Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

RMC

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by RMC »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:25 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:22 pm There's a solo campaign in the original as well.
Yeah? As I recall (from what I had) it was a series of challenges that just escalated in difficulty. I didn't get the impression there was any kind of linked narrative. Maybe it was what I had? My impression was that it was entry-level super basic set used as in introduction to the mechanics.
You both suck... I actually got all of Too Many bones because of Hepcat...Now it looks like I need this as well..
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I backed Stationfall, even though at least one of my friends is already backing it. It looks ridiculous and odd, and apparently I can't resist a weird game.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

RMC wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:50 pm You both suck... I actually got all of Too Many bones because of Hepcat...Now it looks like I need this as well..
I didn't know you picked up too many bones. When did you get that? I would have had you lug it to my dad's place in March when I was visiting family for our game day.

Although the learning curve may have been a bit daunting for the one new player.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:08 pm
RMC wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:50 pm You both suck... I actually got all of Too Many bones because of Hepcat...Now it looks like I need this as well..
I didn't know you picked up too many bones. When did you get that? I would have had you lug it to my dad's place in March when I was visiting family for our game day.

Although the learning curve may have been a bit daunting for the one new player.
Sorry, should have mentioned it. Picked it up right before Covid hit. Was planning on bringing it to Origins I think.. Can't remember that far back. But been picking up expansions every so often now.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Did you get that embarrassingly large trove chest for storage?

And have you tried the dice and splice expansion? I love creating a boss as I play.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:42 pm Did you get that embarrassingly large trove chest for storage?

And have you tried the dice and splice expansion? I love creating a boss as I play.
Yes, and have not really played it yet..
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They have a Tabletop Simulator version. We should give it a go some night/weekend.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:03 pm They have a Tabletop Simulator version. We should give it a go some night/weekend.
That sounds like fun.. Can't do this weekend, but we can plan something soon...ish..

And if Origins really happens, then I will bring with me there and then.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been clean for two months, and only one 'big ticket' item all year!

:dance:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Montag

Post by Montag »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:03 pm They have a Tabletop Simulator version. We should give it a go some night/weekend.
Raises hand. Have the full kit myself and willing.
words
Montag

Post by Montag »

Got the terraforming Mars bigbox yesterday. Took awhile to get each of the 200 individually packaged cubed out. Reminds of the Fisher Price figures wrapped with all the wires. Overall I am pleased. Some quibbles. A box is too tight for sleeved cards and I wished the cube trays were heavier gauge material. Will likely get a game in this weekend with it.
words
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Montag wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:02 pm
Cool, friend me on steam if you haven’t already and we’ll get something going soon. Just look for hepcat on steam. I know Zarathud would play too.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've played a few games and would probably be willing to sit in if you find you need more gearlocks.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Montag wrote:
Yes. We must play.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'll play around with it and make sure it works well then.

I also enjoy Arkham Horror 3rd edition, dune imperium, terraforming Mars, pax Renaissance and ashes on tss.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Ran through Nemesis on TTS recently. It's pretty well done. I'd run that for anyone interested, but I only like the full co-op version. I really don't enjoy "hidden traitor" mechanics.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

YellowKing wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:41 pm I'm struggling to decide between going just Victorum, just Hoplo Remastered or both. Getting both is a BIG ask, and would be fiscally irresponsible if I'm being honest. But one or the other I could swing.

My gut says go Hoplo, because you can still play solo and have the versatility to play with a group if needed (not that I've EVER played Lost Cities with a group). Plus I never owned any of the games outside of Lost Cities, so all that content would be new to me.

On the other hand, the solo campaign for Victorum looks really intriguing. The other option is to just pass and pick it up after release, since Chip Theory stuff is always available from their web store (or GenCon booth) eventually.
So I own all the previous content and I had the same thoughts. That said, I already pledged at the All-In level, because I like the game enough to want the update. I may, however, drop down to just Victorum, since it seems... I don't know... extravagent to get an updated version of content I already own (I mean, what will I do with the old stuff). Buuuttttt.... the big draw for getting Remastered is that you can use it in Victorum, and the old stuff is not compatible.

I also want the metal die (because I loved the original metal die), but they just seem like an expensive bit of needless bling.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Metal dice are also considered a personal home defense weapon, if that helps.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

YellowKing wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:41 pm I'm struggling to decide between going just Victorum, just Hoplo Remastered or both. Getting both is a BIG ask, and would be fiscally irresponsible if I'm being honest. But one or the other I could swing.

My gut says go Hoplo, because you can still play solo and have the versatility to play with a group if needed (not that I've EVER played Lost Cities with a group). Plus I never owned any of the games outside of Lost Cities, so all that content would be new to me.

On the other hand, the solo campaign for Victorum looks really intriguing. The other option is to just pass and pick it up after release, since Chip Theory stuff is always available from their web store (or GenCon booth) eventually.
I actually did the all in option but then got hit with a bit of fiscal guilt and backed out of the whole thing. Now I'm wondering the same thing as you. Maybe the newer game is the way since that was designed as a solo campaign from the beginning? Or maybe I'll just pay our taxes.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Siljanus wrote:Now I'm wondering the same thing as you.
I've decided to just back Victorum. The savings are greater off retail than Hoplo Remastered ($20 vs $5), and all the reviews I've seen have been very positive.

Given I already own Hoplomachus: Lost Cities, I have the ability to play "base" Hoplo already, so Remastered is more of the same vs the net new campaign style of Victorum.

I'd LOVE to go both, but $255 is just a bridge too far. If, after playing Victorum, I just haven't gotten my fill, I can always pick up the Remastered box down the road.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm just backing Victorum as well and I'll likely get the premium health chips. I guess without needing to upgrade an older game its an easy choice, but I honestly don't see playing this as anything but solo. Maybe if my gaming group was different I'd need to consider other choices.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:17 pm I'm just backing Victorum as well and I'll likely get the premium health chips. I guess without needing to upgrade an older game its an easy choice, but I honestly don't see playing this as anything but solo. Maybe if my gaming group was different I'd need to consider other choices.

Sigh...fine. You really need to stop backing stuff though. It's killing me.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ok Hoplomachus: Victorum backed. Ricky Royal had to go and make a playthrough video and that was, of course, the final straw.

It really does look amazing though. Having not read up on it much, I was surprised to see what a "meaty" solo experience it was. The campaign looks to be quite lengthy, with many interesting choices to make along the way. Could it dethrone Nemo's War as my favorite "pure" solo game? Based on that playthrough, I think it's a very strong possibility.

And you may as well be prepared to pony up an extra $15 for that sweet Hero Mat. :horse:
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

YellowKing wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:02 pm Ok Hoplomachus: Victorum backed. Ricky Royal had to go and make a playthrough video and that was, of course, the final straw.

It really does look amazing though. Having not read up on it much, I was surprised to see what a "meaty" solo experience it was. The campaign looks to be quite lengthy, with many interesting choices to make along the way. Could it dethrone Nemo's War as my favorite "pure" solo game? Based on that playthrough, I think it's a very strong possibility.

And you may as well be prepared to pony up an extra $15 for that sweet Hero Mat. :horse:
Yup, that decided it for me. I really gotta stop looking at the internet...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just finalized my order for my Wyrmwood gaming table. Ye gods and little fishes...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Did you spring for the optional lift mechanism?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:58 pm Did you spring for the optional lift mechanism?
No, this is their modular gaming table, not they Prophecy. I'm crazy, but not THAT crazy.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was done with Kickstarter... until Tim Fowers announced his next game...

Solo deckbuilding rogue-like word game. Bet you didn't see THAT coming!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoa, Chip Theory Games, makers of Too Many Bones and other great, luxury level games, just sent out an announcement teaser for a project in 2022....and it was the Elder Scrolls logo alongside Bethesda’s logo. :shock:
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah just shut up and take my money now. "But you don't know even what it i--" SHHHHH TAKE THE MONEY.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if they're going to adapt Too Many Bones to the franchise?

Although it will most likely just be a brand new series, I'm guessing.

Between this and Modiphius getting the Elder Scrolls and Fallout licenses for miniature gaming, Bethesda's really is making a push into tabletop gaming.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:49 pm Whoa, Chip Theory Games, makers of Too Many Bones and other great, luxury level games, just sent out an announcement teaser for a project in 2022....and it was the Elder Scrolls logo alongside Bethesda’s logo. :shock:
More specifically, the Elder Scrolls Online logo.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When I saw they couldn't even talk about it until 2022, I just posed it in the Tabletop thread. Seems like we're a long way off from hearing anything. Unlike Pulp Alley - launched today.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Pulp Alley Kickstarter?

Just as I'm making my "no Kickstarters, no spending money on stuff for 'potential' future use" change?

That's just heartless.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I exist to enable. :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Pulp Alley and Rangers of the Shadow Deep were the only two sets of book-based rules that made it past my purge.
raydude

Post by raydude »

coopasonic wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:44 pm I was done with Kickstarter... until Tim Fowers announced his next game...

Solo deckbuilding rogue-like word game. Bet you didn't see THAT coming!
Wow, I didn't realize I wanted a game like this until I saw it. It actually made me cancel my pledge to Hoplomachus: Victorum in favor of this one. Also, led me to pre-order his Hardback game (when it gets reprinted).
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:11 am When I saw they couldn't even talk about it until 2022, I just posed it in the Tabletop thread. Seems like we're a long way off from hearing anything. Unlike Pulp Alley - launched today.

Smoove, I'm amazed. Beat me to the punch.

I absolutely love this game. The game system, the genre, the minis. It's truly a two-person operation...so even though I have a lot of stuff being offered already I went for the all-in pledge because I want to support this game and the people running it.

If someone is looking for an intro to minis gaming, that Starter Box Set is a great deal.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

I think I discovered the game right after their last KS or a major printing so I added them to my KS watch list to be notified when their next one hit. I'm pretty sure that was ~3 years ago. I had the basic magazine style rules but could never get the cards so it left my radar. I'd need to see if it's a game I can solo as I'm expecting that's the only way it'll be played. I really liked the theme and yeah, the box seems like a great deal.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote::D

I think I discovered the game right after their last KS or a major printing so I added them to my KS watch list to be notified when their next one hit. I'm pretty sure that was ~3 years ago. I had the basic magazine style rules but could never get the cards so it left my radar. I'd need to see if it's a game I can solo as I'm expecting that's the only way it'll be played. I really liked the theme and yeah, the box seems like a great deal.
All you need is the PA Solo deck to play solo.