Car troubles thread....

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Car troubles thread....

Post by Daehawk »

The thread of car problems L(

Mine has a random problem that keeps me home locked..its random.I can start it and let it sit. It will idle fine. I rev it up and hold it and its fine. Then I shut it off and start it again. Same this time. Keep in mind this is just now..I was sitting out there doing this. Ok third try. Shut off and start..engine light is on now and its missing and coughing. I rev it its still missfiring. Let it go to idle it cough spurts dies. Restart same..missfiring sputtering died. Start run clean and fine even with engine light still on. Stop start fine stop start fine....give up its dark and come inside and post this.

So this is why I cant go to town.It could break down on me and Id be stuck in town. One start seems fine..next start not fine. Just never know. Im thinking I wait until next month when I have some spare cash and get it over to my mechanic that I no longer fully trust but is close and wont overcharge me with what little I have and let him look at it or hook up a reader to see what its saying.

The car hasn't had a tune up in 13 years that Ive had it. Always meant to around the time my wife passed . But that happened and threw my wife out of controls and it got pushed back. Maybe all it needs is a tune up..new plugs and whatnot. Could be the MAF or IAC is dirty..again a mechanic job.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scuzz

Re: Car troubles thread....

Post by Scuzz »

If you are doing that over and over maybe you are flooding the engine, used to do that with my lawnmower.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nah not flooding it. Pretty sure its a tune up that I need and a good cleaning of the IAC and MAF...maybe replace the o2 sensor. Im thinking when I have my money next month is to call and get my mechanic lined up to do a once over on it for that stuff.

Its a lucky start I guess ...one time good 2 time bad one time good another two time good one bad. With it so random Im guessing something is either failing or needs a good cleaning or replacing in the sprarking area.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Maybe you can sell the car to your mechanic, and then get a good three wheel bicycle with a basket.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You just want someone to ride you around in the basket. I see your plan.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:11 pm The thread of car problems L(

Mine has a random problem that keeps me home locked..its random.I can start it and let it sit. It will idle fine. I rev it up and hold it and its fine. Then I shut it off and start it again. Same this time. Keep in mind this is just now..I was sitting out there doing this. Ok third try. Shut off and start..engine light is on now and its missing and coughing. I rev it its still missfiring. Let it go to idle it cough spurts dies. Restart same..missfiring sputtering died. Start run clean and fine even with engine light still on. Stop start fine stop start fine....give up its dark and come inside and post this.
So, you are just stopping it and restarting it, and that's the extent of the above story, right? I didn't miss something?

Could be worn starter solenoids.

to be clear, your car doesn't 'die' once it's running - it's that it doesn't always want to start. - right?
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:45 am You just want someone to ride you around in the basket. I see your plan.
No, I just think that in the new normal you're unfortunately going to have to adapt to a cheaper existence. Either that or you're going to have to learn to do all your preventive maintenance correctly yourself, and in a timely fashion. You could also really use something like AAA so you have free towing, or maybe you can add roadside assistance to your insurance.

When was your last oil change? When was the last time you replaced windshield wipers or air filter? If you can't afford those types of things at the time they're needed you really might need to give up automobiles and find an alternative that you can keep maintained.

Maybe a bicycle that washes laundry too. :lol:

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:27 am Could be worn starter solenoids.
If the car hasn't had a tuneup in over a decade I'm guessing it's plugs and plug wires.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:29 am
Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:27 am Could be worn starter solenoids.
If the car hasn't had a tuneup in over a decade I'm guessing it's plugs and plug wires.
Yeah. That’s very possible, given the decade without service. (Miracle)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After wrenching on it an hour again today I may also have a bad fuel pump. Things are electronic these days and if I kneel at my car's back bumper while its running I can hear a high pitch whine from the fuel tank. So now Im thinking maybe the fuel pump is on it's last legs too.

Plan of action as of now ......

Wait on my ss check next month. Get an appointment to have a tune up done.
check MAF
check IAC
check O2 sensor
check fuel pump
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Are you sure you have any fuel at all? Maybe your gauge is off or bad. Or maybe somebody stole your gas.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:27 am
Daehawk wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:11 pm The thread of car problems L(

So, you are just stopping it and restarting it, and that's the extent of the above story, right? I didn't miss something?

Could be worn starter solenoids.

to be clear, your car doesn't 'die' once it's running - it's that it doesn't always want to start. - right?
That's what I thought at first too, but it is starting, then sputtering and misfiring.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ahhh. :doh:

Maybe carb problems , and yeah - fuel line. And all the filters involved in the two.

Either way. I honestly expect that the car will have over 1k$ in work that is listed as needed to be addressed.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:21 pm Ahhh. :doh:

Maybe carb problems , and yeah - fuel line. And all the filters involved in the two.

Either way. I honestly expect that the car will have over 1k$ in work that is listed as needed to be addressed.
If I've learned anything about Daehawkian doctrine over the years, he almost invariably has a cunning plan to address such potential predicaments…

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:21 pm Either way. I honestly expect that the car will have over 1k$ in work that is listed as needed to be addressed.
Just about anything outside of an oil change costs that or more these days.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I also vote plugs/wires.

I used to do those myself (on my own car) until I got cocky and told my brother I could do his, and messed something up.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:45 pm After wrenching on it an hour again today I may also have a bad fuel pump. Things are electronic these days and if I kneel at my car's back bumper while its running I can hear a high pitch whine from the fuel tank. So now Im thinking maybe the fuel pump is on it's last legs too.

Plan of action as of now ......

Wait on my ss check next month. Get an appointment to have a tune up done.
check MAF
check IAC
check O2 sensor
check fuel pump
What you have described does match up with how my f-150 acted when the fuel pump died. Not a cheap fix either as in f-150’s the fuel pump is actually in the fuel tank. At least in a 2002.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Not helpful with car, but no car is a laundry problem too.

Prepper washing machine, you could leave off some of the more expensive hinge and latch hardware and just use tie wraps instead. Instead of just draining you could use the waste water in your toilet tank or somewhere else. Wash, rinse, spin dry features plus a little exercise(very little)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XenzDFI8Cmk

A composter is made in almost the exact same way so you could start growing veggies since they're so expensive in the new normal. $1.74 for an onion. LMAO
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:19 pm If I've learned anything about Daehawkian doctrine over the years, he almost invariably has a cunning plan to address such potential predicaments…

Enlarge Image
Because he has so many better options.

I keep reading that most Americans can't handle an unexpected $400 expense. We have a guy who's doing well if his month ends with +$4.
Isgrimnur

Car troubles thread....

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:56 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:19 pm If I've learned anything about Daehawkian doctrine over the years, he almost invariably has a cunning plan to address such potential predicaments…

Enlarge Image

I keep reading that most Americans can't handle an unexpected $400 expense. We have a guy who's doing well if his month ends with +$4.
I was going to suggest a 5 gallon gas can on the roof to see if he can run on gravity feed.(not old lawnmower gas that's been sitting around for a year though)
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

If you're looking for help suggestions we would need the year, make, model, and engine. Short of that everything is a shot in the dark.
FTE
Anonymous Bosch

Enlarge Image

Granted, but if you don’t make putting money away for the future a priority, you’ll never get around to doing it. And when you need it, it won’t be there. So an undeniably significant factor boils down to deciding what your spending priorities are and how much time and effort you'll spend on them. Because when you don't, someone -- or some thing -- else will.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:10 am

Granted, but if you don’t make putting money away for the future a priority, you’ll never get around to doing it. And when you need it, it won’t be there. So an undeniably significant factor boils down to deciding what your spending priorities are and how much time and effort you'll spend on them. Because when you don't, someone -- or some thing -- else will.

If he's ending his month with +$4 (on a good month), which money is he supposed to be putting back? Priorities in that case would be 'save $50 per month for future emergencies' vs 'eat.'
Last edited by Blackhawk on Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:08 am What you have described does match up with how my f-150 acted when the fuel pump died.
Anecdote: I was forced to drive a Ford F-150 for 24 hours when having some work done on my Honda years ago. It was literally the ONLY thing the car rental the insurance company was using had. Try driving a Ford F-150 through Chicago city traffic...and then attempt to park it on a Chicago side street after 6pm. I was a goddamn nervous wreck.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:53 pm If he's ending his month with +$4 (on a good month), which money is he supposed to be putting back? Priorities in that case would be 'save $50 per month for future emergencies' vs 'eat.'
I think some of it goes back to what a few of us have been trying to puzzle out over the last 5+ years - but it's a black box. Not that anyone is obligated to share anything as personal as their financial details, but...

As an outsider, if I see that someone is shuttling most (95%?) of their income into a mortgage while then simultaneously being unable to (1) eat, (2) maintain a car, (3) drink water, (4) wash clothes, plus any number of other things, I am puzzled. I get that I might not have the whole picture (and that's ok), but I'm at a loss to understand how this all will play out any differently given the current equation.

I'm frustrated for everyone involved.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I certainly don't give all of the details of my situation, either. And the 'logical', good-sense solutions often don't take into account the effects of psychology and disability, which are a major factor (I have a few thoughts there, but nothing I'd share publicly.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think you're right, and I appreciate your input as you've voiced numerous times things you can relate to from his perspective that I honestly never would have considered.

That doesn't help fix a car today (or next year), but I do try to keep it in mind.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im finding at this stage in my life I can almost live without a car. Two things coming up are a problem though. 1. Haircut. I can just let it go so its not really a problem but worth thinking about for the future./ 2. Energy assistance. I Have to go in to the place physically and be there for that one. It helps pay my electric bill over the winter months. I can probably either bum a ride from my sister or fix the car. Its in Oct normally.

With COVID a lot of that has switched to non contact stuff. Mail and such instead of going in.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:16 pm Two things coming up are a problem though. 1. Haircut. I can just let it go so its not really a problem but worth thinking about for the future.
https://www.amazon.com/Conair-Styling-E ... 877&sr=8-3
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:57 pm
Scuzz wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:08 am What you have described does match up with how my f-150 acted when the fuel pump died.
Anecdote: I was forced to drive a Ford F-150 for 24 hours when having some work done on my Honda years ago. It was literally the ONLY thing the car rental the insurance company was using had. Try driving a Ford F-150 through Chicago city traffic...and then attempt to park it on a Chicago side street after 6pm. I was a goddamn nervous wreck.
I am pretty good at parallel parking it but parking garages
are scary because of how tight the stalls are.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:14 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:53 pm If he's ending his month with +$4 (on a good month), which money is he supposed to be putting back? Priorities in that case would be 'save $50 per month for future emergencies' vs 'eat.'
I think some of it goes back to what a few of us have been trying to puzzle out over the last 5+ years - but it's a black box. Not that anyone is obligated to share anything as personal as their financial details, but...

As an outsider, if I see that someone is shuttling most (95%?) of their income into a mortgage while then simultaneously being unable to (1) eat, (2) maintain a car, (3) drink water, (4) wash clothes, plus any number of other things, I am puzzled. I get that I might not have the whole picture (and that's ok), but I'm at a loss to understand how this all will play out any differently given the current equation.

I'm frustrated for everyone involved.
Amen.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:16 pm Im finding at this stage in my life I can almost live without a car. Two things coming up are a problem though. 1. Haircut. I can just let it go so its not really a problem but worth thinking about for the future./ 2. Energy assistance. I Have to go in to the place physically and be there for that one. It helps pay my electric bill over the winter months. I can probably either bum a ride from my sister or fix the car. Its in Oct normally.

With COVID a lot of that has switched to non contact stuff. Mail and such instead of going in.
Would a bicycle do the trick? Or a scooter? How far of a ride would it be?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Or a bus?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

An ebike would do it its so close. My side of town. Just everything is spread out here and no one builds anything on this end of town these days.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Someone send Daehawk an ebike. I bet they are cheaper than the car repairs.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Unagi wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:50 pm Someone send Daehawk an ebike. I bet they are cheaper than the car repairs.
Makes me curious how reliable people have found their ebikes to be so far? :think:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think my car is just full of electrical gremlins. For the last few days Ive been going out and starting it over and over to see if I can sense a pattern to the madness. But really there isn't one. Its like the car has gotten old and senile and decided to die peacefully lol. If I had the money Id simply set it aside to figure out another day and get me a cheap beater to run errands in. The need to do stuff. Like get mower gas or get a haircut or if my pet had to see a vet. The things I cant just have delivered.

Just now I started it. All normal..was missing a little and the service engine light is on. Revved and idled fine and stayed running. Just like always.

Turned it off and restarted and it missed and died. Restarted and again missed and died. Restarted and then that go was fine..would rev and idle and stay running.

So damn random. I say electrical gremlins because of all that randomness plus my car stereo speakers and amps seem different. The back ones are fine but the front ones seem weak. Theres no bass to it at all now. Its like an amp has died. This car has like 3 amps in it.

When its a old car and a wiring mess Im not sure how to get it right again.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That doesn't sound like an electrical issue, unless maybe it's a bad distributor cap.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Have you thought about getting one of those tester thinfs? They plug into a port under your steering wheel. Cant remember the name of the port but its standard.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us