Grim Dawn -- Screen Shots and Funding Model

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: Grim Dawn -- Screen Shots and Funding Model

Post by YellowKing »

Good call, naed. As it is I have to limit my playing time to an hour or less each night because I start getting a bad case of Diablo Wrist.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Tao wrote:How did you guys gear for Depraved Sanctuary??? I first found it around level 16 or 17 and managed to clear to the boss then managed to get him to 40% health but was just barely staying alive so bailed figuring I would come back later. Went back in at level 25 and now Salazar is level 31 and absolutely everything I throw does no damage to him, zip, nada, nothing. I keep reading about all of this crazy gear folks are finding but I am on my 3rd character attempting a Shaman build with my highest 25. I've found 2 blue pieces and both were Tomes, where's the good stuff dropping??
I did it around level 16 on my Conjurer. That last boss is hard. I just used normal yellow gear that I had at that level. I mainly tried to avoid the red stuff he threw out and stayed out of his way while my two pets killed his little friend first and then him. It wasn't easy and I died a few time before I managed it because he ignores your pets and goes right for you every time.

Most of the epic blues drop from bosses and don't start dropping until level 18 or so. The Warden drops some nice blues including a great two hander if you feel like farming him. The spined cove in act two has a lot of bosses and is short and great to farm for blues and greens at your level. It's also just a short run from the nearest rift. Legendary purples start to drop around level 50 or so. I had my first 3 purples drop yesterday at level 55. I'm now using two of them. The third is a great occultist chest and I'd normally use it since it gives +2 to Curse of Frailty but it doesn't include any pet bonuses like my current green chest does.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Tao

Post by Tao »

I am guessing I screwed up on the Sanctuary then and waited too long. Should have gone back in before either finishing act I or there is some level trigger that makes the instance jump to the next tier. Will wait till I level to 30 to close the gap and try again hopefully before he jumps in level again.

My current level 25 is a 2handed pure Shaman, also started up a Conjuror (level 15) and a Warder (level 15). Only have one death on my pure Shaman and that was to Salazar. He Doombolted me while I was standing in the red circle :( Be nice if he had some sort of cast time on the ground targeted spell, especially for melee. It just suddenly appears beneath your feet and then its a mad scramble to get out of it. Liked the conjuror until I started using Frailty which is bad as I instantly draw all the aggro off my pets. Though the Warder would be good but the sheer volume of resists you have to account for, 15 I think at current count, is ridiculous and I see why there are a lot of glass canon builds....something is going to get you eventually no matter how tanky you are.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Tao wrote:Liked the conjuror until I started using Frailty which is bad as I instantly draw all the aggro off my pets.
I use Curse of Frailty constantly on my conjurer. It reduces mob speed by 50% and I have some +18% speed boots so I just run around while my pets kill them. Most of the time they kill them before I need to run though. I use the Shepherd's Call Devotion skill tied to my briarthorn skill (just one point), which is an AoE DOT, and it procs it reliably off of the DOT ticks. That gives my pets +160% damage for three seconds and not much survives that, not even bosses. I also have my other devotion skills tied directly to the pets (one skill for each) so that they can proc them directly themselves. It works great.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I specced pure Occultist. I use one of the fully ugpraded Eye of Dreeg skills (can't remember what it's called) but it's basically like throwing a hand grenade into a group of mobs. High damage against bosses and takes out multiple minions in one click. Then I've got my raven pet who is running around proc'ing lightning damage, then my Hell Hound which is proc'ing flame and other damage.

I'm in Act 3 and so far haven't had any problems. I've died maybe 3 times, once from a boss who one-shotted me, once because I just wasn't paying attention, and once because I got stuck on the terrain and couldn't back out of melee range.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I just killed The Warden and got some Epic Trousers called Soiled Trousers with a skill called Throw Feces.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I have some legs called "pretty nice pants" (and they are). Some humorous stuff in the game. One thing I really like is the lore journals that you find. The story is actually pretty well written and makes sense, unlike a lot of these types of games. Some of the serial journals set are particularly well done and set the game atmosphere very nicely. Like the one with the woman traveling on the trail and using her little girl to lure people in so they could kill and eat them when food ran out.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Beat the last boss today first try. Not sure if it was because I was overpowered, or the last balance patch nerfed him, but I didn't come close to dying even though I had to spam potions throughout. Did take quite awhile though.

Because my game backlog is so large I probably won't be replaying anytime soon, but I'll definitely keep this one installed so that I can come back to it at some point. Great game that I enjoyed almost as much as Titan Quest. The only reason it's still below Titan Quest in my rankings is the setting - I enjoyed the more original feel of TQ, whereas Grim Dawn feels like the same generic dark fantasy world as Diablo, Van Helsing, etc.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

YellowKing wrote:Not sure if it was because I was overpowered or the last balance patch nerfed him
b30 nerfed him pretty good on normal according to the patch notes. I'm not sure about elite and ultimate, I guess I'll find out.

I have 2 characters on an elite play-though at the moment. My conjurer at level 60 and a saboteur at level 64. I'm actually enjoying playing the saboteur the most these days. He's a lightning build and relies on crits to proc tempest in the devotion tree and has a bunch of other proc on attack lightning skills from items and the demo mastery. So much fun. Of course Crate had to nerf the hell out of OA in the latest hotfix so not my crit rate is half of what it was. I hope they rebalance it some more in the next patch.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Apparently the last patch was the release build and it is leaving early access on Thursday.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cr ... ts/1499175
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

I've put 176 hours into it -- over several years -- and was just getting re-addicted at the time XCOM2 dropped. :D

The late added Devotion system adds quite a lot of flexibility to character development and the shrines add some good reasons to be thorough in going through areas. The Constellation system reminds me a bit of Path of Exile (which I enjoyed but didn't remain a devotee of). It's fun to figure out and lots of really cool abilities/spells/passives available through it.

Excited they were able to find some extra money at the end for fully voiced main quest line NPCs.

Never did much co-op. There's no secure server (so people can hack savegame willy nilly). Doesn't bother me that much -- and I like that by default every player gets their own loot in GD -- but I probably would've done more co-op on some sort of battle.net approximation but I understand a 10-person dev team wasn't going to be able to do that.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

So my joke is nobody on Steam realizes this finally released yesterday (25th) because everyone's Steam news feed is clogged with XCOM 2 mods -- Steam friends' "favoriting" a mod, or a new one being posted etc.

I love XCOM2 but wish we could disable mod mentions/favoriting clogging up the Steam activity feed. I can barely see anything else on it now. :P
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I played for a few hours a couple days ago and I don't really get the appeal. I had the same problem with the Torchlight games and Van Helsing. For some reason Diablo 3 is the only one that grabs me. Titan Quest was the last non-Diablo game in this category that I really liked. I don't know why. The game looks really nice, it plays nice, but the loot just doesn't do it for me maybe?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I will say Grim Dawn starts off a bit slow. I started it at least twice in earlier iterations before it finally got its hooks into me.

I agree it's not quite as compelling as Diablo 3, but I still enjoyed it. I think I'll enjoy it more the second time around, as the loot drops seem to be more interesting on the harder difficulties.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Weirdly Grim Dawn is one of the few ARPGs besides Diablo to grab me. Something about the setting and pacing maybe... not sure, but I enjoy it. I also really like doing missions to upgrade the hubs as you follow the story.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I went back to this game and I really like it! Although I doubt I'll ever push the difficulty up, the fun part will be to play different combinations of characters. I tried it with the Steam controller but there were too many things to memorize, so I went back to KBM.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Just realized a bunch of you kindly responded with some beefy answers to my question above, and somehow missed them til now. Thanks for that...(question comparing the 3/4 better ARPG titles)

Someone mentioned that if going for Diablo III, you MUST get the expansion - why? And do they not bundle it with the original title for criminey's sake?!
morlac

Post by morlac »

blackjack wrote:I've put 176 hours into it -- over several years -- and was just getting re-addicted at the time XCOM2 dropped. :D

The late added Devotion system adds quite a lot of flexibility to character development and the shrines add some good reasons to be thorough in going through areas. The Constellation system reminds me a bit of Path of Exile (which I enjoyed but didn't remain a devotee of). It's fun to figure out and lots of really cool abilities/spells/passives available through it.

Excited they were able to find some extra money at the end for fully voiced main quest line NPCs.

Never did much co-op. There's no secure server (so people can hack savegame willy nilly). Doesn't bother me that much -- and I like that by default every player gets their own loot in GD -- but I probably would've done more co-op on some sort of battle.net approximation but I understand a 10-person dev team wasn't going to be able to do that.

They just released a patch to Titan Quest adding dedicated multiplayer. It's in beta. Im guessing they will import it into Grim Dawn once they bug test it.

We finally completed our initial chunk of work. We are sorry it took so long but we wanted to do it properly.

To access the beta please do the following:
Follow this guide
Under Step 1 select "Titan Quest Immortal Throne"
Password for step 4 is: nordictqitbeta
The branch for Step 6 is named publicbeta

Changelog

24th February 2016
- Added new multiplayer and lobby system
- Implemented NAT Traversal and NAT Proxy Connectivity Layer
- GameSpy removed
- Added support for 1280x720 resolution
- New Shadow Mapping rendering technique
- Shader & Renderer Improvements
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Just realized a bunch of you kindly responded with some beefy answers to my question above, and somehow missed them til now. Thanks for that...(question comparing the 3/4 better ARPG titles)

Someone mentioned that if going for Diablo III, you MUST get the expansion - why? And do they not bundle it with the original title for criminey's sake?!
Because without the Adventure Mode and all that comes with it, the game is not very good frankly. I don't know why they don't bundle it.
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Hah, really getting into this game, really clicking form in terms of speccing out my character. I've got a dual wield gunslinger with an emphasis on attack speed, 127%, mainly to get the procs on all my items to go off:

Elemental Seal, 10% on attack, 400+ elemental damage, 6 seconds, 4 meter radius
Lightening Barrage, 5% on attack, 12 particles, 100-1200 lightening damage
Lightening Sphere - 5% on attack, 225 - 550 lightening damage
Lightening Bolt, 10% on attack, 300 - 2300 lightening damage -this is my boss killer, drops with a boom from sky with a really cool effect

So on attack, something is firing off about a third of time, which is pretty often.

And then these two on defense:

Canister Bomb, 5% on hit, 80 piercing, 180 fire
Static Charge, 20% on % melee hit, 200 - 800 lightening damage

When I get in a fight, all hell breaks loose with bombs, lightening flying all over the place, screen shaking, etc. Most mobs just melt, and most bosses don't last too long either. I'll admit I'm playing on normal, which is about my speed for these games. But it is crazy seeing all the fireworks on the screen go off.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Sorry, my earlier post made it seem like Grim Dawn had NO multiplayer. :oops: Grim Dawn has a perfectly fine integrated game browser and has had that for a long time now.

Would love to play some Grim Dawn with folks here. We could even just set up an evening or weekend afternoon time or something to play an "Octopus Overlords" character so we could level some characters similarly. :D

What I meant is GD has no secure, Crate-run anti-hacking type battle.net-ish server -- they're tiny, no deep pockets, all understandable -- so pretty much anyone can hack their savegames to death and have 9999999999 of everything, is how I've understood it. TQ MP is the same. It didn't necessarily bother me, I mean I never did anything but co-op in either game. Does bother folks who want to feel confident they're always joining a "clean" MP game.

I think what was done for Titan Quest was to improvise a replacement player game browser for the "Powered by Gamespy" browser -- which went defunct some years ago with Gamespy's demise -- in the original release.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

How do I get to Fort Ikon for Act 4? I've finished Act 3 and have been told to join the Black Legion there but I look at the map and don't a way there. There's no connection from the Act 3 map to the Act 4 map so I am lost at this point. How do I move on?
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Grifman wrote:How do I get to Fort Ikon for Act 4?
It's well to the north of Homestead past Sorrow's Bastion and the Blood Grove and through Darkvale Gate. That will get you to act 4. Follow the road from there.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

ColdSteel wrote:
It's well to the north of Homestead past Sorrow's Bastion and the Blood Grove and through Darkvale Gate. That will get you to act 4. Follow the road from there.
That's the problem, how do I get the road north. I want through the dungeon at Darkvale Gate and somehow (I don't remember) just went back to Homestead. Let me go through the dungeon again and see where I come out at. I obviously missed something there at the end.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Grifman wrote:That's the problem, how do I get the road north. I want through the dungeon at Darkvale Gate and somehow (I don't remember) just went back to Homestead.
Right down the road to the west from the Darkvale dungeon exit there is a rift gate for that area. It sounds like you missed triggering it.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

ColdSteel wrote:
Grifman wrote:That's the problem, how do I get the road north. I want through the dungeon at Darkvale Gate and somehow (I don't remember) just went back to Homestead.
Right down the road to the west from the Darkvale dungeon exit there is a rift gate for that area. It sounds like you missed triggering it.

Yea, I was so anxious to sell all my loot and rifted away right there and then lost my rift.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Practice, practice, practice.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finally got around to picking this up yesterday. I think I like it (played up to level 7), but am not sure about a couple things:

1. Is there any sort of quest journal? I have this big list of quests on the right side of the screen, but they all have very vague details (i.e. "kill X number of X monster" or "find X person"). There's no indication of where I might go to find these monsters/people/magic doohickeys, and the map doesn't seem to give much guidance either. There's a star on the map if I happen to get close to the quest objective, but that's the extend of the direction I can find. There's a line in there about "tracking your active quest", but I have no idea how to make a particular quest active over others.
2. Is there any opportunity to respec? Or do I need to have my character development path laid out entirely in advance? Just curious if I can experiment, or if I need to do some research and simply pick an already established build path before getting too far into things.

It's certainly aptly titled..."grim" is a very good descriptor.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

In early Alpha, they toyed with "Chipper Dawn", but it didn't do too well.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ignore my first question...I found the quest log. :doh:

My problem now is that the game keeps randomly crashing my system. Not just the application...it freezes the whole thing, requiring a restart. It seems to be completely random, and happens anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes into any session. All my drivers are up to date and this is the only game it happens with, so I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting. :?
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Skinypupy wrote:Finally got around to picking this up yesterday. I think I like it (played up to level 7), but am not sure about a couple things:

1. Is there any sort of quest journal? I have this big list of quests on the right side of the screen, but they all have very vague details (i.e. "kill X number of X monster" or "find X person"). There's no indication of where I might go to find these monsters/people/magic doohickeys, and the map doesn't seem to give much guidance either. There's a star on the map if I happen to get close to the quest objective, but that's the extend of the direction I can find. There's a line in there about "tracking your active quest", but I have no idea how to make a particular quest active over others.
2. Is there any opportunity to respec? Or do I need to have my character development path laid out entirely in advance? Just curious if I can experiment, or if I need to do some research and simply pick an already established build path before getting too far into things.

It's certainly aptly titled..."grim" is a very good descriptor.
To answer the respec question, in the back corner of the jail (upper right, if that makes sense), there is an NPC that will take back any points you have put into individual skills. You can NOT, however, get any points you have put into the archetype, like the level of occultist or arcanist for example.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

On the crashes, Crate said it's seen player reports of problems with the latest NVIDIA driver version, and for now suggest rolling back to an earlier driver version. Some Helldivers PC players are also complaining about crashes after latest NVIDIA driver update. It's not 100% certain that's the cause, just it seems to be prevalent. I've stayed with the prior driver iteration for now and have been OK in The Division, Helldivers and this (knock on wood :shifty: ).

On the quest log, thought I'd mention that like, say, Lord of The Rings Online, they prefer to give you vague directions sometimes when a quest is sending you towards a location, boss, NPC, new small NPCs hub etc. So you're more likely to get a "follow the road north, then west" or "head south and then look for so and so to the east" directions, rather than precise pointers. I appreciate this style up to a point, but found that as later acts get more ambitious with the maps (terrain bridges, paths sort of snaking over, under, overlapping), this vague direction stuff sometimes had me walking around in circles.

So if that gets frustrating, several player- or news site-created online wikis spell these out more precisely, and I've on occasion consulted them when I feel too frustrated trying to find something. :)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Forgot to mention that I'm on Radeon, so it's probably not the Nvidia drivers. :)

Are the maps persistent? I got the sense they were randomly generated (a la Diablo), but haven't really paid much attention. Good to know if they same stuff will be in the same place each time.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Are the maps persistent?
nope. static like in Titan Quest.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote:
That's what I meant. Wrong term. :)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:
That's what I meant. Wrong term. :)
and i misread your intent completely. whoops

is it possible to remove the "-- Screen Shots and Funding Model" from the thread title, as this has become THE Grim Dawn thread? ...actually, i don't think Bob still posts here anymore.
morlac

Post by morlac »

hitbyambulance wrote:
Sorta...

The map itself is static but pathways through the map will alternate. There may be a turned over wagon blocking one way or a downed tree, etc. Those are random. Also, the mini boss caves, cellars, etc. are randomized as well along with rifts, mobs, etc.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I loved my first 5-6 hours of Grim Dawn, but have started to cool a bit. The loot system - which is the core aspect of any game like this - seems to be wildly unbalanced. I got a few blue items around level 15 (two weapons, shoulders, pants, and helm), and have not seen a single drop in the subsequent 20 levels (now around 35) that is better than that initial gear. Takes most of the fun out of the game when none of the bazillion drops from mobs and bosses are any better than the stuff I picked up 6 hours ago. So either I got incredibly fortunate on some early drops, or I've been incredibly unlucky since. Either way, it's making the game somewhat, well, boring.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Skinypupy wrote:I loved my first 5-6 hours of Grim Dawn, but have started to cool a bit. The loot system - which is the core aspect of any game like this - seems to be wildly unbalanced. I got a few blue items around level 15 (two weapons, shoulders, pants, and helm), and have not seen a single drop in the subsequent 20 levels (now around 35) that is better than that initial gear. Takes most of the fun out of the game when none of the bazillion drops from mobs and bosses are any better than the stuff I picked up 6 hours ago. So either I got incredibly fortunate on some early drops, or I've been incredibly unlucky since. Either way, it's making the game somewhat, well, boring.
One thing I have found is exploring everything is crucial. Everywhere. Even places on the map that look like dead ends. They upped the exploration on this one over Diablo in spades, because when you find those non-mapped areas, there is ALWAYS a chest, and it 90% of the time contains a blue or green. I have also found that, similar to Titan Quest, many times a green is better than a blue. If you look on the map and there appears to be a faint shape outside the bright pathways, start walking around the edge of that area. Most of the time you'll find a section of trees you can walk through or a brick wall you can knock down or something that will let you pass through. I have a transfer stash FULL of greens, blues, and completed icons to be made into artifacts. I just wish they had a Grim Dawn vault like they had a TQ Vault... It looks like the same game, so it's probably not that hard to do for someone with the know-how (which I am not).
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
morlac

Post by morlac »

New patch out and new free content:

"New Content: The Hidden Path. Venture down the elusive route taken by the followers of the Witch Gods and discover the secrets known only to their most loyal servants. Your journey begins near Lower Crossing, but requires some Dynamite.
The Hidden Path includes a wealth of new lore, 5 new bosses, a new dungeon, 3 new Monster Infrequents and 7 new Unique items."

Plus a ton of tweaks, fixes, itemization etc. too numerous to list.

Best ARPG I have played in years and keeps getting better.