need boot partition recovery/rebuild software

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

need boot partition recovery/rebuild software

Post by hitbyambulance »

it looks like the fiasco that was installing my giant video card on my gaming desktop led to ALL my connected SSDs/HDDs being corrupted or damaged. it's truly a bad scene. after running CHDKSK on my main SSD, the drive became unbootable. ok, i think the MBR is corrupt. run through ALL the options from BOOTREC in Windows repair, i get 'element not found' errors when i try to reconstruct the MBR.

https://www.diskpart.com/articles/bootr ... -3889.html

would like to give AOMEI Partition Assistant a try, but i don't know where that thumbdrive is... and you need a Windows install to create it a new one. problem is, the only other Windows machine is my corporate laptop, and it's locked down - can't install anything not authorized to it. i have two MacBooks (personal machines), a Linux desktop and a Linux dev laptop for work - none of that will help here. what are other good options for this problem? i am fairly conversant in Linux so i would be willing to try something there. or could someone install AOMEI Partition Assistant, create the ISO, then deliver it me over the webz via some method or another so i can just

Code: Select all

dd
the USB drive with it?
LordMortis

Re: need boot partition recovery/rebuild software

Post by LordMortis »

I used to use Partition Wizard. But I haven't needed to in over a decade. I can't speak to what's happened since then

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-pa ... nager.html. And for $90 I had a great recovery tool I used beyond for general recovery but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Again, it was over a decade since I used it and it was for work and I don't work any more.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:35 am it looks like the fiasco that was installing my giant video card on my gaming desktop led to ALL my connected SSDs/HDDs being corrupted or damaged. it's truly a bad scene. after running CHDKSK on my main SSD, the drive became unbootable. ok, i think the MBR is corrupt. run through ALL the options from BOOTREC in Windows repair, i get 'element not found' errors when i try to reconstruct the MBR.

https://www.diskpart.com/articles/bootr ... -3889.html

would like to give AOMEI Partition Assistant a try, but i don't know where that thumbdrive is... and you need a Windows install to create it a new one. problem is, the only other Windows machine is my corporate laptop, and it's locked down - can't install anything not authorized to it. i have two MacBooks (personal machines), a Linux desktop and a Linux dev laptop for work - none of that will help here. what are other good options for this problem? i am fairly conversant in Linux so i would be willing to try something there. or could someone install AOMEI Partition Assistant, create the ISO, then deliver it me over the webz via some method or another so i can just

Code: Select all

dd
the USB drive with it?
If you have another spare thumb drive you can use, my recommendation would be to download and install Medicat USB to create a bootable flash drive for troubleshooting, as shown and demonstrated here:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Also, if you're looking to repair your Windows boot partition and boot from an existing Windows installation without reinstalling, have a butcher's at the process explained and documented here, and shown below:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this is what i was looking for - going to give this a try when i'm not sooooo very busy
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, that corruption may indicate a weak or failing power supply during startup. Generally, HD's go no-contact when there's a power interruption.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:22 am FWIW, that corruption may indicate a weak or failing power supply during startup. Generally, HD's go no-contact when there's a power interruption.
precisely - these problems occurred when i tried running my new Radeon 6800 XT GPU with the installed 650W PSU. i was assured it _might_ work, but it kept being unstable and rebooting. ok, sure, to be expected, but i only used it for 20 mins and in that time it took out:

- a Samsung EVO 870 SSD: this is the OS drive with the corrupted MBR partition after an attempted chkdsk repair that i'm dealing with now
- a Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD: this is the drive where all my games were stored. the drive was definitely not new, and is not working now.
- an external WD HDD: this one is the weirdest, as it was only connected to the PC via a USB cable and has its own power supply. this drive had my whole digital music collection on it, and i had only an old backup of it. but no, totally toast >:{

consider this a cautionary tale.