Kamala Harris

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

dbt1949

Kamala Harris

Post by dbt1949 »

I'll be the first to admit I don't keep up with politics too much but here lately I keep reading bad vibes on Kamala Harris. The press is none too fond of her.
What has she done or not done that has the press so pissed?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Re: Kamala Harris

Post by Kraken »

IDK, but I wish Biden had changed his running mate. I perceive her as abrasive and ineffective, and there's a strong chance she'll become president if Biden wins the '24 election. She isn't an asset to the ticket; she's even less popular than he is. But Biden values loyalty, and one cannot fire the most prominent Black woman in American politics without serious repercussions.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:33 pm I'll be the first to admit I don't keep up with politics too much but here lately I keep reading bad vibes on Kamala Harris. The press is none too fond of her.
What has she done or not done that has the press so pissed?
I will also love to hear what any of our honest posters reply with.

Personally, I think she is being held to some completely obscure level of performance.
What do we expect from the VP?

How much more absolutely VP unpalatable is Kamala from:
Pence
Cheney
Quayle
Bush the failed

Give me a better (R) VP in the last XX yearrs.

Kamala is perfectly fine. the best??? fuck no - but tell me what she has done wrong.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I very much want to address this:
I perceive her as abrasive and ineffective, and there's a strong chance she'll become president if Biden wins the '24 election.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The vice presidency is “not worth a bucket of warm piss” and “the worst damn fool mistake I ever made.”
— John Nance Garner, the 32nd vice president
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:54 pm
The vice presidency is “not worth a bucket of warm piss” and “the worst damn fool mistake I ever made.”
Arguably, it's changed.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:48 pm Kamala is perfectly fine. the best??? fuck no - but tell me what she has done wrong.
Ima go out on limb and say she's a democrat woman of color in a position of power that is very easy to scrutinize. I mean, imagine if she spent her time and resources doing something like go to an NFL game in a pressbox that cost 10s of thousands so she could get in front of a camera and make a public statement of walking out on it.

We've got a ways to go before we're blind to who is seen as strong or alpha and who is seen as abrasive and overbearing with a chip on their shoulder.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:33 pm What has she done or not done that has the press so pissed?
I wasn't impressed with her primary campaign in 2020, and from my impressions, she hasn't really taken advantage of the opportunity of being vice president to change peoples minds and she hasn't gotten much experience as VP to ready her towards the Presidency. I know she had some minor fumbles early in the administration and she's cast a bunch of tie-breaking votes (which, to be fair, is all that's required of her so far) and that's about it.

The last four VPs, at least, were far more involved in their administrations (for good or bad), from what I can tell.

I will note that her approval rating seems to be tied to how people see Biden (perhaps because she hasn't been changing people's minds herself).
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:06 pm Ima go out on limb and say she's a democrat woman of color in a position of power that is very easy to scrutinize. overbearing with a chip on their shoulder.
Not a limb.

I expressed to a loved one at brunch earlier:: Honestly, what "horrible thing" is K.H. been guilty of that some other 20 random old white men have also done?

Honestly, compare her to the past 6 VP:

- Walter Mandale (to Jimmy Carter) lols - the good ol' days
- GHW Bush (to Ronald Regan) lols
- Dan Quayle (to GHW Bush) is super duper lols
- Al Gore (to Clinton) lols
- Cheney (to GW Bush) holy shit so evil.
- Biden (to Obama)

Kamala seems to have slipped into a traditional 'LAME" position on a lot of things, but I kinda feel she is being put to a "WOMAN OF COLOR !!! ALERT - ALERT!!!" lens.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Her shining hour may come when it's time to certify the 2024 election.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Honestly, I don't think I've heard her name since the election. Are we sure she still exists?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I've never seen you and her in the same room.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Now that you mention it, neither have I! :shock:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:54 pm
Who? :)

I think one of the talk show hosts went around the country showing mike pences picture around and the answers were everything from don’t know to Joe Biden.

Personally I think Kamala Harris gets a bad rap. She’s hated on the left because she was a tough prosecutor and because she is not viewed as African American enough (she is of Jamaican and Indian immigrant background) and she’s hated on the right because she’s not white and a woman.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:12 am Personally I think Kamala Harris gets a bad rap. She’s hated on the left because she was a tough prosecutor and because she is not viewed as African American enough (she is of Jamaican and Indian immigrant background) and she’s hated on the right because she’s not white and a woman.
I don't think the right hates women in power. I think the right hates women in power who are uppity enough not support the WASP male establishment hearkening to a mythical 1950s. You know, where even in power, they know their place, when it comes to being alpha.

Edit: Took at my added parenthetical because once I got quoted, attribution gets weird.
Last edited by LordMortis on Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:43 am
waitingtoconnect wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:12 am Personally I think Kamala Harris gets a bad rap. She’s hated on the left because she was a tough prosecutor and because she is not viewed as African American enough (she is of Jamaican and Indian immigrant background) and she’s hated on the right because she’s not white and a (not an ultra conservative) woman (pushing to uphold "traditional" values).
I don't think the right hates women in power. I think the right hates women in power who are uppity enough not support the WASP male establishment hearkening to a mythical 1950s. You know, where even in power, they know their place, when it comes to being alpha.
Truth. The right is totally ok with women from their team in power, so it’s not that. An anti-feminist woman in power from their team? Chef’s kiss.