Soul Calibur

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Arcanis

Soul Calibur

Post by Arcanis »

So does anyone here have SC4? I got it a few days ago (for PS3) and have been working on getting all of the honors so i can get the best equipment for my custom characters. I was just wondering if anyone else had it and perhaps some tips for it and to see if they wanted to do some online fighting, since some of the honors require it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Isgrimnur

Re: Soul Calibur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm currently playing SC2 on my PS3. But that doesn't help you... I may get around to SC4 by the end of the Mayan calendar.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

I've got it, and enjoy it quite a bit. I'm not any good at it though.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

well then Chris let me know if you ever want to play some online matches. It could help both of us get some of the online honors. I'll add you to my friends list when i get home if your name is listed in the PS3 name list.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Arcanis wrote:well then Chris let me know if you ever want to play some online matches. It could help both of us get some of the online honors. I'll add you to my friends list when i get home if your name is listed in the PS3 name list.
Sadly, I have the XBox version.
Glycerine

Post by Glycerine »

I've got SC4 on PS3 and would be glad to do some online matches. I sent you a PM, my PSN is Glyc74.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Any tips for a new player? :)

I couldn't resist getting this once I found out about it. I even got the downloadable Yoda. I've just played a few characters through on Story Mode normal and so far it's fun but not too challenging- and I'm already grasping some of the cooler moves so they're not as indecipherable as SF4's moves are. Might have to up the difficulty level, or move on to different modes.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Yea normal story mode is pretty easy. I would say go into practice mode it has a system to show you the move and tell you how to do it. Some require the defender to be blocking or performing other moves but that is easily taken care of with the action recorder in there too.

What me and my roommates did was first beat the game with everyone to unlock all the characters then started playing around with making our own and setting up custom skills. Beware of the Apprentice he will go on long combo's that are near impossible to break. He is what they call a juggler. The best way to beat some of these guys i have found is to find a throw that puts them behind where you were and stand at the edge of the ring and chuck them out.

Also if you want a real challenge that gets diverse go to the tower of souls that gets freaking insane. Muchless trying to get the treasure chests. One set of floors we just spammed a set of attacks until we could get a critical finish, it was the only way to win.

edit: oh yea my name is in the list of PSN names if you want to add me. I haven't had time to get on my PS3 as of late with grinding GW and not wanting to fight over the TV.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

I sent PSN friends invites to both of you guys last night. It will be easier to find and fight each other that way.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Cool. I'll add you next time I'm on.

They sure didn't make it easy to find what "honors" you've won did they? I had to google where to find it. It's under "Museum" then "Battle Records" -of course- no sense in just calling it "Honors" in the menu.

I've messed around with the editor a bit (but haven't bought any items- I don't want to waste any GP on stuff I'd easily unlock in the normal course of playing) and the first time I made the character worse because I had no clue what I was doing besides switching to stuff I thought looked cool. When I tested it out, I had no skills and about 60% of my HPs. Oops- But at least Hilde looked like a sexy librarian (yeah, I went there first). I fixed that real fast.

Next I made my own custom character from scratch (again using only the items I've unlocked so far) and this time it came out very nice. Even though there's no bows in the game, I named him Geb Mu.:) He's got a nice big ax to play with.

BTW, Yoda is a real pain to fight against. He's so short that most attacks and none of the grabs work on him. I unlocked the apprentice finally. It was also my first time all the way through arcade mode. During that play though, I got to learn Vader's force choke grip real well since that's the only thing the apprentice seems to be vulnerable to.

As for the grayed out characters on the character selection screen, is the only way to unlock them to "purchase" them with game gold? I've got plenty of gold, but I'd hate to spend it if they'll get unlocked once I finish everyone else's story mode or some other such requirement.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

most can be unlocked by beating the game with a particular character, but some have to be purchased. I wouldn't worry about cash you will end up with more than you know what to do with. We have been floating around 100k since we started trying to buy everything for one of the honors, normally we're around 300k. As to unlock stuff the only way get equipment is to get the chests on the Tower, otherwise it just opens it up for purchase.

The editor is a pain because the only time you get an effective character is when they look ugly as sin. But you can do the Standard Vs mode so that all of the effects of armor and weapons is turned off.

this should help
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

This definitely is lasting longer and getting more enjoyment by me so far than SF4 did as a single player game. I've yet to play against anyone 'real' yet. I've cleared the story mode in Normal for all characters (and got the Chain of Souls thingy completed). I've done arcade mode a couple times, and have started the tower.

I've got the treasure from floors 1-6 fairly easy, but I'm at an impasse with floor 7 (the boss lizzardman who you can't miss ANY attacks on). Beating him's proving hard enough, but to never miss? Yikes!

BTW, if anyone else reading this thread is interested in matchups some time let me know. I'm TscottOO on the PSN.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

I just finished Arcade mode for the third time. My round times were under 90 seconds for seven of the eight matchups. But, Round 7: 21 minutes total! :shock: The Apprentice is a bitch! Most tries against him, I got to the 3rd round. And a lot of tries it was down to a 1/8 of our HPs for each of us. The thing is, this character knows how to go for the kill. Another thing, I'd get a couple of hits at the start, then he'd knock me down and just keep wailing on me. By the time I finally got back up, half my health was gone. I had to find a few strategies to avoid this as much as I could, and come up with a workable attack that would get me up and him out of my face. A few times, I swear he was going for a 'ring out' win in the third round, too.

The cool thing is, as frustrating as the win was for me to get, I never felt like the game was cheating and I think I'm better now with the character I was using because of it. (Unlike Some other Fighting game I tried b4)

I'm at the point where I need to pick a character or two and stick with them to learn all their moves. I've played them all now, and now I'll sometimes remember something cool that worked with one character and expect something cool with whoever I'm currently playing when I press the same buttons.

BTW, does anyone know if there is a way to see who's been leveled up in their fighting styles? I think I've got a few up to level 7 or 8, but can't remember who all they were.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

you can just go to character creator and modify an existing one or create a new one with that style and it has it on the right hand panel above your attack, defense, and hp totals.

yea the apprentice is a little punk that owns everyone for a while. As to the lizard man fight i actually got the treasure chest from that with the apprentice by backing up to the edge waiting grapple for ring out, a missed grab on a grapple counts as a miss as well.

There is an honor for scoring a ton of points in arcade mode i used a character based off of the pink ninja girl, don't remember her name, and spammed weak unblockable attacks to get that honor i don't think there is another way unless you are so awesome as to perfect every round and still that might not be enough.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Arcanis wrote:a missed grab on a grapple counts as a miss as well.
I was afraid of that. I beat the lizard boss using only grabs and didn't get the chest. I'll have to try for an instant ring out.
i used a character based off of the pink ninja girl, don't remember her name
Taki?
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Just unlocked the level 7 treasure. I tried using the Apprentice to get a ring out- but after 3 grabs, the Apprentice was rung out himself. So that left me with my other two picks to take on the boss. Voldo landed all his grabs (love that upside down spiderlike thing he does here) before being killed off. Then Kilik made the last couple grabs for the KO. Every grab I tried landed- I got the chest.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

yea Taki is the one. I always want to type Takai which is different, Japanese for death and the name of my GW assassin.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I enjoyed this.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

That was good. The ending bit was tremendous.
Black Lives Matter.