seemed like that really affected the young QB.

If we can get some semblance of an offense instead of the backups (lost RB1 today :( ), this team might stil possibly contend for the P12. Defense has been absolutely nails so far and seems to be getting better.

Wasn’t terribly surprised by the CU outcome. Oregon is the real deal. Will be interesting to see how they respond to that beat down.
Yeah, great job by the Ute Defense and the MUSS/Fans - our true freshman QB was seeing ghosts (given that the pick 6 was on all the highlights, I've seen that play dozens of times, and I **still** have zero idea who he was throwing that ball to!), and we must have had 5+ false start/procedural penalties which put us in holes (and also stopped one run which was easily going for 20+).

Both Utah and UCLA are in the top 10 NCAA Scoring defenses right now, and which pac12 teams can play defense may be the key to the conference this year. Both teams have a LOT of room to grow as well - UCLA getting the OL to come together, and the True Frosh QB will hopefully learn from this and be more composed, and Utah eventually getting Rising and Kuithe back (it was nice seeing Vele back this week too).

Our next game is Wazzu at the Rose Bowl after a bye - should be a fun one!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Ohio State at Notre Dame ended up living up to the hype, even if it was an old school defensive battle instead of a shoot out. The end was a bit odd, though.

ND stopped OSU at about the one yard line. OSU basically had time for one play, which meant they could go run or pass to try to score the winning touchdown. They gave it to a back who just squirmed over the line to give the game to the Buckeyes. The weird part? ND only had 10 players on the field for the final play. Freeman was apparently aware of this, but ND was out of timeouts, so the options were to run the play down a man or try to rush someone onto the field, which likely would have resulted in a penalty since he almost certainly would have been offsides running to get to the ND side of scrimmage before the snap. Freeman said he didn't want to give them the half yard penalty and a chance to regroup and set themselves. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but I think I'd rather have 11 men on the field in that situation - particularly since OSU appeared to run right where an 11th man would have been.

Ryan Day then spent the postgame interviews yelling about Lou Holtz calling his team soft.

[edit]shoot out, not shutout[/edit]
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Something tells me Oregon was pissed about all the Colorado hype. The game recap video they posted yesterday includes multiple shots of the CU players (including Deion's kid) talking all sorts of shit pre-game before getting curb-stomped. :lol:

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:12 pm Ryan Day then spent the postgame interviews yelling about Lou Holtz calling his team soft.
I'm neutral on tOSU in general, but absolutely cannot stand Ryan Day.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Absolutely horrible mistake by Freeman (who I think is a very good coach). You HAVE to take the penalty there. Giving up half a yard is way better than playing 10 on 11.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:04 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:12 pm Ryan Day then spent the postgame interviews yelling about Lou Holtz calling his team soft.
How can you be neutral on pure, unadulterated evil???
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:38 am
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:04 am
How can you be neutral on pure, unadulterated evil???
To be fair, Utah has only interacted with tOSU once and it just so happened to be the best college football experience of my entire life. So that probably colors my opinion somewhat. :)

But Ryan Day can go pound sand. Whiny baby.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Something tells me Oregon was pissed about all the Colorado hype. The game recap video they posted yesterday includes multiple shots of the CU players (including Deion's kid) talking all sorts of shit pre-game before getting curb-stomped. Image

But your were fine with Urban? Hmm...

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:33 pm But your were fine with Urban? Hmm...
Look, I appreciate what Urban to put Utah on the map while he was here, but he's a complete and total dumpster fire of a human being.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Unless Utah can pass the ball Oregon State is going to give them some trouble tonight.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Johnson is actually from a local high school so I hope he does well but he just can’t run a balanced offense yet.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was afraid of exactly that result tonight. Defense is good, but we simply have no offense with our third stringers. Utah has done a really good job of building better depth, but you just can’t overcome this many skill position injuries. Nate Johnson is a decent “change of pace” QB, but is obviously not starter material.

Gonna take a healthy Rising, Jackson, and Kuithe to salvage the season, and I just don’t see that happening. Bummer.

Edit: Coach Whit just told media that Barnes is still in the hospital with a “concerning injury” (broken ribs and bruised lung on an INSANELY dirty targeting hit). Utah also had two more “likely season ending” injuries, one to a d-lineman and yet another RB (would make three RBs lost for the year). Never seen anything like this in all my years as a fan…absolutely decimated.

Edit 2: Said dirty hit. Still no word on Barnes this morning, rumors are he’s still in the hospital in Corvallis.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Here we go again...

:evil:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

SC offense is good. Just showed a stat (late in the 3rd) that Williams has as many TD passes today (6) as incompletions. That’s nuts.

Defense still pretty suspect though.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well, damn - that was quite the 2nd half.

I'm actually a bit impressed with the Buffs there.

I hope the team continues to heal and no one punctures their pancreas or something.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Unagi wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:54 pm I'm actually a bit impressed with the Buffs there.
Very impressed, CU brought it in that 2nd half. Showed some real toughness when they could have simply folded when down big.

I think USC’s in big trouble when it faces a balanced team like Oregon or Washington.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:03 pm
Unagi wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:54 pm I'm actually a bit impressed with the Buffs there.
Very impressed, CU brought it in that 2nd half. Showed some real toughness when they could have simply folded when down big.

I think USC’s in big trouble when it faces a balanced team like Oregon or Washington.
I am not sure that USC is even in the top 3 in the conference. The Washington schools and Oregon are better IMHO.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'll say this every year.

I hate ESPN's display. They take up do much room at the bottom of the screen, including obnoxious ads for upcoming shows.

They suck.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:17 pm I am not sure that USC is even in the top 3 in the conference. The Washington schools and Oregon are better IMHO.
They pretty much look like last year's team. Great offense. Horrible defense. If I was a USC fan I would be pissed they didn't upgrade that side of the ball more.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
JCC

Post by JCC »

McNutt wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:07 pm I'll say this every year.

I hate ESPN's display. They take up do much room at the bottom of the screen, including obnoxious ads for upcoming shows.

They suck.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing last weekend. Though it's not just them. FOX's is too big too, though less egregious. Both should eliminate them (if not entiely) just before snaps and replace them with the old school tiny score in one of the corners.
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Utah making a bit of a national splash by announcing that all 85 scholarship players get a brand new truck* as part of a NIL deal.

*Leased in six month intervals that can be renewed as long as they're still on scholarship. They have to pay taxes on it.

Will be very interesting to see a) the impact of this specifically on Utah recruiting and b) what sort of ripple effect this has schools with actual big boy cash to throw around. Do Bama or Michigan players now each get their own plane?
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

That Utah deal also includes insurance. Weird they are making the players pay the taxes though. If you already have a decent vehicle I am not sure you would want this truck.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Reminds me of when Oprah gave everyone in her studio audience cars. There were people for whom she, ironically, created financial hardships for in doing it.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:00 pm Do Bama or Michigan players now each get their own plane?
Seems reasonable.

I'm not all that knowledgeable on the subject, but a lot of Michigan folks grumble that we're failing at NIL in comparison to our peers. (See, for example, Hunter Dickinson going to Kansas on the basketball side of things.)

I actually think this is pretty cool, but didn't SMU already come up with this idea 40 years ago?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote:

I am not sure that USC is even in the top 3 in the conference. The Washington schools and Oregon are better IMHO.
Let's wait and see if Wazzu can do it on the road first.

What we've seen in the pac12 thus far is that home field advantage for the top 8 is really making a difference.

Tomorrow's game at UCLA will tell us a lot about both Wazzu age UCLA. I think UCLA's ceiling is higher, but CCK needs to get the OL play up to par. Has he done it over the bye? We'll see, we have had a bad habit under CCK of coming out really flat after the bye, and with Wazzu and Oregon St the next 2 weeks, he needs to have fixed those issues now.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:18 pm
Scuzz wrote:

What we've seen in the pac12 thus far is that home field advantage for the top 8 is really making a difference.

Tomorrow's game at UCLA will tell us a lot about both Wazzu age UCLA. I think UCLA's ceiling is higher, but CCK needs to get the OL play up to par. Has he done it over the bye? We'll see, we have had a bad habit under CCK of coming out really flat after the bye, and with Wazzu and Oregon St the next 2 weeks, he needs to have fixed those issues now.

I just think Washington State can put score most teams. USC really has shown very little defensively. If Notre Dame can slow down the offense they could win that game.

As for the Bruins, I don’t think they will be able to keep up with the Cougars, but you never know.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:18 pm Tomorrow's game at UCLA will tell us a lot about both Wazzu age UCLA. I think UCLA's ceiling is higher, but CCK needs to get the OL play up to par. Has he done it over the bye? We'll see, we have had a bad habit under CCK of coming out really flat after the bye, and with Wazzu and Oregon St the next 2 weeks, he needs to have fixed those issues now.
Very interested to see what happens in this one tomorrow. Wazzu is interesting, but I'm still not entirely sure what to make of them. Hoping UCLA can pull things back together with those talented youngsters.

Utah thankfully has a bye this week. It came out yesterday in an interview that Cam Rising didn't just tear his ACL in last year's Rose Bowl, he pretty much shredded his knee, tearing the ACL, MCL, meniscus, and MPFL. That's typically a 12-18 month recovery and would give him a very, very slim chance of playing at all this season. It raises lots of questions about whether or not the doctors were lying to Coach Whitt, or whether he decided to take a massive gamble and not go after a transfer portal QB in the hopes that Cam would make a miracle recovery. Neither option is great, and we're left with a pretty talented team this year with absolutely no offensive leadership. Sucks.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:28 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:18 pm
Scuzz wrote:

I just think Washington State can put score most teams. USC really has shown very little defensively. If Notre Dame can slow down the offense they could win that game.

As for the Bruins, I don’t think they will be able to keep up with the Cougars, but you never know.
Wazzu's only road game was an opener at colorado st. I think that being on the road against a tough UCLA defense (haven't been able to say that in years) is going to impact their offense and their defense. I also expect that UCLA's offense will be a LOT better at home v. the Coogs than it was on the road v. Utah (and we had a handful of plays we blew which could have flipped that game, not even including the opening play pick 6 which was the difference).

Also, Wazzu gave up over 200 yds rushing to Oregon St. I think UCLA will match or exceed that. Might be wrong

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:51 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:18 pm Tomorrow's game at UCLA will tell us a lot about both Wazzu age UCLA. I think UCLA's ceiling is higher, but CCK needs to get the OL play up to par. Has he done it over the bye? We'll see, we have had a bad habit under CCK of coming out really flat after the bye, and with Wazzu and Oregon St the next 2 weeks, he needs to have fixed those issues now.
Very interested to see what happens in this one tomorrow. Wazzu is interesting, but I'm still not entirely sure what to make of them. Hoping UCLA can pull things back together with those talented youngsters.

Utah thankfully has a bye this week. It came out yesterday in an interview that Cam Rising didn't just tear his ACL in last year's Rose Bowl, he pretty much shredded his knee, tearing the ACL, MCL, meniscus, and MPFL. That's typically a 12-18 month recovery and would give him a very, very slim chance of playing at all this season. It raises lots of questions about whether or not the doctors were lying to Coach Whitt, or whether he decided to take a massive gamble and not go after a transfer portal QB in the hopes that Cam would make a miracle recovery. Neither option is great, and we're left with a pretty talented team this year with absolutely no offensive leadership. Sucks.
I saw that. Hard to understand how they thought he would be ready for the opening game when he is still out.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wow, that was a hell of a finish in the Red River Rivalry.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So far it looks like the Bruins defense may be enough to beat Wazzu. Sadly I can’t watch the game.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Surprised they overturned that UCLA TD catch. Looked good to me.

Good win for the Bruins. Should have been a much more convincing win, gotta clean up those special teams mistakes. Great defensive effort though, Cam Ward looked completely lost out there.

Conference of cannibals ENGAGE!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Congratulations Pyperkub, there is a reason I don’t bet on sports. :)
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It was bloody hot at the game, and it sure doesn't look like Kelly has fixed the pass blocking, and Dante Moore is still showing that he's a true frosh multiple times per game, but wow, what a defensive performance!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Miami runs the ball instead of just taking a knee to end it, fumbles, and Ga Tech scores a TD with 1 second left to win. Womp womp Cristobal.

Arizona playing well at USC. A P12 After Dark special, perhaps?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Total Miami coach fail.

I will say that a sharper QB would have taken the knee on his own, and won the game.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unagi wrote:Total Miami coach fail.

I will say that a sharper QB would have taken the knee on his own, and won the game.
I heard that maybe he was trying to get the second rb over 100 yds rushing, instead of kneeling

If so, wow...