Xbox Series X & Series S

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Xbox Series X & Series S

Post by hepcat »

It's the xbox itself. I tried it on another tv and the same thing happened. Furthermore, I tested another x/s optimized game (dark alliance) and there were tons of artifacts on the screen the entire time. I think when the gpu is taxed even a little, it just goes kaput.

I set up a service call and paid for expedited shipping. I figure 10 bucks is worth it to hopefully get it fixed/replaced in short order.

Anyone return an xbox before? Do they send me a shipping box and I just use that? I'm supposed to get an email on this, but haven't seen one yet.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

Wow, that stinks. So hard to get these things. I hope you aren't waiting forever for a fix.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I still have my Xbox one x, so I’ll have something to tide me over. I’m also kind of regretting the purchase the more I hear about xCloud. Call me crazy, but I think that may signal the beginning of the end for console hardware.
Covfefe!
disarm

Post by disarm »

Sorry to hear the bad news, but I bet they'll get you a working console quickly...will probably just send a replacement as soon as the busted one arrives.

I've had my Series X for six months now and haven't had a single issue other than a lack of time to play as much as I would like. While there aren't a lot of new games pushing next-gen graphics or gameplay yet, I still find it to be a significant step up from my Xbox One X simply because of decreased load times and Quick Resume. There's really no overstating just how awesome it is to sit down, turn on the Series X, and be playing a game from exactly the moment I left it in a matter of seconds...then switching to a different game and again pickup up exactly where I left off almost instantly. The days of putting my controller down and reading on my phone during load screens are over, and it allows me to make much better use of the often-limited gaming time that I have. I passed my OneX down to the kids, and it's become annoying to play there with them because of the load times
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

disarm wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:55 pm The days of putting my controller down and reading on my phone during load screens are over,
This made me laugh because it’s so relatable. :lol:
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

One game which breaks with Quick Resume is Star Wars : Squadrons.

If you don't exit it, the campaign missions break and events don't get triggered.

EA of course.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In case anyone is interested, this is a clip of what was happening for me:

In AC Valhalla, I would have the artifacts...but also any source of light brighter than a torch would just fill the screen completely with light.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My first thought on watching the video is that it is distance fogging creating the artifacts (based on what just appeared each time the artifacts show up.) I'd look at any Game Mode/Sharpening/Motion settings. They are known to cause artifacts with some games/consoles.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Problem is that that's in HDR mode. On my TV it automatically goes into HDR mode when it detects HDR. So you can't actually turn on game mode. And I have turned off any cinemotion/reality motion/any other enhancements for HDR mode.

Also, I never had any problems like this on my Xbox One X or the previous Xbox One that I traded in for the X. And on those I actually did have some of the enhancement stuff enabled.

Finally, I did try this (briefly and without making any setting changes) on a Samsung at work before creating the service call with the same results too. So it would have to be something that a lot more people have had issues with if it were the TV side of things.

My guess is a failing GPU. Artifacts like that can appear on GPUs that are dying when they're put under load. I don't have much trouble with games that don't tax the GPU on that box, but the moment I turn on a newer game that's optimized for X/S, it starts displaying stuff like that.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ah, the memories of trash graphics showing up on the ice in NHL when one of my SLI Monster 3D IIs was gasping its last...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Yeah, that looks like a faulty GPU to me. I've had that before when there were issues with drivers or overheating. There were some quality control issues with both the Xbox Series and PS5 at release. I suspect the microprocessor shortage hasn't made those any better if companies are trying to rush getting those without taking as much time in QA.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I missed that it was different in different games. I had very similar issues with Horizon Zero Dawn when I turned on the motion/input lag feature on my new TV, but it was limited to one type of object (bushes) on one game, not across multiple.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And I just got the notice that they're sending me a replacement. Hopefully this solves my problem.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Replacement received and set up. First thing I checked was the previously unplayable Asassin's Creed Valhalla and I'm happy to report all problems resolved. It looks great now. :D

Definitely getting the complete care warranty now though.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

Glad you got it fixed! Not bad turnaround time for a console that's so scarce.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sigh...Microsoft doesn't want to sell me a complete care warranty, even though I'm WELL within the 45 day period that the dictate for after purchase warranties, because it's been replaced.

So, I bought a bad one FROM Microsoft. Microsoft THEMSELVES sent me a replacement because they couldn't, or didn't want to, fix my old one, and now Microsoft doesn't consider it a new unit and won't sell me a warranty.

I've escalated the trouble ticket because this just pisses me off. :x
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Take a look at the benefits of whatever card you used to purchase it as well as your state’s warranty requirements.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unfortunately, I used Microsoft points for more than half the purchase. Those points were purchased with gift cards for Xbox Live over the last few years. So no way to get Amex to cover it, for example. But a good suggestion.

They did roll over my 1 year limited warranty from the old one to the new system. So I'm good on that. But I was hoping to get an extended warranty after getting spooked by a brand new xbox being defective.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Unfortunately, I used Microsoft points for more than half the purchase. Those points were purchased with gift cards for Xbox Live over the last few years. So no way to get Amex to cover it, for example. But a good suggestion.

They did roll over my 1 year limited warranty from the old one to the new system. So I'm good on that. But I was hoping to get an extended warranty after getting spooked by a brand new xbox being defective.
Not that I’m shilling for one of my employers affiliates, but SquareTrade is an option. I’ve been a customer and have gotten good service from them.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was wondering about that option. If Microsoft can't come through (they've opened a ticket on this and are supposed to get back to me within 24 to 1,372,305 hours) I may just do that. I used Squaretrade for my TV...although I never had to actually use the warranty.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I’ve had several, and been happy with the replacements I’ve received. They weren’t new devices but refurbished. I had an Xnox 360 die on me and the refurb they sent me worked great.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
disarm

Post by disarm »

And the honeymoon is over...

I love my Series X, but it has developed a problem after just over six months. My wired internet connection quit working yesterday, and I can now only get online using wifi. It's definitely a problem will the console because I can plug a laptop into the same line and get online immediately. I've tried rebooting the Xbox and even performing a full wipe/reset without any change. I guess I'll be contacting Microsoft soon about a warranty repair. Hopefully the process of sending it back won't be too difficult or take too long...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just anecdotal troubleshooting tips from someone who had a similar problem with a Shield TV not that long ago: I had this problem as I mentioned. But it turned out that the wired connection profile on my Archer TP-Link router/firewall had added my Shield TV to a blacklist for the wired network. Once I found that, I removed it and put in on the whitelist so it wouldn't re add it later. After that I've been fine.
Covfefe!
disarm

Post by disarm »

I talked to MS tonight and they've agreed to take my Series X for repair of the ethernet port under warranty. I just have to figure out how to pack it up to ship safely, slap on a prepaid shipping label (2nd-day air), drop it with UPS and wait. Interestingly, they give specific instructions not to send it in the original packaging, instead telling me to put it in "a more sturdy shipping box." Guess I have to find something...will probably end up using bubble wrap and an appropriately-sized box.

It's a little bit of a mystery how long it will take to get a working Xbox back after that. Once they receive it and decide on a solution (repair vs replace), they offer regular (11-14 day) return shipping for free, or expedited (6-9 day) shipping for $9.95. While it's probably a money-making racket, I went ahead and paid the $10 to get an Xbox back a little sooner. I'll be sending it out before I leave town for vacation at the end of this week, and will hopefully have it back within a month...
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

If anyone is still looking, I was able to order an Xbox Series X All Access bundle on Walmart about 10 minutes ago. Scheduled to arrive on October 5th.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

The Xbox Series X is back in stock at Walmart. For how long? Who can say?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just got an order in.

Thank you
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Congratulations. I was tempted but couldn't justify it after the unexpected monitor replacement.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Doesn't seem hard to get anymore. I just upgraded to the X from the S today. While the S is nice it's kind of annoying to bump into games that are only optimized for the X. (There's a ton of these...) Going to give the S to my daughter. I would like to get a PS5, but honestly it's still really freaking hard and I don't have the patience to check twitter feeds for drop times. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I signed up ages ago for that.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:02 pm Some Xbox Games Could Soon Have More Ads
...in free to play games. Which I can't complain about getting monetized.

The big downside is that it makes sports games more profitable, but makes speculative games where the ads don't fit (sci-fi, fantasy, etc don't really work well with a Geico billboard) less viable.

I play mostly the latter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Can someone explain to me how game sharing works on XBOX? I just grabbed the digital copy of Hogwarts Legacy on my Series X, and my daughter wants to play on her XBOX One S. From what I’ve read, I need to set HER console as my “home XBOX,” but that seems counterintuitive.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
disarm

Post by disarm »

If you both want to play at the same time, it's kind of a pain but possible. You can play the game anywhere under your account just by signing in with your gamertag because your account owns the game. This means you can download it at a friend's house, for example, and still play as long as you're signed in with your gamertag. Anyone else that wants to play, using their account/gamertag must do so on the 'home Xbox.' This will probably mean that you have to change her console to being the 'home' system.

This is what I've done so my son and I can both play at the same time. I now use my account to sign in on the Xbox that I use all the time, and the one he uses is the 'home Xbox' and it works out. The change isn't a big deal though...quick and easy in the Settings menu.

Last edited by disarm on Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

disarm wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:50 pm If you both want to play at the same time, it's kind of a pain but possible. You can play the game anywhere under your account just by signing in with your gamertag because your account owns the game. This means you can download it at a friend's house, for example, and still play as long as you're signed in with your gamertag. Anyone else that wants to play, using their account/gamertag must do so on the 'home Xbox.' This will probably mean that you have to change her console to being the 'home' system.

This is what I've done so my son and I can both play at the same time. I now using my account to sign in on the Xbox that I use all the time, and the one he uses is the 'home Xbox' and it works out. The change isn't a big deal though...quick and easy in the Settings menu.
Thanks. That's much clearer than the explanations I've been able to find. Unfortunately, I've now realized that Hogwarts Legacy isn't compatible with her XBOX One S. It's only next gen for now, and the One S version comes up next month. Oh well.

Wonder if I'll have to buy that one separately for her to be able to play or if ownership of the next gen version will give me the prior gen version as well.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I think their Smart Delivery system means you only have to buy it once to play on any console.

Smart Delivery.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:12 pm I think their Smart Delivery system means you only have to buy it once to play on any console.

Smart Delivery.
Thanks! I think that’s right, and that should do the trick for me.