Wyze Gaming Headset: NOT for big heads after all

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Wyze Gaming Headset: NOT for big heads after all

Post by Kasey Chang »

I ordered a Wyze Gaming Headset for $60 in April, mainly because it's wireless, and it seems to be compatible with big heads.

So it came, I installed it. It worked okay for a weak, then it started to rapidly connect / disconnect / connect that made it unusable at beginning of may.

Wyze immediately sent out a replacement. Nice of them. This one worked fine.

Until today.

I was just having on, listening, then suddenly I heard a loud crack-pop on the right.

I took off the headset, and the right earcup is hanging loose. The plastic "clip" that holds the earcup arm to the headband had cracked in half!

So I pulled up Wyze chat.

This time, they're only giving me Gift card.

Looks like it's time to go Team Razer, since the Blackshark seems to be the only other wireless headset that will accomodate big heads. :-/
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Re: Wyze Gaming Headset: NOT for big heads after all

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's a tough one. Razer makes junk, but if it doesn't fit your head, it doesn't fit your head. The two wireless sets that I've owned (SteelSeries Arctis 7 and Logitech Pro G) both seem like they'd be a problem with a large head. This might be helpful.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, I guess it wasn't a wise purchase then? ;) Man, you certainly seem to have bad luck with headsets.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Enlarge Image

The entire right arm just popped off. ARGH.

I just put in an order for Razer Blackshark V2 Pro Gen1. Yes, they have a Gen2 now at DOUBLE the price. Given they don't have a black one that's new, I'm ordering their final white one. And no, I don't want to pay 30% more for some RB6 Siege markings on it. I can save $14 if I buy used... No thanks. Razer headsets actually come with 2 year warranty except the cheapest tier.

In the meantime, I'm using my backup: a wired Superluxe HD651 I got many years ago. It's actually not quite big enough but it'll do for now.

Now, what do I do with all this e-waste?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Stop buying Razer anything.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:38 pm Stop buying Razer anything.
Believe it or not, this would be the FIRST Razer product I own. :D
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Why not pair a decent set of wired headphones that comfortably accommodate a large noggin with a simple Bluetooth headphone adapter for wireless connectivity instead?

Seems like that ought to provide a superior selection of products to choose from vs. settling for an inferior Razer product with XTR33M3 gaming decals and such.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The main problem is latency with the BT adapters. No difference to music, not so good in games, not just shooters, but also driving games and such.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bluetooth earbuds solves all that.
Anonymous Bosch

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:14 pm The main problem is latency with the BT adapters. No difference to music, not so good in games, not just shooters, but also driving games and such.
If that's a concern, an adapter with aptX Low Latency Bluetooth should do the trick, e.g. something like the TaoTronics TT-BR009.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive not gamed with BT earbuds but for music I cant tell a latency.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:47 pm Ive not gamed with BT earbuds but for music I cant tell a latency.
There would be no way to tell if the song was playing a half a second late, as the entire song would still play at the same speed. That's not the same as having an audio alert in a game and the delay means that you hear it late. Like having someone shoot at you and not hearing it until the fifth round had buried itself in your flesh.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:05 pm There would be no way to tell if the song was playing a half a second late, as the entire song would still play at the same speed. That's not the same as having an audio alert in a game and the delay means that you hear it late. Like having someone shoot at you and not hearing it until the fifth round had buried itself in your flesh.
Watching a video with the sound out of sync is also super annoying.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:14 pm The main problem is latency with the BT adapters. No difference to music, not so good in games, not just shooters, but also driving games and such.
the problem with gaming headsets (and cheaper headphones in general) is they're mainly thin plastic that WILL degrade sooner than later, and usually at a hard-to-repair location. if one of speaker joints doesn't bust off now, it will in two years.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I agree in principle. I may revisit the idea in six months.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Just a thought, but Turtle Beach make headsets made for people who wear glasses. Maybe that could work for you given they're made to accomodate width. I have a headset that's bluetooth, but maybe they make a wired version.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Stop buying gaming headset. Just get a good headphone then add a decent budget mic.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have a good mic... on a swingarm. I don't use tiny little boom mics. I actually have one... the modmic clone from Drop I got from a while back. But I have a Realtek on my PC and its microphone amp ain't the best. So I use a proper USB mic for podcasts and such.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Not sure if it's a sign or not, but apparently my order was "lost" by Amazon. I ordered it on June 30th, with supposedly delivery on 1st. And there's where tracking stopped. There was supposed to be an update on Monday, but nothing.

Of course Amazon would like me to cancel and try again, but in the meanwhile price had gone up by $30 USD. :\ So it's basically telling me to cancel and see if it comes back on sale on Prime Day. Hmmm...
Anonymous Bosch

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:50 am Not sure if it's a sign or not, but apparently my order was "lost" by Amazon. I ordered it on June 30th, with supposedly delivery on 1st. And there's where tracking stopped. There was supposed to be an update on Monday, but nothing.

Of course Amazon would like me to cancel and try again, but in the meanwhile price had gone up by $30 USD. :\ So it's basically telling me to cancel and see if it comes back on sale on Prime Day. Hmmm...
Take it as a valuable heads-up, and heed this headphone boffin advice instead:

He's absolutely correct about what a superb bargain the Koss KSC75 or Philips SHP9500 headphones are for gaming, both of which will fit a large noggin mighty comfortably.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:50 am Not sure if it's a sign or not, but apparently my order was "lost" by Amazon. I ordered it on June 30th, with supposedly delivery on 1st. And there's where tracking stopped. There was supposed to be an update on Monday, but nothing.

Ask them for credit to address the price differential. What's the worst they can do, say no?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Oh, yes, I watch Crinacle quite a bit, the problem is. I want a wireless headset.

I'm sure I can GET a BT receiver that can do AptX low latency, but the problem is my PC doesn't do AptX low latency, unless I invest in a new dongle or transmitter. So that'll roughly DOUBLE the price of acquisition.

EDIT: I see an Avantree headset. That's big enough for my head, because I have their non-AptX version. Unfortunately, the AptX version is currently unavailable except as bundled for TV listening deals. ARGH!!!!! They have the PC adapter (that act as a sound card) for about $25-30. They have similar models, but none are the one I've owned since 2017!

EDIT2: I just realized I can order it directly from Avantree's website as a "replacement" headset, no accessories. Don't need them anyway. I know that set fits on my head great as I owned its brother since 2017. Hmmm... With the BT adapter it'd be $80+tax. Maybe I should wait and see...
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous Bosch

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:29 pm Oh, yes, I watch Crinacle quite a bit, the problem is. I want a wireless headset.
Fair enough, but what you want ain't necessarily always what you need. The point being, if you can use wired headphones, you'll have a far more comfortable and better-sounding experience using Koss KSC75 or Philips SHP9500 headphones for gaming vs. overpriced and under built 'Gamer-fied' headphones. All the more so if do not have money to burn.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:37 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:29 pm Oh, yes, I watch Crinacle quite a bit, the problem is. I want a wireless headset.
Fair enough, but what you want ain't necessarily always what you need. The point being, if you can use wired headphones, you'll have a far more comfortable and better-sounding experience using Koss KSC75 or Philips SHP9500 headphones for gaming vs. overpriced and under built 'Gamer-fied' headphones. All the more so if do not have money to burn.
To get a decent Bluetooth headphone adapter that do AptX LL, I'll end up paying as much as the headphone, like a FiiO BTR3K, which is like $70 by itself. I can get generic ones for like $15 that supposedly supports AptX LL but why?

The main problem is my head size. I know only certain headphones fit my head, and I've picked the Blackshark mainly by reputation of being good for large heads... and wireless. Sure, I can do the split-ear like the KOSS KSC75. I don't think the PortaPro would fit my head anyway. I am just not sure about springing for the big boys like Phillip. Let's just say, I've broken a Logitech set, a Sony set, and now a Wyze set with my big head, just by wearing them. I've tried a Monoprice set (way too small), and for a wired set, I already have a Superlux HD585 on my desk I can use in a pinch. I'm after the Razer Blackshark for a reason: for the large head (supposedly) accomodation, not for the durability or audio quality.
Anonymous Bosch

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:04 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:37 pm
To get a decent Bluetooth headphone adapter that do AptX LL, I'll end up paying as much as the headphone, like a FiiO BTR3K, which is like $70 by itself. I can get generic ones for like $15 that supposedly supports AptX LL but why?

The main problem is my head size. I know only certain headphones fit my head, and I've picked the Blackshark mainly by reputation of being good for large heads... and wireless. Sure, I can do the split-ear like the KOSS KSC75. I don't think the PortaPro would fit my head anyway. I am just not sure about springing for the big boys like Phillip. Let's just say, I've broken a Logitech set, a Sony set, and now a Wyze set with my big head, just by wearing them. I've tried a Monoprice set (way too small), and for a wired set, I already have a Superlux HD585 on my desk I can use in a pinch. I'm after the Razer Blackshark for a reason: for the large head (supposedly) accomodation, not for the durability or audio quality.
I understand. But if affordability + a comfortable fit for a huge noggin are of primary concern, I was suggesting that you forego wireless entirely if you possibly can, and instead opt for either the Koss KSC75 (ideally, upgraded with Yaxi Ear Pads) or Philips SHP9500 headphones (ideally, upgraded with Misodiko Ear Pads). Both of which sound terrific for gaming, and will more importantly fit and feel supremely comfortable if you have a heed that resembles an orange on a tooth-pick. ;)

PS. You could always later add an aptX Low Latency transmitter to your PC along with a suitable headphone adapter if you end up jonesing for wireless headphones with minimal lag.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I wonder if any one have any opinions on this one: Drop x Hifiman HE-X4 Planar Magnetic $100

Sennheiser HD 559 $100

Or the Audio Technica's cheaper option, it's BT, but not AptX LL or such ATH-M20xBT $80 on Amazon, or just get regular wired (ATH-M20) for $50.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Philips SHP9500 is a good choice. It is an open back headphones so sound is going to leak out and in.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

It's been a while since I looked, but don't all planar magnetic headphones require an external headphone amp?
Anonymous Bosch

Hrothgar wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:55 pm It's been a while since I looked, but don't all planar magnetic headphones require an external headphone amp?
Perhaps. Some models definitely do require a dedicated amp for best results.

I'd be more concerned over the bulk and heft of planar magnetic headphones. Because of the large magnets used in planar magnetic driver designs, they tend to be significantly more bulky and heavy compared to other types of headphone designs. Which can make them difficult or uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time, i.e. gaming.

And FWIW, here's how crinacle ranked Sennheiser HD 559 headphones, which seem less than ideal for gaming:

RankModelPrice (MSRP)SignatureCommentsTone GradeTech GradeDriver TypeCup Type
D+Sennheiser HD559150WarmBig, thick sound that muffles everything but the most surface level details.D+C-DynamicOpen Circumaural

Meanwhile, here's what he had to say about the Koss KSC75 and Philips SHP9500 headphones for gaming:
crinacle.com wrote:Best under $50
KOSS KSC75

Product page:
KSC75
Massdrop KSC75x

I say headphones, but really there’s only one choice here. And it’s not even a headphone.

I have written a full review so I won’t go too in-depth here. In short, these clip-ons provide the same staging width and imaging chops as a fully circumaural open-back headphone, and while the bass extension leaves a lot to be desired in music and movie listening, the added clarity is invaluable for those seeking that competitive edge.

It’s not hyperbole to say that the KSC75s are more-or-less the true gamer’s default option all the way up to $150. It’s that good, and with a cheap lapel mic your entire setup wouldn’t even break $50 total. Pretty much every other sub-$100 open-backed headphone pales in comparison.

---

Best under $100
PHILIPS SHP9500

Product page: https://www.philips.com.hk/en/c-p/SHP95 ... headphones

The sub-$100 market for open-backed headphones is abysmal, so while the SHP9500 is on this list I would still pick the KSC75 over it. But it does have its uses in gaming.

Does it have wide soundstage? Yep. Does it have good imaging? Decent. Does it have a neutral-bright signature? Definitely higher-frequency-tilted. So regardless of my criticisms of it as a music-listening headphone (of which I gave it a “C” rank on my ranking list), I can at least acknowledge it as a pretty good gaming headphone.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I may try the KSC75 but I'm waiting for Prime Day. As for the replacement ear pads... Koss themselves sell 2 pairs for $5. The Yaxi ones are WAY WAY more expensive.
Anonymous Bosch

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:20 am As for the replacement ear pads... Koss themselves sell 2 pairs for $5. The Yaxi ones are WAY WAY more expensive.
Granted, but Yaxi earpads have a significant influence on the sound and overall balance of Koss Porta Pro / KSC75 headphones. Here's a Reddit thread from an acoustic engineer that delves into further detail on that topic. The following Youtube video does a good job of explaining how and why headphone pads matter:

Yaxi pads are made in Japan, and are much sturdier than the default thin and flimsy Koss pads. The Yaxi pads are thicker, softer, more comfortable, and indisputably sound better, hence the price difference. Suffice to say, the considerable improvements Yaxi pads provide more than justifies their price differential.
Anonymous Bosch

Have a butcher's at the following images, and you can clearly discern the difference between default Koss pads and upgraded Yaxi pads:

Default Koss pads:
Enlarge Image
(click to embiggen)

Yaxi earpads:
Enlarge Image
(click to embiggen)

Also, if memory serves, you've previously mentioned possessing an odd skin chemistry that reacts badly with certain forms of rubber. In which case, that's all the more reason to upgrade to a more durable set of headphone earpads.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Guess we'll find out when Prime Day comes. :) Though you have to admit, when the ear pads cost half as much as the actual headphones, something's a little wonky. :)
Anonymous Bosch

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:40 am Though you have to admit, when the ear pads cost half as much as the actual headphones, something's a little wonky. :)
Not necessarily. Koss KSC75 headphones are undeniably bargain-priced at only $19.99 direct from Koss. So, the quality and materials that go into the included Koss earpads are commensurate with their bargain price. In other words, you get what you pay for. If Koss provided earpads of a similar quality to the Japanese Yaxi pads, the overall price of the headphones would be increased accordingly.

The point being, there is a palpable difference in quality between Koss pads and the upgraded Yaxi pads, hence their difference in price. IMHO, it's absolutely worth paying $12 for a single pair of Yaxi earpads vs. $5 for two pairs of replacement Koss pads. Because $19.99 + $12 for upgraded earpads still provides a superb bargain set of gaming headphones for just shy of $32.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

KC75 is ordered. There's a $3 discount on them for Prime Day. I've also ordered a double set of Yaxi pads.
Anonymous Bosch

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:31 pm KC75 is ordered. There's a $3 discount on them for Prime Day. I've also ordered a double set of Yaxi pads.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Anonymous Bosch

BTW, here's an important caveat for prolonging the life of your KSC75 headphones. The included cables are somewhat fragile, with a known weak point right where the cable is crimped as it enters the headphones. This means that if you are tempted to hand-wrap the cables, this will almost certainly damage and break their connection in fairly short order. Suffice to say, I would strongly advise against any such cable wrapping with the included cable.

The following video provides a low-effort preventative fix for this by using a hot glue gun to coat the cable right along the weak point, thereby creating an improvised stress-relief:

A superior, but trickier, option is to replace the default cable entirely, and instead add MMCX sockets to your KSC75 headphones. This is what I did with my own KSC75 headphones. It removes the weak point entirely, and allows you to use higher-end replaceable cables and utilise Bluetooth or balanced connections. However adding MMCX sockets tends to be a more finicky process, especially for anyone uncomfortable soldering wires and such.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

i can probably Sugru that.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:16 am
The following video provides a low-effort preventative fix for this by using a hot glue gun to coat the cable right along the weak point, thereby creating an improvised stress-relief:
super wish i had known this ten years ago!

i have a pair of wonky KSC75s somewhere - if i can find them, i will try replacing the cable