[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Blackhawk

Re: [Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I'm thinking of something more like that. I don't have the means to craft something like that (again, no woodworking tools or experience), but I was thinking that opening the window, sticking in a box fan pointing out, then draping the whole thing with a blanket to keep the cold air from coming in around it. Then I'd just stick a smaller fan on my work table pointed at the window.

Not ideal, but better than nothing. Later on when I can afford it, I might try something like this, but I'll have to do the research to find one that's easy to remove when I'm not using it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight’s work...

“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:31 am 'ello, mummy!

I've gotten very little done over the past week. I bent over about 20 degrees a little over a week ago, and my back went, "POP!" Since then, I can barely stand to sit in the painting position (hunched forward) for more than a few minutes. Still, I've gotten some progress made on my 7th Continent stuff.
How's your back?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fardaza wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:14 pm

How's your back?
Follows me around everywhere I go.

Actually, it's doing a little better, but I'll answer that in EBG rather than clog this up.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This lady is from the Champions of Hara expansion. All of those tiny flowers were a pain.

Buatha

Post by Buatha »

When I grow up, I want to be able to paint like hentzau.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Buatha wrote:When I grow up, I want to be able to paint like hentzau.
All just trickery and boredom. But thank you! And here. This is what I got done this weekend. I still have to paint it, but it’s pretty cool IMHO.

“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:o
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That look amazing. Can't wait to see it painted up.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight’s work...

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Printed last night...

Actually a bit afraid to start painting this one. The GeeBee SuperSport planes had very distinct markings and I’m concerned I won’t do it justice.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Malificent wrote:
hentzau wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:38 am Tonight’s work.

I love this one. Something about the way the shadows look on it.
Maleficent, I missed your comment before, thanks a lot. Those mummy figures I painted using a zenethal prime and contrast paints. Sometimes it works, sometimes it’s a big old mess.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight’s work...

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight’s work.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Stupid, sexy mummy.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Like the Mummy’s skin tone. What did you use?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud wrote:Like the Mummy’s skin tone. What did you use?
Contrast paint...darkoath flesh over a zenethal prime. The wrappings were done with Skeleton horde.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight’s work is what happens when right before bed you tell yourself you’re going to grab 4 pots of paint without looking and see what happens. Sorry, little dude. It’s all my fault.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight’s work…

Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I haven't posted anything in a while, it feels like. I was out for a couple weeks for foot surgery+recovery and I've been churning away since at Folklore minis so I can get back to playing the game. But I wanted to share a couple of my favorites from recent painting jags.

Plague Doctor

This may be one of my favorites of late. It's a multi-brand paint job, as I used Warcolours gel paints for the main robe and Citadel Contrast for the potion spray, Scale 75 for ink for the various wood and metal parts and Vallejo game color for mask, hat, and shoes.

Crocodile

This one was just bloody fun to paint - the miniature was a really interesting sculpt and I got to practice thinning out and combining Contrast paints.

Malificent

Post by Malificent »

More Folklore stuff - the Anatomist - lots of fun little details on this guy:

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

He seems nice.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Finished four of these guys tonight…

Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Finally finished up with my latest project... figures from the Unmatched series. Unmatched is a very light tactical skirmish-like game. You have a fighter who usually comes with 1 or more sidekicks (represented in game with plastic discs with faces painted on them, not miniatures) and you move around a board and play cards from your own character specific deck. These cards do all sorts of things but the focus of the game is on combat cards. If I'm attacking I play a card face down and the defender has the option to play a defense card. Cards are then revealed and if I played a 5 attack vs. your 2 defense I inflict 3 damage.

As I said, it's very light but the complexity comes in various special abilities that are triggered by the played attack/defense cards, and once you know the characters there's a lot of mind games about figuring out what cards to play and when. A good example is Medusa, who has a few stone gaze attacks that "only" do 2 damage but the catch is if any of that damage goes through (meaning the target played no defense, or just a 1 defense) you deal an extra 8 damage, which is huge.

The game has a lot of content out for it. I decided to broaden my horizons just a bit and did some highlighting (I'm still very hesitant about it... it's very subtle) and did the skin tones in a flesh-colored wash instead of just doing everything in brown like I usually do :P First up is the original game, Battle of Legends Volume 1. This is King Arthur, grownup Alice from Wonderland, Sinbad and Medusa:

Here are figures from the first 2 expansions, Robin Hood vs. Bigfoot and the Bruce Lee single character pack:

Next up is the first of a few Jurassic Park themed sets (the only one out so far), Ingen vs. Raptors. I was annoyed when this set came out as the bases have sculpted details on them while the rest do not. Made me go back over everything else and put my very basic terrain and grass on. This is Robert Muldoon (the "clever girl" game warden) vs. the Raptors:

Next up is probably my favorite set of the bunch, another larger box like the Battle of Legends Volume 1 called Cobble and Fog. Here's Dracula, Dr. Jekyll, Sherlock Holmes and The Invisible Man:

Besides watching the original movie a looong time ago, I know nothing about Buffy the Vampire Slayer but they have an Unmatched set too so here is Angel, Buffy, Spike and Willow:

Finally is their latest smaller expansion, Little Red vs. Beowulf:

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Great paint jobs! I love that invisible man figure. Very clever sculpt.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

hentzau wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:15 am Great paint jobs! I love that invisible man figure. Very clever sculpt.
I'm just impressed at how invisible that paint is. Citadel never ceases to amaze.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Really happy with how this one turned out. Needed smooth skin and a lot of detail work in the vines, which is not always my strongest suit. I have 5 more monsters to paint and then I'm done with Folklore and all its expansions and extra content. Very excited.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

One more that I ended up really happy with:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoa, very nice. Was that part of the Kickstarter? I still need to try this again. I kind of gave up after an initially disappointing experience with the 1st edition. But I’ve heard they made it better since then. I backed the upgrade kit, so I should have all the new rules/cards.
Covfefe!
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Yeah, part of the Fall of the Dark Spirem expansion. So far, I've found it to be somewhat fidgety, but with an enjoyable narrative. It really is like D&D in a box, with all the pluses and minuses therein.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Current project…modular city tiles for Pulp Alley and Marvel Crisis Protocol and Fallout Wasteland Warfare and…

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Premade? Printed? Scratch built? Terrain fairy?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Scratch built. Pretty easy, but time consuming. Link to video instructions.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah, Fat Dragon glued to foam core. I have some Fat Dragon (and World Works) stuff. That's fairly simple, although the printing would be a bit of a pain.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:Ah, Fat Dragon glued to foam core. I have some Fat Dragon (and World Works) stuff. That's fairly simple, although the printing would be a bit of a pain.
You mean the resizing? I just used the PDF reader and increased the size to 114% and printed on my home printer. That brought the block size to 8” square. Pretty easy.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:58 am
Blackhawk wrote:Ah, Fat Dragon glued to foam core. I have some Fat Dragon (and World Works) stuff. That's fairly simple, although the printing would be a bit of a pain.
You mean the resizing? I just used the PDF reader and increased the size to 114% and printed on my home printer. That brought the block size to 8” square. Pretty easy.
No, I mean that I have a really crappy printer that makes papercraft terrain look flat and faded, and the nearest place the will print in color is 30 miles from here and is fairly expensive.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Malificent wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:16 am Yeah, part of the Fall of the Dark Spirem expansion. So far, I've found it to be somewhat fidgety, but with an enjoyable narrative. It really is like D&D in a box, with all the pluses and minuses therein.
Are you playing solo or with a group? If solo, are you playing with more than one character?
Covfefe!
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

hepcat wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:15 pm
Malificent wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:16 am Yeah, part of the Fall of the Dark Spire expansion. So far, I've found it to be somewhat fidgety, but with an enjoyable narrative. It really is like D&D in a box, with all the pluses and minuses therein.
Are you playing solo or with a group? If solo, are you playing with more than one character?
It's my wife and I, but we're each playing two characters. At default, the game does not scale well down, also like D&D modules. At 2 characters total, we felt a little overwhelmed. With 4 between us, we felt like we had it under control with some definitely challenges, especially around the bosses. If playing solo, I might play 2 characters and make some adjustments on the fly to power up characters.

The first thread below (especially the post by Skip) sums up my feelings pretty well. The second one is just a nice way to arrange the board. There's a lot of stuff in this game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/187126 ... -solo-play

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/238006 ... ace-work-b
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cool, thanks for the tips!
Covfefe!
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Just wanted to share my moment of triumph as I have finished painting Folklore: The Affliction and its approximately 140 minis. It feels very good to get done with something. Now on to painting the 12 remaining Gloomhaven minis. That should be a breeze comparatively...