Grim Dawn -- Screen Shots and Funding Model

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: Grim Dawn -- Screen Shots and Funding Model

Post by YellowKing »

I had played about 2 hours several months ago but decided to wait until it was released. Content complete is good enough for me, though, so I'm back into it heavily. Having a lot of fun with an Occultist.
morlac

Post by morlac »

YellowKing wrote:I had played about 2 hours several months ago but decided to wait until it was released. Content complete is good enough for me, though, so I'm back into it heavily. Having a lot of fun with an Occultist.

Same, played a bunch the last few days. I got my Demonologist/Occultist up to level 13. Great mix and a blast to play...literally.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

GreenGoo wrote:First purchase of the sale.
This slipped in under my radar . . . I only found out about it because I saw it in someone's wishlist while 'listmasing and clicked on it to see what it was. I picked it up because it seemed decent and I'd like to toss a bone to some starving independent designers. Having a blast with it so far. The talent trees seem a little empty at first, but I imagine that's because they attach a lot of skills to either items or the devotion tree, which makes for more varied choices, which I can get behind.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

GreenGoo wrote:Hit level 11 with an Occultist.

Feels very Titan Quest-y.

Having fun.
It should, as some of the team are the same as the Titan Quest team. I would say, for those on the fence, the game is very much like an updated Titan Quest (same leveling and "class" type system) set in one of those "horror" fantasy worlds (which, unfortunately, is a bit unoriginal with PoE, Diablo, Van Helsing, and Victor Vran around). Still, it feels better than Van Helsing and Victor Vran, IMHO, and I certainly prefer it to PoE, which I could never fully grok.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fretmute wrote:
This slipped in under my radar . . . I only found out about it because I saw it in someone's wishlist while 'listmasing and clicked on it to see what it was. I picked it up because it seemed decent and I'd like to toss a bone to some starving independent designers. Having a blast with it so far. The talent trees seem a little empty at first, but I imagine that's because they attach a lot of skills to either items or the devotion tree, which makes for more varied choices, which I can get behind.
Titan's Quest was designed as a class pairing character build. Putting 2 classes together made for fairly unique and fun characters. I'm assuming the same goes for this game, although so far I've stuck with single classes to climb farther up each skill tree faster to see what it has to offer.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

GreenGoo wrote:
Fretmute wrote:
Titan's Quest was designed as a class pairing character build. Putting 2 classes together made for fairly unique and fun characters. I'm assuming the same goes for this game, although so far I've stuck with single classes to climb farther up each skill tree faster to see what it has to offer.
You get to pick a second class mastery at level 10. With 2 classes in play there are plenty of skill choices. Then there's the Devotion system, which has another 50 skill points to choose even more skills from (Devotion is kind of like Path of Exile's skill tree). That all adds up to a ton of customization.

I just started an Occultist/Shaman summoner build yesterday. Got him up to 18 by the time I drug myself off to bed very late last night. The game is HARD to put down.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Dammit.

Ok, guys, if you could only suggest ONE to play from the list below, which would you pick?
Grim Dawn
Diablo III
Torchlight 2
TQ Gold

I played through almost all of Torchlight 1 and really enjoyed it, didn't appreciate the "more of the sameness" of TL2 (but that was probably close to my putting so much time into TL1), so didn't get very far into that one, and played all the Diablos prior to the most recent. Barely touched on TQ.

Hit me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I never was able to get into Torchlight, but I loved the second one. Not sure how that fits with your experience.

Titan Quest I thought was awesome - back in the day. I think the big sell (at the time) was that it wasn't another fairy/elf/orc fantasy Diablo clone. The ancient Greek/Egyptian/Asian theme was refreshing (at the time) and the artwork/landscapes were stellar. I liked the character progression and the skill trees. I don't remember exactly what I picked, but I remember really enjoying it. Probably some type of defense buffed melee powerhouse, cutting through everything.

I played through Diablo 3 once. Apparently that's not how the game was designed as they wanted me to then keep playing at harder and harder difficulty levels. No thanks. Was it fun? I guess. It wasn't bad, but it also wasn't something I thought was worthy of all the praise. I was a big fan of the original simply because it was like nothing else at the time. Didn't get into the second one, so I played #3 mainly because of the history of the series. I wasn't overwhelmed. I would imagine someone really into Diablo might feel differently. It wasn't bad, I just wasn't all that impressed.

I've only spent a few hours with Grim Dawn and it reminds me very much of Titan Quest (no surprise there). Once again, it's the theme that I think it's going to be the big seller here. Depending on what you're looking for, I think that should drive your choices.

You've also left off the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing trilogy. I only played the first one, but really enjoyed it. I had no expectations and it delivered a fun experience. Nothing ground breaking or innovative, just a solid game.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote:You've also left off the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing trilogy. I only played the first one, but really enjoyed it. I had no expectations and it delivered a fun experience. Nothing ground breaking or innovative, just a solid game.
Ah, good catch, thanks. I can't remember if it was Van Helsing 1 or 2 that I put maybe 2 hours into, but thoroughly enjoyed it. And it should absolutely be on this list.

The only reason I didn't dig TL2 was because I had recently spent SO much time in TL1, that I was borderline overloaded on the genre. I am sure if I picked it up again today, I would play through. It's like playing all the way through Baldur's Gate, then immediately starting Baldur's Gate II (and maybe Icewind Dale after!)

So for you, if someone never played through TQ, would you say skip it and go for this instead? I am at a point in managing my mind-numbing backlog, that I need to start just archiving old stuff that I will never play, and especially if there is a better version of that game out there.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From what I remember, you like movies about gladiators, right? :D

The themes for Titan Quest and Grim Dawn are completely different. Are you in the mood for medusa or shambling horrors?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Be careful with TQ. I have performance problems even on my modern system because it does not play nice with some newer programs or drivers. I would get Grim Dawn instead, as they feel very similar.

I love Diablo 3, but more on the console than on the PC. Torchlight 2 is fun, but for some reason the classes seemed boring to me and the leveling up was not overly compelling. Still, it is the closest thing to Fate out there these days, which is a bit of a shame.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

For me, it's D3 hands down because I don't like being stuck in builds and D3 let's you respec as you go along and get different gear. Also it's not a story game anymore, you should do the story once (or not at all if you have RoS and do Seasons) and then never venture there again. The fun is in Adventure mode, where you can get bounties and do rifts for better loot. There's a ton of ways to modify your gear (ways which don't require a wiki to understand like PoE). I like the classes as well, they all feel very different. You WILL need RoS to get the full enjoyment from the game, but it's gotten like a gazillion times better since release. There's no more auction house, in case that's the last time you played.

Grim Dawn consistently locks up my computer, and again with a dizzying array of choices in PoE, I didn't feel like being bothered to figure out everything.

D3 on console doesn't get all the good stuff that D3 gets on PC, like Seasons.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Carpet_pissr wrote:So for you, if someone never played through TQ, would you say skip it and go for this instead? I am at a point in managing my mind-numbing backlog, that I need to start just archiving old stuff that I will never play, and especially if there is a better version of that game out there.
If you can only play one of the two, I'd say go for Grim Dawn just because it's newer and the UI, combat, and graphics are a little slicker. However, you really owe it to yourself if you're a fan of ARPGs to go back and play through TQ at some point. It's a fantastic game that has held up remarkably well considering its age.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I enjoyed PoE but ultimately it felt its sprawling passive tree and convoluted crafting system were more clunky than fun. I also felt that there were a lot of decent looking builds that worked at lowish levels but that became slow and ineffective at medium to higher levels. Just having poor builds be possible isn't a big deal; its more or less required in such a game, but the structure of the skill tree and needing to really plan 80 - 100 nodes from the start was.

TL2 didn't really get much of a shake from me because I found it much more visually distracting. For whatever reason I would lose track of the cursor all the time in TL2.

I still like the look and theme of TQ but I think GD has fewer jumps in difficulty.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Lorini wrote:because I don't like being stuck in builds and D3 let's you respec as you go along and get different gear.
You can respec in Grim Dawn. The respec NPC is in the first town, upper right. It will cost you but it's trivial unless you want to undo all 60 points or something. Unspecing your first point costs 25 iron bits.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

ColdSteel wrote:
Lorini wrote:because I don't like being stuck in builds and D3 let's you respec as you go along and get different gear.
You can respec in Grim Dawn. The respec NPC is in the first town, upper right. It will cost you but it's trivial unless you want to undo all 60 points or something. Unspecing your first point costs 25 iron bits.
It's free and much easier in D3. You can do it any time anywhere unless you are in combat or a greater rift.
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

Diablo 3 - As Lorini mentioned, vastly different than at it's release and an awesome ARPG, little beats it IMHO for production value, possibly my favorite
Torchlight 2- Played the crap out of this game...excellent classes and skill trees, very fun, definitely a more frenetic pace, the addition of player made mods give it lots of legs
TQ Gold - Great ARPG, would put it at the top of the heap for it's day...bit long in the tooth at the moment with lots of other options, some of the design/mechanics can get tiresome (having to massively stack a single resist etc.)
Grim Dawn - very close to Titans Quest but for me it falls short...definitely a personal preference but I am not finding the skill trees as exciting (took several characters to level 30-ish) also not a huge fan of the dark atmosphere, at the time I was playing game balance was definitely off but very good chance they have fixed that by now (step into a dungeon/instance and immediately die)

I would also throw Path of Exile in the mix, if you like power-gaming and don't mind the minutia I'd put it above Torchlight 2, otherwise I would rank it just below since you can run through the full game at least once on multiple characters without worrying too much about the details
Would also mention Marvel Heroes 2015 which is an awesome ARPG in it's own right and I would rank even or just slightly behind with Diablo 3 on my personal "scale"
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I would say D3, now days it's superb and nothing like the release.

PoE I have played some and still do but it didn't drag me in like D3 did.

At present I am playing Grim Dawn and like it but I would still pick D3 over it if I hadn't played it a lot.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I have managed 4 epic items so far and am at level 14. Playing a Warden which is a Soldier/Shaman and have got a level 18 epic ring I cannot use yet. 2 level 14 belts which is a shame as both are really similar and the best item which is a set of epic level 14 fire boots that give me flaming feet and leave a flame trail as I walk along.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I've been playing this off and on since it first released after backing it on Kickstarter. Not sure why exactly, but I seem to have a lot more fun with this than a lot of other ARPGs. Fun mechanics, responsive controls, good level system.

I'm up to level 40 as a pure demolitionist. I've been putting points into nothing but one of my attack boosting powers and a skill that lets me throw a pipe bomb and on the whole it's been working well for me, especially with some items that let me wield dual pistols.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm installing nvidia drivers from two iterations ago, maybe that will help. My whole system locks up now except I can get it unlocked eventually unless I'm playing Grim Dawn.
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

Sepiche wrote:I'm up to level 40 as a pure demolitionist. I've been putting points into nothing but one of my attack boosting powers and a skill that lets me throw a pipe bomb and on the whole it's been working well for me, especially with some items that let me wield dual pistols.
This sums up my main issue regarding my earlier comment about the skill tree and skills. I like using lots of powers in ARPG's, one of my initial misgivings toward D3 is the heavily reduced number of skills you can have active on your skill bar. This appears to be the trend nowadays with a several of the ARPG's. I realize Grim Dawn allows for about the same number of skills in the hot bar but I felt like there were a bit too many passive skills in the tree. It also seemed, to me at least, that the game mechanics favored picking one or two skills and investing heavily as Sepiche is doing. Path of Exile had a similar feel early on what with almost the entire skill tree being passive but they have released a ton of new skill gems and modified the tree a bit to make it feel more dynamic to me now. I really like skill synergies and figuring out different combos and which active skills work best together even if it is all just illusion (you are still just clicking buttons to make stuff die).
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

what worked was to run the game in a smallish window...I'm up to level 9 now and no crashes. Yes, I'm liking the TQ vibe as well.
Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Tao wrote:This sums up my main issue regarding my earlier comment about the skill tree and skills. I like using lots of powers in ARPG's, one of my initial misgivings toward D3 is the heavily reduced number of skills you can have active on your skill bar. This appears to be the trend nowadays with a several of the ARPG's. I realize Grim Dawn allows for about the same number of skills in the hot bar but I felt like there were a bit too many passive skills in the tree. It also seemed, to me at least, that the game mechanics favored picking one or two skills and investing heavily as Sepiche is doing. Path of Exile had a similar feel early on what with almost the entire skill tree being passive but they have released a ton of new skill gems and modified the tree a bit to make it feel more dynamic to me now. I really like skill synergies and figuring out different combos and which active skills work best together even if it is all just illusion (you are still just clicking buttons to make stuff die).
I don't know what classes you've been playing but I've been having to use 2 of the 4 available skill bars in the game to hold all my active skills. When you are using 2 classes for your build there are plenty of active skills. Also, I've not gotten that far in the new devotion skill tree but I've already picked up two more active skills there.
Tao wrote:but I am not finding the skill trees as exciting (took several characters to level 30-ish)
If you've only leveled to 30 then you're only about a third of the way to the level 85 cap. Many of the best skills tend to be at the end of the trees and you aren't going to be able to finish even a single class tree at that level.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Lorini wrote:what worked was to run the game in a smallish window...I'm up to level 9 now and no crashes. Yes, I'm liking the TQ vibe as well.
It sounds like it might not support your full screen resolution for some reason. You might try changing the resolution in windowed mode to make your window bigger and see if it remains stable. The other thing you can do is try different resolutions in full screen mode and see if that makes it stable as well.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Just in case people don't know
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Lorini wrote:what worked was to run the game in a smallish window...I'm up to level 9 now and no crashes. Yes, I'm liking the TQ vibe as well.
You aren't running Team Viewer by chance, are you? I've found a few games that won't run full screen with Team Viewer running, most memorably, Sleeping Dogs.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Thanks for the info Lorini! I've been playing for over 60 hours and didn't know that. I've been breaking down my duplicate epic items, but trying to choose between them was getting very frustrating!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I don't understand how food works in the game. I was told I was out of constitution and could use food, and even though I'd pick up some along the way, I couldn't find it in my inventory. What gives?
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

ColdSteel wrote:
It sounds like it might not support your full screen resolution for some reason. You might try changing the resolution in windowed mode to make your window bigger and see if it remains stable. The other thing you can do is try different resolutions in full screen mode and see if that makes it stable as well.
I went to a 1320 resolution and it didn't freeze. I might try a different resolution in full screen as well, as I greatly prefer full screen. Thanks for the help.
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Food is consumed when you pick it up.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Lorini wrote:I don't understand how food works in the game. I was told I was out of constitution and could use food, and even though I'd pick up some along the way, I couldn't find it in my inventory. What gives?
You have 2 health bars in the game, both are represented on the same place in the UI. Your first, health, works just like you would expect -- lose all of your health and you die. Constitution is used to restore health. You'll notice while you are fighting and taking damage that your health bar goes down, and after the fight your constitution bar will go down a little bit while your health regenerates. If your constitution is completely gone, you can't regenerate your health. Eating food (which you find out while adventuring, and is picked up immediately by just walking over it) regenerates your constitution bar back to full.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just to help clarify, your constitution "bar" is the yellow overlay on top of your health bar.

It's a weird (new/different) game mechanic but it works and tops up your health after each fight so you don't have to be constantly drinking health potions.

When your constitution runs out you can just drink health potions until you find some food/vital essence/whatever that "heals" your constitution. You can also drink health potions while in a fight of course.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I just finished up on normal difficulty, killed the last boss in Act 4 and unlocked 'Elite' difficulty so I'm ready for my second run-through. I'm looking forward to the much better gear in the higher difficulties.

It was a very fun run with my Conjurer. He's at level 50 now and has gotten some nice pet gear. I have 4 pets now and will be able to get 2 more to add to my menagerie after I max out the Shaman tree. That's going to take a while.

I think they'll need to adjust the difficulty of the last boss some. He's just insanely hard right now. It's about as bad as the last boss in Path of Exile was before they toned him down. Lots of dying. That's the only boss in the game I had that kind of trouble with. One thing's for sure, I'm not looking forward to trying to beat him again on Elite. Hopefully they will balance him out somewhat before I get there again.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I found the full set of Marauder's gear for my Occultist, so I'm walking around dual-wielding pistols and cutting stuff down like a total bad-ass. It's been a lot of fun.

I told myself that I'd only run through it once since my backlog is so large, but I think there's a strong possibility that I'll run through it again on Elite. Will probably wait until after retail release though so that those balance issues get ironed out.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have serious alt-itis in most games like this, and this one is no exception. I'm trying out builds I've found on their forums, and that gives me a goal and purpose that I find compelling beyond just roaming around killing stuff for loot (+quests).

The demolitionist and nightblade are both extremely strong classes in their own right, although like Titan Quest there are some interesting combinations. Occultist/Shaman with maxed out hellhound and briarthorn is ridiculously easy, at least early on.
Tao

Post by Tao »

How did you guys gear for Depraved Sanctuary??? I first found it around level 16 or 17 and managed to clear to the boss then managed to get him to 40% health but was just barely staying alive so bailed figuring I would come back later. Went back in at level 25 and now Salazar is level 31 and absolutely everything I throw does no damage to him, zip, nada, nothing. I keep reading about all of this crazy gear folks are finding but I am on my 3rd character attempting a Shaman build with my highest 25. I've found 2 blue pieces and both were Tomes, where's the good stuff dropping??
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

YellowKing wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:So for you, if someone never played through TQ, would you say skip it and go for this instead? I am at a point in managing my mind-numbing backlog, that I need to start just archiving old stuff that I will never play, and especially if there is a better version of that game out there.
If you can only play one of the two, I'd say go for Grim Dawn just because it's newer and the UI, combat, and graphics are a little slicker. However, you really owe it to yourself if you're a fan of ARPGs to go back and play through TQ at some point. It's a fantastic game that has held up remarkably well considering its age.
I will agree with this, and add on there is a great mod called Underlord. It tweaks most of the classes and skill trees in very interesting ways, including more pets, and visual improvements when you add points to them. For example, skeletons gain a ghostly helmet at level 4, chest armor at 8, and full plate at 12 (or something like that). It also adds some great weapons and armor sets, and makes the game MUCH more challenging with more monsters per group and making them tougher. You gain xp much faster, allowing you to try out more specs and such. TQ was my version of the Diablo-killer. Of course, D3 has truly sucked me back in with the seasonal stuff, and I've been having a blast playing with The Wanderers over the past few weeks at the end of Season 4. Season 5 starts in 10 days, so if you play on PC, you can start off fresh with everyone else in the world in season play. They added a Horadric Cube interface that allows you to create uniques from rares if you have the (easily obtained) ingredients, re-roll set pieces to get a different part of a set (have three gauntlets of the same set? Turn them into the helm or boots or chest armor from the same set so you now have 3 different items!)
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Tao wrote:How did you guys gear for Depraved Sanctuary??? I first found it around level 16 or 17 and managed to clear to the boss then managed to get him to 40% health but was just barely staying alive so bailed figuring I would come back later. Went back in at level 25 and now Salazar is level 31 and absolutely everything I throw does no damage to him, zip, nada, nothing. I keep reading about all of this crazy gear folks are finding but I am on my 3rd character attempting a Shaman build with my highest 25. I've found 2 blue pieces and both were Tomes, where's the good stuff dropping??
I've only been in there once (which is where my reference to Diablo-esque horror comparison comes from) and I don't remember anything special. Unfortunately it was probably on my very first character and I haven't been back, so my memory is useless for this sort of thing.

I do have another character who has the key but he hasn't gone to it yet. If/when I go through it again I'll let you know what I learn.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I wanted to get this game, but I'm starting to develop Carpal Tunnel :( Figure this wouldn't be good idea to get.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"