Days Gone PC ...zombies

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Octavious

Re: Days Gone PC ...zombies

Post by Octavious »

Still loving it. I'm getting confused on some mechanics like the primary weapons but a quick look showed that I just need to go to the one town first.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The game design is very much funnel-based (at least in the 40+ hours I've seen so far). You need to get to very specific story elements (the funnel) and then after that the game potentially opens up wide and lets you run down any number of side missions and/or general exploration. Sometimes the new options are location based (you arrive at or see a new area and get new missions) and other times they're seemingly just on a timer (as the days advance, characters you meet will contact you with new jobs). At some point though you'll be funneled into another plot choke point and the only way you're going to advance is to push through that next story item.

I happen to like that type of design, but I'm guessing it could seem rather linear if you're not into moving off the main story path when it becomes available.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I started this yesterday.......with k&m.

Controlling the bike was kinda wonky at first.
I may have to switch to controller, but I'm gonna see if I can tough it out.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

You are doing yourself a great disservice playing the keyboard and mouse. This is clearly a gamepad game.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I think so. It feels *perfect* on a controller - both combat and driving the motorcycle. I've been quite impressed lately at how well they seem to have accounted for different terrain types (mud, snow) and weather (rain storm, snow storm). Things can get nutty on the chopper. :lol:
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I think keyboard and mouse works just fine. Any game that requires me to snipe enemies is not a game I'm going to be able to play with a controller.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Normally I would agree. However, I think there is aim assist and being able to use focus (slowing down time) is critically important, particularly for managing overwhelming threats that come rushing at you.

I think if this was a true shooter I would have a harder time, but the gun play is more limited, at least how I've been playing. Lots more melee and motorcycle use, along with tossed...devices.

Regardless, we're all old so whatever works for you at this stage in your gaming career will likely be fine. :D
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Okay.....I just splurged $1.05 for a controller to play this game.
I'll probably die more times trying to get used to it then I would with k&m, but hopefully you guys are right and it makes the game play better.

He/Him/His/Porcupine
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

1 dollar? Me thinks you will be sent a picture of a controller lol

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Octavious wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:50 am 1 dollar? Me thinks you will be sent a picture of a controller lol
Haha.......I have an abundance of Best Buy rewards.
The worst thing about them is finding something I need/want before they expire.
It's like a game in itself!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There's definitely a bit of a learning curve, but just make sure things like aim assist or snap to aim are enabled (I think they are by default). Basically, when you go to shoot something it will bring up the reticle in a reasonable place, not aimed at the sky or at your feet.

The real benefit comes from driving and the quick access to the triggers, ABXY and shoulder buttons. To me, it all just feels *perfect*.

But the more you use it for 3rd person games, I'm convinced the more you'll wonder how you ever went so long without using a controller. :D
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Once you get the focus skill it really doesn't matter if you are using a gamepad. I'm 10 hours in and I feel like I've barely accomplished anything yet. I'm certainly not feeling bored in any way.
Spoiler:
Last mission I did yesterday was the one where you rescue the girl from the town. It's really well done how they tell the story and the set pieces were really fun. I mean plopping a gigantic bear next to my bike wasn't something I was expecting to happen. :lol:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So yeah, this new area is...something else. I'm about to hit 50 hours and I feel like I still have so much to do. For the new place they somehow managed to make some slight adjustments and ratchet things up a bit. I was feeling pretty good (other than hoards) in the starting area, but now? Been doing a lot of running away and avoiding again.

Either way, the design in the new area (landscapes) is quite interesting from an exploration perspective, but the actual act of exploring is much more dangerous. Save early, safe often!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Just recently started this on PS4 and enjoying it quite a bit. I liken it to a Western. You've got your trusty steed that you've got to feed and maintain and the combat feels quite deliberate, where each shot counts. I like that the motorcycle feels hefty, and it feels approriate as you ride across small hills, the suspension squeaking. And I like that sound plays a large role. Like in one early mission where you're tasked to secure a medical camp and get something there, the fact if you don't disable the speakers and then power on the generator attracting a large group of zombies. It's little touches like that adding to the experience.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The only thing that I really don't like is the main characters constant babble. He just says nonsense all the freaking time. And some of it is disturbing.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Octavious wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:14 pm And some of it is disturbing.
The main character is not a good person. He's trying, but he's definitely not right.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's the stabbing the people in the back and muttering that makes me go hmmmm. He also sounds like a crazier version of someone I play games online with Thunderball. :lol:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YOU LIKE THAT?

He's definitely an interesting character. :D

Random fact - the voice actor for Deacon St. John was the first walker that Rick Grimes killed in the pilot of the Walking Dead.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:19 pm
Octavious wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:14 pm And some of it is disturbing.
The main character is not a good person. He's trying, but he's definitely not right.
There's one scene that Smoove is probably close to that's all kinds of messed up. It's part of the character arc of the only person in the game who finds Deacon St. John to be a kind of weird name.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I mean, above and beyond his general role in the post-apocalyptic world (bounty hunter / camp clearer), there was something that came after the rat-drowning that definitely cemented for me he is not a good person. While he acknowledged it was fuct up, he didn't really seem to be torn up about it. If you're saying something even worse is going to happen? Yikes.

I did just have a funny moment while playing and trying to stealth-clear a raider camp. While rolling in on my chopper, I somehow managed to attract a roaming beaker, and I didn't realize it until he slapped me into a new zip code while I was scouting the enemy. At that point, the raiders are firing on me and the breaker is chasing me, so I just ran full-speed right into their camp and sure enough, the raiders quickly changed their focus from me to the breaker. He took out half of them; I took out the other half - camp cleared. I managed to find the bunker and we called it a day. Thanks breaker buddy!

The issue is the AI is evil enough that they usually knock your bike down so quick escape isn't possible. I had another situation where I somehow attracted a bear and had to quickly mount the bike and zip away. If you haven't figured that out yet, don't stop running - you can mount the bike from a run and quickly take off. It might save your life.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I found
roaming beaker
much more humorous than roaming breaker. :)

I seriously read the next two instances of that word as beaker as well. Im seeing a bird beaked Beeker from the Muppets in my head and laughing trying to see you and the npcs fight and running from that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:37 pm I found
roaming beaker
much more humorous than roaming breaker. :)

I seriously read the next two instances of that word as beaker as well. Im seeing a bird beaked Beeker from the Muppets in my head and laughing trying to see you and the npcs fight and running from that.
I didn't go so far as seeing Beeker from the Muppets, but I had the same issue. It was the last instance of "breaker" that made me stop and back up. I was like... oh... that makes more sense. I was trying to figure out what would cause a zombie to be called a "beaker". Part bird?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

Fingers aren't quite as fast as my brain sometimes. My high school typing teacher is yelling at me somewhere...

I accidentally stealth-killed a bReaker last night. Wouldn't have tried if I knew what I was doing, but I saw one of the zombies crouching over a dead animal and feeding so I slipped in behind it and took out the knife. I was rather surprised to see it was a breaker. Those things are ridiculous.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Just a little PSA. If you don't limit the FPS the game will MURDER your video card. I had the monitoring on in my other screen and saw my card was running at 91c. I locked it down to 60 FPS and it dropped all the way to a more normal 80. :shock:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh crap - I forgot to mention that! I saw the same thing when I first started the game and capped it at 60 fps. I actually asked a question about it in computer gaming randomness - like why would they allow that as a default setting as it seems like it could really blow out a card if you're not paying attention and leaving it idle.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Damnit I wish I had this. You make it sound so fun. One day. *Shakes fist*
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Didn't you have a PS4? Or am I confusing timelines?

But yes, this is absolutely the zombie apocalypse game I've always wanted. Is it perfect? Absolutely not, but it's fun as hell.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yeah I have a PS4. Would rather have it on PC if it plays on my system. I haven't touched my PS4 in years. Its sitting here dusty under my monitor. Plan to move it to the TV when I rearrange the entire room. Cant hear it well.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I mean, I'd rather be living with Kate Beckinsale during the pandemic, but I'm making due. :wink:

Seriously, as great as it is on PC if I had a PS4 sitting around and a PC that couldn't play it, I'd be getting enjoyment on a console. I think I've seen it for like $10 or maybe it will be ultra cheap for Black Friday. That's actually what I did for quite a few years back in the mid 2000s - switched to a lot of console (XBOX360) gaming. Now it's flipped.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, plus the game was one of the PS+ games a few months ago. That's how I'm playing it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm at 16 hours played and not getting bored at all. I would say this game has fantastic pacing in that there is always something to do without have 9,000 markers on the screen. (I'm looking at you Ubisoft). I only just took out my first horde. I climbed a tower and lured them over to me. :ninja:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

53 hours in and I still haven't fought a horde - they freak me out. :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cant hear much where my PS4 is right now. My only choice for sound is built in monitor speakers or headphones plugged into my controller. Both are so low I miss details and can barely hear anything. Its why I quit playing my PS4. I dont have room to move it to the tv as its at the foot of the bed and surrounded by tons of stuff. The entire room needs to be totally picked up and stored away and rearranged. Other than standard cleaning its still the same as when my wife died. I haven't moved much. But its time and I have the entire thing planned out in my head. I just dont have any money for storage boxes or anything right now. I had 75 cents in the bank last month. This month I have $12 until next month Nov 3rd. Im hoping to get by with that until then. So the room gets puts off as stuff continues to come up thats more important like my medicine and such. It may be a while. Dont have money for a game anyways no matter what system. Games are a low on the list luxury.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

20+ hours and I'm still loving it. It's really a shame the crap this game got when it first came out. It's really really good. One could argue it's simplistic in it's approach, but that's kind of what I like about it. There aren't 8 billion systems to remember and I'm not chasing question marks all over the map. What this game does so well is just the random encounters. It's so simple but it works because it's not overdone. I run into a bear every once in a while. Not every 5 seconds... That makes it much more interesting (cough Far Cry cough). I wish I recorded it, but I pulled off an amazing snipe with the crossbow of a biker. He was riding away from me at quite a distance and I lined up a perfect headshot. :twisted:

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:13 pm I cant hear much where my PS4 is right now. My only choice for sound is built in monitor speakers or headphones plugged into my controller. Both are so low I miss details and can barely hear anything. Its why I quit playing my PS4.
I think what you need is a good quality bluetooth/wireless headset. Your current one obviously isn't a good fit for you given the low sound output (which you can always change via the PS4), because if your only option is to plug it into your controller, your sound output likely isn't going to be the greatest. You need something that's powered. The low sound output is due to fact that you're relying purely on the software end to do the job, and some headsets just aren't adequate for that.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bluetooth? I have some bluetooth earbuds I use all the time. Didn't know the PS4 had bluetooth. Hmmm.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:30 pm I mean, I'd rather be living with Kate Beckinsale during the pandemic, but I'm making due. :wink:
No, you're not. And now your high school English teacher is also yelling at you somewhere, alongside your typing teacher.

Enlarge Image

But alas, this is what happens when you drop your yods. :wink:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:58 pm Bluetooth? I have some bluetooth earbuds I use all the time. Didn't know the PS4 had bluetooth. Hmmm.
Very few are compatible natively.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:58 pm Bluetooth? I have some bluetooth earbuds I use all the time. Didn't know the PS4 had bluetooth. Hmmm.
Yeah, they just need to use a dongle that you connect to the front of the ps4. Thing about connecting a headset via the controller is that while the controller has amp capabilities, it doesn't have enough power to drive higher some with higher impedance, hence why you might be experiencing low sound. You'd need a PS4 compatible headset. I had a headset that died recently, ie stopped being able to hear party chat with it, and to test things, I plugged in a different headset (wired) in that I normally use for my PC, but couldn't use the mic with it due to specifics in how the PS4 uses audio. I do a lot of gaming and watching TV with it and a good headset makes a big difference. You don't even have to pay a bundle to find something that's reasonably priced. I bought a Nacon 700HS and they'd be reasonably priced in US Dollars. Beyond that, you would adjust your system audio to find the perfect balance.

This one for example is even a step up to the one I bought and for less:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cant see your link without the tags. But can see it by quoting it to copy it....nice headset. The ones I did used were Seinheiser Game Zero. High end but they have had it. I packed them away to see if I can repair one day.

Its ok. Ill just wait as I want it on the 38" tv at the foot of the bed. Can sit in bed and play and see it and hear it :) No hurry really.