Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

stimpy
Posts: 4975
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:04 pm

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by stimpy »

I did a quick search.
This was my 15th post in R&P. As far as I can see, the previous 14 posts didnt offend anyone.
Then this in the "Primaries Round 5: South Carolina for the Democrats" thread from 2005.....

Me:
Obama gives great speeches, but each time he talks I cant help but think that it's The Rock from WWE. They sound exactly alike, especially when Obama gets going.
I'm just waiting for him to slip this in one of those speeches:
Shut your mouth and know your role.
Can you smellelelelel what Obama's cooking?

ChrisGrenard:
Yeah, they're both darkies, so I could see how you could confuse the two.

Me:
Wow...that was uncalled for, as usual.
I believe I said they SOUND alike.
Jump right to race much, Chris?
Some of us try to be a bit more evolved in our discussions.

CSL:
You got no sense of humour or something? (To Me)

I mean....cmon...... them thinking I had no sense of humor is hilarious.

So please explain why these kinds of comments to my posts should paint me as the bad guy when I defend myself against them?
User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 71039
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by Isgrimnur »

stimpy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:35 pm This was the initial post that set everyone off in the Juneteenth thread..... "It's hip and trendy to be a woke white person these days, so there's that......"

Is that really offensive? To me it's just my observation of the times we live in. I certainly didnt single anyone out or disparage the holiday itself.
So did it really warrant the comments that came after?
It comes across (to me) as disparaging anyone who is white that has demonstrated any increased education or cognizance of the racial disparities on which our society has benefitted from and we may have, usually unknowingly, perpetuated.

The term, "woke," has become politically charged and is not used in a complimentary manner. And calling those who may feel targeted by it as hip and trendy certainly doesn't lend itself to thinking that your usage is complimentary, either.

Whether or not it was targeted, it reads as insulting.
Black Lives Matter

Unrelated: Humanity was a mistake.
User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 32467
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by Blackhawk »

Exactly that. As I said before, it's your tone, not always the message (although I'm not sure what the message was supposed to be in this case.) It comes across as if you're suggesting that people who have developed a strong moral position based on all the evidence that's been seen lately are just being 'trendy.' Calling something trendy is a pretty common way of dismissing it as shallow and fleeting.

Can you see why people would respond angrily or defensively?
________________________________________
Letting my Curiosity Lead Me, a blog. Sort of. Eventually.

Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Sudy
Posts: 6420
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:11 am
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by Sudy »

I don't necessarily find it offensive, but it's definitely cynical and the sentiment, as phrased, doesn't foster earnest discussion.

Mind you, I don't usually venture into R&P so I'm not as familiar with stimpy's reputation. I recognize him from elsewhere on the board and don't recall any specific negative exchanges, but my memory often clouds unless we've had specific ongoing interations, they're a megaposter, or they have a memorable avatar.
“Also, Dude, ‘Sand People’ is not the preferred nomenclature; Tusken Raider, please.”
“Walter, this isn't a guy who built the moisture vaporators, here....”
stimpy
Posts: 4975
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:04 pm

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by stimpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:53 pm Exactly that. As I said before, it's your tone, not always the message (although I'm not sure what the message was supposed to be in this case.) It comes across as if you're suggesting that people who have developed a strong moral position based on all the evidence that's been seen lately are just being 'trendy.' Calling something trendy is a pretty common way of dismissing it as shallow and fleeting.

Can you see why people would respond angrily or defensively?
I guess, although again to me I was making a general statement on society as a whole these days, and certainly not geared towards anyone specific.
User avatar
wonderpug
Posts: 10188
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:38 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by wonderpug »

stimpy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:36 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:53 pm Exactly that. As I said before, it's your tone, not always the message (although I'm not sure what the message was supposed to be in this case.) It comes across as if you're suggesting that people who have developed a strong moral position based on all the evidence that's been seen lately are just being 'trendy.' Calling something trendy is a pretty common way of dismissing it as shallow and fleeting.

Can you see why people would respond angrily or defensively?
I guess, although again to me I was making a general statement on society as a whole these days, and certainly not geared towards anyone specific.

If people identify with the “as a whole” population you’re mocking, they’re included in the insult.
User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 14786
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by Zarathud »

You don’t post to be funny, stimpy. You post to be an asshole, thinking it’s funny. My brother has the same problem. There’s a big difference, especially when you can’t take a counterpunch after hitting someone else.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
User avatar
Holman
Posts: 25853
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Between the Schuylkill and the Wissahickon

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by Holman »

Speaking of how we treat forum members, can we get this "WhitePride" character (see R&P this evening) banned immediately?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 38556
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:57 pm Speaking of how we treat forum members, can we get this "WhitePride" character (see R&P this evening) banned immediately?
We haven't drawn a real new troll in ages, but this one's not U2K th' Greatest.
User avatar
Sudy
Posts: 6420
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:11 am
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by Sudy »

Not even a good troll... good trolls are less obvious. Good trolls are insidious.
“Also, Dude, ‘Sand People’ is not the preferred nomenclature; Tusken Raider, please.”
“Walter, this isn't a guy who built the moisture vaporators, here....”
User avatar
Pyperkub
Posts: 20752
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:07 pm
Location: NC- that's Northern California

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by Pyperkub »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:48 am
Holman wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:57 pm Speaking of how we treat forum members, can we get this "WhitePride" character (see R&P this evening) banned immediately?
We haven't drawn a real new troll in ages, but this one's not U2K th' Greatest.
Well, LawBoy did just cancel "whitepride"...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
User avatar
Combustible Lemur
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: houston, TX

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by Combustible Lemur »


stimpy wrote:I did a quick search.
This was my 15th post in R&P. As far as I can see, the previous 14 posts didnt offend anyone.
Then this in the "Primaries Round 5: South Carolina for the Democrats" thread from 2005.....

Me:
Obama gives great speeches, but each time he talks I cant help but think that it's The Rock from WWE. They sound exactly alike, especially when Obama gets going.
I'm just waiting for him to slip this in one of those speeches:
Shut your mouth and know your role.
Can you smellelelelel what Obama's cooking?

ChrisGrenard:
Yeah, they're both darkies, so I could see how you could confuse the two.

Me:
Wow...that was uncalled for, as usual.
I believe I said they SOUND alike.
Jump right to race much, Chris?
Some of us try to be a bit more evolved in our discussions.

CSL:
You got no sense of humour or something? (To Me)

I mean....cmon...... them thinking I had no sense of humor is hilarious.

So please explain why these kinds of comments to my posts should paint me as the bad guy when I defend myself against them?
I'll give my crack at this one. In the larger context Grenards response is not un-called (with the exception of his vocabulary being questionably crass as to be self defeating) for a couple reasons.

1. In a political context Barack Obama's blackness is ubiquitous. It doesnt matter that he's an Ivy League constitutional scholar, moderately socially conservative, church going, nuclear family having boyscout. To his political enemies (whether they actually cared or not. He was a black Muslim out to deatroy the country. Those who pretend like this wasnt the political reality were either ignorant of politics or gaslighting. Grenard presumed you were the latter. A reasonable inference based on your your engagement in the topic.

2. You said they sound alike because of 1 their SNL SKIT in which they are side by side satirizising the frustration of code switching and social roleplaying also pressing into muddy issues of angry black man. And 2 because of the nature of american dialect and code switching the rythms and tones associated with college educated public speaker in this case two mixed race men who do have have similar sonorous yet halting rythms. Possibly from black church evangelical backgrounds. Preacher voice is a thing.

You dont even need to be aware of any of this at the concious level for it to influence how people respond to you. I don't approve of the troll hunters on this forum that actively stalk posters they don't like, in this case targeting you. I think trolling someone you think is a troll just makes you a troll. BUT I do think there is either a gaping lack of self awareness, or indignation on your part. Your comebacks reek of gaslight fumes. You often come across as Colbert Report trying to convince everyone he's not a fictional character. Okay but he's not then he is an ignorant troll. If he is, then that brand is not for me. A few forum members have sucessfully participated as alts of themselves, but generally it seems to me the forum wants absurd alts that clearly delineate reality from parody, or disclaimers when the satire is close to the truth.

Anyway, thats my two cents. I agree with alot of what blackhawk said too.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
stimpy
Posts: 4975
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:04 pm

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by stimpy »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:01 pm
stimpy wrote:I did a quick search.
This was my 15th post in R&P. As far as I can see, the previous 14 posts didnt offend anyone.
Then this in the "Primaries Round 5: South Carolina for the Democrats" thread from 2005.....

Me:
Obama gives great speeches, but each time he talks I cant help but think that it's The Rock from WWE. They sound exactly alike, especially when Obama gets going.
I'm just waiting for him to slip this in one of those speeches:
Shut your mouth and know your role.
Can you smellelelelel what Obama's cooking?

ChrisGrenard:
Yeah, they're both darkies, so I could see how you could confuse the two.

Me:
Wow...that was uncalled for, as usual.
I believe I said they SOUND alike.
Jump right to race much, Chris?
Some of us try to be a bit more evolved in our discussions.

CSL:
You got no sense of humour or something? (To Me)

I mean....cmon...... them thinking I had no sense of humor is hilarious.

So please explain why these kinds of comments to my posts should paint me as the bad guy when I defend myself against them?
I'll give my crack at this one. In the larger context Grenards response is not un-called (with the exception of his vocabulary being questionably crass as to be self defeating) for a couple reasons.

1.To his political enemies (whether they actually cared or not. He was a black Muslim out to deatroy the country. Those who pretend like this wasnt the political reality were either ignorant of politics or gaslighting. Grenard presumed you were the latter. A reasonable inference based on your your engagement in the topic.
Great, but in THIS case I had no prior engagement in the topic other than this post. How anyone can gleem that I in any way shape or form was a "political enemy" of Obamas based off of my 1 post is absurd.
I was making a comparison to his speech pattern. Not anything but that.
The conclusions others think they can draw from that says way more about them than it does about me.

And again...I know this comes off as me trying to defend myself, but I'm really just trying to understand whether my reputation is based off of the things I actually intially post or if it's based off of my responses to the attacks that come afterwards and whether those attacks were actually warranted or not..
User avatar
Combustible Lemur
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: houston, TX

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by Combustible Lemur »


stimpy wrote:
Combustible Lemur wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:01 pm
stimpy wrote:I did a quick search.
This was my 15th post in R&P. As far as I can see, the previous 14 posts didnt offend anyone.
Then this in the "Primaries Round 5: South Carolina for the Democrats" thread from 2005.....

Me:
Obama gives great speeches, but each time he talks I cant help but think that it's The Rock from WWE. They sound exactly alike, especially when Obama gets going.
I'm just waiting for him to slip this in one of those speeches:
Shut your mouth and know your role.
Can you smellelelelel what Obama's cooking?

ChrisGrenard:
Yeah, they're both darkies, so I could see how you could confuse the two.

Me:
Wow...that was uncalled for, as usual.
I believe I said they SOUND alike.
Jump right to race much, Chris?
Some of us try to be a bit more evolved in our discussions.

CSL:
You got no sense of humour or something? (To Me)

I mean....cmon...... them thinking I had no sense of humor is hilarious.

So please explain why these kinds of comments to my posts should paint me as the bad guy when I defend myself against them?
I'll give my crack at this one. In the larger context Grenards response is not un-called (with the exception of his vocabulary being questionably crass as to be self defeating) for a couple reasons.

1.To his political enemies (whether they actually cared or not. He was a black Muslim out to deatroy the country. Those who pretend like this wasnt the political reality were either ignorant of politics or gaslighting. Grenard presumed you were the latter. A reasonable inference based on your your engagement in the topic.
Great, but in THIS case I had no prior engagement in the topic other than this post. How anyone can gleem that I in any way shape or form was a "political enemy" of Obamas based off of my 1 post is absurd.
I was making a comparison to his speech pattern. Not anything but that.
The conclusions others think they can draw from that says way more about them than it does about me.

And again...I know this comes off as me trying to defend myself, but I'm really just trying to understand whether my reputation is based off of the things I actually intially post or if it's based off of my responses to the attacks that come afterwards and whether those attacks were actually warranted or not..
People glean it because you position yourself as a "conservative" voice in "liberal" echo chamber. You position yourself as the opposing voice. You position yourself as an Obama politcal enemy by aligning your argumentative base parallel with the groups that are. Though this is irrelevent, Grenard's assumption was that the flippant observation was a superficial disregard for Presidential respect. Which it was. Rather than noting that the two men had similar speech pattern, you declared that you couldnt help but see Obama as anything but a cartoonish sports entertainer. The most electrifying maybe, but still the leader of the free world as a buffoon. Again, parallel to the real world degredation of the man and office. Whether you intended it or not. It has a cultural whiff of "well if they can say it I can too". Even if you at that time didnt have much of a board history, my memory of chrisGrenard is such that his joke was akin to a verbal body check. You said something that could theoretically be innocent.
Your response could EASILY have been" touche', i was referring to their vocal patterns. The halting cadence. I can't think of a time when Obama leaned into agression and arrogance for a speech. Except you know, SNL WHICH LITERALLY played the angry black man parody."

But you didn't. You played the how could you possibly associate me associating an academic inspirational black man with a super entertaining angry black man character as a some kind of politically racial dig in a religion and politics forum.

And you didnt mention speech pattern, or oratory style, or cadence.

You claim you're working at a high level of analysis but never apply that level of critical thinking to your own posts. That gets to the core of what this is about. And its why you remind us of other OO trolls of the past. People who claim they are being incisive, or satirical, or earnest, but then refuse to turn any of that mental rigor towards themselves.

One of the biggest reasons I post less these days is because I like to drive-by post but tear up 90% of my own posts. I know I type in a disjointed stream of conciousness style and either I wont be adding much to the thread or I dont have time to parse the jumble if I'm misinterpreted . I even, when i do want to say something, sometimes have someone else read it before i post (I often do this with work emails.). Even in the best circumstances, written word comes with interpretation.

You say theres no way they aren't jumping to conclusions. I'm suggesting the fact that this thread is where we've ended up suggests that may not be the case.



Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
stimpy
Posts: 4975
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:04 pm

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by stimpy »

You know, no matter how much I try to explain my side of things, some will just choose to believe what they believe.
The fact that my posts get scrutinized so deeply leads me to believe some of you may be wasting your time slumming on an internet forum when you could be using those analytical skills to make the world a better place.

The fact is that my intentions would be questioned and picked apart whether it was a political opinion or a fart joke.
Some people just think they know it all.
User avatar
Combustible Lemur
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: houston, TX

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by Combustible Lemur »

stimpy wrote:You know, no matter how much I try to explain my side of things, some will just choose to believe what they believe.
The fact that my posts get scrutinized so deeply leads me to believe some of you may be wasting your time slumming on an internet forum when you could be using those analytical skills to make the world a better place.

The fact is that my intentions would be questioned and picked apart whether it was a political opinion or a fart joke.
Some people just think they know it all.
Indeed. Have fun with that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 14786
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by Zarathud »

If you can’t stand the heat, don’t light fires.

At least your obsessive “just being funny” posts aren’t as blatantly offensive as WhitePride. So you aren’t instantly permabanned.

When I met you in person, you didn’t seem to be the angry “touched in a Nono place by a Democrat” reactionary you’ve become. What happened, stimpy?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
stimpy
Posts: 4975
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:04 pm

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by stimpy »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:49 pm If you can’t stand the heat, don’t light fires.

At least your obsessive “just being funny” posts aren’t as blatantly offensive as WhitePride. So you aren’t instantly permabanned.

When I met you in person, you didn’t seem to be the angry “touched in a Nono place by a Democrat” reactionary you’ve become. What happened, stimpy?
I dont know.
I think getting caught up in Trump running for President, because I really thought government needed to be shook up, just set something off in me when it became apparent he was pretty much the lunatic that alot of people thought he would be.
But as far as what he did and didnt do to harm the country, I just couldnt help but think it was not much different than alot of other politicians do. He was just far more brazen about it.
Thats' why I didnt vote for him for a second term,
4 more years of him would have been a disaster.
But no matter how much I tried to convey that here, it seems like I am forever a Trump loving racist.
And that bothers me. Because it isnt true.
But I do get caught up in trying to defend myself, not Trump, against it these days.
But I'm am realizing it's futile and I just need to try and let it go and let folks have their opinions, right or wrong.
In time, they may see I'm trying and be able to move past it.
User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 42923
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:17 am But no matter how much I tried to convey that here, it seems like I am forever a Trump loving racist.
And that bothers me. Because it isnt true.
Simple solution via a couple of examples: whenever someone brings up Trump in a negative manner, don't immediately jump in to decry the post as being unfair and insult the OP if you feel this way. And whenever someone brings up something about the fight against racism, don't decry the post as just an example of someone being "woke".

If you truly don't like Trump, then I don't understand why you apparently take offense whenever someone says basically what you believe
stimpy wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:17 am I think getting caught up in Trump running for President, because I really thought government needed to be shook up, just set something off in me when it became apparent he was pretty much the lunatic that alot of people thought he would be.


Constructive criticism. Take it as you will.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus
Posts: 2836
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:18 am

Re: Inequality on treatment of forum members.

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm mentioned upthread so I guess I'll say something. Like most of my comments it is probably overthinking things.

For my part I found your response to me somewhat offensive. You did seem to imply that I was pulling some sort of hipster card by knowing about Juneteenth ages ago. On the other hand I can see that my statement might have sounded like I was attempting to show my own hipster woke cred so I dropped the topic.

I haven't seen the SNL skit. But I have (recently) seen Trevor Noah's bit on accents and dialect that really points out all of Obama's mannerisms. It great because it's clear he respects Obama and he is juxtaposing him with Mandela. Another figure of respect. If you flipped things around am pointed out that The Rock was talking like a preacher or like Obama it would be a slightly interesting observation. Comparing Obama to The Rock would work but you'd have to be with friends who already knew you respected Obama and even then it would only work as a comment on something happening in the moment. As soon as you make it asynchronous with people reading it later or without the same context it gets too close to "can't tell them apart" to fly.
Post Reply