Nigeria and African continental War incoming?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Pyperkub

Nigeria and African continental War incoming?

Post by Pyperkub »

This sounds ugly and could expand. It won't get the same attention as Ukraine, but could become a continent-wide war (which has long felt to me as if it has been building towards that), fueled by local warlords, Russian mercenaries, etc. :
The West African bloc ECOWAS stands ready to intervene militarily in Niger should diplomatic efforts to reverse a coup there fail, a senior official told army chiefs who were meeting in Ghana on Thursday to discuss the details of a standby force.

Niger military officers deposed President Mohamed Bazoum on July 26 and have defied calls from the United Nations, ECOWAS and Western powers to reinstate him, prompting West African heads of state to order the standby force to be assembled.

"Let no one be in doubt that if everything else fails, the valiant forces of West Africa...are ready to answer to the call of duty," ECOWAS Commissioner for Political Affairs, Peace and Security Abdel-Fatau Musah said.

"By all means available, constitutional order will be restored in the country," he told assembled defence chiefs from member countries, listing past ECOWAS deployments in Gambia, Liberia and elsewhere as examples of readiness.

Niger has strategic importance beyond West Africa because of its role as a hub for foreign troops involved in the fight against Islamist insurgents in the Sahel region and its uranium and oil reserves.

Western countries fear the junta could follow the lead of neighbouring Mali, where the military government threw out French troops and instead invited in mercenaries from Russia's Wagner group, which has welcomed the coup in Niger.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Re: Nigeria and African continental War incoming?

Post by Smoove_B »

My dude.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

Niger and Nigeria are two separate places.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I feel bad for this thread. Someone say something nice about it. :D
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:34 pm I feel bad for this thread. Someone say something nice about it. :D
It meant well. :wink:
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:37 pm
Kurth wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:34 pm I feel bad for this thread. Someone say something nice about it. :D
It meant well. :wink:
Yep. It had fun. It tried its best. And it was a team player.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳