OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

RMC

Re: OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:32 am Mansions of Madness 2nd edition is my absolute favorite. There’s a group of about 4 of us that play marathon sessions every Christmas when I visit my father. Since this last Christmas got postponed, we waited until he got his vaccine shots, so now we’re planning on playing at the end of this month.

It really is the closest I’ve ever come to a good old fashioned night of Call of Cthulhu RPG’ing...without the actual RPG side of things. :wub:

This year we may toss in Cthulhu: Death May Die as that also had the same kind of feel...but with much more action and less thinking.
We love more action and less thinking! It's the Ohio way!!!
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I continued my weekend of large boxes by playing Caverna. It's such a charming game, and one I would play anytime. Buying a box insert for this was a great decision; it cuts down setup and teardown enormously.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I got tired of the gift cards I had set aside for a PS5 gathering dust, so I picked up Small World and Roll Player this afternoon. Small World is always a blast, and I was quite impressed with Roll Player (playing solo). Much more depth and strategy than I originally expected.

We played some 7 Wonders Duel and Potion Explosion as well. We all love Potion Explosion, but the sad cardboard tray is now falling apart pretty much any time I take it out of the box. It still works, but barely. I'd love to get the xpac with the plastic tray, but it's impossible to find.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:55 pm
We played some 7 Wonders Duel and Potion Explosion as well. We all love Potion Explosion, but the sad cardboard tray is now falling apart pretty much any time I take it out of the box. It still works, but barely. I'd love to get the xpac with the plastic tray, but it's impossible to find.
https://www.etsy.com/hk-en/listing/6631 ... ck=1&col=1

This might interest you :D
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

EzeKieL wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:06 pm

If you're in the US Skinypupy, this link would be more apropos.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:21 pm
EzeKieL wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:06 pm

If you're in the US Skinypupy, this link would be more apropos.
Thanks for that.

I don’t think it hits the table enough to warrant a $45 tray though.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You're thinking backwards. The question is, will it hit the table more because it has a $45 marble tray? :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

We played and recorded: KERO from Hurricane games.

It's a 2-player game where you're driving around the wasteland with your truck looking for resources and exploring new areas. Easily the 2 coolest parts of the game are
1. The trucks: inside both trucks are big sand timers which represent your fuel. During the games you'll put your truck on its rear and the gas will start flowing. During that time you roll for resources (you're scavenging). When you roll a flame, you lose the die, so it has a push your luck element. You also have several ways to mitigate luck and/or adding extra type of dice.
2. The rolling that I already mentioned. Not only do you roll for your resources, but when the other player wants to fill up the truck with gas, they flip the other truck the other way and then YOU roll 8 fires as quickly as possible. When you do they have to stop fuelling up. It's madness ^^.

There are more factors that make the game very good but I'll stop here because of lack of time :) .

If you love Borderlands, you'll love the art style.
If you love rolling dice against time and stress and making quick decisions, you'll love it too ^^

I made:
- an unboxing video
Spoiler:
- a how to play video
Spoiler:
(
- a playthrough video with my colleague
Spoiler:
(
I really recommend this game, it's a ton of fun and I was able to pick it up on Amazon for -50% (it's still up)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I recently got to play Hallertau, the new game by Uwe Rosenberg (designer of Agricola, Patchwork, and many other games). It is his first game set in the Tau Empire of the Warhammer 40k universe. Either that or it's about farming in the Hallertau region of Bavaria. One of the two.

It's an agricultural eurogame with a frankly shocking amount of card play. Most resource-management eurogames abhor the randomness of card draws, or at least minimize their impact. Hallertau leans very heavily into its cards. There are dozens available in every game, each providing a unique bonus and/or scoring opportunity. You don't have to focus on cards - you could just stick with the handful of basic cards in your starting hand and never draw more - but it's hard (for me) to resist their siren song.

I'm looking forward to playing again to explore the cards further, especially some of the different decks that we didn't use in our first game. This is not my favorite Rosenberg - it lacks the personality of Agricola or Caverna - but it's satisfying experience and plays relatively quickly.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:56 pm It is his first game set in the Tau Empire of the Warhammer 40k universe. Either that or it's about farming
Now I want a farming game set in the Tau Empire.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

What I've played this month:
Spoiler:
I got some feedback that I need to be more enthusiastic or something, someone sent me an email and said that too often it sounds like I'm reading the news. I can see where he's coming from though, maybe I am a bit too serious. :)

I'm not promising anything though, I can't stand overly enthusiastic board game youtubers :tjg: .
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Three words: side kick monkey
Covfefe!
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

hepcat wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:02 pm Three words: side kick monkey
:mrgreen:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Or would that be two? Is it sidekick or side kick?

In either case, dress him like a 40s detective and name him Mr. Meeples for that extra oomph.
Covfefe!
Tao

Post by Tao »

hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:35 am Or would that be two? Is it sidekick or side kick?

In either case, dress him like a 40s detective and name him Mr. Meeples for that extra oomph.
While technically an ape and not a monkey, my thought was to have Dr. Zaius as a sidekick. EzeKiel and Dr. Zaius could play various board games and Dr. Zaius would exhibit total disdain for his human opponent and be all pretentious and then say things like "Your a menace, a walking pestilence" when he loses.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Lords of Waterdeep doesn't hit the table often, but every time it does I'm reminded what a fantastic game it is. And I'm always left wondering why we don't play it more. I do feel the slightest bit guilty about crushing Little B 12.0's spirit with a 220-180 victory.

Also, Obi Wan Catnobi is either the best or worst Lord of Waterdeep. I haven't decided yet.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It really is a great game. I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but if you want the same feel but in a different format, I would recommend Quests of Valaria. You can play solo and overall it's a much faster game where you're hiring adventures to complete quests as core game play.

I don't think the payoff (scoring at the end) is as fun, but I still recommend it and I don't see it mentioned often.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:12 pm Lords of Waterdeep doesn't hit the table often, but every time it does I'm reminded what a fantastic game it is. And I'm always left wondering why we don't play it more. I do feel the slightest bit guilty about crushing Little B 12.0's spirit with a 220-180 victory.

Also, Obi Wan Catnobi is either the best or worst Lord of Waterdeep. I haven't decided yet.

This has been an all-time favorite of mine since I first played it with the game developer at Winter Fantasy many years ago. We played a preview copy and I had to wait like 6 months to play it again. It was torture. Probably my favorite worker placement game.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Anonymous Bosch

hentzau wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:42 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:12 pm Lords of Waterdeep doesn't hit the table often, but every time it does I'm reminded what a fantastic game it is. And I'm always left wondering why we don't play it more. I do feel the slightest bit guilty about crushing Little B 12.0's spirit with a 220-180 victory.
This has been an all-time favorite of mine since I first played it with the game developer at Winter Fantasy many years ago. We played a preview copy and I had to wait like 6 months to play it again. It was torture. Probably my favorite worker placement game.
Ditto.

Personally, I much prefer playing the game using the custom wooden meeples for Lords of Waterdeep AKA DnDeeples (although I dunno if they're still available, as they're currently out of stock):

They add some welcome thematic character and flavour to the game and make it feel more like you're actually recruiting clerics, wizards, fighters, and rogues rather than just gathering abstracted eurogame-style coloured cubes.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Why is the cleric playing tennis?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:01 pm Why is the cleric playing tennis?
Because fraternizing with tennis-playing doctors is how they maintain their healing proficiency and vigour, natch.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My brother brought Everdell in his suitcase for Spring Break, and we played a couple games today. For as much as people gush about it, I thought it was kinda meh. Really slow at the start, with a frantic flurry of interconnected activity at the end. Then again, engine builders have never really been my thing.

We also played a few rounds of Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza, which was hilarious.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

My wife and I tried our first game of Obsession today. Boy, is the theme in that game great, and it manifests in the gameplay so well: hosting an American heiress will make you heaps of cash as she throws her newfound wealth around, but your reputation will take a serious hit. Hosting a crippled war veteran will bring you prestige, but you'll need to assign an extra footman to help him around.

It's a bit tricky to learn. The manual is thorough to a fault, which means you have to wade through a lot of text to grok the rules. But the effort was worth it, I think. There are plenty of decisions to chew on, and the theme keeps it bouncing along joyfully.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I managed to snag a copy of Lost Ruins of Arnak at Barnes & Noble today. A bit of an impulse buy because it's been sold out everywhere the past couple of months and only sporadically comes back into stock before selling out again. It's quite the table hog, but nicely organized. Looking forward to trying it out tonight.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:20 pm I managed to snag a copy of Lost Ruins of Arnak at Barnes & Noble today. A bit of an impulse buy because it's been sold out everywhere the past couple of months and only sporadically comes back into stock before selling out again. It's quite the table hog, but nicely organized. Looking forward to trying it out tonight.
I had this in my hands and decided against it today. Need to play some of the other games I’ve picked up lately.

Was it on sale for you? Seems like a bunch of folks on BGG are claiming B&N board games are on sale right now, but my store didn’t seem to know anything about that.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Not on sale, but with my 10% membership it came out to be about what I'd pay to order online + shipping. They had Abomination: Heir to Frankenstein for $25 which was really tempting, and a few other decent titles.

I did get a round in tonight on the easiest level and pulled out a 4-point victory (which was really surprising since I had no clue on strategy). I guess that's why it's the easy level though.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Need to give it a few more sessions before I can really compare it to Dune: Imperium, but one thing I really liked *better* than Dune is that deck building plays a much stronger role. I also like the gameplay arc. You start out taking maybe 3 or 4 actions to the automa's 10, and things seem a bit hopeless. By the final round, however, the automa is waiting on you as you chain combos and scrounge for every last VP. The automa is as easy to run as Dune's also, which makes for a really fast, smooth solo experience.

I've heard some people say you only need one or the other, but based on first impressions I think there's plenty of room for both on the shelf. Arnak makes up for Dune's weak deck building and uses a bit more abstracted point race. Dune adds the nifty combat strategy and plays with a tighter, less abstracted point race. Both are great.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:23 pm It really is a great game. I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but if you want the same feel but in a different format, I would recommend Quests of Valaria. You can play solo and overall it's a much faster game where you're hiring adventures to complete quests as core game play.

I don't think the payoff (scoring at the end) is as fun, but I still recommend it and I don't see it mentioned often.
Thanks for this recommendation. We played it with 5 tonight and really liked it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:

Yeah, that damn Smoove got me to buy a copy off Amazon too.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Awesome - glad to hear it. There's people that rave about all the Valeria titles, but I've only ever played Quests and Card Kingdoms (which wasn't my bag).
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I played a couple rounds solo as well, and it works fantastic. A very quick, easy solitaire game.

Quick question on solo though. Does the game end when the last card is drawn from either the Citizen or Quest deck, or when all the cards have cycled through the line? I did the latter, and got one last quest that bumped me over the 40 mark. 8-)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The game ends when one of the decks (Quests or Citizens) is empty, not when you've cycled through the line. But if you're having fun,that the best part of solo gaming. :D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Stopped by the last B&N I hadn’t been to yet...still not a single game on sale. :(

However, they did have a copy of Lost Ruins of Arnak still in stock, so I grabbed it. It’s all punched, will jump in later tonight.

Also picked up a copy of Harry Potter: Hogwart’s Battle for my Potter-obsessed family. While I’m not big on HP, I thought it was a fun - if basic - deck builder. The theming seemed to go a really long way for the kids; who absolutely loved it. I’ll admit that I was wildly impressed with how they structured the game to introduce new mechanics and more difficult scenarios through the individual “boxes”. While we all picked picked it up very easily, it’s a genius way to ease non-gamers or those new to deck builders into the genre. Two huge thumbs up for that.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I love Hogwarts Battle. While it is sometimes criticized for being a beginner's level deck builder, the game can get downright NASTY in the later levels, and even more so with the Book of Monsters expansion.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:24 pm I love Hogwarts Battle. While it is sometimes criticized for being a beginner's level deck builder, the game can get downright NASTY in the later levels, and even more so with the Book of Monsters expansion.
Yeah, years 5+ are downright evil.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

We tried the extended variant of Obsession, which stretches the game from 12 to 16 turns. What a difference those extra four turns make. We had dukes and countesses spilling out of our estates, showering us in prestige and pounds sterling. My wife more than doubled her score from our regular-length game, but I still managed to get the win, thanks to some very wealthy guests. It was a lot of fun.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just finished my first playthrough of Lost Ruins of Arnak, defeating the AI (on the easiest level, all greens)...which likely means I was doing something completely wrong. :lol: First impressions are that it is absolutely fantastic. More thoughts after I get a couple games under my belt, but I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Side note: Are anyone else’s magnifying class and notebook tokens blank? All the pics I’ve seen of the game shows artwork printed on each of these, but mine are just a blank square (notebook) and blobby shape (magnifying glass). Not a deal-breaker by any means, just thought it was odd.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Skinypupy wrote:Side note: Are anyone else’s magnifying class and notebook tokens blank? All the pics I’ve seen of the game shows artwork printed on each of these, but mine are just a blank square (notebook) and blobby shape (magnifying glass).
Skiny, there should be a decal sheet in there for the magnifying glass/notebook tokens. Easy to overlook, and kind of a pain.

Glad you're enjoying it. I have yet to beat it on "normal" (2 red cards), but I'm still exploring different strategies.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:07 am
Skinypupy wrote:Side note: Are anyone else’s magnifying class and notebook tokens blank? All the pics I’ve seen of the game shows artwork printed on each of these, but mine are just a blank square (notebook) and blobby shape (magnifying glass).
Skiny, there should be a decal sheet in there for the magnifying glass/notebook tokens. Easy to overlook, and kind of a pain.

Glad you're enjoying it. I have yet to beat it on "normal" (2 red cards), but I'm still exploring different strategies.
Thanks...I completely missed that. :)

Has anyone heard an ETA on when the solo campaign will be released? The link on the Czech Games site just goes to the standard instruction manual.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Played my second game of Hallertau tonight. Everyone improved their scores from the first game, which is a sign that it has some real strategic depth that we're all starting to grasp. I focused more on the cards and less on the "community center" scoring track this time, which kept things unpredictable and fun. We're definitely going to play this some more, to try out the other decks and see if we can continue to push up our scores.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:06 am I've been playing Clans of Caledonia on BGA with some friends. After a few games, I'm not terribly impressed. It seems like there are games that do what it's trying to do but better (e.g. Terra Mystica). And, at least so far, there doesn't seem to be many winning strategies other than just getting as much money as you can early in the game.
I just started playing it (on BGA) and am really enjoying it. It's not nearly as complex as Terra Mystica. Also, I'm finding that over value money grabbing early and need to work on resource generation and learning the value of the market.