XBOX Gamepass for PC

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Fardaza

XBOX Gamepass for PC

Post by Fardaza »

Could someone please explain how XBOX Gamepass works on PC?

My understanding from reading the official site is that I download an app that then plays the games.

1- How does this app work, etc.?

2 - Am I essentially renting games?

3 - Do they remove games from the available list, and obsolete any saves that I was using?

4 - Can you use mods?

5 - Any other things I should know?

Thanks
coopasonic

Re: XBOX Gamepass for PC

Post by coopasonic »

1- How does this app work, etc.?
The XBOX app on PC is basically just another storefront and works just like any other storefront like Steam or Epic, except the games are generally free. You can still buy DLC and permanently buy games with a discount.

2 - Am I essentially renting games?
It's more like Netflix for games or any of the other publisher subscription services (EA Play Pro, Origin Access or whatever they call it now).

3 - Do they remove games from the available list, and obsolete any saves that I was using?
Games appear/disappear monthly. Your saves aren't impacted, you'll just have to buy the game to keep playing. If you buy the game on steam the save may or may not be compatible or in the right folder by default.

4 - Can you use mods?
I never tried. I think I heard that you can mod, but when the game updates you have to reimplement them... nothing nice like steam workshop.

5 - Any other things I should know?
I think there is still an ability to convert XBOX live gold to gamepass but I am not sure the conversion is as beneficial as it used to be.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Some games don't play nice with mods. I heard that the Bethesda games some of the scripting mods won't work because of how the files are locked down. I have not confirmed this myself. Otherwise it's a pile of games that you would install and play just like any other storefront. Some games do come and go, but it hasn't been an issue for me. If it's a game I really wanted to keep on playing I would then just go and buy it. It's a really good deal. An even better deal if you also have an Xbox. My game buying is going to drastically decline as I have so much to play.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

It has been a huge benefit to play games I may not have ordinarily played.
They do leave after awhile, but so far I have had more than enough time to determine if I like the game enough to buy it.
Hell....I even finished a couple of game that I didnt buy.

And as previously mentioned, they used to have a deal to convert your Xbox live sub to the gamepass sub for dirt cheap, like a buck.
I'm good until 2023...... :shock:
Not sure what the cost is now, but I have to imagine it is still well worth it.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I know that when I was playing Phoenix Point, it did not support any kind of modding. So you would definitely have to check each game.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I would go in with the expectation that it probably won't work. I don't mod much anymore so it doesn't really matter much to me.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

stimpy wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:02 pm And as previously mentioned, they used to have a deal to convert your Xbox live sub to the gamepass sub for dirt cheap, like a buck.
I'm good until 2023...... :shock:
Not sure what the cost is now, but I have to imagine it is still well worth it.
I do have an XboxOne. It's just not even plugged in since I moved a year ago.
I don't have an Xbox Live sub, so that doesn't mean anything for me.
I believe the price is $10 a month now.

I may sign up soon.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, I'm confused. For the PC, what's the difference between Game Pass and Ultimate Game Pass? When I look it up online I see that they are the same except for
Play games from the cloud
Free Perks including in-game content and partner offers
Additional difference is this...
ALSO INCLUDES:

Xbox Live Gold
(A $9.99/MO. VALUE)

Xbox Live Gold includes Deals with Gold, Games with Gold, and console multiplayer
I'm not sure what I'm getting for the extra $5 a month. Thanks for any info.

UPDATE: I'm looking at this for getting access to the Microsoft Flight Simulator, if that makes any difference.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ultimate Game Pass gives you Xbox Live Gold for the Xbox console as well. It's a reduced bundle price.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Plus Game Pass is either PC or XBox (there are two versions.) Ultimate is both (in addition to Gold and cloud gaming.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I paid the $1 for a month's access. I looked at the other games in the library and I'm not impressed, since if it's a game I wanted I already have it and the rest I don't care about. Also it's a bit of a disappointment that the premium versions of the games aren't available. I have Uplay+ and I get all the expansions, premium add-ons and stuff like that. It would be more appealing if my Game Pass version of Flight Simulator was the premium edition.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Damn, Gamepass is coming on STRONG as a truly amazing subscription service. It's been saving me a ton of money too. Scarlet Nexus, AI Insomnium Files, Avengers, Aragami 2, Solasta, Spiritfarer, Tainted Grail Conquest, Subnautica, Astria Ascending, The Artful Escape, Sable, and Subnautica Below Zero are all games that I would have probably purchased outright at some point, but have been able to play through GamePass instead.

And those are all in just the past month.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya it's getting kind of ridiculous at this point.

Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Too bad it is still not available in Indonesia. I don't know why Microsoft doesn't want to support Indonesia. They don't officially launch XBOX in Indonesia. No gamepass in Indonesia.

Nintendo is another one that doesn't want Indonesia to buy their stuffs. With 3DS, I had to fool Nintendo to allow me to buy games by choosing Brazil. I can understand Nintendo doesn't want to bother with Indonesia since they probably don't think there is a big market for them but not Microsoft which sell software and services in Indonesia like O365, onedrive, Windows.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

You can't just vpn around it?

Victoria Raverna

Octavious wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:45 pm You can't just vpn around it?
Problem is with payment. Don't even need VPN. Just need a MS account set to a supported region then use that account but that'll require a credit card or other payment in that region/country.

Some people just make an account with fake credit card info then just pay using digital codes or gift card.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:13 pm Damn, Gamepass is coming on STRONG as a truly amazing subscription service. It's been saving me a ton of money too. Scarlet Nexus, AI Insomnium Files, Avengers, Aragami 2, Solasta, Spiritfarer, Tainted Grail Conquest, Subnautica, Astria Ascending, The Artful Escape, Sable, and Subnautica Below Zero are all games that I would have probably purchased outright at some point, but have been able to play through GamePass instead.

And those are all in just the past month.
And I think you get Origin with it so EA games without paying them too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Internet outage today. Luckily, Gamepass has an offline mode.
Spoiler:
That you have to be online to turn on. Effing useless.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:37 am Internet outage today. Luckily, Gamepass has an offline mode.
Spoiler:
That you have to be online to turn on. Effing useless.
Streaming games or does that apply to downloaded games too?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Downloaded. You have to set your system up as an 'offline system' while online.

In other words, you have to pre-authorize it.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

You mean you don't always know when you are going to lose your internet in advance so that you can prepare for it? How do you live! :shock:

:D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:43 pm You mean you don't always know when you are going to lose your internet in advance so that you can prepare for it? How do you live! :shock:

:D
Yep. Well, I've set my system up as the authorized 'offline' system via the MS store settings.

I think.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I have made a mental note to do this, now all I have to do is remember the mental note.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:32 am I have made a mental note to do this, now all I have to do is remember the mental note.
You need a memory bottle.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Thanks, I'll make a note of it.
Victoria Raverna

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:13 pm Too bad it is still not available in Indonesia. I don't know why Microsoft doesn't want to support Indonesia. They don't officially launch XBOX in Indonesia. No gamepass in Indonesia.

Nintendo is another one that doesn't want Indonesia to buy their stuffs. With 3DS, I had to fool Nintendo to allow me to buy games by choosing Brazil. I can understand Nintendo doesn't want to bother with Indonesia since they probably don't think there is a big market for them but not Microsoft which sell software and services in Indonesia like O365, onedrive, Windows.
I missed the announcement but gamepass is now available in Indonesia. So I just subscribed and found a lot of games that I paid a lot of money to purchase in it. :(

Games are not permanent in gamepass, right? So how long I have time to play games in it? Downloaded Guardian of the Galaxy and Yazuka Like A Dragon which were two games that I am glad, I haven't purchased.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:12 pm Games are not permanent in gamepass, right? So how long I have time to play games in it? Downloaded Guardian of the Galaxy and Yazuka Like A Dragon which were two games that I am glad, I haven't purchased.
As long as you are subscribed you have access to all of the games currently available on GamePass. The day after your subscription ends or a game leaves GamePass you will be unable to play it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:00 am
Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:12 pm Games are not permanent in gamepass, right? So how long I have time to play games in it? Downloaded Guardian of the Galaxy and Yazuka Like A Dragon which were two games that I am glad, I haven't purchased.
As long as you are subscribed you have access to all of the games currently available on GamePass. The day after your subscription ends or a game leaves GamePass you will be unable to play it.
There is no publicly released time that each game will remain available. BUT they do announce which games are leaving each month, so you have some time to finish them if they are leaving. The Yakuza series has been on gamepass for a long time, so I doubt they will leave anytime soon as the series seems like a mainstay of the service. Also most Microsoft first party games stay on it indefinitely.
FTE
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just saw that Watch Dogs 2 is coming to Gamepass today. For those who have never played it, it is very good, more fun that the first game and really is one of the better open world games as there are sailboat races and that's cool :wink:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Wonder if that would scratch my itch for a sailing simulator.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I think that you are thinking of Salty Dogs 2...

Black Lives Matter

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:02 pm Thanks, I'll make a note of it.
I still didn't remember to do it.