Riots in France

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Grifman

Riots in France

Post by Grifman »

Things are looking pretty serious over there:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/fr ... 023-06-29/

Thus is the third night of rioting and 40k police have been called up and deployed.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Re: Riots in France

Post by Grifman »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

malchior

Post by malchior »

This does looks serious and they also had riots for nearly 2 months over the age rise in their national pension plan that only slowed down a month and change ago. This does appear to be at a different level with reports that bus stations, train stations, and at least a major city library were put to the torch.

It will be interesting to see how this will impact French politics which have increasingly drifting to the right. The largest national newspaper was just bought by a far-right billionaire named Vincent Bollore who has allegedly pre-installed a far-right editor that prompted thenewsroom to walkout. On top of the media shift, we might see Marine LePen/National Rally taking advantage of this situation.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

malchior wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:59 am On top of the media shift, we might see Marine LePen/National Rally taking advantage of this situation.
Well, they are definitely going to try, the question becomes, as a citizen, is LePen likely to implement more policies like the ones you rioted over, or less?

And in this case the cop didn't shoot anyone because of who is president, you dumb asses.

I guess it's time for fascism for everyone. If not today, maybe tomorrow.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Indeed. There has been a massive backlash against liberalism. Isn't it curious it coincides with Pikkety's wealth inequality predictions playing out accurately and the takeover of the media by corporations and right-wing billionaire's?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Perhaps they are overreacting, a bit. Or not. I don't know the details of the incident, but I don't want my government killing me via the police force either.

Anyway, sounds like everyone is running amok. Crazy.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
The killing of Nahel M, 17, has sparked riots in cities across France as well as the town of Nanterre to the west of Paris where he grew up.
Shortly after nine in the morning on Tuesday he was fatally shot in the chest, point-blank, at the wheel of a Mercedes car for driving off during a police traffic check.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

It doesn’t seem to be getting any better:

At what point do they call in the army?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:57 pm BBC
The killing of Nahel M, 17, has sparked riots in cities across France as well as the town of Nanterre to the west of Paris where he grew up.
Shortly after nine in the morning on Tuesday he was fatally shot in the chest, point-blank, at the wheel of a Mercedes car for driving off during a police traffic check.
Video shows him pulled over and an officer has him at gunpoint behind the wheel. He attempts to drive off with the officer leaning against the car/window and a shot is fired. It may have been a bad shoot, no idea with the limited info, but it doesn't look like the execution it's being made out to be.

Partial video here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66038227

The full one with the actual shot fired can be found but doesn't add a lot more.

If anyone hasn't seen La Haine, might be a good time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Haine
On the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 100% based on 33 reviews, with an average rating of 8.2/10. The website's critics consensus reads, "Hard-hitting and breathtakingly effective, La Haine takes an uncompromising look at long-festering social and economic divisions affecting 1990s Paris."
Similar divisions nationwide in 2023.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Also, a coworker of mine has a daughter staying in a villa in the South of France with her aristocratic French boyfriend. As recently as Wed we were joking about how it might be a good retirement plan. Now it's pretty terrifying.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

A good buddy of mine's daughter is in Paris right now with a school trip. Needless to say he's been worried, but the chaperones have done an excellent job keeping the kids away from the danger spots and have been doing more trips to the outskirts.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:54 am Also, a coworker of mine has a daughter staying in a villa in the South of France with her aristocratic French boyfriend. As recently as Wed we were joking about how it might be a good retirement plan. Now it's pretty terrifying.
A villa in the south of France more terrifying than here in terms of personal safety? That’s an odd take, sir. :D

Let them eat cake!
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:54 am Also, a coworker of mine has a daughter staying in a villa in the South of France with her aristocratic French boyfriend. As recently as Wed we were joking about how it might be a good retirement plan. Now it's pretty terrifying.
I mean, the "aristocratic French" definitely have a track record here...
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:48 am Video shows him pulled over and an officer has him at gunpoint behind the wheel.
Do we know if that "has him at gunpoint behind the wheel" was remotely warranted? It's easy to look at this through American eyes, but in the home of Liberty - I'm guessing the police have a high bar to hold a 17 yo at gunpoint like that (in the eyes of the citizens of France).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I asked the cop reddit about it. Their responses were not kind to that "tactic".
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:27 pm I asked the cop reddit about it. Their responses were not kind to that "tactic".
It always goes so well...

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:27 pm I asked the cop reddit about it. Their responses were not kind to that "tactic".
Apparently I need to join Reddit to read that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:15 am
Apparently I need to join Reddit to read that.
https://www.reveddit.com/v/ProtectAndSe ... p_tactics/