Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

LordMortis

Re: OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by LordMortis »

I remember looking at that some time ago. I can't remember why I didn't bite. Probably because I figured either I'd be too dumb or it would be too much like work.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I played the 1980's version and was a huge fan of it back then. So when they reprinted them/updated them, I jumped on them. They are work, but it's a game about solving crimes, so it comes with the territory. But it's a blast trying to find links/lack of links between all the clues/dead ends in the numerous number of resources you have access to.

Replay value is nil, but that's also to be expected in a narrative heavy game.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:44 am I played the 1980's version and was a huge fan of it back then. So when they reprinted them/updated them, I jumped on them. They are work, but it's a game about solving crimes, so it comes with the territory. But it's a blast trying to find links/lack of links between all the clues/dead ends in the numerous number of resources you have access to.

Replay value is nil, but that's also to be expected in a narrative heavy game.
Indeed, I would agree with the conclusion of the SU&SD review. Granted, replay value is negligible, but much like Pandemic Legacy: Season 1, the tremendously immersive and rewarding gameplay experience Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective provides is absolutely top-notch, and ought not be missed by any fan of the genre.
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

One of the Wonder Twins got Kingdomino as a birthday present this week. Far more fun than I expected, been playing it most of this morning.
For those accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Black lives matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:55 pm One of the Wonder Twins got Kingdomino as a birthday present this week. Far more fun than I expected, been playing it most of this morning.
Yep I really enjoy that one and the kids can absolutely be competitive in it. If you start getting bored with it there is a solid expansion. There is also Queendomino that takes the concept to another level but might be a bit harder for the younger kids to wrap their heads around.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

A lot of gaming yesterday. First, Trickerion, the game of Victorian magicians competing for fame. There's a lot going on: you have to learn a trick, buy components, build it in your workshop, set it up on stage, and finally perform it. I really like the system for selecting actions: you secretly assign a destination to each of your workers, then everyone reveals their assignments and you can see where you're going to be competing for the best action spots. It's definitely one of the heaviest games I've ever played, but all of the mechanisms worked together smoothly (well, maybe not the trick-linking spatial puzzle; that might have been one mechanism too far).

Then we played a truly delightful game of Oath. Everyone had at least a few games of this under their belt, so we didn't have to worry about rules explanations and could get straight to the battles, politics, and backstabbing. It was a very dynamic game, with the Chancellor stripped of the Oathkeeper title by turn 3. Meanwhile, an exile had a vision of conquest, and another exile's false prophet claimed to have the same vision.

Thanks to infighting among the exiles, the Chancellor managed to quell the numerous threats and even cajoled one of them to become a citizen of the empire. But one of the remaining exiles struck at the empire's weakest spot - not to win the game for themself, but to hand victory to the other exile and forever reshape the land.

I was the kingmaker in this scenario, and it was so, so satisfying. The empire thought it had secured its future, and I was able to throw it into chaos.

The more I play Oath, the more I like it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Taught Aeon's End to 3 new players. Carapace Queen crushed our hopes and dreams. We were going to run out her deck, then she popped a minion that had 30 health because we let the husks get away from us. Then another card that would have her swarm, spawn 2 husks and swarm again. That would be the end of us unless we could clear husks. Narrator: They could not, in the end, clear the husks.

Then Forbidden Desert (yeah, it's been a while), again first time for the other three. Played on the lowest difficulty, things were going pretty well and then the storm told us to go to hell, burying the last part and then running us out of sand.

Finally The Red Dragon Inn. This was a fun one that was new to a couple of us including me. Not deep in any way, but very interactive and entertaining and not too long.

So nice to be able to play board games again.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

husks
I do not like this word today.
Black Lives Matter

Unrelated: "It's its own cloaca, shaped in its perfect, unique way"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:57 am
husks
I do not like this word today.
Is that a word that hurts people's brain like moist? Just curious because otherwise I don't get it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I will need to encounter it at other dates and times to be sure for my own experience. Alas, I do not live in cicada country.
Black Lives Matter

Unrelated: "It's its own cloaca, shaped in its perfect, unique way"