Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

Post by hepcat »

My gripe with the Imperium rulebook is that it doesn't actually include any examples of game flow/game play. It's like reading the schematics for a microprocessor. And they do that thing that Phil Eklund does where they stick important terms that are essential to the game into a glossary at the back of the book, forcing you to go hunting for them when you're reading rules.

That being said, there appears to be a fascinating game to be found here. And Turczi can do no wrong when it comes to solo AIs.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:49 pm My gripe with the Imperium rulebook is that it doesn't actually include any examples of game flow/game play. It's like reading the schematics for a microprocessor. And they do that thing that Phil Eklund does where they stick important terms that are essential to the game into a glossary at the back of the book, forcing you to go hunting for them when you're reading rules.

That being said, there appears to be a fascinating game to be found here. And Turczi can do no wrong when it comes to solo AIs.
The fans have fixed this for people: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/2237 ... m-classics

I am still waiting on my copies. I finally cancelled my Cardhaus order and spent the extra money to get them shipped from the UK from the Book Depository. It wasn't much more, and I am impatient.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, excellent, thanks!
-Mr Bismarck

-Coopasonic

Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If you want to see a full solo play through (with minimal errors) that's only about 60 minutes, check the One Stop Coop Shop from last month:

I haven't seen one that is shorter, fwiw.
I'm so far off the map the sun is shining
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks. I’m playing Core Space with Seppe on Saturday. Maybe I can convince him to give this a test run with me.
-Mr Bismarck

-Coopasonic

Black Lives Matter
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:41 pm Got my copy today. I tried reading the rules over lunch and I swear to god, I have zero understanding of what they're trying to do in this game. There are like 2,382 different types of cards (which is pretty impressive considering each deck consists of about 3 cards or something) and they all do something. I think some only do something on certain days of the week or when it's raining outside. I'm just completely confused at this point.
I've had my copy of Imperium Classics for a week now, and I completely agree. I had to watch some online tutorials/playthroughs to understand what I'm discovering is quite a fun game indeed. I particularly liked the videos by "Gaming Rules" and Ricky Royal.

Oddly, once I understood how to play the rulebook now makes perfect sense and is easy to use and navigate. The problem is the writing is so dry and the rulebook itself has poor graphic design (and it's criminal that there are no play examples whatsoever).

For example, in the "How to Play" section, it begins by detailing you can take one of three actions: Activate, Innovate, or Revolt, followed by the Clean Up phase. The rules then detail each phase, but the design does a piss-poor job of laying out the information--it all runs together visually, and includes info on reshuffling your deck and the Solstice phase as well. It's too much to take in and process w/o examples.

There are also a lot of keywords to learn, and even the terms for the various decks were confusing with separate draw, destiny, fame, nations, and market decks--more than once early on, I drew from the wrong deck because I mixed up the terms.

Now I understand it better, and I do think the game is well worth trying out. In fact, I have a Rome vs Celts game setup and ready to dive into this afternoon. :mrgreen:
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:49 pm My gripe with the Imperium rulebook is that it doesn't actually include any examples of game flow/game play. It's like reading the schematics for a microprocessor. And they do that thing that Phil Eklund does where they stick important terms that are essential to the game into a glossary at the back of the book, forcing you to go hunting for them when you're reading rules.

I've never played a game with solo AI by Turczi before, and I must concur--his work is amazing! Definitely some of the best solo AI I've ever played. The tables are buried in the solo rulebook, but in the BGG file section someone uploaded color files of all the tables for printing, and it makes gameplay MUCH smoother.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Then do yourself a favor my friend and get thee to Anachrony and Teotihuacan. The former is all Turczi, while the latter is just Turczi doing what Turczi does best...creating amazing solo rules.

I know I'm online gaming shy and continuously promise to play then never do, but if you ever want to try either out on TSS, let me know and I'll make a concerted effort to set something up.

I watched 45 minutes of the Gaming Rules tutorial where he actually plays a game and it makes a LOT more sense now. The acquire versus break through rules were especially obtuse in the rulebook, in my opinion. His video made them clear to me though. I'm hoping to tackle this tomorrow with another player or two before heading off to solo land with it.
-Mr Bismarck

-Coopasonic

Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:25 am Then do yourself a favor my friend and get thee to Anachrony and Teotihuacan. The former is all Turczi, while the latter is just Turczi doing what Turczi does best...creating amazing solo rules.
Anachrony is one of the top, if not the top, solo game in my collection. At first, it all looks very complicated, but once you get into the game it feels like a streamlined and tight worker placement game. I thought the "time travel" aspect would be overwhelming, but I found it to be something more akin to issuing stocks in the stock market of one of the Railways of XX type games. It works and it works well.

That said, I think the updated Chronossus was only partly Turczi and mostly John Albertson. I only mention this because he seems like a solid dude and often answers questions on BGG and the Rolling Solo Facebook group.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:25 am Then do yourself a favor my friend and get thee to Anachrony and Teotihuacan. The former is all Turczi, while the latter is just Turczi doing what Turczi does best...creating amazing solo rules.

I know I'm online gaming shy and continuously promise to play then never do, but if you ever want to try either out on TSS, let me know and I'll make a concerted effort to set something up.
I've thought about Anachrony before, so I'll definitely check it out.

I'm "online shy" as well--hence the fact I've only posted here a few hundred times, but I've been a member since Gone Gold shut down. I even own TSS, but I've never managed to game with others. :oops:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

when I say "online shy" i mean I tend to avoid online gaming because I sometimes get a weird sense of pressure that makes me anxious about it. i'm fine with a small group that I know, but I need to venture outside my comfort zone on that.

but as far as being a loud mouthed jerk on the internet, I'm well known for that.
-Mr Bismarck

-Coopasonic

Black Lives Matter