Grim Dawn -- Screen Shots and Funding Model

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sudy

Re: Grim Dawn -- Screen Shots and Funding Model

Post by Sudy »

So, it's the advance release in this October's Humble Monthy (e.g., subscribe today, get it today). I've had my eye on it for some time, so picked i up. At first I was having trouble getting into it. The combat doesn't feel as good as in Diablo 3. For all Blizzard got wrong in D3, the combat and skills were phenomenal, even from the beginning (though I know some lamented the loss of elements of build construction). I could never get deeply into Titan Quest or Path of Exile for the same reason.

However, I'm now 20 levels in and I'm starting to enjoy it quite a bit more. I respecced a little (playing Demolitionist/Occultist). For the Blizzard polish it lacks, I find I'm actually enjoying the plot... more. It's different enough to be interesting. For games that are supposed to have an aspect of horror, I find the lack of a companion and their constant narration actually really improves the atmosphere. (Sure, this all goes out the window in multiplayer loot hunts, but I usually do my first run completely solo....)

I hope it captivates me enough to stick with it. After playing a D3 season into the ground I couldn't get back into it, but have still been craving an ARPG fix. PoE, as mentioned, didn't quench it. The combat and building mechanics just killed it for me. And it seemed very difficult to easily grade items, turning a large chunk of my playtime into inventory management and paranoid hoarding.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Lee

Post by Lee »

I loved the game, put in over 150 hours, which is a lot for me. My character build was too broken to finish Ultimate difficulty though.

It sold well, but it seems to be difficult for people to get into. I keep seeing people say they love Titan Quest but GD didn't grab them. I admit I much prefer the atmosphere of TQ, but I think this game's systems are just similar enough to QT but much more evolved and interesting.

I think its another game that suffers a week opening. The starting area is too big, and it takes too long before your development choices really start to matter. Just guessing.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Frnk55

Post by Frnk55 »

I freaking love this game. The only prob I have is when getting to ultimate my build sucks and I get destroyed. So I just search for better builds and continue :roll:
Lee

Post by Lee »

Frnk55 wrote:I freaking love this game. The only prob I have is when getting to ultimate my build sucks and I get destroyed. So I just search for better builds and continue :roll:
That's me as well, never made it past the Cronley in Act 2 on Ultimate. My build sucks, but I just enjoy playing my own character and not min/maxing like you need to do for Ultimate. I had all sorts of ideas for other builds, but just don't have the urge to go back to the start as a level 1 again. Was kind of hoping for a major expansion, but I am not sure we are going to get one.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

It's on Humble Bundle for $14 (99ct cheaper than the current sale on Steam) and you get all the other tiers, too. I had my eyes on TIS-100 anyway, so will get the whole lot.
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

Man, this reminds me of why I never should play ARPGs. Almost 50 hours later I'm level 50 now. The game looks really good and makes you hunt for the thing that is slightly better than the thing you already possess.
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm big into this one, and find myself sucked right into Crucible without having gone too far in the campaign.

There's something about it that really just distills the game down to the essentials - combat & loot - that I really like. I started using the campaign and made it as far as getting to beating the Warden. Then I tried Crucible and accidentally gained 15 levels over where I was in the story.

So I made a new character, and he gained 15 levels while I tested him out. Then I made another and gained 23 levels while I tested HIM out.

I'll say that I thought I'd really like the Pyromancer, and maybe it blooms later, but I found it lacking early on. The Blademaster, though, has been awesome fun. All the Epic gear I saved from my first character (Conjurer) has been sifted through and put to good use. At level 23, he's wielding two Guardsman Hammers for over 500dps with a 1500 point Slam attack as my right-click. If it weren't for the net-throwers in wave three, he might be able to get past it - but getting locked down for 5 seconds has been death so far.

My only complaint so far is a lack of abundant universal storage to transfer/hold items for me to play with. In Titan Quest I had to use the TQ Vault 3rd party app, and would love to find something similar. Footnote - purchased through GOG, so no Steam Workshop for me here.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

There's a big patch coming soon. Would have been here already but apparently had some issues.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50647
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this was my first (of just a couple of) Kickstarter backings, and it was a good one.

could someone change the title of this thread... like remove the ' -- Screen Shots and Funding Model' part?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Greetings Backers,

Today I bring tidings of the Grim Dawn expansion "Ashes of Malmouth" and a sneak peak at the boxed copy and extras.

Ashes of Malmouth will be released on Oct 11th at 1pm EST. I'm very excited to hear people's reactions as I believe (and this seems supported by tester feedback) that we really hit a new quality level on the content for Ashes of Malmouth. I'm really pleased with the way the environments and flow of the story turned out and I think you all will be too. The Inquisitor and Necromancer also turned out to be really fun and make great additions, with all the new mastery combinations they bring.

We're working on getting expansion backer keys set up on Humble to go live for the 11th.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

that is just what I need 2 more classes to try out.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I absolutely loved the first act of this game where you head north of the city. Then when the second act started and you head west across the bridge I lost interest. I can't figure out why. It amped the difficult level up a lot and I think that might have been it. I don't like to die and walk back, die and walk back. I think I got frustrated. Maybe time to give it another whirl and start again. I know I liked the first part! :)
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

a lot like Van Helsing I found- when you see a star over a bad guy initially run until you can see what the attack is and then it is almost always hit and run anyway. Get a pet that really helps as well as you can run around like and evade while the pet whittles them down. Another tip is that right before a big battle or entering a cave/compound whatever pop your personal rift so that if you do die you can warp right back to where you were....I have learned this the hard way. Always pop your rift right before you start a big boss fight so you can get right back and they don't heal too much
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hi gang. I was gifted Grim Dawn as an early Christmas present last week and have been playing a little here and there. Im lvl 7 now and haven't spent any points at all and figured Id better as Im in the dump and starting to get hurt badly and doing less damage.

Ive chosen the path of a warrior because I love using the guns in the game and plan to stick with them for now. Later if I like I might toss in a sword or melee wep. But now I have questions.

What is devotion and which would a character like me choose to go with?

Skills - Stuff that says it adds stuff to my main hand physical damage...does that include guns? I dont see any thing that is gun specific in the skills so far.

I have 17 points to spend and dont wish to waste them. Ill pick anything that adds toughness and health to me but for the rest Im just not sure on like the ones that add elemental and extra damage. Im guessing that means guns too. Just cant tell.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Points do two things- let you level which boost your basic stats plus the levels give you access to abilities. At level 10 you pick a second path which allows you to create basically dual class and will make spending your points even more difficult

Devotion is a little bit more complex. Some paths and their constellations are heavy on pet benefits so if you are grabbing pets you avoid these but pretty much on any devotion you path you can find useful constellations. Some constellations when you complete them grant you powers that you tie to either your primary LMB or secondary RMB skill. it might be helpful to look at the outermost (most powerful) constellations see which one you want to work towards and work you way back. Many constellations grant points in multiple spheres when you complete them so you aren't really going to just concentrate solely in one anyway.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh ok thank you on the info.

I think this game is going to be much more complicated than I thought.

And pets..I didn't know there even were pets. I looked for a pet / mechanical type class and didn't see anything. I wanted a guy who tossed turrets and such haha.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

lol you are thinking of Van Helsing with the turrets.

When get a fair way in Demolitionist you get mines and a big ass mortar.

Shaman gets a pet and Occultists can both a bird and a wolf- wolf can tank and bird does ranged and you can get it to heal after you level a bit.

The new Necro class gets pets as well similar to Diablo. The Shaman thorn wolf thing and the Occultist wolf are pretty good tanks as is but add in some extra levels in the skill with gearthat has pet friendly stats and they can be quite a force.

When you hit 10 you can pick a class with pets- realize though you will still only get 3 skill points per level so there are some tough decisions every time you level.

BTW- it took me a while to realize that green gear is better than yellow and blues is better than green. Will be a long while until you get a legendary.
Also you can turn on a filter for loot so that only yellows and above show or only green and above. It won't take long before all the trash drops area nuisance.

One last thing since you said you like guns. There is blue armor that drops that lets you dual wield pistols- called fittingly Gunslingers coat or something. There is also a blue special that drops (not a medal but what goes in the left slot across from the medal slot) that allows ranged dual wield.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

lol you are thinking of Van Helsing with the turrets.
Ive been playing VH Final Cut for weeks now as that class :)
The new Necro class gets pets as well similar to Diablo.
I did not have that class listed in my choices. Must be a 2nd class pick.
BTW- it took me a while to realize that green gear is better than yellow and blues is better than green.
Well that goes against every other game ever.
There is blue armor that drops that lets you dual wield pistols- called fittingly Gunslingers coat or something.
Oh Lord I hope I have not sold that already. I figured I could already dual wield them. I even found a good one and put it in my stash thinking I could do that when I found a pistol to go with the first one. Using a nice long gun right now. Which suddenly does crap damage.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

yep the color scheme on quality of armor threw me off too- but now I have played so much it is natural and I almost to the point of filtering out yellow drops because they just don't sell for much.

It isn't depicted clearly but you have to inventory help buttons above your bag. When sorts and the other auto-completes any enhancement elements you have. You can apply the enhancements can be applied to things to beef up stats or even add new abilities (if they give you a new ability and it doesn't auto trigger you need to remember to add it to your bar.

Also you will get a quest to find the armorer so you can craft things- this is up near Burwitch.

The dual pistol wield is level 20 and a blue so i think you haven't found it yet

Just remember to pop your portal before a big fight or even in the middle of it- that way if you die you can come right back instead of having to run a ways to get to your tombstone- you absolutely want and need to do this before any big final boss fight.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:00 pm I did not have that class listed in my choices. Must be a 2nd class pick.
You will not see the Necromancer or Inquisitor classes as choices unless you buy the expansion.
Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:00 pm Oh Lord I hope I have not sold that already.
Never sell blue equipment, especially if it's part of a set. Unless of course you have duplicates. Then just keep the one with the best stats. Since you don't have the expansion your inventory is going to be very tight so you might have to create some mules to hold stuff for you at some point.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I don't think you need the expansion to store stuff in the bank. You have personal and shared space there and you can buy, very expensive expansions of the bank as well both shared and personal.

The bank is up on the second level- you get access after you finish that first major quest. You also get access to the person that you can pay to reset your skill points.

As you finish major quests you also often get a new inventory bag. By the end of the main story line I think i have 5- the pain is that they are not combined into one big bag so you have to continually click into them to see what is there and to sell.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

If you've ever played Titan Quest, it's basically the same game with different graphics and a Victorian steampunk setting. I really enjoy it, as I loved Titan Quest, but I have an awful case of altoholism. And it doesn't help that I don't like min-maxing or researching builds for classes and their synergies, I just experiment with all of them. Which means that, after purchasing the expansion for the two new classes, I have roughly 35 class combos to play with. I've created roughly half of those, and only finished the game with one of them....

Some people prefer to up the mastery itself first (which will add to your stats and health, but won't improve your damage too much), while some prefer to up a skill to the max (which allows you to basically mow your way through the lower levels very quickly). A perfect example is the Shaman. There is a first-level area of effect skill that at rank 16 deals hundreds of damage (200-300 at minimum), so you can get it maxed by level 4 and pretty much coast through the next two acts just on that skill alone. And that's not counting the dozens of other skill points you'll get while leveling frantically which you can then add to your mastery and other skills and upgrades. The first method allows you to absorb damage while you slowly plink away at the enemy. The second method makes the beginning/middle of the game very easy, but it gets a bit boring when you have to spend two or three levels at a time upping your mastery later on to get to the next tier of skills, which means you won't get any new attacks or damage between the upper levels.

It's a balance, but one that is fun to experiment with. Stick with it and find your playstyle; it's worth it. Great game.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
morlac

Post by morlac »

It is very similar to class building in Titan Quest. However, in GD there are 4 different ways to customize your characters.
I'm not sure of any other Action RPG that does this.

1. Class choice one: Attribute point increases, abilities

2. Class choice two: Attribute point increases, abilities

3. Devotion: Attribute point increases, abilities

4. Equipment: Attribute point increases, abilities

Most people don't realize #4 but a lot of 'builds' are based around specific equipment. GD has equipment that grants special abilities. Both passive and active. Some offer really cool procs when taking damage others may grant a special attack. I love that it adds yet another layer to building your class. Of course it completely sets my altitis into overdrive and makes perfect synergy a challenge I'm not willing to chase :P
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: .. In case anybody is interested in experimenting with builds ... a blank, level 37, character .. named WARD .. can be found HERE

the effort was done in 2015, but I assume it will work

I know nothing of the Mod-Scene for this game .. so, maybe there are character editors now .. maybe muling apps
Ain't nobody got time for that
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ARISE, THREAD!

Just starting this game due to the OO effect in another thread.

I am confused about beating a boss and his minions in a certain area, then wandering around a bit, maybe teleport back to town to sell stuff, then back again to make forward progress, and the boss reappears! WTH?!

Are the mechanics reset every time you go to town and back to the same area? If so....booooo!!!
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Which boss was it? Respawn does happen but I don't think it always happens with every one.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I replay this game about once a year with a new character. Putting in about 40-60 hours each playthrough before I stop. Really fun game that's a nice change from Diablo 3. They still patch it with new stuff.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Started this a week or two back, and am enjoying it. Primarily as I'm not playing any other Diablo-esque games right now. Still very early on, but I like the quests, and characters, and loot. Also fun in short bursts, recently playing from rift portal to rift portal. I wish I could mark the map though, as I discovered a cave, that I didn't feel like exploring after a longish play session, and I'm sure I'll never find again. Otherwise - good fun so far.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Have played this quite extensively, and I enjoyed it. Love the Titan Quest class system, as it allows me to shamelessly indulge my altoholism and create dozens of toons to try the combos. I even enjoy trying to solo a class with no combo. Between this and TQ, I probably have created 40 or 50 characters, no exaggeration.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:52 pmI am confused about beating a boss and his minions in a certain area, then wandering around a bit, maybe teleport back to town to sell stuff, then back again to make forward progress, and the boss reappears! WTH?!

Are the mechanics reset every time you go to town and back to the same area? If so....booooo!!!
A boss will respawn if you've gone back to the title screen or quit the game. Most things will, except for the occassional "One Shot" chest that dumps awesome loot just once per game. Those are usually hidden behind breakable walls.

As long as you don't quit, everything you've killed will stay dead - bosses and minions. Some bosses do summon minions, but that's different and the minions don't respawn without the boss. I consider the Riftgates (portals) to be the closest thing to "save points" as you can return to your place in the map without having to fight back to get there.

I do sometimes find myself surprised when I see enemies in areas I swore I cleared, but it always turns out to be a little pocket of them I managed to run around without engaging.

In Veteran difficulty, bosses will regain health when you die but not respawn. Not all of their health, but enough to make them annoying if one whips your ass. Veteran also comes with like .... 3x the good loot (with 3x the Champion monsters), so it's worth it to me. Veteran can be toggled on and off by returning to the title screen and flipping the switch there, and then going back in.
Black Lives Matter

Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I've been playing the Diablo 2 Reign of Terror mod, mentioned by rittchard. One thing I hadn't expected but really appreciate is that the original Diablo 2 classes are there as well as the GD ones.
Which means that I'm currently playing a double-necromancer, selecting the D2 Classic Necromancer and the GD Necromancer at L10 to be the Lichbound class. Skeletons for everybody!
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

That sounds ... like too much? In a good way, though. Like too many toppings on ice cream.

I've been Alt-a-holic'ing on this one hard. I keep skipping around and trying different classes and builds.

The most absolutely monstrous one I've had so far, though, was a Trickster (Shaman/Nightblade). It doesn't sound like much, the but buffs and attack boosts from Nightblade mixed in with insane Lightning/Elemental damage from Shaman is overpowering. I got the idea from having a full set of the Wildcaller's armor & axe. I don't even use pets or whirlwinds. A select few weapons suit this class perfectly, all of them having Lightning damage instead of Physical or anything else. My Trickster is at level 55 and does something on the order of 10,000dps and can hit for over 23,000 in a single whollop if he crits. A strong Wendigo Totem gives him the +health from attack he needs to sit in front of almost any boss, even ones with high DoTs that usually send me running. I plunked him into Crucible and cranked up to level 90 (score over 500,000) on his second try. His first pass ended with the Retribution-heavy cultist blood mages in big flowing robes; they got me to wipe myself out almost instantly once their debuffs were up. The only reason I didn't push harder on the second pass was because at 89/90 some things were hitting me hard enough to cut my health in half and I did a lot of running and letting a pair of Lightning pillars do some work for me (don't get points for their kills, but they sure as hell help enough to make it worth it). Stopping at 90 was still a good payday with one fleshy chest included in the rewards. 500,000+ points blew my old record of 390,000 (set with my level 57 pet-centric Cabalist) out of the water. Added bonus is that there are some really good Devotions for +Lightning, +Cold, and +Attack Speed if you're using 2H.

So then I figured I'd try something new and picked up the Warlock (Arcanist/Occultist) and am greatly underwhelmed. The best thing I can sort out of this combo is to use the first -50% speed/-Elemental Resist debuff in concert with the Sky Shards. If I try and use anything else, I'm splitting my damage types too many ways to effectively concentrate them. Between them I could do Lightning, Cold, Vitality, Bleeding, Fire, and Chaos. But not in great concentrations. A little of each, or a lot of one or two. Trying to use pets as distractions was a waste of skill points and I rolled them back in favor of a deeper debuff. Knocking 20% off something's Elemental resist isn't bad when you're slamming it with high-damage Cold and Lightning. It's not a blitzing class like the Trickster was, though.
Black Lives Matter

Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Very big update ... Grim Dawn V1.1.9.2 Changelog

Many enhancements.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’m in the middle of a game. Do we know if it breaks current saves? Wouldn’t kill me to restart, but prefer not to.

Didn’t see it mentioned in changelog (so I assume it doesn’t ).
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Didn't break my current game.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:57 pm I’m in the middle of a game. Do we know if it breaks current saves? Wouldn’t kill me to restart, but prefer not to.

Didn’t see it mentioned in changelog (so I assume it doesn’t ).
Did not break my saves